• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA confirms layoffs [Layoffs in the 100s, Quicklime/PCV closed, EA memo leaks]

JABEE

e2AC11J.png
;)
Edit:
Nevermind. Why would you post an old picture?

Folstern

I hope Mohd didn't get laid off. He promised that I'd surely get the Karkland.

Hopefully the people involved find work soon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I edited in the (brief) EA comment into the OP so it's more clear what they're keeping, and thus by omission, what they're likely not keeping.

inky

That's such a stupid amount of people, jesus.

Keep doing what you are doing EA, I guess. I hope that plan of yours is working...

Well, blue_max mentioned they had been dissolved and the members either moved to Battlefield 4, Command & Conquer, or laid off.

LinkedIn supports this statement.

Thanks. I'd be curious to see someone do an article about the development of that game. I was a fan of the first game and even enjoyed the second one, but there was clearly a rather strange lack of polish in the second one. And other things that just felt off. It seemed like there were some dev issues going on behind the scenes.

What about Need For Speed?
Will that be affected?

I need my Underground 3...

I can't imagine NFS would be affected in any way. I'm pretty sure that Ghost was even set up specifically to work on titles in that series.

Schnozberry

and everyone thinks next gen is safe as long as your not called nintendo. the games industry is in a bad way

Sad thing is Nintendo hasn't laid anybody off, and they will likely end up profitable once they get their head out of their ass and release some software.

saladine1

Thanks. I'd be curious to see someone do an article about the development of that game. I was a fan of the first game and even enjoyed the second one, but there was clearly a rather strange lack of polish in the second one. And other things that just felt off. It seemed like there were some dev issues going on behind the scenes.

I can't imagine NFS would be affected in any way. I'm pretty sure that Ghost was even set up specifically to work on titles in that series.

I'm wondering if Alex Ward's comments on not wanting to make racing games anymore has something to do with all this. He didn't sound really happy..

1-D_FTW

Apparently so. I mean, clearly it's the internets fault this company has 10,000 employees. Big wonder these publishers can't make profits and are so reliant on the AAAA genre.

Sucks for everyone who lost their jobs, but it certainly doesn't dispel any assumptions that publishers are just loaded with middle-management bloat.

Paches

Microsoft money not enough to save them.

Sad for those let go. Also, slightly less sad for those that will have to inevitably pick up the slack and get no reward for it.

I'm wondering if Alex Ward's comments on not wanting to make racing games anymore has something to do with all this. He didn't sound really happy..

To be honest, i'm not sure what's going on there. Just last year EA handed over control of the series to Criterion. So it's really odd to see comments like that coming from the head of the studio.

sucks for the employees losing their jobs, but EA got too big for their own good and they need to come back down to reality since nobody likes them because they develop from the top down and don't respect the gamer.

bye bye EA.

Well, to be fair, that is actually 1/2 of what EA is doubling down on.

They refer to the Sony/Microsoft boxes as "new technologies".

Truth is i think this was expected not the amount of people but EA was looking to cut a good amount of the fat off .
EA was to big for there new strategy they were planing to do .

Who is Jesse Cox, how would he know this information, and why is he trustworthy?

He might know someone at EA who has the numbers, given his popularity.

He isn't inherently credible.

Jesse Cox is a voice actor, comedian, entertainer, and incredibly bad gamer. Host of the youtube channels jessecox and OMFGcata, he's also starting his own travel show early next year, while continuing regular hosting duties on The GameStation. When not mucking about online, he also lends his voice and acting talent to countless other channels and projects.

When it comes to Voice Overs, his goals are simple.
Always make the client happy, do whatever it takes to get the job right, never settle, continue to practice his craft, while getting as much exposure as possible.

Specialties:Down to earth, friendly, every day voices for commercial and online marketing. Creative, fun, and specialized in "fantasy" role characters.

JDSN

Banned
I apologize for quoting the image, sorry for the derail. Still, any reports on Montreal or the PoPcap people?

Top Bottom