• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Doomed: New Star Wars trailer fails to shatter first day viewership record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
edit: Ugh! title should be "trailer fails"

The third Star Wars TFA trailer came just 1 million short of the all-time record for most first day trailer views with 37 million.

The all time record is 38 million. Which happens to be held be the second teaser for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The second teaser took the all-time record from, of course, the first Star Wars TFA teaser.

Although with over 15 million viewers seeing on TV during Monday Night Football that might cloud things a bit.

https://variety.com/2015/digital/ne...wly-misses-one-day-traffic-record-1201623109/

The force is in full effect for the seventh installment of the Star Wars franchise, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” due out in December.

Since its broadcast premiere on “Monday Night Football,” the first official trailer has accumulated an estimated 37 million global YouTube views in its 24 hours since bowing, less than 1 million behind the film’s second teaser trailer released in April. By combining the trailer release with the opening of ticket sales, “Star Wars” accumulated the second highest YouTube view count of the year, behind only its own teaser trailer #2 released in April.

But the trailer dominated the competition based on Digital Audience Ratings (DAR), which measures other major digital platforms including YouTube. One day post-release, “Star Wars” nearly doubled the cross-platform digital engagement generated by films like “Suicide Squad” and “Batman v Superman,” while also tripling the first teaser trailer back in November.

It was the strength of this cross-channel activity that led “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” to shatter the first day ticket pre-sale record, previously held by “The Hunger Games”.

Nugg

Tons of people saw it on TV. Also, there's a lot of people feeling that they've seen enough and don't wan't to get spoiled.

CC4IWjnVIAAaldl.jpg:large

I always feel like it makes sense for the earlier trailers to get more views, since people are more thirsty at that time

To be honest I'm surprised the first trailer didn't beat the second, but that's probably because it debuted on Apple before YT

Cheebo

Banned
I always feel like it makes sense for the earlier trailers to get more views, since people are more thirsty at that time

To be honest I'm surprised the first trailer didn't beat the second

The Han stinger on the end of the second likely helped, the second trailer shattered the record that the first one set.

ezekial45

Banned
Their first mistake was getting rid of Lucas, now they're paying for it. Thankfully, the true fans have seen through this cheap attempt at renewing the franchise.

kswiston

With only $5B+ worldwide this year, Disney studios should just pack it up and transition to direct-to-SyFy films. It's over.

"trailfails" is actually kinda catchy.

But yeah, the fact it caught 12 million eyes simultaneously on MNF, plus however many direct views from the twitter and facebook embeds.

I'm confused about the thread. Is this a way to make fun of people who didn't like the trailer or a way to hype the movie. What should we be discussing?

Anth0ny

probably thanks to MNF

Also, I found the second trailer more exciting. seeing chewy and han solo back for the first time probably got a lot of people to check it out.

3N16MA

Banned
I'm confused about the thread. Is this a way to make fun of people who didn't like the trailer or a way to hype the movie. What should we be discussing?

How Disney wasted 4 billion dollars on a flop of a franchise. 37 million views in 24 hours is horrible. It's not a record!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom