• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Rumor: Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put it in perspective... Hot Shots Golf outsold GT5 in Japan. It is getting off topic but Fifa is still the biggest IP when looking at the worldwide market and not just Europe. But then again, Fifa doesn't really push that big of numbers in the US either.

That can't be good. Sony's premier racer seeing declines in their second biggest market.

You're calling for data where data can't exist, setting up a false standard of proof.

To illustrate that, what kind of data do you think would prove GT to be the stronger IP? Short of a mind reading device being employed across Europe you can't quantify brand strength into data.

You can however make logical deductions based off of the data we do have, sales figures. Does FIFA sell significantly more units per year than PES did in it's peak? No it does not. So has FIFA grown the market or did they just take over the market? Obviously the later. That doesn't imply any kind of brand strength, just currently holding the poll position, as it where.

Does any other racing game sell GT numbers in Europe? Obviously not. When GT was on hiatus for much of the first part of this past generation did anything even fill it's void in a noteworthy fashion? Again, no. So people who buy GT are in fact only buying it because it's GT. It's sales are entirely driven by it's own brand strength.

If you can't see the difference between those two I don't know how to more clearly outline it for you.

You're assuming. So be sure to qualify your posts with as much whenever you make such claims in future.

My impression is that MS will extend the 1-month exclusive pay DLC (that already do with Bethesda and CoD games) to some EA franchises.

It's a quite stupid way to spend the money giving nothing to your userbase (only paying to delay the launch of the DLC on the competence).

Probably because the Durango will block used games. EA has a monopoly on the sports genre, so it's not like the consumers will have many options. Either they buy the game for $69.99 or they don't buy it at all.

Drek

Pretty much, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Worldwide, Fifa is the bigger IP as outside of Europe the GT brand has been on the decline for years with Japan basically ignoring the last version of the game.

The last version of GT sold 400K it's first week in Japan and is over 700K lifetime. PS3 system sales also doubled the week of it's release in Japan.

By comparison the PS2 had over twice as many consoles sold in Japan and GT4 had more time on the shelf than GT5 has had to this point and it only sold 1.27M copies in Japan.

GT5 is very likely to come close to GT4's Japan numbers and is already doing better in the rest of Asia (where GT4 sold 180K and GT5 has already sold 310K).

It's dropped about 30% of it's sales in North America as well, though that is on hardware with about half the userbase previous GT games were selling so you can see that the contraction in GT's audience is less than the contraction in Sony's audience as a whole.

It's lifetime sales will likely end up somewhere in the same ballpark as GT4 (11.4M, GT5 is over 9M now). Neither game matched GT3's peak (14.89M) but then every series has it's peaks.

Probably because the Durango will block used games. EA has a monopoly on the sports genre, so it's not like the consumers will have many options. Either they buy the game for $69.99 or they don't buy it at all.

There's always Pro Evo. Which, with enough money, will be able to bridge the chasm that currently exists it and FIFA.

My impression is that MS will extend the 1-month exclusive pay DLC (that already do with Bethesda and CoD games) to some EA franchises.

It's a quite stupid way to spend the money giving nothing to your userbase (only paying to delay the launch of the DLC on the competence).

Not sure how that would work as Sony already pays EA for exclusive timed DLC for Battlefield.

Duffyside

Banned
Certainly hurt their sales, eh?

EA has never been in worse shape. Unlike almost every other company they've never recovered from the 08 recession, 2012 was their worst year in a very long time, KOTOR was a total disaster, they're slashing their output, I could go on and on and on.

What on earth are you talking about? More fanboy-driven nonsense?

Drek

Certainly hurt their sales, eh?

I think most of their shareholders would say that something certainly has. The company has been bleeding red ink for the better part of this generation and has fallen from the clear cut #1 3rd party to not even really being within striking distance, with competition tight on their heels.

You're assuming. So be sure to qualify your posts with as much whenever you make such claims in future.

I'm stating logical deductions, I did that from the outset. If people can't keep up that isn't my problem. If people disagree they're welcome to bring their own logical argument to the debate.

To that end, if you feel like it's just a baseless assumption where is your "data" to prove otherwise?

EA has never been in worse shape. Unlike almost every other company they've never recovered from the 08 recession, 2012 was their worst year in a very long time, KOTOR was a total disaster, they're slashing their output, I could go on and on and on.

TOR was a mistake of epic proportions, anyone with even the slightest bit of foresight could have predicted it wouldn't be as big as a success it would need to be recoup the money invested.

EA should do the sensible thing and commission Obsidian to work on a third Knights of the Old Republic and pretend TOR never happened.

I'm stating logical deductions, I did that from the outset. If people can't keep up that isn't my problem. If people disagree they're welcome to bring their own logical argument to the debate.

To that end, if you feel like it's just a baseless assumption where is your "data" to prove otherwise?

Complete fallacy. I don't need to provide data to prove otherwise as I made no such claim nor did I make assumptions, logical or otherwise and attempt to pass them off as fact.

In future, don't pass off assumptions or 'logical deductions' as fact. Qualify such statements.

Biggzy

TOR was a mistake of epic proportions, anyone with even the slightest bit of foresight could have predicted it wouldn't be as big as a success it would need to be recoup the money invested.

EA should do the sensible thing and commission Obsidian to work on a third Knights of the Old Republic and pretend TOR never happened.

Give them some technical help and a good engine and watch the cash flow in.

Drek

Why would Disney let EA take part in that?

Posted this in the wrong thread...meant to post it here:

I wonder if MS is going to let publishers distribute their games on Durango like they do on PC, via their own platforms. In other words, I wonder if where all of this is going is that Origin, UPlay and (the bombshell) Steam, will all be operable on 720. If the 720 is a digital platform only and MS is getting out of the distribution side and just takes a licensing fee to put out the games on 720 however the publisher chooses, what effect would this have?

Something tells me this is the path that Microsoft might be taking with their next console. I'm pretty excited to find out.

EDIT: Changed 360 to 720.
Good lord if that were to happen. The meltdowns, can't see Gabe doing it though.

That would be absolutely dreadful if there wasn't a single unified store/system. But you might be on to something.

I don't know, have a Steam app, an Origin app etc. Wouldn't be THAT bad, as long as the purchases were handled by MS across the board.

Shinta

Banned
I haven't bought an EA game since Mass Effect 2. The only EA game I'll probably get in the future is Mirror's Edge 2, and I don't care if they delay it a few months.

The rest of their games are pretty meaningless to me.

Drek

Complete fallacy. I don't need to provide data to prove otherwise as I made no such claim nor did I make assumptions, logical or otherwise and attempt to pass them off as fact.

In future, don't pass off assumptions or 'logical deductions' as fact. Qualify such statements.

1. I said if you disagree. I'm not making any assumption about your belief, just stating that if you disagree I'd be more than willing to have the debate.

2. Did I ever state it as binary fact? I don't think I did. I've provided the logic behind the statement repeatedly, even directly after making it. If you can't see a logical opinion for what it is I don't see where that is my problem and why I should curb my posts to meet your inability to keep up.

Nothing you wrote disputes that the GT series is on a decline outside of Europe. Fifa is still the bigger IP worldwide. What are Fifa sales so far this gen in Japan? Anyone have numbers? I'm on my phone.
Its only in decline if you think 15M is the series norm, otherwise it's just plateauing in the 10-12M range, despite a far smaller userbase for GT5.

As for FIFA: EA doesn't give very clear global breakdowns on FIFA (for good reason) but week 1 sales for FIFA 13's release in Japan were 35800 units. That same week Winning Eleven sold 32320, but that wasn't at launch and it had already move over 270k. Again, for comparison Gran Turismo 5 sold 430707 units week one in Japan.

From what I can find GT also sold about 470000 week 1 in the U.S., whereas FIFA 13 across both PS3 and 360 sold 353000 in the U.S..

So in fact FIFA's global appeal as a day one purchase seems to be more heavily tied to the European market than even GT's, the same European market that bought PES over FIFA all of last generation.

If MS could get BF4 and COD DLC it could seriously damage Sony in America. I do not think thats the case though.

This seems to be Acti/Destiny/PS4 vs EA/Respawn/720

There both big new IPS behind big publishers who do you think is going to win?

It seems Sony bet on Destiny and MS on respawn.

Why do people keep listing Act/Destiny/Sony as if its a thing? It's just going to be some exclusive bits of content and similar stuff will probably be available to MS.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Why do people keep listing Act/Destiny/Sony as if its a thing? It's just going to be some exclusive bits of content and similar stuff will probably be available to MS.

I honestly cannot think of a game that has gotten exclusive content on both sides. Anyone?

edit: aside from exclusive mascot characters in fighting games

Why would Disney let EA take part in that?

Apologies, I forgot about Disney buying Lucasarts.

Hopefully Disney see sense and push the Knights IP forward.

Because the rewards were too great.

I don't doubt the rewards would have been substantial, but it was looking a mess from the outset. I admire their efforts though, but it was mistake to turn a wonderful single player RPG into a MMO and hope the fanbase followed.

1. I said if you disagree. I'm not making any assumption about your belief, just stating that if you disagree I'd be more than willing to have the debate.

2. Did I ever state it as binary fact? I don't think I did. I've provided the logic behind the statement repeatedly, even directly after making it. If you can't see a logical opinion for what it is I don't see where that is my problem and why I should curb my posts to meet your inability to keep up.

You also made no attempt to clarify you were assuming or making loigcal deductions in your post. You stated the claim in a very manner of factly way, this suggested it was fact and not mere logical deduction.

In your own words - Gran Turismo is a stronger IP in Europe than FIFA. No qualification, no mention of logical deduction or assumptions, you stated it as fact.

Biggzy

I don't doubt the rewards would have been substantial, but it was looking a mess from the outset. I admire their efforts though, but it was mistake to turn a wonderful single player RPG into a MMO and hope the fanbase followed.

I don't think it was a mistake to turn a single-player RPG into an MMO per se. The real mistake was basically making a WoW clone and expecting the Star War license to sell the game, also when it was released it was becoming increasingly clear that the paid for subscription MMO is dying and free-to-play is the way forward if you want to make money.

Fanboy of what exactly? Please tell me more about me.

I think most of their shareholders would say that something certainly has. The company has been bleeding red ink for the better part of this generation and has fallen from the clear cut #1 3rd party to not even really being within striking distance, with competition tight on their heels.

Their core franchises are doing well. They're now doing the smart thing (Sony is doing the same) of focusing attention on fewer series and cutting loose dead weight, which their shareholders actually asked for earlier in the gen when the economy was tanking. EA has the advantage of possessing franchises people actually want.

rapid32.5

lol at ppl thinking MS will throw billions in money hats to stop EA games appearing on the PS4 on same day. 1 month time exclusive map pack at best.

lol at ppl thinking MS will throw billions in money hats to stop EA games appearing on the PS4 on same day. 1 month time exclusive map pack at best.

People were also sure Destiny was going to be an exclusive to the next Xbox. People want there to be dramatic announcements, exclusives etc, but what they're mostly going to get is a few exclusive DLCs, maybe a timed exclusive here and there, but not much else. Diablo 3, while not a favorite of many, is a pretty big deal if it's in fact exclusive to PS3/PS4.

DEADEVIL

People were also sure Destiny was going to be an exclusive to the next Xbox. People want there to be dramatic announcements, exclusives etc, but what they're mostly going to get is a few exclusive DLCs, maybe a timed exclusive here and there, but not much else. Diablo 3, while not a favorite of many, is a pretty big deal if it's in fact exclusive to PS3/PS4.

People didn't think that from a random rumor from no source, people got that from the leaked document.

People didn't think that from a random rumor from no source, people got that from the leaked document.

And from that leaked document they turned the Destiny reveal into some nefarious plan by Microsoft to steal Sony's thunder. And then Bungie shows up at Sony's reveal and essentially thumbs their nose at Microsoft. Pretty epic turnabout there.

Yay timed exclusivity bullshit! No matter who wins, gamers lose! Awesome!

Unless you own both next gen consoles. Then you dont really win or lose. Just makes you be more on your toes about which console gets which exclusive.

Its only in decline if you think 15M is the series norm, otherwise it's just plateauing in the 10-12M range, despite a far smaller userbase for GT5.

You can't dispute that a game is losing appeal outside of Europe by including European sales as proof. Media Track numbers are easy to get and not just one week. You're arguing in circles. FIFA is the bigger franchise. If anyone secured exclusive DLC it would be smart to do it with that franchise.

rapid32.5

A month or two is all they need. Worked well for CoD.

any numbers to prove that it worked or maybe X360 COD userbase had already been bigger in the US to sell more ? I didn't jump on time exclusive bandwagon, never will no matter who makes a deal with whom. I see it as a 2 minute fame for E3 audience that's all.
Besides EA doesn't have a single game to out match COD in sales right now.

shandy706

A French website has apparently leaked that Destiny will come out in early October.

Some tech sites are speculating that the NeXtbox/720/Durango/final name here, will launch with it.

So October for Microsoft??

any numbers to prove that it worked or maybe X360 COD userbase had already been bigger in the US to sell more ? I didn't jump on time exclusive bandwagon, never will no matter who makes a deal with whom. I see it as a 2 minute fame for E3 audience that's all.
Besides EA doesn't have a single game to out match COD in sales right now.

It must have worked as it got Sony to pay for timed exclusive DLC of their own. I wonder if every game will do this next gen.

Again, this cannot happen due to the licensing agreement with FIFA that means it must be available on all major platforms.

People thinking something like FIFA will be exclusive need to releax, no way will that be happening...

That said timed exclusive DLC really pisses me off. I think I'm still catching up on Fallout 3/New Vegas PS3 add on content, not to mention a full years wait for Skyrim stuff. So not only do I have to wait for it, but it's usually shittier than the 360 counterparts. Which is awesome.

On top of that at a system launch this kind of shit does not help me pick sides in a console race...

Biggzy

A French website has apparently leaked that Destiny will come out in early October.

Some tech sites are speculating that the NeXtbox/720/Durango/final name here, will launch with it.

So October for Microsoft??

I have some doubts whether Destiny will be ready for a release this year: Bobby Kotick was not sure about it releasing this year during Activision Blizzard's earnings call and for them not to show any gameplay to journalists earlier this month seems unusual to me if the game is supposed to be released this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom