• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is waiting for Sony to reveal PS5 price to undercut it with Xbox Series X, say Michael Pachter and Peter Moore

The entire creation of the Xbox brand is literally Microsoft mighty bank account put in action.

And it’s a possibility that Microsoft could inject the brand with more money anytime they want to if they see that can help them make more money in the mid/long run.

And let’s not underestimate the importance of videogames, Microsoft knows they can make a lot of money from them and build an image amongst the younger generations. The videogame industry is super huge already and only seems to get bigger and bigger every generation.

I remember the days in which talking about a videogame console was something out of this world that very few little nerds knew about. Now every parent and even grandparents talk about Fortnite, Pokemon or Fifa.
What you are talking about was the original plan. Three game generations later, what does Xbox have to show for it?

The video game industry is getting bigger and bigger... But Xbox is NOT growing with it. Switch and PS4 grew. Xbox One came third.

I have a feeling that MS executives are well aware that sunk cost is not recoverable. So the question is, what is the point of sinking more money into Xbox?

All well and good if you talk of Xbox being self sufficent and profitable. But if you talk about Microsoft gifting the division even more money, that is is FANTASY. Xbox had not earned that right.

Jon Neu

Banned
What you are talking about was the original plan. Three game generations later, what does Xbox have to show for it?

The video game industry is getting bigger and bigger... But Xbox is NOT growing with it. Switch and PS4 grew. Xbox One came third.

I have a feeling that MS executives are well aware that sunk cost is not recoverable. So the question is, what is the point of sinking more money into Xbox?

All well and good if you talk of Xbox being self sufficent and profitable. But if you talk about Microsoft gifting the division even more money, that is is FANTASY. Xbox had not earned that right.

Xbox started from nothing and now is selling more than 130 million consoles in the last two generatios alone. How is that not showing anything?

Of course they made terrible mistakes this gen, but they did incredible feats the past gens. They just have to be back on track and they can sell even more.

Remember, in the Xbox 360 era, MS was close of surpassing Sony. They had lost that momentum with the Xbox One, but if they did it once, they can do it again.

Some talk like Xbox is some kind of not profitable brand just because Sony and Nintendo sell better right now, but Xbox have been making money since years ago.

You obviously have zero business literacy whatsoever.

Compare revenue and profit from Xbox in 2001 VS today and come back overhere with a smarter response please.

Ascend

Spencer said in one live stream interview that the price is determined at the very beginning of designing a console, that it's one of the most important factor to consider before going into the whole R&D process, so I don't believe either of the two companies are waiting for each other to reveal the price. Bottom line is, they are more or less build on the same solutions, same technologies, delivered by the same suppliers, I'll be surprised if there's gonna be 50$ different between the two consoles.
Even though this is true, more things are at play, and it's generally not that simple. A console development cycle is generally close to 5 years. A LOT can happen in five years. So even if you have a set price at the beginning, and even with projections regarding how technology will move, you still have to be flexible down the road.

We know both Sony and MS are using AMD for their hardware. Look at the advances AMD has made in the last 5 years, with the help of TSMC. Something as simple as that can immediately shift the entire structure of your console design plan. Prices can still end up being a lot more flexible than before, simply because of the advancements. The XSX APU is pretty much the same size as the Xbox One X, while being over twice as powerful. They probably got better than they expected for the same die size, and die size (and node) being directly related to cost means they can likely be flexible.

No one knows what they will price the consoles at. I do know that they are both extremely capable machines and are a steal if they are anything below $600.

Xbox started from nothing and now is selling more than 130 million consoles in the last two generatios alone. How is that not showing anything?

Of course they made terrible mistakes this gen, but they did incredible feats the past gens. They just have to be back on track and they can sell even more.

Remember, in the Xbox 360 era, MS was close of surpassing Sony. They had lost that momentum with the Xbox One, but if they did it once, they can do it again.

Some talk like Xbox is some kind of not profitable brand just because Sony and Nintendo sell better right now, but Xbox have been making money since years ago.

Posts like his just shows how many people have absolutely no idea whatsoever what they're talking about, like just zero.

You obviously have zero business literacy whatsoever.

Compare revenue and profit from Xbox in 2001 VS today and come back overhere with a smarter response please.
I am not talking about shutting the division down; I am talking about giving Xbox MORE money. Sure, Xbox can exist as long as it is profitable and thus self sustaining. But asking for more funds? On what grounds?

Ascend

I doubt they'd have to pump more money in Xbox to undercut Sony, than they had to do to compensate for the RROD.

I am not talking about shutting the division down; I am talking about giving Xbox MORE money. Sure, Xbox can exist as long as it is profitable and thus self sustaining. But asking for more funds? On what grounds?

The business is growing, management gives you more funds. End of story.

mejin

Just both sell it for 399 lol

MS could bank it if they wanted it. There would be no need to wait for the leader's action. The problem is....imagine a scenario where even if they started at this price, but still get rekt? PS5 selling better at a higher price, so they would have nothing to counter it. It would be hell to explain to shareholders, even more to justify their need of their own hardware in the market.

I doubt they'd have to pump more money in Xbox to undercut Sony, than they had to do to compensate for the RROD.
Look at it another way, no one is saying that Sony should pump more money into Playstation; everyone expects that Playstation pay its own way, and in fact help support the weaker divisions of the rest of the Corporation.
So why is it, that Microsoft is fine with Xbox not paying its own way? Why is it that only with Xbox, the talk is about the Microsoft Sugardaddy showering cash from the heavens to help out?

Every time there is talk of a warchest, it is an admission that Xbox can't do what it does without outside help. Because what exactly is a warchest anyway, but money Xbox Division hadn't earned?

Look at it another way, no one is saying that Sony should pump more money into Playstation; everyone expects that Playstation pay its own way, and in fact help support the weaker divisions of the rest of the Corporation.
So why is it, that Microsoft is fine with Xbox not paying its own way? Why is it that only with Xbox, the talk is about the Microsoft Sugardaddy showering cash from the heavens to help out?

Every time there is talk of a warchest, it is an admission that Xbox can't do what it does without outside help. Because what exactly is a warchest anyway, but money Xbox Division hadn't earned?

Do you have ANY evidence whatsoever for what you're saying? Answer is no. You're just using your imagination.

MS has dropped countless of ventures in the past. Take Zune or Windows Mobile for instance because they weren't profitable or not holding there own.

Every generation they've pumped more and more money into Xbox because the business has been growing constantly.

Maybe you should contact MS because there's obviously something you see that they've missed.

Last edited:
Do you have ANY evidence whatsoever for what you're saying? Answer is no. You're just using your imagination.

MS has dropped countless of ventures in the past. Take Zune or Windows Mobile for instance because they weren't profitable or not holding there own.

Every generation they've pumped more and more money into Xbox because the business has been growing constantly.

Maybe you should contact MS because there's obviously something you see that they've missed.
Why "pumping more money"? Shouldn't Xbox be making money already?

Why isn't Sony "pumping Money" into Playstation? Maybe it is because Playstation doesn't need money pumped in from the outside, because it is making money to spare to run its operations and to grow it.

Saying "Xbox has a war chest" is like saying one's parents are filthy rich; to bring it up is rarely a sign that one is self sufficient.

Why isn't Sony "pumping Money" into Playstation? Maybe it is because Playstation doesn't need money pumped in from the outside, because it is making money to spare to run its operations and to grow it.

Saying "Xbox has a war chest" is like saying one's parents are filthy rich; to bring it up is rarely a sign that one is self sufficient.

Okay you're making less and less sense. I'll just drop the discussion here, you do your thing :)

Last edited:
Okay you're making less and less sense. I'll just drop the discussion here, you do your thing :)
I guess we are talking past each other, or you are just ignoring my point; that it is not something to be proud of that Xbox is still looking for further investment from its parent. That even recent threads tried to argue that Microsoft should buy up SEGA.

Does anyone suggest that Sony should buy up Sega to help Playstation? And why not? Why is it that there is no talk of the Sony parent company sending aid to Playstation, and yet it is normal in any speculation thread to assume that Xbox should get more money it didn't earn?

Why is it that anyone would expect MS to buy SEGA? What does that tell us about the difference in financial health between Xbox and Playstation?

oldergamer

xbox one series s will release at the same time as PS5, but xbox series x will release in september/october accoridng to some rumours.
That is a BS rumor. MS hasn't even shown series S yet or announced when its coming. MS has only mentioned series X is coming this fall. Series X is releasing in the same time window as PS5. It already went into manufacturing.

From what i read, SX is going to be used mostly as a BC box, with sometimes great "exclusives", you could play better on PC.

Off course, it's going to be cheaper than PS5. No one is going to pay an important price for what is a BC box for XBOX games, a brand that has not the appeal of SEGA or Nintendo.

I'm not paying more than 300€ for it, but honestly i don't need it. Before price, they have to sell it... 4k/30 fps version of based ps4 games?!? Nope. Everything has to be at least on par with PC (4k 60/120 fps) or it's dead.

Don't sell your hardware Phil but let's talk about PS5 price, a hardware with games you could only play on it, unlike your box.

Last edited:
That is a BS rumor. MS hasn't even shown series S yet or announced when its coming. MS has only mentioned series X is coming this fall. Series X is releasing in the same time window as PS5. It already went into manufacturing.

Series S is supposedly launching at the same time as PS5 in the Holidays. Xbox one series x is meant for the hardcore gamers, but Series s if for the casual. Which is why it is launching in the Holidays.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Series S is supposedly launching at the same time as PS5 in the Holidays. Xbox one series x is meant for the hardcore gamers, but Series s if for the casual. Which is why it is launching in the Holidays.
No its not. Like i said before that is a BS rumor. MS has said NOTHING about Series S up until now. They have ONLY talked about series X. Not only that, they haven't specifically said when series X is launching!

That rumor is based on nothing factual, or to be honest, based on logic. Don't spread nonsense.

Last edited:

PlayVerso

While Microsoft waits, I will continue to wait until Microsoft really has something new and attractive to offer the gaming community that is currently more excited about Sony.

I think if Microsoft hadn't focused on the whole TV aspect prior to launch and not included the Kinect which drove the price to $500 they would have done much better this gen, if they would have just released the console (even though it was slower) with just a controller for $399 they would of had much better market share than they did. I feel like they will probably be pretty close in price if not the same price when they launch, I am expecting XSX to be $499 which is the same launch price as the Xbox One X, the PS5 I feel like will probably be $449-$499, but hearing the info that has been flying around I feel it will probably end up at $499 as well, if either one go over $499 I think it won't go over well, especially with all the crap that the world has going on at the moment. I don't see either one being $399 this gen...

yeah, would be funny... until Sony realizes that the company they are up against is called Microsoft and not Xbox..? Right..?
But Sony is not against Microsoft. Most of Microsoft's Software business have very little overlap with Sony's Hardware business. It is just Playstation and Xbox that are directly competing.

Hell, if Playstation somehow completely destroy Xbox as a brand tomorrow, Microsoft as a whole would barely feel it. Microsoft would just see it as Xbox failing and not take it personally thinking Sony is some bitter rival. The Playstation VS Xbox is such a tiny kid's fight in the playground sandpit that the parent company would not really get involved.

revben

Neo Member
I guess we are talking past each other, or you are just ignoring my point; that it is not something to be proud of that Xbox is still looking for further investment from its parent. That even recent threads tried to argue that Microsoft should buy up SEGA.

Does anyone suggest that Sony should buy up Sega to help Playstation? And why not? Why is it that there is no talk of the Sony parent company sending aid to Playstation, and yet it is normal in any speculation thread to assume that Xbox should get more money it didn't earn?

Why is it that anyone would expect MS to buy SEGA? What does that tell us about the difference in financial health between Xbox and Playstation?
What?

To reconnect with the topic at the start; if Xbox Division was to aggressively price-cut the Series X like the first post considered, where do you think the money would be coming from? The Xbox Division, or would it require outside funds from the greater Microsoft?

That's my point. That most discussions about Microsoft assumes that it has access to funds outside of its own division. And that this has been going on so long that most people don't understand what is wrong with it.

If Xbox Division could only stand a chance if Microsoft gifts it more money, then Xbox Division has already lost.

revben

Neo Member

You clearly know nothing about MSFT as a company and why they would be pumping money into Xbox. Let me tell you, Azure, that the reason.

More specifically Project Xcloud that leverages Azure. MSFT wants to win everything in the clouds, including gaming and Nadella has spoken about how massive gaming is. If MSFT did not have Xbox, they would be trying to buy Sony or Nintendo now.

So of course they are going pump nearly unlimited money into Xbox. They will pump as much money as they much to win the cloud was. Even sell XSX for $300.

This barely has anything to do with Sony and more having mindshare lead over Amazon and Google. As Phil said, Amazon and Google are Xbox real competition. If you don't believe me, go listen a few Msft earning calls.

That's like saying Sony recently baught Insomniac, therefore sony must not be doing well.

If Sony/MS/Nintendo don't keep trying to improve by gaining more better studios/games/ips/ecosystem etc... then they're not doing their job. Competition is only going to increase.

MS has been criticized for over a decade for having weak 1st party/exclusive output....now that MS is doing something about it... you some how try to turn it into a negative?

It's clear MS dropped the ball this gen. But they are making all the right moves to bounce back for next gen. Nintendo bounced back after the gamecube and WiiU. Sony bounced back after the PS3. There is no reason why MS can't as well. And seeing Apple, Google,Amazon trying to get into the mix, only movtivates MS more.

Last edited:

yurinka

Well, with 360 they had that chance because almost everything related with PS3 launch was a total disaster due to many mistakes: from pricing to releasing it like a year and a half later to making it too difficult to develop for, to slow start in terms of amount and quality of exclusive games, many former exclusive series going 3rd party because next gen games were too expensive to keep them exclusive and/or PS3 being released way later, etc.

For the things we know for PS5 is taking the common sense decisions for launch they took for PS4, PS2 or PS1. And when they did it they dominated the generation. Unless they go horribly wrong with pricing, everything else seems to go on the right way. And regarding pricing, for what we heard it will be somewhat expensive but not too expensive and offering a good cost/value balance, so I bet it will be $499.

Considering how well they did it on PS4, if everything else is ok/same than in PS4, I think Sony will dominate the generation again even if their console is even $100 more expensive than MS.

Azure, that the reason.
Azure doesn't have anything special compared to other similar clouds like the ones from Amazon or Google. In fact, very little gaming companies store their servers on Azure because price or performance. And well, for Azure game servers are a small portion of their clients.

But yes, in any case I agree with you in that Amazon or Google are the main competition for Microsoft, since for them gaming is a small portion of their company, which overall is more focused on PC and services. Sony's case is pretty different, since for them gaming is now their more important division. For Sony their main competition in consoles and games is MS, and soon seems that in game streaming services too (I'd bet xCloud will perform better than Stadia). In VR MS still isn't their competition, but I think MS will bet on VR as a mid gen refresh (like Sony did in PS4 and I bet will do in PS5).

MS has been criticized for over a decade for having weak 1st party/exclusive output....now that MS is doing something about it... you some how try to turn it into a negative?

It's clear MS dropped the ball this gen. But they are making all the right moves to bounce back for next gen. Nintendo bounced back after the gamecube and WiiU. Sony bounced back after the PS3. There is no reason why MS can't as well. And seeing Apple, Google,Amazon trying to get into the mix, only movtivates MS more.
MS learnt from their own mistakes and from what the market leader -Sony- was doing well or better than them. They keep buying studios to improve the 1st party offering and released or are working on their own versions of PS Now, Remote Play or Cross Buy.

It's positive, but we still have to see if all this pays off. I think they will improve their numbers, but won't be enough to beat Sony

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Who knows if its true but it would fit.

They did say they would not be beat on price OR power. Plus I do actually expect them to throw in a 6 month GP sub on top of everything.

They have been about value for a while now, I expect that trend to continue. Its how you up your customer base after all.

Zok310

Banned
The real question is, are microsoft pockets deep enough to sell a console that is a steal even for 600 dollars at 400 dollars just to fuck sony in the ass??
They clearly would be fucking themselves in the ass by your logic, which i cant see a person doing. But would like to see MS try, if anyone can fuck themselves in the ass its MS.

nordique

Can Sony afford to subsidize the price significantly?

in the end it’s us as consumers who win with lower prices!

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member

Xbox is doing pretty good and I’d say they compete pretty damn well in the US. They definitely have to do a better job in Europe and the rest of the world.

One word. Gamepass.

Xbox was created to prevent APIs other than Direct X to gain much traction, spilling into home PC and risk Windows domination.

Before Xbox consoles had exotic architectures. MS was successful considering how easy it is to port PS4 games to PC.

12Dannu123

Well, with 360 they had that chance because almost everything related with PS3 launch was a total disaster due to many mistakes: from pricing to releasing it like a year and a half later to making it too difficult to develop for, to slow start in terms of amount and quality of exclusive games, many former exclusive series going 3rd party because next gen games were too expensive to keep them exclusive and/or PS3 being released way later, etc.

For the things we know for PS5 is taking the common sense decisions for launch they took for PS4, PS2 or PS1. And when they did it they dominated the generation. Unless they go horribly wrong with pricing, everything else seems to go on the right way. And regarding pricing, for what we heard it will be somewhat expensive but not too expensive and offering a good cost/value balance, so I bet it will be $499.

Considering how well they did it on PS4, if everything else is ok/same than in PS4, I think Sony will dominate the generation again even if their console is even $100 more expensive than MS.

Azure doesn't have anything special compared to other similar clouds like the ones from Amazon or Google. In fact, very little gaming companies store their servers on Azure because price or performance. And well, for Azure game servers are a small portion of their clients.

But yes, in any case I agree with you in that Amazon or Google are the main competition for Microsoft, since for them gaming is a small portion of their company, which overall is more focused on PC and services. Sony's case is pretty different, since for them gaming is now their more important division. For Sony their main competition in consoles and games is MS, and soon seems that in game streaming services too (I'd bet xCloud will perform better than Stadia). In VR MS still isn't their competition, but I think MS will bet on VR as a mid gen refresh (like Sony did in PS4 and I bet will do in PS5).

MS learnt from their own mistakes and from what the market leader -Sony- was doing well or better than them. They keep buying studios to improve the 1st party offering and released or are working on their own versions of PS Now, Remote Play or Cross Buy.

It's positive, but we still have to see if all this pays off. I think they will improve their numbers, but won't be enough to beat Sony

They will improve their numbers. Consoles Sony will likely outsell Xbox. But overall taking into a game Streaming, PC and a consoles, Microsoft will likely win out.

Sony is at a significant disadvantage, especially in Cloud Streaming. The biggest blunder so far for Sony was to abandon their partnership with Samsung in promoting PSNow, instead of expanding it they killed it and just about when Cloud Gaming is about to become a competitive market Microsoft partnered with Samsung and left Sony totally out of the picture.

Last edited:

Genx3

I see MS matching Sony's price.
I really doubt they'll undercut it.
Pachter is right only about 1% of the time so this is very unlikely.

SSfox

The only way MS can undercut Sony is by showing better and more interesting exclusives games than what Sony will show

And good luck for that.

He also said that when he knew about the specs in the Road to PS5 he felt better about themselves. If they are going to match Sony's price, they remove any implicit value that XsX may be offering. Power is always relevant. Maybe it does not matter to you or me, but it is relevant.
Nintendo never does this, they will sell old product at premium price and people will buy it, they sell value as they have always stated.
That is the message I am getting from MS, we offer no value, here it is XsX please pick me because I am cheaper.

Did it "remove value" from the more powerful PS4 when it was $100 cheaper?

This is a silly argument.

DrAspirino

Banned
Actually with an install base of around 110 million PS4s vs 50 million XB1s the one who can wait is Sony. ;)
I’m expecting $499 for ps5. But wouldn’t be surprised if it’s $399. The first year or so of losses should be negated by ps4 profit.
You truly have absolutely no idea.

You really think Sony will allow that its ONLY "money maker" division (PlayStation) to wait much longer or to even ride along all the units they've sold?

Those 110M units profits were already spent sustaining all other Sony divisions (TV, professional equipment, audio, etc), so they can't count on that, specially now that they have to pay Microsoft the monthly (or yearly) fee for using their Azure server infrastructure.

On the other hand, Microsoft is such a big company (1 TRILLION USD) that they could easily wait all they want. Heck, even if the PS5 outsells XSX, they'll still make a profit from those users, since they'll be using Microsoft's Azure infrastructure for online gaming. Compare that to the 87.88Billion USD Sony's marketplace worth and you'll see why Satya Nadella is confident: Microsoft's future doesn't depend on the Xbox brand....while Sony's entire future depends on the PlayStation brand.

So... at least Pachter has it right this time. Or as the popular adage goes, "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
You truly have absolutely no idea.

You really think Sony will allow that its ONLY "money maker" division (PlayStation) to wait much longer or to even ride along all the units they've sold?

Those 110M units profits were already spent sustaining all other Sony divisions (TV, professional equipment, audio, etc), so they can't count on that, specially now that they have to pay Microsoft the monthly (or yearly) fee for using their Azure server infrastructure.

On the other hand, Microsoft is such a big company (1 TRILLION USD) that they could easily wait all they want. Heck, even if the PS5 outsells XSX, they'll still make a profit from those users, since they'll be using Microsoft's Azure infrastructure for online gaming. Compare that to the 87.88Billion USD Sony's marketplace worth and you'll see why Satya Nadella is confident: Microsoft's future doesn't depend on the Xbox brand....while Sony's entire future depends on the PlayStation brand.

So... at least Pachter has it right this time. Or as the popular adage goes, "even a broken clock is right twice a day".
I love how fanboys like you always think that MS's money are also Xbox's money.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

yurinka

They will improve their numbers. Consoles Sony will likely outsell Xbox. But overall taking into a game Streaming, PC and a consoles, Microsoft will likely win out.

Sony is at a significant disadvantage, especially in Cloud Streaming. The biggest blunder so far for Sony was to abandon their partnership with Samsung in promoting PSNow, instead of expanding it they killed it and just about when Cloud Gaming is about to become a competitive market Microsoft partnered with Samsung and left Sony totally out of the picture.
I think Sony will continue being clear leader on consoles sold, games sold (adding PC for MS), game service subscriptions, game streaming (this include with clients in all platforms like mobile/PC/console), VR and their overall gaming divisions.

Regarding game streaming, until now Sony has been limited to a few countries, to a few devices and has lower quality codec and resolution than the other ones because it's the older one. They announced that will increase resolution, compression and will aim a global audience and move to all devices. I expect both MS and Sony to be present in all countries and devices this generation, so will be tied here. Sony will use Azure's cloud and datacenters, so will also be tied here.

Then we have the catalog and business model: Sony already has over 700 games there and we don't know how many games you'll be able to stream from the MS servers with the xCloud subscription. We also have to see how the xCloud business model and pricing. We already know Sony's business model but in the powerpoint where they stated future PS Now plans, it wasn't very clear but they also hinted that in next gen, in addition to purchase digital and retail games, you'd be able to get them for/through streaming. It wasn't pretty clear how, if in a separated purchase or if you purchased them on digital or retail you'd also get it on PS Now.

So as of now, I don't see any point where MS has or can take a lead in streaming.

Top Bottom