• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: John Riccitiello fears losing his job as EA CEO (update: just "a bad joke")

-says things he probably shouldn't
-pontificates having flimsy grasp of facts
-makes poorly timed or just inappropriate jokes
-sometimes wears his heart on his sleeve

michael pachter is like everyone's awkward dad.

AHA-Lambda

No wonder, under him he tried bold strategies with new IP. It never payed off and now they're seen as the spwan of satan that does nothing but bitch and moan about tis competitors prodcuts whilst copying said products without the same success.

Oh and you can bet that shareholders must be PISSED! about swtor.

Derrick01

Banned
EA became a much better company when John Riccitiello tookover. If anyone doesn't remember, EA's quality of games were pretty bad for a few years leading up to when Riccitiello got hired

They're even worse now. Everything they make is designed to chase the highest amount of casuals possible.

JBuccCP

So the only prediction Pachter gets right turns out to be a "joke", lol.

Anyway EA has no business losing money with as many big ips as they have.

FIFA
Madden
Battlefield
Medal of Honor
Need for Speed
Sims stuff
Mass Effect

Those alone should be raking in the dough for any competently run company. And they still have good selling stuff like Burnout and Dead Space, NCAA, NHL, ect..

JaxJag

Banned
They're even worse now. Everything they make is designed to chase the highest amount of casuals possible.

No, you must really not remember EA's lineup before Riccitiello.

They were releasing such gems as Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, bad need for speed games, bad sports titles like NHL and FIFA, Lord of the Ring games every year.

Nothing reaching the quality of Dead Space, Mass Effect, the current NHL/FIFA games. Not to mention they were not publishing titles like Bulletstorm and Shadows of the Damned.

EA is a much more quality company now. They might not be as profitable, but they produce better games.

Derrick01

Banned

They were releasing such gems as Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, bad need for speed games, bad sports titles like NHL and FIFA, Lord of the Ring games every year.

Nothing reaching the quality of Dead Space, Mass Effect, the current NHL/FIFA games. Not to mention they were not publishing titles like Bulletstorm and Shadows of the Damned.

EA is a much more quality company now. They might not be as profitable, but they produce better games.

I don't know those games are about the same quality as DS and ME, just not as high of a budget.

Chairman Yang said:
Nonsense. Riccitiello came back to EA in 2007 when games like Mass Effect and Dead Space were already in the pipeline (not to mention other well-regarded games like Crysis and Skate)

This is true too. I can't blame Riccitiello for dead space at least, yet I can't give him credit for Mirror's Edge. But he has been a colossal waste during his tenure.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen

Nonsense. Riccitiello came back to EA in 2007 when games like Mass Effect and Dead Space were already in the pipeline (not to mention other well-regarded games like Crysis and Skate). And games like Bulletstorm and Shadows of the Damned just show that partnering with EA is a death knell for most games; despite being critically fairly well-received and producing devoted fanbases, EA couldn't market them well enough to make them sell.

Let's be absolutely clear here: Riccitiello is a corrupt and incompetent disaster of a CEO; he's mostly squandered EA's massive resources; he's destroyed value for employees, shareholders, and people who enjoy video games; and few leaders in the game industry deserve to lose their jobs more.

AzaK

#developconf Michael Pachter - Nintendo what a messed up company. They don't know what they're doing

#developconf Michael Pachter I think the Wii U will be an abysmal failure. The next Xbox will be your TV receiver

‪#developconf‬ Michael Pachter - Nintendo is at risk of going away in the next decade. You only need to make a couple of bad decisions...

And then he said, its thanks to call of duty the traditional games industry has already died. Its finished.

Developer reaction
Altered Gene Studios ‏@Altered_Gene
“@pgbiz: #developconf Michael Pachter - Nintendo what a messed up company. They don't know what they're doing” /Erm, seriously…?

FireFlyNick ‏@FireFlyNick
Trying to count the number of times people have bet against Nintendo and been wrong #pachter #developconf

I wouldn't go so far as patcher but nintendo are floundering a little tbh. The last few years have been devastating for their share price.

I think the thing with anything Pachter says about nintendo you just need to divide by 10 to get the real level of concern.

Also, I don't follow EA but why have they been doing so badly? Have they made some bad decisions since Ricotello?

FStop7

Banned
Nonsense. Riccitiello came back to EA in 2007 when games like Mass Effect and Dead Space were already in the pipeline (not to mention other well-regarded games like Crysis and Skate). And games like Bulletstorm and Shadows of the Damned just show that partnering with EA is a death knell for most games; despite being critically fairly well-received and producing devoted fanbases, EA couldn't market them well enough to make them sell.

Riccitiello was with EA from 1997 - 2004 and then returned in April 2007.

He brokered the $500 million merger between BioWare and Pandemic in 2005, while he was with Elevation Partners.

EA's BioWare/Pandemic acquisition happened in October of 2007.

Seems like he had a "if I ever went back to EA I'd buy these guys" type plan in the back of his mind for quite some time.

I wouldn't go so far as patcher but nintendo are floundering a little tbh. The last few years have been devastating for their share price.

I think the thing with anything Pachter says about nintendo you just need to divide by 10 to get the real level of concern.

Also, I don't follow EA but why have they been doing so badly? Have they made some bad decisions since Ricotello?

but in the mean time there product is number 1.........and they sell the most software each year. Pachter refuses to even except the 3ds is doing great.

what share price hasnt been devistated?

Sonys is at there lowest since the 80s......microsoft isnt doing hot, neither is nintendo, ea, or anyone.

When you start to look at the cash there was a chart somewhere that nintendo could last until 2075

scitek

I was listening to the local all news station here the other day and they played a soundbyte from Pachter talking about something tech related. I can't remember what, but I was like, "Hey, I know who that guy is."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
#developconf Michael Pachter - Nintendo what a messed up company. They don't know what they're doing

#developconf Michael Pachter I think the Wii U will be an abysmal failure. The next Xbox will be your TV receiver

‪#developconf‬ Michael Pachter - Nintendo is at risk of going away in the next decade. You only need to make a couple of bad decisions...

And then he said, its thanks to call of duty the traditional games industry has already died. Its finished.

Developer reaction
Altered Gene Studios ‏@Altered_Gene
“@pgbiz: #developconf Michael Pachter - Nintendo what a messed up company. They don't know what they're doing” /Erm, seriously…?

FireFlyNick ‏@FireFlyNick
Trying to count the number of times people have bet against Nintendo and been wrong #pachter #developconf

Basically

"URGH, NINTENDO MADE ME ALWAYS LOOK LIKE AN ASSHOLE!!!UUUUURGH, I HATE THEM! MY PREDICTIONS ARE LIKE PROPHECIES, I CAN'T BE WRONG, UUUUURRGH!!! I HATE THEEEEEEMMM AND I WANT THEM OUT OF THIS INDUSTRYYYY, AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!"

legend166

Riccitiello was with EA from 1997 - 2004 and then returned in April 2007.

He brokered the $500 million merger between BioWare and Pandemic in 2005, while he was with Elevation Partners.

EA's BioWare/Pandemic acquisition happened in October of 2007.

Seems like he had a "if I ever went back to EA I'd buy these guys" type plan in the back of his mind for quite some time.

That's because he had money invested in them. He paid a hugely inflated price for a company he had investments in.

That's not dodgy at all!

Peter is awesome. Worst mistake MS did was letting this guy go. He was great at the E3 conferences and was also key at making the 360 what it is today.

Top Bottom