• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: John Riccitiello fears losing his job as EA CEO (update: just "a bad joke")

iNvid02

how is shutting down all those servers, introducing online passes, day one DLC and charging silly RRP for all games on Origin working out for you EA?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's safe to assume that Riccitiello didn't want the fact that he fears losing his job as CEO going public, don't you think?

Whether it's safe to assume or not, nowhere does it say that in the article. People shouldn't assume crap like that even if it was true. And the Pachter hate is skewing the minds of so many users on this board. Probably more than half of the posters here didn't even read the article and just read the post.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
People are blowing the "ate with lunch and told Pachter in confidence." out of proportion. Nowhere in the article does it state that Riccitello told in confidence to Pachter that he fears losing his job. Stop skewing words and actually read the article please.
The media pundit told an audience at the Develop Conference that the EA president confided in him about the company’s falling stock.
Confided:
1. Tell someone about a secret or private matter while trusting them not to repeat it to others.
2. Trust (someone) enough to tell them of such a secret or private matter.

kayos90

Confided:
1. Tell someone about a secret or private matter while trusting them not to repeat it to others.
2. Trust (someone) enough to tell them of such a secret or private matter.

Confided in him about falling stock. Not about losing his job. Are the two ideas in the same article? Yes. Are the meanings carried over? No.

Whether it's safe to assume or not, nowhere does it say that in the article. People shouldn't assume crap like that even if it was true. And the Pachter hate is skewing the minds of so many users on this board. Probably more than half of the posters here didn't even read the article and just read the post.

So you need everything spelled out for you to believe anything? You don't believe making obvious assumptions like this are fair game? Come on.

kayos90

So you need everything spelled out for you to believe anything? You don't believe making obvious assumptions like this are fair game? Come on.

No. I see articles with the potential to draw hits/blow things out of proportions/incite hate, etc.

Regardless, I made my point clear. I'm not going to draw out a circular argument. I apologize.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Confided in him about falling stock. Not about losing his job. Are the two ideas in the same article? Yes. Are the meanings carried over? No.
Yes because the falling stock isn't a secret. You don't confide in someone about something that is public knowledge except when it relates to something that isn't.

you know whats funny about pachter?

He calls GAF nothing but whining complaining, negative types

and he is the same exact way

How would this benefit him? (serious question, not patronizing you)

Riccitello, for the past year, has been saying that we absolutely need new consoles to regain momentum in the industry. Continuing on the 360 and PS3 means that new IPs that drive new franchises can't be made at this point in the game.

He can not outright say that Microsoft and Sony's refusal to move to next-gen is killing his business. He can, however, do this and subtly shift the blame to them for why EA is failing to make money.

No where in that article is Pachter quoted as saying Riccitiello fears for his job. Just that Ricciteillo was wondering why EA's stock was going down when earnings were up.

Not that Riccitiello fearing losing his job over EA's tanking stock is a surprise really. I'd be nervous if I was in his shoes.

#developconf Michael Pachter - Nintendo what a messed up company. They don't know what they're doing

#developconf Michael Pachter I think the Wii U will be an abysmal failure. The next Xbox will be your TV receiver

‪#developconf‬ Michael Pachter - Nintendo is at risk of going away in the next decade. You only need to make a couple of bad decisions...

And then he said, its thanks to call of duty the traditional games industry has already died. Its finished.

Developer reaction
Altered Gene Studios ‏@Altered_Gene
“@pgbiz: #developconf Michael Pachter - Nintendo what a messed up company. They don't know what they're doing” /Erm, seriously…?

FireFlyNick ‏@FireFlyNick
Trying to count the number of times people have bet against Nintendo and been wrong #pachter #developconf

Nintendo going away in the next decade? lol, pachter is one of the most persistent and vindictive analysts I have ever seen. He is so fucking bitter Nintendo doesn't follow his every advice. It's almost like he applied for some kind of job there and they rejected him.

Oh and Pachter is fucking disgusting for spilling something like this to the public. He's an attention whore plain simple. I don't know how the hell he became so popular, but it really is disgusting to watch.

I guess Pachter is now retracting and saying it was a "bad joke":

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...arts-ceo-worried-about-progress-says-pachter/

[UPDATE]The original headline to this article was published as "Electronic Arts CEO 'is worried about his job security', says Pachter"

- Michael Pachter has since spoken to CVG to claim that, while he did have a meeting with John Riccitiello, and that the low share price of the company was discussed, and that Riccitiello appeared concerned with certain business matters, he says that the claim that Riccitiello was worried about his job prospects was "a bad joke" and not a factual statement.

Nintendo going away in the next decade? lol, pachter is one of the most persistent and vindictive analysts I have ever seen. He is so fucking bitter Nintendo doesn't follow his every advice. It's almost like he applied for some kind of job there and they rejected him.

Oh and Pachter is fucking disgusting for spilling something like this to the public. He's an attention whore plain simple. I don't know how the hell he became so popular, but it really is disgusting to watch.

But he isnt negative unlike GAF users.

Lets make that clear :)

According to him we are all super negative, and it drives him crazy.

My feeling is nintendo always makes him look the fool

He thought the 3ds would sell at 250. It didnt.

Its now selling amazingly at 170, and now he says it wont sell well at that price.

He didnt think the ds would sell nor the wii........

And he doesnt think nintendo will be profitable in 2012, even though iwata said it will happen by 3ds xl and 2d mario time

thats his track record with nintendo

Patryn

I seriously hope Pachter realizes that if he continues to spread information related to him "in confidence," fewer people will feel comfortable giving him that information in the future.

King_Moc

Banned
What is it with this guy and Nintendo? Is he motivated entirely by hate or something?

And I can't imagine why John Riccitello would ever tell him something like that. Let alone go to dinner with him. He's an analyst and their opinions are valued by investors. Couldn't it be considered a conflict of interests? Well, if its all on EA's tab, at least.

pelican

Serious the sooner this clown Patcher stops believing his own hype and buggers off the better.

I blame Gametrailers for creating this "cult of personality".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What a douche. His "retraction" makes it clear he spilled the beans on the confidential statement by the CEO.

I hope the industry learns from this and never gives the guy anything any more.

JaxJag

Banned
EA became a much better company when John Riccitiello tookover. If anyone doesn't remember, EA's quality of games were pretty bad for a few years leading up to when Riccitiello got hired

Tellaerin

The media pundit told an audience at the Develop Conference that the EA president confided in him about the company’s falling stock.

And that was his first mistake.

Seriously, I actually like Pachter (unlike a lot of people here), but when someone shares something with you like that in confidence and you turn around and share that with a room full of people, well... that's really not cool.

Kunan

Pachter finally got to report something that may actually happen.

‪#developconf‬ Michael Pachter - Nintendo is at risk of going away in the next decade. You only need to make a couple of bad decisions...
If that's true, then how does Pachter have a job still?

I find it funny that a generally dead wrong analyst is constantly blasting a company for not having a good enough future analysis.

UberTag

If that's true, then how does Pachter have a job still?
Pachter's making bad predictions. There's a difference between making a bad prediction and making a bad decision.

Pachter making a bad prediction affects nobody except the fools who happened to believe it.
Riccitiello making a bad decision can impact the entirety of Electronic Arts... from its IPs, to its stockholders, to its developers and the overall brand.

Clearly Pachter has the easier job of the two because when you're making predictions and not decisions you have no responsibility, no accountability and you don't need to fear for your job in the least so long as you're bringing in the hits and people keep giving you attention. Being right when you're Pachter is a pleasant bonus.

Top Bottom