• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA confirms layoffs [Layoffs in the 100s, Quicklime/PCV closed, EA memo leaks]

Visceral Montreal which made Army of Two: Mexibros closed.

Danger Close was effectively disbanded not too long ago with all members that were not laid off or departed being reassigned to other projects and other studios.

ouch, well the Redwood Shores is still open, and I am still hopeful for Dante's Inferno sequel, assuming it is worth it rather than a rip off, it had potential.

as for Danger Close, this is new to me, do you have a link ?!, I trust your words, but I want to read the whole story, thanks.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ouch, well the Redwood Shores is still open, and I am still hopeful for Dante's Inferno sequel, assuming it is worth it rather than a rip off, it had potential.

as for Danger Close, this is new to me, do you have a link ?!, I trust your words, but I want to read the whole story, thanks.

This would be the most official comment: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541068

See this comment: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54125337&postcount=35

Technically there are also some people at Maxis from there.

Ondore

It's terrible that so many are losing their jobs and I wish them a speedy return to employment. Too bad that instead of the developers losing their jobs it would be the decision makers who put EA in the position it's currently in. Always the corporate folks who make the decisions that are healthier financially that are safe.

One (Riccitello) is already out. Though I wouldn't mind Mr. Things Break and Mr. No Single Player Ever getting booted.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
EA Bioware in Galway did CS for SWtOR and only announced an expansion there a few months ago. I wonder if that's all on hold.
EA Galway did/does more than CS for SWtOR.

Sure, but EA isn't a hivemind right. I worked in a department I had a lot of faith in that I thought EA was handling correctly. I still buy Rockstar games as a consumer even though I've heard horror stories about working conditions. I buy shoes that were probably made in worse conditions, etc.

I was working on Need For Speed World in Quicklime, which has been out for almost 3 years now. Just recently (like a week ago) had a really big update and it's still bringing in revenue.

lol cheers, much appreciated.

Sad to hear that man, best wishes!

No, not necessarily.

I've just never heard of a business that purposefully tries to become smaller as a long term strategy. Normally, for any publicly traded company anyway, the long term strategy is always for growth even if it means cuts in the short term to get there.

This would be the most official comment: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541068

See this comment: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54125337&postcount=35

Technically there are also some people at Maxis from there.

You know that by "technically some" you mean "around half" right? Not trying to sound snide, just an fyi because it sounds like you think there's not many there. I could have misinterpreted though

Also, Redwood Shores is the headquarters. Of course they aren't shutting down the headquarters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know that by "technically some" you mean "around half" right? Not trying to sound snide, just an fyi because it sounds like you think there's not many there. I could have misinterpreted though

Also, Redwood Shores is the headquarters. Of course they aren't shutting down the headquarters.
I did not actually, thanks.

I only noticed Bazajaytee so I didn't want to speculate beyond that.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Even then, I mean it's not like they take the entire list of artists, producers, engineers, DDs, QA, sort by salary, and then say "who can we pick from the top half of this list?"

It's always strategic, it's just on a different scale. If they have too many DDs and not enough things for them to direct, they probably let go of the DDs who have the lowest impact. If their planning indicates they need X amount of engineering capacity to complete the project on time and they have Y, and Y > X, then they're not going to look at non-engineers for layoffs, and even STILL salary is going to be the last thing they look at, even among engineers. They're just going to sit into a room with the numbers like current project capacity, required global capacity, required capacity per project, and a list of engineers, and they're going to shuffle them around between projects seeing might have the skills to fit into which group and trying different combinations until required capacity and actual capacity match up.

Then they're going to look at all the combinations that work, see who is left out of each one, and fire the people who have the lowest performance, or maybe even that people just don't like the most.

It's never as simple as "senior guys are the most safe" or "junior guys are the most safe". The only people who are definitely safe are the 2-3 most senior engineers on the project.

Well said; what I posted was a too simplistic take on it. I guess it would be better to say that from my personal observation of layoffs... Multiple times I've seen people with more seniority who were subsequently getting paid more, yet were still responsible for much of the same work that more junior staff were also performing, get their heads placed on the chopping block when it came time to make cuts.

NoAccount

Very sorry to hear that man :(

Getting laid off from THQ was ironically the best thing that ever happened to my career; I hope you'll land on your feet soon (along with any other EA GAF members that may have been affected).

Agreeed about people hopefully landing on their feet. Getting laid off from 3DO (when it went out of business) was also the best thing to happen to my career. That layoff lead to Backbone which lead to Bungie. Good luck ex-EAers!

moka

This was bound to happen. I just feel bad for the employees that are going to lose their jobs.

You don't believe that most of these (ex) employees will be receiving 9.5 million dollars when they leave?

Oh.

Here's hoping these guys/gals can find work in the industry again soon.

So, serious question time. I'm sure this will come off as insensitive, but it's an honest question.

Why exactly does everybody feel bad for the people that got let go? People constantly hate on EA on this forum and other places on the internet. They're even the worst company in America apparently. The people who got laid off were all contributing, in some effect, to "ruining gaming" (in some peoples' opinions) and "shitting all over consumers".

If people are going to be so vocal in hating, I think they should be consistent. Even if it was the higher ups that called the shots, the people that got laid off today or whenever it happened were still the ones directly carrying out the tasks that are allegedly "killing gaming".

This inconsistency has come up time and time again whenever layoffs are announced, and not just with EA, but with other companies too. "God that's such a shit company I hate them from the deepest darkest bottom of my heart!" "ohh man, I feel so bad for all the people who lost their jobs... Hope they get on their feet soon". I mean seriously, what?

I probably don't need the disclaimer at this point since most people on this forum recognize my name by now, but for the record: I have no problem with EA as a company, so I actually do feel bad for the people that got let go, but I don't understand why this sentiment comes from people who hate the company and everything they stand for.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So, serious question time. I'm sure this will come off as insensitive, but it's an honest question.

Why exactly does everybody feel bad for the people that got let go? People constantly hate on EA on this forum and other places on the internet. They're even the worst company in America apparently. The people who got laid off were all contributing, in some effect, to "ruining gaming" (in some peoples' opinions) and "shitting all over consumers".

If people are going to be so vocal in hating, I think they should be consistent. Even if it was the higher ups that called the shots, the people that got laid off today or whenever it happened were still the ones directly carrying out the tasks that are allegedly "killing gaming".

This inconsistency has come up time and time again whenever layoffs are announced, and not just with EA, but with other companies too. "God that's such a shit company I hate them from the deepest darkest bottom of my heart!" "ohh man, I feel so bad for all the people who lost their jobs... Hope they get on their feet soon". I mean seriously, what?

I probably don't need the disclaimer at this point since most people on this forum recognize my name by now, but for the record: I have no problem with EA as a company, so I actually do feel bad for the people that got let go, but I don't understand why this sentiment comes from people who hate the company and everything they stand for.
Easy to hate when it's an inanimate entity. Different story when you realise it's all about actual people.

Also should be said that Internet nerd rage usually doesn't equal what people actually think. See the dickwad theory.

stolin

Unfortunately it's the actual developers (the talent !) that are punished, never the executives or suits that directed the company to Facebook & Mobile & Free To Play.

There is some talent @ EA, the guys on the teams have great potential, but like any behemoth they can never really execute.

To your question I guess there's always a sense of hope that the talented guys in development can squeak through the corporate eye enough to release a game that anyone here would play. Something like Dead Space was an example... and maybe if some talent were not laid off they could bring us another title.

moka

I think it's because most people hate 'EA' as a company and not people that work there. Most just don't like the people who are making the decisions. There's absolutely no reason to hate on the devs and designers who are just doing their jobs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

... use your brain on even a basic level and you can resolve this paradox.

I think it's because most people hate 'EA' and not the people that work there. Most just don't like the people who are making the decisions. There's absolutely no reason to hate on the devs and designers who are just doing their jobs.

They're making decisions too. You'd be surprised how low of a level some decisions get made at. All the way down to the associate producer level, pretty impactful decisions are getting made.

moka

They're making decisions too. You'd be surprised how low of a level some decisions get made at. All the way down to the associate producer level, pretty impactful decisions are getting made.

Decisions like making games always-online? I don't think so.

Decisions like making games always-online? I don't think so.

The associate producer isn't making always online decisions. But the associate producer's boss (who is probably UNDER the executive producer)? You betcha.

Edit: For clarification, no single person makes large decisions like this. But we're talking about the key players, and some of the key players are I think MUCH lower on the totem pole than a lot of people realize.

FStop7

Banned

1. The people getting the axe aren't the tone deaf decision makers.

2. It's a bad sign for the industry as a whole, which means it's a bad sign for the hobby we enjoy.

Log4Girlz

I'm sure everyone working at EA is equally responsible for every decision that company has made.

My resolution is this: People are either hypocrites or uninformed about what level decisions get made at.

Which is kind of the point of my post.

As a fundamental rule, you (talking in general, here) should never wish for a video game company's demise.

Now sure, you can criticize their games. You can criticize their policies. You can criticize their effects on the industry.

But the moment you or anyone responds "Good!!" to the news that hundreds of people are out of work, in a tough-as-nails industry, with bills to pay and family to feed....that's just inhuman.

Even the most slimy of game companies deserve your respect. I'm not saying you have to like what they do...just treat them like fellow humans.

moka

As a fundamental rule, you (talking in general, here) should never wish for a video game company's demise.

Now sure, you can criticize their games. You can criticize their policies. You can criticize their effects on the industry.

But the moment you or anyone responds "Good!!" to the news that hundreds of people are out of work, in a tough-as-nails industry, with bills to pay and family to feed....that's just inhuman.

Even the most slimy of game companies deserve your respect. I'm not saying you have to like what they do...just treat them like fellow humans.

Exactly. Like someone else said - it's bad for the industry.

It also sucks for the employees who probably all have families and people depending on them. 1000 people getting laid-off can affect 40,000 people. I'm talking about families here.

It's just not good news for anyone involved and it doesn't benefit the gaming industry or us as gamers in any way either.

Another sad day in games industry. I wonder how many similar news we will have during this year... It would be good to hear something positive. Anyway I I hope that affected people will land on their feet soon.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Did any layoffs hit BioWare Sacramento? If EA is moving away from BioWare Social stuff, I would be surprised if they escaped unscathed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EA's memo leaked: http://kotaku.com/heres-the-memo-ea-sent-employees-during-todays-layoff-481434626

EA said:
FROM LARRY PROBST
As we begin the new fiscal year, I want to provide you with a brief update on some important changes to our organization. As Executive Chairman, my focus is to ensure EA is delivering high quality games and services to our consumers, while helping the executive team develop a FY14 operating plan that drives growth, rationalizes headcount and controls costs.

In recent weeks, the executive team has been tasked with evaluating every area of our business to establish a clear set of priorities, and a more efficient organizational structure. This process has led to some difficult decisions about the number of people and locations needed to achieve our goals.

The workforce reductions which we communicated in the last two weeks represent the majority of our planned personnel actions. We are extremely grateful for the contributions made by each of these individuals – they will be missed by their colleagues and friends at EA.

We are also taking action to streamline our organization, including changes in two key areas:

· Core marketing functions have been consolidated under our COO, Peter Moore. The combined group will bring together our Label marketing teams, Global Acquisition Marketing and Marketing Analytics into one multi-talented team under Todd Sitrin’s leadership. The development and marketing teams will continue to work as cohesive units, driving clear and consistent messaging and consumer engagement for each of our franchises.

· Origin will move into Frank Gibeau’s Labels organization. Andrew Wilson will take on the leadership of Origin, working with CJ Prober and the team to create more value and an enhanced entertainment experience for our consumers.

Change is sometimes difficult, but essential. The adjustments we are making will put us in the best position to build great games and services, deliver them more efficiently to consumers, and demonstrate to players around the world why they should spend their time with us.

EA is a great company, with talented and hard-working teams, a strong portfolio of products and an extremely bright future.

Thank you all for your dedication and commitment to our long term success!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Well said, there is certainly a contradiction of behavior here at GAF sometimes.

Myself, I don't hate EA, however I do not like the company as a game developer and I very rarely buy their games. Honestly I can't remember the last EA game I bought, it might actually be Rush Hour for Simcity 4. And it's nothing personal but they just don't make the kinds of games I like to play.

That said, I envy every one of the people who work for EA, even the ones being fired right now, especially Pavloo here at GAF. They are all working in the gaming industry, a job I've only dreamed of my whole life. I chose a different, more stable career path, and now I am relegated to developing my own indy games as a hobby in my spare time. Which is to say I've never completed any game at all and most likely never will, I just don't have the time, skill, nor experience to actually make a game that is worth anything.

I hope they all find new jobs in the career that they love, hopefully for a company that values them (and the consumers) more than EA has.

jaosobno

I hope everyone that lost their job finds a new one as quickly as possible. I'm truly sad about this.

This stuff happens because those fucking cokehead managers expect infinite profit growth. As soon as the graph starts descending or goes flat somebody losses their job. That's some sick shit that is happening in literally every industry today. No such thing as infinite profit growth. It always stops somewhere.

Top Bottom