• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II won't have a Season Pass, don't want to fragment community

This won't be a day one for me, regardless. My faith in EA multiplayer models isn't exactly at an all time high. Plus there are too many other good games coming out.

Just five full price DLC packs, no discount bought together.

Maybe constant small releases at a low price. "Our marketing research team found that if you charge people in small increments of $5 or less you can get away with charging plebians up to 30% more than even previously and have higher retention rates."

SomTervo

Megaton, imo. Coming from EA.

Follow the Rainbow Six Siege/Uncharted model. Free content and expansions all round, but a minor grind (or payment) to unlock better gear/cosmetics.

That doesn't say it wont have a season pass at all.

What are you reading?

Bernd Diemer, DICE's Battlefront II creative director, confirmed it outright in a chat ahead of the game's Star Wars Celebration 2017 reveal: "We don't have a season pass."

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So i don't need to pay ~£90 for the the full game? I would love if they do free expansions even if it was 2 instead of 4 but just charge for cosmetics.

N7.Angel

Good, fuck season passes. They discovered that they can make more money with skins, it's pretty much Overwatch biggest money maker

Sorry if this isn't known, I didn't play much of the original, but couldn't they still charge money for the expansions as they're released individually rather than just do a season pass price upfront? Couldn't it ending up costing more money if they release a bunch of expansions this way?

Of course it would be great if they were all free and just charged for cosmetics.

Maybe constant small releases at a low price. "Our marketing research team found that if you charge people in small increments of $5 or less you can get away with charging plebians up to 30% or more than previously and have higher retention rates."

In the other thread when I posted this I was joking. But I actually wouldn't put it past them. And based on people I know, this buying scheme would mesh well with their habits as they are horrible at understanding how much they are spending if they do it in tiny bits.

HeeHo

It wont have a season pass...you'll just have to buy everything separately.

Ha, yeah. I don't know why it's assumed as a good thing.

Kind of like the Persona 5 situation. I'd rather have a season pass than pay what they are charging for everything individually.

200.gif

-Mikey-

I hope instead of an animation of a box opening we get to see a smelly Bantha Poodoo unfold like a blooming onion.

Ha, yeah. I don't know why it's assumed as a good thing.

Kind of like the Persona 5 situation. I'd rather have a season pass than pay what they are charging for everything individually.

I really doubt that happens. Instead they'll double the micro transactions. Like I already have a bad felling about these Epic Abilities.

Rodelero

I can scarcely express how happy I am to hear this. I absolutely loathe the way Battlefield and Battlefront are monetised. Yes yes yes yes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's worth noting that the pre-order bonus is for cosmetic skins, so presumably they're thinking in that direction.

Capitan

if this means i won't have to pay a hundred bucks for a game, i'm in. hopefully they just charge for cosmetics. Part of me still doesn't trust EA to give out DLC for free, though. From what the guy says, though, that's what it sounds like.

Have they even monetized skins yet in BF1?

Yes. It usually takes a few months to add them in. I think they think not having them at launch is a better PR move. So usually 3-5 months. To their credit, Battlefront actually had the lightest Micros since Dice started doing them, but they bluntly said it wouldn't have them, yet they added them in anyway in the form of quick starts.

I'm not surprised they're doing this though. More money over time is always the better route.

Fantastic news if true. Season passes for these types of games can really ruin the flow of the game, leaving out the majority of its player base to older stale maps.

Strakt

Thank god.. would prefer microtransactions over locked content any day. Overwatch and Titanfall 2 do it right.

Paid hero unlocks is my guess, which is infinitely better than paid maps that split the user base.

C9LOiZSXUAAaPk9.jpg:large

Yeah, paid maps is the WORST offender for online games. Stupid, stupid idea that some nincompoop came up with to generate "more money" because who cares if folks don't play the game and it's locked content, right?

Thank you Respawn and Ubisoft. Thank you for killing this fucking trend by showing a game can be equally successful without these shitty trends.

Top Bottom