• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Rumor: Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Again, other than a very brief window when they rolled the nice on Dead Space and Mirror's Edge when haven't EA sucked?

EA hate has been a NeoGAF staple FAR longer than Activision hate. People here have hated EA pre-Madden exclusive.

EA hate has been going on in this industry before call of duty or any of the other activision properties they whored out were even created. EA hate's been around since before many of us even had internet. They twisted and then killed a lot of beloved companies. I wish people who think this is just some recent thing would take a history lesson. (Not you, just saying in general)

abadguy

Banned
EA hate started when they decided to shit on Sega and the Dreamcast the way they did, after they had been so close to Sega during the Genesis days.

I hope this is something more worthwhile than just Battlefield 4 exclusive DLC, to go from COD to Battlefield (can't see them having both with exclusive DLC) would not be a positive thing. If perhaps its for the new Respawn game (to counter Sony getting exclusive DLC for Destiny) then that would be better.

Sony paid for Battlefield 3 and MS paid for Fallout/Skyrim had timed exclusive DLC this gen as well. Then Sony paid Konami for region only exclusive content where US players were blocked but not European players.

There has been a few but not many. I can't think of more.

Region exclusive content? What game?

If anything, this will probably be something like all EA Sports titles will be "enhanced for kinect".

For it to matter, even to Kinect fans, it would have to be much more substantial than this just because that added functionality will be par for the course with next-gen sensors being, IMO, standard. I'm thinking it's probably a timed exclusivity agreement or an EA service which aligns with Live 3.0. I do wonder if MS' rumored Win8/WP8/X3 cross-compatibility will be part of this because that would probably be a big enough deal to hard core fans of the various EA franchises.

Violater

Don't worry guys, if it is a timed BF exclusive deal, by the time they fix the broken online the exclusivity will be over.

Drek

solid post. any thoughts on Madden going exclusive?

The NFL license is up after this year. Every other time they've renewed over a year in advance. They're now less than 12 months away. That isn't just a random occurrence, the days of EA having an exclusive NFL license may be coming to an end, at which point Madden's already declining sales might well fall off a cliff.

This is why EA has no ability to take Madden exclusive, even timed exclusive. The NFL is in the driver's seat now, EA gave that up when they made a deal with a far more powerful devil (the NFL). EA needs to manage Madden first and foremost towards what best services the NFL's interests, and that is widespread distribution of their brand.

They're in a worse situation with the NFL than they are with FIFA. They don't really own these IPs, they lease them at exorbitant fees from very wealthy partners who view this as "free" money. When that free money starts having costs attached (be that opportunity cost or simply bad PR) EA is in trouble.

The fact that their solubility as a company largely depends on that should be very troubling to all of their stock holders. EA is one Rodger Goodell decision away from outright collapse, should the NFL award someone else the exclusive license or hell, decide to make their own football game.

Gran Turismo is a stronger IP in Europe than FIFA. Don't obfuscate the FIFA brand with football fandom as a whole. EA walling off that fan base when Pro Evolution still exists would destroy them.

It would be especially painful when that would obviously result in Sony basically having the ICE team move into Konami's offices and making sure Pro Evo destroys FIFA technically.

Their market share would drop to nearly zero in Japan, they'd lose all forward progress they made last generation in Europe, and all for what? A consolidated soccer fanbase in the U.S., by far it's weakest market, and whatever moneyhat MS is giving them. I doubt MS is ready to write the eight or even nine figure check needed to make that happen.

This doesn't even get into the politics of EA trying to keep their FIFA license (expires in 2014) with Sony as a voice of dissent. Sony is after all a global sponsor of FIFA, the World Cup, the Women's World Cup, etc.. Sony has been cutting FIFA solid eight figure checks every year for half a decade now, and will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future as it's one of their strongest marketing angles. That makes EA's licensing agreement look microscopic in comparison.

Is Pro Evo still a force in gaming? Even if EA were to make FIFA exclusive, Pro Evo couldn't fill the gap, it's far too behind the times and it's utter irrelevance now shows as much.

Do you have sources/figures to back up the claim that Gran Turismo is stronger than FIFA? I'd be very surprised if that's true.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If there's a deal of any real significance brewing between EA and MS I'd be curious as to the timing now, when Sony seems to be correcting many of the mistakes they made last gen, as opposed to any time last gen when Sony was making those mistakes. There were probably better opportunities to drive the knife in over the last 6-7 yrs and do it more cost effectively than the start of this gen presents.

Apple soared when they had a product everyone wanted and nobody else had. That's not the case anymore and you can see their stock start to decline.

Their stock isn't declining because there's competition. Their sales aren't cratering either, and yet they're still the same money-grubbing corporation they've been. Consumers don't care as long as they get what they want.

Massa

Is Pro Evo still a force in gaming? Even if EA were to make FIFA exclusive, Pro Evo couldn't fill the gap, it's far too behind the times and it's utter irrelevance now shows as much.

Do you have sources/figures to back up the claim that Gran Turismo is stronger than FIFA? I'd be very surprised if that's true.

Pro Evo lost a lot of ground to FIFA over the course of this generation but they still sell millions of copies each year. They started some significant changes a couple years ago to try to catch up, and it's reasonable to expect Sony or Microsoft would partner with them should the other get an exclusive agreement with EA.

PES could easily fill any gap left by EA. Seriously there is someone in Konami's London office hoping and wishing that EA would be foolish enough to make such a move. Remember that Konami have basically given up current gen development and moved to next gen in 2011 and will have a completely new engine for PS4/NXTBX, they aren't going to be as far behind as they were this time around.

PES was the bigger football game in the PS2 era despite not having the proper licences, so it can be done, they just need to make a good go of it. I very much doubt EA would leave the door open for a PES comeback after spending so much money and effort to destroy it.

As for GT, it's pretty much the number one racing game in the world but as FIFA probably sells more as it is an annual franchise. GT isn't.

M$ is taking too damn long! As each day passes, so does the consumers interest in the nextbox. It has been so long, I wouldn't be surprised if noone bought a new nextbox. It's just ridiculous. Consumers patience faded 4 years ago. Long before suck-nect and the shittttt appeal to casual newbs

Dead on arrival.

Your idiocy shames the good name of Bacon.

Drek

EA hate has been going on in this industry before call of duty or any of the other activision properties they whored out were even created. EA hate's been around since before many of us even had internet. They twisted and then killed a lot of beloved companies. I wish people who think this is just some recent thing would take a history lesson. (Not you, just saying in general)

Exactly. For most gamers the brief window in which EA wasn't the WORST 3rd party in existence was the deviation from the norm. Going back to hating them now is like going home and mom having an apple pie ready and waiting on the window sill.

No, not at all. I would agree if they ditched vehicles and pretty much everything that makes Battlefield, well Battlefield but I haven't seen this at all. I have also played every single BF game since the 1st if that helps.
Their single player mode has gone from ok to CoD levels of bombastic random bullshit for the most part. They're just like CoD now in that their single player mode is completely worthless, yet they still want you to pay a full $60 for it.

Next, they have followed Activision down the rabbit hole of fracturing the online fanbase with DLC map after DLC map, nickel and dimming consumers if they just want to play with their more dedicated friends. Battlefield 3 has FIVE packs to buy. FIVE. That is absurd.

Also, I know that Battlefield 2 had four expansions, but two of those were supposed to be consolidated into a single expansion originally and the sudden massive exploitation of BF2 just so happened to occur right after EA bought Dice so.....

M$ is taking too damn long! As each day passes, so does the consumers interest in the nextbox. It has been so long, I wouldn't be surprised if noone bought a new nextbox. It's just ridiculous. Consumers patience faded 4 years ago. Long before suck-nect and the shittttt appeal to casual newbs

Dead on arrival.

Poe's law at its finest.

Karak

Like every Sony new console launch.

Agreed and pretty much any launch of any system.
As I said earlier the adds and removals from games isn't new. Though it seems some people are portraying it in a VERY unique way to make it seem like one or the other game company is really forcing all devs to create complete lies.
That isn't taking into account the games at the MS conference will have been worked on for a couple months longer than those shown at the Sony conference. It really does smack of some strange agenda to pretend this occurs in a vacuum.

A.R.K

Hate these exclusive crap and MS is the biggest culprit of this shit. Hope its nothing related to BF4 and whatever this stupidity is, its some timed DLC content.

Pro Evo lost a lot of ground to FIFA over the course of this generation but they still sell millions of copies each year. They started some significant changes a couple years ago to try to catch up, and it's reasonable to expect Sony or Microsoft would partner with them should the other get an exclusive agreement with EA.

I've heard about the changes, but I've been led to believe it's far too little and it's far to late. FIFA is essentially considered the go-to game if you want a football game whereas before it was Pro Evo.

That might all change next generation, but I don't believe it will as EA won't be making FIFA of all games exclusive to any one platform.

PES could easily fill any gap left by EA. Seriously there is someone in Konami's London office hoping and wishing that EA would be foolish enough to make such a move. Remember that Konami have basically given up current gen development and moved to next gen in 2011 and will have a completely new engine for PS4/NXTBX, they aren't going to be as far behind as they were this time around.

PES was the bigger football game in the PS2 era despite not having the proper licences, so it can be done, they just need to make a good go of it. I very much doubt EA would leave the door open for a PES comeback after spending so much money and effort to destroy it.

As for GT, it's pretty much the number one racing game in the world but as FIFA probably sells more as it is an annual franchise. GT isn't.

I have no doubts they are. They were the premier football game for years, I still remember the arguments between friends about which was better, but their arrogance led them to losing that spot and slowly becoming more and more irrelevant.

Ad for GT, I understand FIFA would be bigger just because it's an annual franchise, but the I don't particularly believe it's a stronger IP than FIFA.

Drek

1. Pro Evolution is down because it's quality dropped. Konami is supposedly doing a full rebuild of the game for the next generation, so we'll see if they fix that. Winning Eleven is still strong in Japan as well despite the weaker than previous console sales.

2. Pro Evo filled that gap just last generation and then some. FIFA was where PES is now just last generation. Why do you think it would be that hard for things to flip again? Better yet, what kind of deal do you think Sony could work out with Konami (a historically strong partner)?

The PS4 is supposed to be much easier to develop for, so what do you think Sony's ICE team is going to do now? Get shut down? Doubtful, Cerny is only gaining in prominence he isn't shuttering his former team. FIFA going exclusive would likely prompt Sony to effectively move the ICE team into Konami's offices and build them a monster engine.

Also, Sony has a sponsorship deal with FIFA where they annually cut FIFA an advertising check north of $40M. EA's FIFA license is up in 2014 and word is Konami is already considering investing in their own FIFA license. How do you think all those negotiations will work if Sony flexes that $40M per year sponsorship muscle? Yeah, not an enemy EA would want to make.

3. Why would you need numbers? GT moves massive amounts of software in Europe and no other racing game comes close. FIFA and PES have handed the crown of top footy game back and forth the last two generations. The market is clearly far more willing to try a difference football game than they are a different racing game.

QaaQer

The NFL license is up after this year. Every other time they've renewed over a year in advance. They're now less than 12 months away. That isn't just a random occurrence, the days of EA having an exclusive NFL license may be coming to an end, at which point Madden's already declining sales might well fall off a cliff.

This is why EA has no ability to take Madden exclusive, even timed exclusive. The NFL is in the driver's seat now, EA gave that up when they made a deal with a far more powerful devil (the NFL). EA needs to manage Madden first and foremost towards what best services the NFL's interests, and that is widespread distribution of their brand.

They're in a worse situation with the NFL than they are with FIFA. They don't really own these IPs, they lease them at exorbitant fees from very wealthy partners who view this as "free" money. When that free money starts having costs attached (be that opportunity cost or simply bad PR) EA is in trouble.

The fact that their solubility as a company largely depends on that should be very troubling to all of their stock holders. EA is one Rodger Goodell decision away from outright collapse, should the NFL award someone else the exclusive license or hell, decide to make their own football game.

thanks.

Hate these exclusive crap and MS is the biggest culprit of this shit. Hope its nothing related to BF4 and whatever this stupidity is, its some timed DLC content.

This happens on every platform, every generation since the beginning. The stakes are higher now, so I expect it to keep on happening...even with greater frequency than this current generation. Singling out MS seems pointless except to maybe lay bare your platform preference. Besides, this is just a rumor.

1. Pro Evolution is down because it's quality dropped. Konami is supposedly doing a full rebuild of the game for the next generation, so we'll see if they fix that. Winning Eleven is still strong in Japan as well despite the weaker than previous console sales.

2. Pro Evo filled that gap just last generation and then some. FIFA was where PES is now just last generation. Why do you think it would be that hard for things to flip again? Better yet, what kind of deal do you think Sony could work out with Konami (a historically strong partner)?

The PS4 is supposed to be much easier to develop for, so what do you think Sony's ICE team is going to do now? Get shut down? Doubtful, Cerny is only gaining in prominence he isn't shuttering his former team. FIFA going exclusive would likely prompt Sony to effectively move the ICE team into Konami's offices and build them a monster engine.

Also, Sony has a sponsorship deal with FIFA where they annually cut FIFA an advertising check north of $40M. EA's FIFA license is up in 2014 and word is Konami is already considering investing in their own FIFA license. How do you think all those negotiations will work if Sony flexes that $40M per year sponsorship muscle? Yeah, not an enemy EA would want to make.

3. Why would you need numbers? GT moves massive amounts of software in Europe and no other racing game comes close. FIFA and PES have handed the crown of top footy game back and forth the last two generations. The market is clearly far more willing to try a difference football game than they are a different racing game.

It's obvious why, FIFA aren't suddenly going to rest on their laurels like Pro Evo did for the most part of this generation. Each iteration comes with new features, tweaks, etc. This isn't something EA were able to achieve in just one or two years, it took them the better part of this generation to perfect their game, to suddenly expect Konami to do it in just a couple of years or after just one rebuild is naive in the extreme.

It's also a futile line of discussion, FIFA will never be exclusive to any one platform and so Pro Evo will continue to stagnant and eventually become a Japanese centric title or simply fall from memory forever.

It's a bold claim to suggest it's stronger than FIFA. I don't believe it is, so numerical data or sources that back up the claim would be required to prove it is indeed the stronger IP.

gryz

Banned
so MS is going to wow gamers with an exclusive partnership with the company who last year was voted "WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD" by gamers?

so MS is going to wow gamers with an exclusive partnership with the company who last year was voted "WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD" by gamers?

It's all in the numbers. Did being voted the worst company in the world result in their sales being impacted to any significant degree?

I suspect it didn't, so any such vote is irrelevant.

maybe the op just got updated, but if the only exclusive we're talking about is dlc. Then what is the big deal? Why is this thread so long?

Marleyman

Banned
Their single player mode has gone from ok to CoD levels of bombastic random bullshit for the most part.

The SP was a joke but Battlefield was never really about SP.

Drek said:
They're just like CoD now in that their single player mode is completely worthless, yet they still want you to pay a full $60 for it.

I know some who enjoyed it; I didn't but they did ape COD.

Drek said:
Next, they have followed Activision down the rabbit hole of fracturing the online fanbase with DLC map after DLC map, nickel and dimming consumers if they just want to play with their more dedicated friends. Battlefield 3 has FIVE packs to buy. FIVE. That is absurd

I bought Premium as soon as I could and it definitely has been worth it.

This happens on every platform, every generation since the beginning. The stakes are higher now, so I expect it to keep on happening...even with greater frequency than this current generation. Singling out MS seems pointless except to maybe lay bare your platform preference. Besides, this is just a rumor.

Pretty much, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

It's a bold claim to suggest it's stronger than FIFA. I don't believe it is, so numerical data or sources that back up the claim would be required to prove it is indeed the stronger IP.

Worldwide, Fifa is the bigger IP as outside of Europe the GT brand has been on the decline for years with Japan basically ignoring the last version of the game.

Worldwide, Fifa is the bigger IP as outside of Europe the GT brand has been on the decline for years with Japan basically ignoring the last version of the game.

Surprising to hear it's in decline worldwide, although I should have suspected as much as the poster was careful to qualify the statement with a mention of European sales.

Drek

It's obvious why, FIFA aren't suddenly going to rest on their laurels like Pro Evo did for the most part of this generation. Each iteration comes with new features, tweaks, etc. This isn't something EA were able to achieve in just one or two years, it took them the better part of this generation to perfect their game, to suddenly expect Konami to do it in just a couple of years or after just one rebuild is naive in the extreme.

It's also a futile line of discussion, FIFA will never be exclusive to any one platform and so Pro Evo will continue to stagnant and eventually become a Japanese centric title or simply fall from memory forever.

FIFA bridge the gap with PES in the same time frame Konami has had to return fire now going into the next generation. PES also doesn't need to suddenly leapfrog FIFA, if they're more or less at parity it would remove relevance from the exclusive, as both would have viable options.

Also, you can bridge pretty massive gaps when the money is there, and if EA were to try taking FIFA exclusive the money would surely be there, both from Sony and Konami.

It is pointless though, I agree, EA would never risk it. You're talking a nine figure gamble if Konami responds with a strong PES entry out of the gate and Sony once again wins Europe and Japan. All the money they've put into building FIFA up would be flushed down the drain. This is why it will never happen, far too much risk for far too little reward.

As for GT, I don't see how it's a bold claim. It's pretty damn simple. FIFA sells millions every year but those same buyers were all quite willing to buy PES when it was on top. They just buy whatever the most popular football game happens to be, year after year. Gran Turismo has no peer in it's genre and is one of the best selling titles every generation in Europe. It sells systems because it can't be had anywhere else and there is nothing else viewed as an acceptable substitute.

If FIFA was the stronger IP it wouldn't have gotten trounced by PES last generation and PES wouldn't still be a legitimate competitor for it. GT has no legitimate competitor for it's market. That is IP strength in it's purest form.

How do FIFA's numbers in the US compare to Madden's? Maybe it makes sense to not overpay for NFL exclusivity anymore. Are Sony and Microsoft really going to create new studios to make NFL games again?

As for GT, I don't see how it's a bold claim. It's pretty damn simple. FIFA sells millions every year but those same buyers were all quite willing to buy PES when it was on top. They just buy whatever the most popular football game happens to be, year after year. Gran Turismo has no peer in it's genre and is one of the best selling titles every generation in Europe. It sells systems because it can't be had anywhere else and there is nothing else viewed as an acceptable substitute.

If FIFA was the stronger IP it wouldn't have gotten trounced by PES last generation and PES wouldn't still be a legitimate competitor for it. GT has no legitimate competitor for it's market. That is IP strength in it's purest form.

Let's not talk about Pro Evo for a second. Let's focus on the claim you made that Gran Turismo is the stronger IP. I don't believe is it. I had hoped for actual data, but as you haven't provided it, I can only assume it doesn't exist and you're simply supposing/assuming it's the stronger IP.

Drek

The SP was a joke but Battlefield was never really about SP.
not being about SP is one thing, going down the CoD road is something else entirely.

I know some who enjoyed it; I didn't but they did ape COD.
Sure. There are people who enjoy damn near every game, even the really bad ones. The problem here is that BF sold out even trying to find their own narrative and instead just ape CoD's over the top half assed tripe now. I'd rather see them scrap single player all together and give people the fist few expansions free as part of purchase, that's all they really care about when making the game. Instead they have to keep tacking it on to meet the same bullet points as CoD.

I bought Premium as soon as I could and it definitely has been worth it.
Your point? This doesn't mean they aren't nickel and dimming their fans with the threat of being severed from the active player base if you don't keep up to date. That is something CoD really distilled into it's purest form this generation and BF was quick to follow suit.

I don't see any disagreement here that EA has in fact made BF worse/more like CoD, all I see is you saying that to date none of it upsets you personally.

Violater

I would bet more on DLC timed exclusive.
And for those worried about BF4 being an XBOX exclusive (which doesn't make any sense to me but whatever...) here you go nothing to worry on that part:

"Battlefield 4 looks 'stunning' on PS4, says EA's Blake Jorgensen"

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/26/4010536/battlefield-4-p24

Actually during the interview he did not say that i looks stunning on the PS4, just that he's seen it and it looks stunning.

Surprising to hear it's in decline worldwide, although I should have suspected as much as the poster was careful to qualify the statement with a mention of European sales.

To put it in perspective... Hot Shots Golf outsold GT5 in Japan. It is getting off topic but Fifa is still the biggest IP when looking at the worldwide market and not just Europe. But then again, Fifa doesn't really push that big of numbers in the US either.

Drek

Let's not talk about Pro Evo for a second. Let's focus on the claim you made that Gran Turismo is the stronger IP. I don't believe is it. I had hoped for actual data, but as you haven't provided it, I can only assume it doesn't exist and you're simply supposing/assuming it's the stronger IP.

You're calling for data where data can't exist, setting up a false standard of proof.

To illustrate that, what kind of data do you think would prove GT to be the stronger IP? Short of a mind reading device being employed across Europe you can't quantify brand strength into data.

You can however make logical deductions based off of the data we do have, sales figures. Does FIFA sell significantly more units per year than PES did in it's peak? No it does not. So has FIFA grown the market or did they just take over the market? Obviously the later. That doesn't imply any kind of brand strength, just currently holding the poll position, as it where.

Does any other racing game sell GT numbers in Europe? Obviously not. When GT was on hiatus for much of the first part of this past generation did anything even fill it's void in a noteworthy fashion? Again, no. So people who buy GT are in fact only buying it because it's GT. It's sales are entirely driven by it's own brand strength.

If you can't see the difference between those two I don't know how to more clearly outline it for you.

Worst company in America actually. :p

Yes, but some of their titles are awesome (in my opinion).... Crysis, Mass Effect, Battlefield, Sims, and the host of sports games that many people love.

I am quite interested to see what the play is here, but I agree that Activision is the 'better' of the two major publishers.

oldergamer

EA hate started when they decided to shit on Sega and the Dreamcast the way they did, after they had been so close to Sega during the Genesis days.

They weren't close at all, Sega hated EA and used lockout chips to prevent EA from making their own cartridges after EA won a court battle to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom