• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 confirmed in 2015, 8 and 9 to follow, new film every 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangocube

Banned
Awesome news. I don't care how mediocre Episodes 1, 2, & 3 were, I love the hype that surrounds any Star Wars movies.

Don't mess it up Disney!

Metalmarc

I always thought lucas would turn over the rights of star wars to his own kids though

Do you think disney will try to aqquire D.C next?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I do not understand how someone could react negatively to this news.

I mean I understand the "let sleeping dogs lie" angle.. But what would be preserved, exactly? Lucas' legacy of childhood rape?

The only way to go is up, I'd say. I am curious to see a Star Wars movie from literally anyone but Lucas, just to see what could be done with the material....

Nizz

Whatever they do, they have to keep the yellow Star Wars logo and yellow text crawl at the opening of each movie.

BocoDragon

Whatever they do, they have to keep the yellow Star Wars logo and yellow text crawl at the opening of each movie.
Part of me says 'sure.'

But part of me says, well, I'd be curious to see a different take on the opening...

Xenon

I've always pictured an older Mark Hamill coming back as an Obi-wan type character leading a new group of Jedi's. I've never read any books so I don't know if that's basically what happened in them after Return Of The Jedi.

Also, the force.net must be drooling at this news. Haven't visited that site in yeeaarrss.

Me either. Did Lucas even allow people to write official books about events after Jedi?

I always thought lucas would turn over the rights of star wars to his own kids though

Do you think disney will try to aqquire D.C next?

Disney would have to make one hell of a deal to Warner Bros. to let that one go, especially considering the last Batman film grossed over a billion dollars, they just rebooted Superman, and are trying to get a Justice League film off the ground.

Sorry if posted before but...

Darth_vader_no.gif

There is at the very least an existing high-quality film of the original A New Hope. I remember the owner was prepared to offer it for the blu-ray, but Lucas turned him down.

And I'm pretty sure that the other two movies still have a similar copy somewhere out there.

exactly. Why people think it's TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to restore something as high profile as Star Wars when literally every episode of star trek from the 1960s could be redone in a heartbeat is confusing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hired a young and hungry director like Duncan Jones, to offset the production costs.

star wars is worth so much money to disney (remember: merchandising) that production costs here are literally an afterthought.

BocoDragon

exactly. Why people think it's TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to restore something as high profile as Star Wars when literally every episode of star trek from the 1960s could be redone in a heartbeat is confusing.
The reason why is because Lucas has said that the original negative was altered for the Special Editions, all old copies destroyed.

But it was probably a lie.

Nizz

For Episodes 7 to 9 sure. After that they should ditch everything, except the universe and reboot that shit in a different / time / world / whatever.
That'll work for me. But 7-9 should keep the openings that episodes 1-6 have just to feel a little continuity.

B.K.

I wonder what this news means for the 3D conversions of Episodes II-VI. I wonder if they'll be canceled or if they'll release them in the gaps between VII-IX.

BocoDragon

I wonder what this news means for the 3D conversions of Episodes II-VI. I wonder if they'll be canceled or if they'll release them in the gaps between VII-IX.
I'd say they're gonna be released right on schedule, leading into VII. They'll want to reintroduce younger generations to the films...

The reason why is because Lucas has said that the original negative was altered for the Special Editions, all old copies destroyed.

But it was probably a lie.

Of COURSE it's a lie. Like there's only one print anywhere, and only HE has it.

Prints routinely turn up in studio archives and private collections all the time. Someone just found "lost" Dr Who BBC episodes in Australia that hasn't been seen since 1965, and the BBC thought they had intentionally destroyed all of those.

the fact is that people have these copies and have offered them to lucas for FREE, but he didn't have the interest in doing it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't believe this is happening.

So first he says the series was 9 movies. Then he retcons the last three movies. Now he decides to sell to Disney and make the 3 movies he said never existed.

God damn.

Monocle

More Star Wars films, without Lucas in the director's chair? OK, why not! Worst case scenario is more of the same. Maybe someone who understands what made Star Wars great will accidentally end up in a position of influence on one or more of the upcoming films.

I'm not opposed to Harry Potter-style director shuffling.

fuenf

Sorry if posted before but...

Darth_vader_no.gif

That reminds me, say what you will about the prequels, but the Episode 3 trailer was fucking amazing. Tbh, Epi 3 wasnt all that bad, especially the ending montage and fade to 'A New Hope' was well done. I think it got the "fairly competent" Star Wars segment covered. That's why i really want Episode 7 to hit it out of the fucking ballpark and surprise us all.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hired a young and hungry director like Duncan Jones, to offset the production costs.

It will never happen anyway, but i have the feeling going lower budget (maybe 150m) could be the right move for Star Wars, it would force them to focus on the story and characters...

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Well if Lucas ain't writing or directing I'll certainly keep my hopes up.

Please base it on the Zahn trilogy, or at least take inspiration.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They're going to Harry Potter it. Star Wars Academy replaces the Harry Potter school. Luke replaces the old magician. Leia/Han's son replaces Harry.

That reminds me, say what you will about the prequels, but the Episode 3 trailer was fucking amazing. Tbh, Epi 3 wasnt all that bad, especially the ending montage and fade to 'A New Hope' was well done. I think it got the "fairly competent" Star Wars segment covered. That's why i really want Episode 7 to hit it out of the fucking ballpark and surprise us all.

It will never happen anyway, but i have the feeling going lower budget (maybe 150m) could be the right move for Star Wars, it would force them to focus on the story and characters...
Wasn't the budget on Ep III only $130? Lucas was pretty good at keeping the costs in-house.

Kaminski points out that a duplication of the original negative—commonly printed for the sake of protection—doesn't seem to exist for Star Wars. Something better was created, though: separation masters. "These are special silver-based copies that do not fade, and in theory should be almost identical in quality to the original negative itself, so even if the negative was destroyed you still have a perfect copy (which is the point of making the separation master)." Duplicates from these prints were used to replace damaged sections of the negative during the restoration before the release of the Special Edition.

That's not all, however. "There are also Interpositives and master prints. Interpositives (and Internegatives) are the color-corrected masters that theatrical prints are duplicated from, and were used in the past to make the home video telecines from 1985-1995." Another common practice is keeping print masters, which are high-quality, fine-grain prints kept in the eventuality that no other higher-quality copies or masters are available.

What this tells us is that Lucas wasn't lying—the original copy of Star Wars is, in fact, gone. What exists in its place is a composite film that has been restored and spliced together with Special Edition scenes and sections from other, later prints. There exist enough film copies and back-ups to re-create the film, however, so nothing is impossible in terms of a more classical high definition re-release.

whole article here.

Lucas is a lying sack of crap.

Metalmarc

Wonder if my pre 1997 star wars vhs tapes are worth anything, i think they were the 1995 (or somewhere around then) rereleases

*clings tight to vhs*

bring on 7-9 the fall of luke to the darkside

BocoDragon

More Star Wars films, without Lucas in the director's chair? OK, why not! Worst case scenario is more of the same. Maybe someone who understands what made Star Wars great will accidentally end up in a position of influence on one or more of the upcoming films.

I'm not opposed to Harry Potter-style director shuffling.
The original trilogy shuffled directors, so I think it's entirely appropriate to choose different people for each film,

Wonder if my pre 1997 star wars vhs tapes are worth anything, i think they were the 1995 (or somewhere around then) rereleases

*clings tight to vhs*
Nope. Go to any thrift store. Masses of them.

Gray Man

Banned
The original trilogy shuffled directors, so I think it's entirely appropriate to choose different people for each film,

I don't agree with shuffling directors at all. I'm personally glad that George Lucas will still have input, otherwise I would be worried.

People need to understand that the characters, the style, the universe won't be drastically changing, its very much established, they aren't going to come in and suddenly make things very different and changed.

rCIZZLE

2015 does seem like a strangely short window for the series unless it's already been in progress. Wasn't Episode 1 announced 5-6 years before it came out?

Because star trek had the benefit of not having a self loathing turd constantly trying to distance himself from the original versions by creating newer versions and trying to make the originals obsolete.

Whoops, I quoted someone talking about star trek and my quote got lost. That's what I get for using the mobile site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom