• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 confirmed in 2015, 8 and 9 to follow, new film every 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalmarc

From what i can gather george has said he's already penned treatments for 7,8 & 9

Will they now make the long rumoured fett movie?

Dec 21st is not the end of the world, but a beggining of a new hope

Izick

Here's my point of view on this and the bottom line:

Star Wars movies really couldn't get worse in terms of what Lucas did to them. Lucas completely destroyed the franchises credibility with the last three shitty movies. With that said, no matter what happens, I'm sure Star Wars fans can take it. We've literally had the creator of the series shit all over it and pimp it out. There's nothing Disney can do to hurt the series any further.

In fact, I'm sure the next trilogy could be good, but even if it isn't, Disney will likely give us the Blu-Ray/HD revisions of the Star Wars movies we deserve. No more dealing with Lucas' passive aggressive bullshit. We're going to get HD redoes of the first movies, and that's that. That's enough of a win for me.

jtb

Banned
Del Torro makes a good film, but he wouldn't be my choice for a space opera. He does atmospheric and spooky very well (Pan's labyrinth, hellboy 2) but that's not what I'm really looking for.

I would probably say David Yates, who did Deathly Hallows pt 1 and 2 would be a good pick (there's your fantasy chops right there), and i don't think anyone's mentioned him yet. But you know who would be beastly? Luc Fucking Besson.

you know who would make a beastly Star Wars film? Luc fucking Besson.

Ugh Yates is terrible.

But that reminds me of a person that would be perfect.

Fucking Alfonso Cauron.

-snip-

Jesus, no need to bold your entire post to remind us it's "the bottom line."

Akahige

I would probably say David Yates, who did Deathly Hallows pt 1 and 2 would be a good pick (there's your fantasy chops right there), and i don't think anyone's mentioned him yet.
yeah he would work out good, they need someone on set he can get shit done without fucking around and reading about him that seems like him. Get him to work with a better editor and writer.

legacyzero

Banned
I for one would LOVE a new Star Wars trilogy.

Just dont let George Lucas ANYWHERE near the acting part of it.

Oh, and %50 less green screen please.

Star Wars movies really couldn't get worse in terms of what Lucas did to them. Lucas completely destroyed the franchises credibility with the last three shitty movies. With that said, no matter what happens, I'm sure Star Wars fans can take it. We've literally had the creator of the series shit all over it and pimp it out. There's nothing Disney can do to hurt the series any further.

In fact, I'm sure the next trilogy could be good, but even if it isn't, Disney will likely give us the Blu-Ray/HD revisions of the Star Wars movies we deserve. No more dealing with Lucas' passive aggressive bullshit. We're going to get HD redoes of the first movies, and that's that. That's enough of a win for me.

hey guys, this post is important. its in bold and stuff!

fuenf

Del Torro makes a good film, but he wouldn't be my choice for a space opera. He does atmospheric and spooky very well (Pan's labyrinth, hellboy 2) but that's not what I'm really looking for.

I would probably say David Yates, who did Deathly Hallows pt 1 and 2 would be a good pick, and i don't think anyone's mentioned him yet. But you know who would be beastly? Luc Fucking Besson.

you know who would make a beastly Star Wars film? Luc fucking Besson.

Yeah a del Torro film would proably be too dark, but Pan's Labyrinth had exactly the mixture of fantasy and realism, that i would be looking for in a new Star Wars film. But yeah it's a valid concern and i'm not sure whether could pull it of in a lighter setting.

Anyone BUT Yates, pls. For me the HP franchise died when he took over the reigns, Phoenix had potential but the climax fell flat. I fell asleep during the sixth one and DH2 literally hit all the wrong notes. But you might be onto something with HP, Cuaron!

Izick

Nope, I assure you it can and will get worse.

-Sand gets everywhere

-Jar-Jar

-The Force Unleashedz 2

-Nooooooo!

-Politics

It can't get worse. That shit listed was done by its creator. It could definitely feel worse, but it will never get to those levels because deep down you know it's not the guy who made it twisting the knife.

Nizz

I feel nothing. All my love for the Star Wars has been beaten, butchered and killed by the last three movies and is buried somewhere in the Nevada Desert.

But if I could wish for something, its that they keep Mark Hamil on as Older Luke and make him batshit insane.
I've always pictured an older Mark Hamill coming back as an Obi-wan type character leading a new group of Jedi's. I've never read any books so I don't know if that's basically what happened in them after Return Of The Jedi.

Also, the force.net must be drooling at this news. Haven't visited that site in yeeaarrss.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The original star wars and Empire Strikes Back are some of the most respected movies among film makers anywhere. And all of them have the experience of looking at the franchise through the same eyes as the fans see it. George Lucas never had the luxury of seeing it that way, and I think that was one of his biggest problem. There's also the fact that a new director can't hide behind the "this is my creation I can do what I want" excuse that Lucas has taken advantage of.

I would never expect any movie to reach the expectations of the original trilogy, because even outside the fandom there's not many movies at all period that can live up to that. But something that at least lives up to some of the best Extended Universe stuff could very possibly occur. So I'm happy to take a chance with a new Star Wars like that.

If the movies are shit I really don't care at this point. At least this lends credibility to the rumors of a full Star Wars area at Disney World.

Yeah a del Torro film would proably be too dark, but Pan's Labyrinth had exactly the mixture of fantasy and realism, that i would be looking for in a new Star Wars film. But yeah it's a valid concern and i'm not sure whether could pull it of in a lighter setting.

Anyone BUT Yates, pls. For me the HP franchise died when he took over the reigns, Phoenix had potential but the climax fell flat. I fell asleep during the sixth one and DH2 literally hit all the wrong notes. But you might be onto something with HP, Cuaron!

Oh, i didn't realize he did Azkaban. my memory is bad. That might have been the first film that really drew me into the franchise.

The original star wars and Empire Strikes Back are some of the most respected movies among film makers anywhere. And all of them have the experience of looking at the franchise through the same eyes as the fans see it. George Lucas never had the luxury of seeing it that way, and I think that was one of his biggest problem. There's also the fact that a new director can't hide behind the "this is my creation I can do what I want" excuse that Lucas has taken advantage of.

a thousand times this. Its easily the #1 reason why the prequels were so bad. No one could tell lucas a goddamn thing.

Solo

thanks for the info future boy. Nobody can claim either way if it will be great or shit.

you people with your Star Wars hate crack me up.

-Sand gets everywhere

-Jar-Jar

-The Force Unleashedz 2

-Nooooooo!

-Politics

It can't get worse. That shit listed was done by its creator. It could definitely feel worse, but it will never get to those levels because deep down you know it's not the guy who made it twisting the knife.

- Orci/Kurtzman will write
- Ratner directs
- Johnny Depp as Luke Skywalker

Boom. Done.

Izick

I would never expect any movie to reach the expectations of the original trilogy, because even outside the fandom there's not many movies at all period that can live up to that. But something that at least lives up to some of the best Extended Universe stuff could very possibly occur. So I'm happy to take a chance with a new Star Wars like that.

I mean anything at this point though is going to be good. I mean people's expectations are coming from the prequels. I would be happy if we got a trilogy that was a quality between the originals and the prequels at this point. Obviously I would hope it'd be be better than that, but still, the expectations are in the basement.

- Orci/Kurtzman will write
- Ratner directs
- Johnny Depp as Luke Skywalker

Boom. Done.

Still would be better than the prequels.

watershed

Banned
If Disney/Lucas recruit top directors like Virbinsky and Cuaron for these films I'd be amazed. Spielberg should finally get his shot at Stars Wars as well. I probably butchered all those spellings.

This is the worst thing I have ever read on the internet.

Akahige

Alfonso Cauron wouldn't never happen but Yates has been attached to a few different trilogies since the end of Potter and wouldn't have any apprehension to doing something like this

Mœbius

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... https://twitter.com/gregalor/status/263382748755030016

Those prints are dust. (Worked as Disney and Lucasarts restoration artist for 4 years.)

fuenf

Oh, i didn't realize he did Azkaban. my memory is bad. That might have been the first film that really drew me into the franchise.

Alfonso Cuaron did an amazing job on Azkaban, the film drew me in too. But non of the following films reached its level, maybe that's why i'm so disappointed in Yates. I havent read the books, so i dont know whether the director or Rowling is at fault there.

At first, this didn't make any sense to me.

But thinking about it some more, this MIGHT end up being a good thing.

Taking the creative control out of ol' George's hands might be the best thing you could possibly do for this franchise. Ex: Dave Filoni's Clone Wars show

B.K.

Disney BETTER get John Williams back to do the soundtracks for each movie. They better not replace him with one of their people.

I wonder when The Magic Kingdom will get a Star Wars Land. They've already added Marvel stuff, haven't they?

Alfonso Cuaron did an amazing job on Azkaban, the film drew me in too. But non of the following films reached its level, maybe that's why i'm so disappointed in Yates. I havent read the books, so i dont know whether the director or Rowling is at fault there.

maybe a little from column a, a little from column b. with a property like that, you really have to be careful about how close you hew to the source material, or fans will revolt.

I thought yates did a pretty good job of translating the books to film- the columbus movies are the only ones i thought were bad.

this great news, especially if Lucas loses creative control. Eps 1-2-3 were so wtf.

2ndly, probably Disney will decide to release the REAL versions of Ep. 4-5-6 onto BluRay

golem

All of the pirates films (sans 4, which I did not see) smack the shit out of the prequels, and it's not close.

Are they amazing, film of the year material? no. But actually go back and WATCH the prequels. Terrible filmography. lifeless CG. Horrible script. Shit acting. Hell, the acting from Depp, Rush, OR Nighy alone is better than everyone in all the prequels put together.

Even people who are usually solid in other movies (Portman, Jackson, MacGregor) somehow magically turned to crap in those films.

Yep, I dont really remember shit from Pirates, but I do remember they were fun films at least. Much more than I can say for the prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom