• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Moore: Trump never wanted to win. Purposefully sabotaging his campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

I mean, "Democrat in Disguise" is unlikely, but "Fake Republican" is pretty accurate. Mostly because he has such a childish, passing understanding of politics that before this whole thing started I doubt he would have been able to tell you the core philosophies or keystone policy positions of either political party.

I wouldn't be surprised if he originally hewed a little left of center on everything but taxes, labor laws, and race relations, to be honest. Though at this point he's been pretty thoroughly briefed on the party policy and probably has internalized it to some extent.

Oh I don't believe he's a Republican, I just don't believe he's some kind of saboteur working for the Dems.

Watch his conferences. Not the teleprompter ones, but the ones where he just lets go. This dude means what he says, it is written on his face. His emotions are genuine. It's anger. It's frustration. It's the belief he is the victim. He is passionate about it. How quickly people forget that he led the birth movement against Obama.

This is a man that means what he says. He's not putting on a show.

Oh, so he's not going to win now. Cool story

ZHQZO.gif

Moore pretending like he wasn't predicting a Trump win mere weeks ago.

He's not "pretending" anything, really. He just figures/hopes that the people who read this clickbait article will be separate enough from the people who read his last clickbait articles that he won't get called out on it too harshly.

I fully believe, btw, that Trump probably did not expect to win the primaries when he declared, and did it to get attention and feel important, but seriously, let's not act like there was some kind of deep Machiavellian plan, here, because there wasn't. He did a thing to satisfy his ego, and it's spiraled WAY out of his or anybody else's control as a result.

I think Michael Moore wanted to wake people up by ringing the alarm: don't be complacent.

But Trump has gone from bad to worse since he wrote the alarmist piece and perhaps now its too obvious to ignore.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think he's right. But he should have led with this instead of telling us all Trump is going to win first.

robochimp

Oh I don't believe he's a Republican, I just don't believe he's some kind of saboteur working for the Dems.

Watch his conferences. Not the teleprompter ones, but the ones where he just lets go. This dude means what he says, it is written on his face. His emotions are genuine. It's anger. It's frustration. It's the belief he is the victim. He is passionate about it. How quickly people forget that he led the birth movement against Obama.

This is a man that means what he says. He's not putting on a show.

He did not lead the birther movement, he hopped on long after it started.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The information from a month or two ago about Trump Jr telling Kasich that if selected as VP he would be doing all the work while Trump was 'Making America Great' shows that Donald doesn't want to be the President.

The problem is this sort of shit never sticks to him because he wakes up the next day and slings more shit. All of these things that should end a campaign aren't doing that because we are constantly having to forget about the previous fuck up to focus on the new fuck up. It's maddening.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If Trump really had no plans to actually become president, he would have run as an independent. He still would have gotten enough media attention based on his personality alone without needing to try and self-sabotage or run the risk of actually winning.

BFIB

I think Trump's entire campaign is just a business venture, and a means to promote his brand and make some easy money.

Bingo. I think Moore is onto something. I do think Trump initially set out to try and find a way to elevate his name, and thought this might be the way to do it. Not thinking the idea would work this far in, but once he started down the path, in his peon brain, his ego just took control of the wheel that led to this point. I truly believe that Trump started off to try and gain leverage, but now honestly thinks he is the savior of the USA.

Nah, Trump is just so stupid that it seems like it.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think Trump definitely wants to be "President" however I don't think he wants the actual job too much.

Here's the thing, I think Trump wants to win to feed his already giant ego but he doesn't want to do the actual job of being president hence why he has Pence running with him. Let the VP do all the busy-work basically Pence will be an over-paid secretary.

120v

i think there's some truth to the fact trump didn't never really was "in it to win", most nonconventional candidates are in it for a book deal, a tv show, ect

but i don't think it's a grand orchestration on his part. he's just a dumb guy that wasn't 100% sure what he was doing at he filled a vacuum in the primary

and moore lost all credibility with me as an "analyst" when he touted trump as a sure fire winner. stick with movies or whatever, bub. this really isn't your bag

Amneziak

aka The Hound
I think Michael Moore wanted to wake people up by ringing the alarm: don't be complacent.

But Trump has gone from bad to worse since he wrote the alarmist piece and perhaps now its too obvious to ignore.

Yes, that's the same impression I got.

The impression I'm getting from this thread is that people aren't actually reading (or understanding) what Moore is saying. Seems like a lot of bandwagon hating.

My thoughts:

Trump absolutely did not expect to be President at the beginning of this all
When Trump saw his own numbers, he became convinced he would be President
Trump now wants to be President
Trump doesn't want to bother with the actual responsibilities to be President (but again, still wants the job anyway)
Trump truly and honestly doesn't understand why his chances of being President are so low now and is in fact disappointed by those chances

FairyD

I feel like every person on the planet has been trying to pin point the exact moment of Trumps decision to run. But even if Trump was tied up in Wonder Woman's magical lasso he wouldn't be able to tell you why.

My thoughts:

Trump absolutely did not expect to be President at the beginning of this all
When Trump saw his own numbers, he became convinced he would be President
Trump now wants to be President
Trump doesn't want to bother with the actual responsibilities to be President (but again, still wants the job anyway)
Trump truly and honestly doesn't understand why his chances of being President are so low now and is in fact disappointed by those chances

Agreed.

Yes, that's the same impression I got.

The impression I'm getting from this thread is that people aren't actually reading (or understanding) what Moore is saying. Seems like a lot of bandwagon hating.

Yup. I'm shocked at this Moore backlash. As far as I'm concerned unless it's uncovered that he's another Subway Jared he's golden in my eyes.

digdug2k

I'm always shocked to hear people who think Trump is smart of has some sort of plan to anything he does beyond "I'm great!"

If this is the Trump fan-fiction thread, I will say I've always believed this started as a publicity stunt for Trump. Find it hard to believe he ever thought he'd make it this far, but I think now that he's here, he fucking wants it. He's not failing because he secretly wants to fail, he's failing because he got into the game with no plan or intention of making it this far.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
We know this is partly true; his sons were looking for a VP pick and they outright told Kasich that if he accepted to be VP he'd be "the most powerful VP ever" because he'd do all the work a president would do ("you'll be in charge of all the domestic and foreign affairs") while Trump would make the presidency a more European-like title. It was probably his sons' idea to try and convince their father to keep running and go for it rather than force his way out.

Adaren

Are you kldding – that’s for losers like Chris Harrison, whoever that is (host of “The Bachelorette”)

Okay, Michael Moore.

Donald Trump never actually wanted to be President of the United States. I know this for a fact. There are certain people reading this right now, they know who they are, and they know that every word in the following paragraphs actually happened.

But, let me throw out another theory

Okay, Michael Moore.

Dude wants to have the "I told you all so!" moment so badly.

Trump is up in the polls: "Trump is GONNA be the next president! You all are living in a bubble!"

Trump is down in the polls: "Trump NEVER wanted to win!!"

okjan.gif

I feel like every person on the planet has been trying to pin point the exact moment of Trumps decision to run. But even if Trump was tied up in Wonder Woman's magical lasso he wouldn't be able to tell you why.

Trump has mentioned wanting to run for president since the 80s. Dude is completely infatuated with the idea, but held back by his lack of ambition (of actually wanting to BE president instead of the idea of being president).

But he's a fucking racist. Obama being elected probably drove him nuts, giving way to him stirring up the birther shit. Then he got clowned on by everyone, INCLUDING Obama on national live television! That probably pushed him over the edge.

No shit. 99% of GAF called this a publicity stunt since day one. But you're full of shit if you truly believe he doesn't want it this late in the game. Trump, his supporters, and assholes like Moore are just doing damage control for the inevitable.

I think Trump's entire campaign is just a business venture, and a means to promote his brand and make some easy money.

He is actually very consistent if you look at everything Trump does is revolving around building up the Trump brand and profit from the brand.

Tarydax

Banned
He's probably half right. I think Trump's campaign did start out as a publicity stunt (especially with all the times he said he would run but didn't), but then he rushed to the top of the Republican Primaries and never left. At some point he thought he had a chance at winning the presidency, and now the reality is sinking in that he has very few options left. He's going to go out kicking and screaming out of pure spite and do as much damage as he possibly can.

Michael Moore is way off if he thinks Trump never wanted to be president.

Moore wasn't trying to scare anyone to voting with saying Trump would win. And he's not doing that now. Moore is, and will always be, a sensationalist. He'll sniff out the craziest side of things to get attention. That's all it is.

Doesn't really fit the narrative of him being Putin's guy, though. I could go with believing either possibility. In the end, I don't care about his original intentions. I just care about seeing him lose the election by the widest possible margin.

That's the thing: he has to lose by a 70-30 margin at the least, otherwise it's still a "winning" for bigotry and conspiranoia.

He's probably half right. I think Trump's campaign did start out as a publicity stunt (especially with all the times he said he would run but didn't), but then he rushed to the top of the Republican Primaries and never left. At some point he thought he had a chance at winning the presidency, and now the reality is sinking in that he has very few options left. He's going to go out kicking and screaming out of pure spite and do as much damage as he possibly can.

Michael Moore is way off if he thinks Trump never wanted to be president.

Whatever the real story is, I think it's clear that he knows what he's doing next. He learned that the real easy money is in selling bullshit to the right wing audience. They'll buy anything without question, with no regard for reality, facts or the reporting of any legitimate or mainstream news. It's a cult.

Wait, what did he do wrong? His "5 Reasons Trump Will Win" article ended with this:

(Next week I will post my thoughts on Trump’s Achilles Heel and how I think he can be beat.)

Obviously, he was arguing that a Trump victory is literally inevitable
/s

Can't wait until this election is over. You literally can't say anything that could possibly be construed as... what, exactly? I still don't know what he did wrong. Why the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom