• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Riccitiello steps down as CEO of Electronic Arts. [Resignation/Farewell Letters]

Jarmel

Banned
Not surprised and not sure if this is good news till we hear who is the successor.

He was fucking done after TOR.

Fatalah

I remember the days of glitching the unlockables system. If you scroll fast enough down the menu, the game would show for a split second hidden players such as Babe Ruth.

I played both games on the Gamecube. Still boggles my mind what 2K sports did to current gen baseball on the XBOX. YOU BASTARDS.

Terrell

Jeez, we have his resignation letter, letter to employees, comment from the board.... not even Kim Kardashian is this needlessly over-exposed. Next we'll have video of him crying in the office washroom on his last day.

Ryuuga

Banned
472shjs8.gif

Are they still gonna be gungho on holding exclusivity on the NFL brand?

I want a 2k NFL game already.

the NFL will want exclusivity. Nike didn't sign a deal to create NFL apparel in addition to Reebok, they got the rights INSTEAD OF reebok, so unless 2K is willing to outbid EA for the license, you might as well consider the NFL an EA IP.

Castef

Banned
-Dead Space

Guess EA shareholders are those that need to be punch in the face.

Well, not that the games in that list sold that much, actually.
I don't know what happened to EA in the past two-three years, actually.

Some choices are absolutely weird, like the whole Medal of Honor reboot thing, the management of DLCs and so on.

It seems like a series of very bad decisions one after another one.

Was it Riccitiello's fault? I don't think so. Not entirely, I guess.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I actually liked JR. I've met him and seen him speak a few times. His dedication early on to quality and new IP was admirable. He really did turn EA's image around for a period, as people started looking at Bobby K and Acti as the bad guy. When the returns weren't coming in fast enough, they were forced to make some profit-baring decisions a lot of consumers took as, we'll, "anti-consumer," but to me, he brought a lot to the table and I've enjoyed many games under his control.

Their culture is super mechanical and methodical but its not always the CEOs fault ad they have tremendous market pressure which drives a lot of buisness decisions toward maximizing profit potential - not that all businesses don't, but EA in particular tends to drive monetization for the rest of the industry and take a lot of flak for it. JR got the sword for it.

I actually liked JR. I've met him and seen him speak a few times. His dedication early on to quality and new IP was admirable. He really did turn EA's image around for a period, as people started looking at Bobby K and Acti as the bad guy. When the returns weren't coming in fast enough, they were forced to make some profit-baring decisions a lot of consumers took as, we'll, "anti-consumer," but to me, he brought a lot to the table and I've enjoyed many games under his control.

Their culture is super mechanical and methodical but its not always the CEOs fault ad they have tremendous market pressure which drives a lot of buisness decisions toward maximizing profit potential - not that all businesses don't, but EA in particular tends to drive monetization for the rest of the industry and take a lot of flak for it. JR got the sword for it.

Stop talking sense - grab a pitchfork and take part of the schadenfreude with everyone else!

MrDaravon

As Ninja posted above, the NFL wants exclusivity, EA was just the highest bidder. Next go-round unless 2K (or someone else) outbids EA it will continue to be an EA game. In this one instance I can't really blame EA necessarily, since the NFL is the one shopping it around as an exclusive only.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I know, I liked him too. He was one of the first people who said: "I'd like to do a Mirror's Edge 2". He said himself that he wanted to turn around EA's old image into something better, and it did work. But it was costing the company money, and they're a public company which pressured him into focus more into money rather than quality. Yet he did not want to go completely to one extreme, he tried to make kind of a hybrid model where we could get both the good games and they could get into green fields of money. Lamentably, as Gabe Newell has said, gamers know when a company is focusing on us and not in their money, and we responded, just like it happened with Dead Space 3 and most notably Sim City.

JaxJag

Banned

NFL is the one who wanted to do an exclusive contract. They want to only have one company making NFL games, so there will never be more than that making them.

Iacobellis

and have some new guy run nintendo? I'll stick with the manic I know.

I feel like if Iwata were to step down, Nintendo wouldn't be all about innovation like they have been recently. Like, Miyamoto was all about 3D (dating way back to Rad Racer), but the Nintendo before Iwata still used traditional controls of play. The DS and Wii saw massive success, but the 3DS and Wii U not as much.

I still like, Iwata, though.

That's too bad. I think a lot of good came from him, and I honestly doubt that some of the company's more notorious things are coming from him. Be careful what you wish for.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol @ people celebrating. Probst led EA through its most evil and profitable years and is responsible for mobile projects currently. I wanted to buy Sim City to get a free game on Origin but fuck that. EA has went down the shitter completely.

MaddenNFL64

lol @ people celebrating. Probst led EA through its most evil and profitable years and is responsible for mobile projects currently. I wanted to buy Sim City to get a free game on Origin but fuck that. EA has went down the shitter completely.

Shit at least under Ricci, a few new IPs got made.]

Probst is gonna just make EA double down on making bank, like he did back in the early 2000s.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I dont want Peter Moore to take over tho

I dunno. Moore could probably continue Riccitello's new IP focus. But at the same time, he'd probably lock up the sports licenses and most anything else he could if he could get away with it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's gonna get worse.

He left/got fired due to financial reasons and low share price. Which means the new CEO's first order of business will be taking the kind of decisions that give Wall Street a boner.

AKA bad news for employees and customers alike.

Eusis

It's gonna get worse.

He left/got fired due to financial reasons and low share price. Which means the new CEO's first order of business will be taking the kind of decisions that give Wall Street a boner.

AKA bad news for employees and customers alike.
This is also why I wouldn't celebrate Iwata leaving. Then again with Yamauchi's hold he'd probably be defended, and thus it would be him CHOOSING to leave and they picking a suitable successor that carries Nintendo's overall spirit, for better or worse (probably better for those like me.) EA I see going back to how they were in the late 90s/early 2000s, likely worse actually thanks to new opportunities to exploit consumers.

frontovik

Banned
I just hope EA crashes and burns. The gaming industry would benefit from a reformation to weed out the greedy and incompetent publishers.

Iacobellis

I played both games on the Gamecube. Still boggles my mind what 2K sports did to current gen baseball on the XBOX. YOU BASTARDS.

I remember playing this and Madden constantly with my dad on his PS2. The soundtracks back then (ahem, EA Trax) are unforgettable.

I remember the days of glitching the unlockables system. If you scroll fast enough down the menu, the game would show for a split second hidden players such as Babe Ruth.

EA could have bought rights to the MLB for this year. TTWO was happy that the contract ended because all it did was lose money for them. But EA decided not to for some unknown reasons. Thus, another year of MLB 2Kn with a last minute deal to ensure there was at least some x360 baseball.

I have no idea what happens next year. I am very curious. But I'm glad that TTWO and EA are united in not taking a deal that fucks over the game publisher.

Pyccko

I'm sure it has, but I really hope The Ballad of John Riccitiello has been posted.

For what it's worth, he gave us Mirror's Edge and Skate, so I could never really hate him.

Gorillaz

"Sometimes it's better to deal with the Demon you know rather then the Demon you could"

Well see what happens to EA, will be interesting

Iacobellis

EA could have bought rights to the MLB for this year. TTWO was happy that the contract ended because all it did was lose money for them. But EA decided not to for some unknown reasons. Thus, another year of MLB 2Kn with a last minute deal to ensure there was at least some x360 baseball.

I have no idea what happens next year. I am very curious. But I'm glad that TTWO and EA are united in not taking a deal that fucks over the game publisher.

I would not mind an MVP game for PS4/720. It'd be the first baseball I sink my teeth into in a long time.

Top Bottom