• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Rumor: Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drek

I love how just the idea of EA going to do any deal with MS is viewed as "Devils Work" and people are ready to completely write the publisher off. I think it would be just a tad different if this rumor was going the other way around.

I think it's more people just really don't like EA, yet EA has used their once stronger financial positioning to buy exclusive access to licenses those people really want.

Its not anti-MS, it is anti-EA and the fact that EA doing this almost certainly means a large scale push by at least some major publishers to kill used games sales outright.

All in all it's EA's anti-consumer practices taking the next big step forward.

I would personally love it because EA's big licenses (NFL and FIFA) expire in 2014. This would be a one way ticket to losing both in one fell swoop, completely nutting the company and driving it into THQ-esque bankruptcy within a few years. The end result of that is awesome IPs being freed from their mismanagement.

A friend of mine brought up a interesting point about the rumors use of "Partnership" - Maybe more than just games related? Origin featured heavily in Marketplace(Kind of a given anyway)

That's an avenue. Exclusive DLC and day 1 digital releases sold via an Origin store on Xbox Live that syncs with your PC account, so buy once digitally on Xbox Live Origin and it works for your PC as well. That way EA can share DLC from their Origin/PC stream with Xbox.

Again, it will likely only be a timed exclusive since they would be leaving DLC money on the table by not releasing on PS4, but it's still something MS might consider to placate the anti-used and always online policies if they follow through with those.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EA already talked about potential cross-platform play using their Origin service. Perhaps the bigger announcement is MS opening up Live more to 3rd party services with deeper integration (Origin, UPlay, Steam, etc)? Maybe even cross platform purchases?

"Buy Dead Space 4 on Xbox and unlock it on Origin PC."

Something like that.

Actually, mentioning Dead Space reminds me that Microsoft interestingly bought Kinect support for the game in the style of Mass EFfect, and also had a one week early demo preview that featured said Kienct support.

If we overlook CVG's horrendous rumor record for a moment, I wonder if every EA title is getting Kinect voice control support going forward.

Banned
Because MS and EA continue to show themselves as sleazy money-first companies and that's not a good way to endear yourselves to customers.

Do you feel this way about Sony and their exclusive deals?

Not sure if serious. Quantic Dream games are being published by Sony. MS is going to publish games developed by EA studios? Lol.

They cut their potential market in half. So I don't see how it is any different.

statham

EA already talked about potential cross-platform play using their Origin service. Perhaps the bigger announcement is MS opening up Live more to 3rd party services with deeper integration (Origin, UPlay, Steam, etc)? Maybe even cross platform purchases?

"Buy Dead Space 4 on Xbox and unlock it on Origin PC."

Something like that.
I can see that happening, I already think MS will do it to their XBLA game(console, Win8, phone)

Master_JO

Banned
Maybe its something like orgin on Xbox 8. Owners will get digital copy of the game one or two weeks before the Retail release.

MS and EA leading the charge to make no used games the new industry-wide standard?

Yup. It's what publishers want. It's not what gamers want, or Gamestop, but it's what publishers and developers want. So it will happen, and gamers will still buy the consoles and the games. A vocal minority won't, sure, but most will. Most won't care. They get new Madden and Battlefield only on New Xbox? Sure, here's my $69.

They would be missing roughly half of the next gen units to sell to. It would be idiotic.

I agree.

It would be commercial suicide to spend the big budgets that EA spend on game production and then put the game on just a single console with a 0-500k install base.

If this was happening 1 or 2 years after launch, it would be slightly more plausible.

But no publisher is going to go exclusive with big titles at a console launch as the customer install base is a complete unknown and thus there is no guarantee of any sales let alone profit.

Xbudz

That's an avenue. Exclusive DLC and day 1 digital releases sold via an Origin store on Xbox Live that syncs with your PC account, so buy once digitally on Xbox Live Origin and it works for your PC as well. That way EA can share DLC from their Origin/PC stream with Xbox.

Again, it will likely only be a timed exclusive since they would be leaving DLC money on the table by not releasing on PS4, but it's still something MS might consider to placate the anti-used and always online policies if they follow through with those.

As somebody who bought Battlefield 3 on both Xbox and PC, this would be nice for premium services.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Actually, mentioning Dead Space reminds me that Microsoft interestingly bought Kinect support for the game in the style of Mass EFfect, and also had a one week early demo preview that featured said Kienct support.

If we overlook CVG's horrendous rumor record for a moment, I wonder if every EA title is getting Kinect voice control support going forward.

Wouldn't be shocking. They already have it in most of their sports titles.

Biggzy

It would be a bit of a 180 for Microsoft as they usually don't like other services encroaching on their walled garden.

Drek

It would be a bit of a 180 for Microsoft as they usually don't like other services encroaching on their walled garden.

And it's something I have a hard time seeing MS really agreeing with.

A big part of Windows 8's design and the major complaints from people like Valve center around the MS store being front and center on the interface. Why would MS piss on so many software developers with that and then give up control to EA on something they've historically refused to share?

EA has such a variety of titles; what games are "interesting" to you?

Games that don't suck dick interest me. EA makes predominantly games that suck dick. Where's the confusion with this?

heyitsphil

Neo Member
$69.99 for a game... and if blocked used games is true that is just ridiculous. I dunno if i am willing to spend 70 bucks for a game.

Yeah, I did think about that, but the potential gain might be worth it for them and I know Sony would play ball so it might be the opportunity cost that could force MS into making such a move. They couldn't allow Sony to have this feature with EA games (Valve is no big deal) on next gen so they would make the compromises necessary to stop that.

Now that I think about it, this must be it, given that EA are all about unification recently it makes sense that they would enter into a strategic partnership like this. It also doesn't rule out a future partnership with Sony on the same terms.

Do you feel this way about Sony and their exclusive deals?

Yes I feel the same way about Sony and any of their anti-consumer policies, especially the "online pass" bullshit.

That's certainly killing Apple's business. Newsflash: customers don't care.

Apple soared when they had a product everyone wanted and nobody else had. That's not the case anymore and you can see their stock start to decline.

I guess to him Sony is sleazy because the are currently paying EA for timed exclusive DLC.

Timed exclusive games last generation helped the PS2 with the GTA series and Pro Evolution Soccer games especially. Now it's DLC, unless its really compelling and screams must have, I doubt many will give a shit.

Marleyman

Banned
Games that don't suck dick interest me. EA makes predominantly games that suck dick. Where's the confusion with this?

Mass Effect "sucked dick?" Mirror's Edge "sucks dick?" How about the Dead Space series; that also "sucks dick?" Battlefield 3 "sucks dick?" Need for Speed Most Wanted "sucks dick?"

Timed exclusive games last generation helped the PS2 with the GTA series and Pro Evolution Soccer games especially. Now it's DLC, unless its really compelling and screams must have, I doubt many will give a shit.

Nah, PES just didn't make it to Xbox because it was a non-factor in the major PES/WE markets, Japan and Europe. Eventually they got PES 5 and 6 out, but by then 360 and PS3 were on their way and the series had peaked with PES5 on PS2.

Mileena

Banned
Out of EA's sorta recent stuff, Shadows of the Damned and Alice which both probably would have gotten published without EA. Overall their games appeal to mass market, which usually means its not for me. Sorry bro.

Derrick01

Banned

No they don't :lol

You want a shooter, sports game or racing game? EA's got you covered.

You want anything else? If it even exists from EA chances are high there are no less than 4 companies that do each genre better.

Marleyman

Banned
Out of EA's sorta recent stuff, Shadows of the Damned and Alice which both probably would have gotten published without EA. Overall their games appeal to mass market, which usually means its not for me. Sorry bro.

So you shun mass market games just because?

Linkified

Yeah, I did think about that, but the potential gain might be worth it for them and I know Sony would play ball so it might be the opportunity cost that could force MS into making such a move. They couldn't allow Sony to have this feature with EA games (Valve is no big deal) on next gen so they would make the compromises necessary to stop that.

Now that I think about it, this must be it, given that EA are all about unification recently it makes sense that they would enter into a strategic partnership like this. It also doesn't rule out a future partnership with Sony on the same terms.

Makes it more appealing for other developers to then want to publish on Origin rather than Steam, and sell the 720 dream. That is one creative way to stop SteamBox and Sony from taking over the living room, I know my purchase habits would change if I was offered a PC copy of the same game.

Most likely via a Bluray watermarked with a digital access code that ties on your account, ala PS3 "Cross buy" games -which I already mentioned in this thread.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really love how CVG thinks Peter Moore being in the top spot helps the EA/MS rumor, despite the fact that he oversaw the partnership with Sony and EA since he's been there.

I love how just the idea of EA going to do any deal with MS is viewed as "Devils Work" and people are ready to completely write the publisher off. I think it would be just a tad different if this rumor was going the other way around.

Of course it would. Look at the MGS4 praise for being exclusive at the beginning of last gen.

Biggzy

It makes sense for EA and should get their investors a bit excited, and I am convinced that there is going to be some interesting symmetry between windows 8 and Durango - Steve Ballmer has been pushing to unify Microsoft's products and services for some time now.

Indeed. Although prepare for the visuals to undergo a noticeable downgrade before release.

:/

I sure hope not. I don't want a repeat of E3 2006.

Nah, PES just didn't make it to Xbox because it was a non-factor in the major PES/WE markets, Japan and Europe. Eventually they got PES 5 and 6 out, but by then 360 and PS3 were on their way and the series had peaked with PES5 on PS2.

Where was the GameCube, Dreamcast versions ?

I really love how CVG thinks Peter Moore being in the top spot helps the EA/MS rumor, despite the fact that he oversaw the partnership with Sony and EA since he's been there.

Yup, it was Peter Moore who made FIFA on Vita happen for launch, he is very Sony friendly. He left MS on very poor terms from what I remember.

Where was the GameCube, Dreamcast versions ?

Neither platform was worth making games for.

It makes sense for EA and should get their investors a bit excited, and I am convinced that there is going to be some interesting symmetry between windows 8 and Durango - Steve Ballmer has been pushing to unify Microsoft's products and services for some time now.

It would.

The last part of your post is what worries me. Xbox has been making the most interesting moves out of all MS divisions lately but I fear they are about to swallowed whole by the rest of the company and all of those cool things they have been doing will go out of the window as Ballmer shores up his position and fires all of the talent.

Windows 8 (in some form) on NXTBX is a sure fire thing.

Marleyman

Banned
No they don't :lol

You want a shooter, sports game or racing game? EA's got you covered.

No action/adventure games on XBLA from EA? Plenty of them and some are very good. Mirrors Edge and the Dead Space series are also solid games that they have put out.

Mileena

Banned
So you shun mass market games just because?
Just because I said they usually don't appeal to me. I like deep gameplay experiences not mass market shit appealing to the lowest common denominator. Crysis 3? No thanks, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in a few weeks.

Is it surprising? CVG is essentially The Sun of games journalism. Sensationalist garbage headlines and even worse opinion pieces all designed appeal to the lowest common denominator and increase traffic.

Derrick01

Banned
No action/adventure games on XBLA from EA? Plenty of them and some are very good. Mirrors Edge and the Dead Space series are also solid games that they have put out.

Dead Space is a shooter and Mirror's Edge came out ages ago. 6-7 years is an entire generation before this one happened.

Drek

Mass Effect "sucked dick?" Mirror's Edge "sucks dick?" How about the Dead Space series; that also "sucks dick?" Battlefield 3 "sucks dick?" Need for Speed Most Wanted "sucks dick?"

Mass Effect - yes. Bioware makes shitty games. That started with Jade Empire. I'm not dumb enough to be fooled by the production values in their shitty 3rd person cover shooter with weak RPG-lite elements and binary morality systems. What's worse, their already mediocre work completely hit the shitter in short order once being bought by EA. ME was tolerable and DA was ok, the first made pre-EA, the second already well in development. ME2 was the first step in EA homogenization, DA2 was dogshit, ME3 was just as bad.

Mirror's Edge - Good idea, needed a sequel to polish the edges. Where is that sequel?

Dead Space - good first game, solid second game, ruined the concept with the 3rd game and their focus group/market research approach to game design.

Battlefield - less shitty version of CoD? Yes, it does suck dick.

Need for Speed Most Wanted - inferior to Burnout Paradise, Criterion making steadily worse games the longer they've been with EA.

EA had a brief window early this generation where they gave some interesting new IPs a chance. When those didn't immediately break out they either gave up on them or went back to their same old bullshit copycat turn and burn game design. That period is the anomaly in EA's long and storied history of making shitty games. The industry would be significantly better off without EA.

I can totally see an MS/EA partnership developing though. From the sounds of it MS' Xbox division is now being ran by the same "I don't play games, they're for basement dwelling losers, this is just a stepping stone on my way to being CEO at Unilever where I can get free Axe body spray" bro-douches with MBAs who've been running EA into the ground.

Marleyman

Banned
Just because I said they usually don't appeal to me. I like deep gameplay experiences not mass market shit appealing to the lowest common denominator. Crysis 3? No thanks, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in a few weeks.

Shit like this is why the gaming industry is so fractured. "You like Crysis, you are a caveman dudebro LCD." "You should play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or else you are shit."

Elginer

I could see Microsoft and EA being very chummy with a next-gen Kinect and even more so with a reveal of Dragon Age III or the new Mass Effect title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom