• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 confirmed in 2015, 8 and 9 to follow, new film every 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
Lucas is 68, and audiences and critics have savaged the last 5 films he's been involved in (all three prequels, crystal skull, red tails).

what on earth would make him think that starting a new studio with new movies would be a great idea?

There was savaging of Red Tails? I don't think enough people cared enough to "savage" it

maharg

idspispopd
You might have missed it- there was a thread on the gaming forum in which the conversation turned to exactly which properties were worth more- nintendo's, or disney's.

As it turns out, Disney has been earning $2 billion a YEAR in merchandising from just CARS alone since 2006.

link here

I can't find the original article, but it was implied there that Toy Story and Star Wars made far more. Disney will EASILY pay for this deal several times over with the first movie. They practically stole this for $4 billion.

Sure, if you include merchandising. He said the first film. They'll make a butload off merchandising whether they make more films or not.

They'll probably make $700mil off ticket receipts from the films, give or take.

No matter how you slice this, Disney got a lot more than $4 billion worth out of this deal, though.

shira

Lucas is 68, and audiences and critics have savaged the last 5 films he's been involved in (all three prequels, crystal skull, red tails).

what on earth would make him think that starting a new studio with new movies would be a great idea?

He says he'd love to just make movies. IFC is a great outlet.

Will they continue the story of the original trilogy characters?

can Mark Hamill make a comeback?!? I'm excited

markhamilton1.jpg

THE JEDI KNIGHT RETURNS

A cynical take on the Star Wars universe as Luke Skywalker comes out of retirement to fight corruption in the new republic.

Avatar as a single film is bigger than any one Star Wars film in box office but Star Wars is a far far bigger franchise, theatrical box office is just a sliver of what makes Star Wars such a huge money making franchise.

The cultural impact of Star Wars is gigantic, Avatar's has been rather minimal. Avatar disappeared from public very quickly after it's theatrical run. Star Wars is a gigantic marketing powerhouse. Avatar tie-in's flopped and disappeared quickly after the film was out. When is the last time you saw someone quote avatar or dress up as a avatar character? The 3 year period when Episode IV was the only Star Wars film Star Wars was still literally everywhere.

It is not even comparable. To call Avatar bigger than Star Wars is mad.
Quick question: you think these new Star Wars films are going to be released wide in 2D? You think the resurgence of sci-fi in Hollywood happened by itself? There are other ways Avatar influenced the industry an audiences.

We'll agree to disagree because I vehemently disagree with that definition of a "great" film. Regardless, Star Wars did change film—you mentioned it yourself; where do you think those formulas for big-budget blockbusters came from in the first place?

Don't take my word for it; Ebert: "Like The Birth of a Nation and Citizen Kane, Star Wars was a technical watershed that influenced many of the movies that came after."

That's only true for the first film in the 70s. there have been 5 films since then. The era when Star wars was a groundbreaking franchise is long since over.

as for the "blockbuster" formula- you yourself mentioned JAWS had done it before- the success of star wars or another special effects driven film after it is simply an inevitability.

Quick question: you think these new Star Wars films are going to be released wide in 2D? You think the resurgence of sci-fi in Hollywood happened by itself? There are other ways Avatar influenced the industry an audiences.

The resurgence of sci-fi happened long before Avatar. Avatar gets credit for popularizing 3D again (which may or may not be a good thing...) but the sci fi resurgence completely? no.

WillyFive

Avatar had a dramatic and profound effect on the entire movie industry, still felt not only to this day, but for upcoming movies in the horizon (remember The Hobbit?).

But Avatar is just one lone movie, and Star Wars is an entire empire.

bill0527

Do you think people and pop culture will be quoting lines from Avatar 35 years from now?

jtb

Banned
That's only true for the first film in the 70s. there have been 5 films since then. The era when Star wars was a groundbreaking franchise is long since over.

as for the "blockbuster" formula- you yourself mentioned JAWS had done it before- the success of star wars or another special effects driven film after it is simply an inevitability.

Well Empire Strikes Back and the first one are the ones everyone considers to be great. Then it became about the $$$ and the toys and not about great filmmaking.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This whole Disney buyout sounds like a good thing to me. They seem to have done well with Marvel.

Prequels aside, I like Star Wars. I'd like to see more Star Wars content that's good. I think Disney can treat the franchise right and come through on that front. I hope I'm not wrong. Either way, it's better than the occasional half-aborted game getting released and Lucas otherwise sitting on the franchise and doing nothing with it.

I hope they make it more like The Old Republic ala shit ton of Jedi vs. shit ton of Sith, that would be awesome!!!

I hope not. Everything the predates the original movies (or at least the formation of the Empire) in Star Wars lore is completely unappealing to me.

George Lucas is only a "creative consultant". Thank god. Get some good writers and directors on board, please!

What?

If he sticks to consultant, and it has the pacing and style of Pirates, then it could be something. It'll be different, but it could be something.

Cheddahz

Banned
shit, i can't remember any lines from avatar NOW

here's the only thing i remember from the movie

watching my little brother fall asleep in the theater while we watched it and remembering that it looked pretty nice, but everything else about the movie was awful

bill0527

shit, i can't remember any lines from avatar NOW

Exactly, and i can't either. I also fucking loved Avatar. But nothing in the movie resonates with popular culture in such a way where it will be remembered for much longer than a few months after you first saw it.

Oh no I agree Cameron won't be involved and he shouldn't, he isn't really a good fit. but the idea Avatar is bigger is just plain crazy. Star Wars is on a completely different plane than Avatar. Avatar had a huge box-office success but its cultural impact, marketing impact, merchandise impact were extremely minor compared to what Star Wars did. Even with just the first Star Wars film.

You're absolutely right and I do agree Cameron won't be involved with Star Wars. What I meant was if he were to direct the next Star Wars he personally would probably make less than he would with Avatar.

Star Wars is a much bigger franchise than Avatar and overall makes more money, but an Avatar movie's box office will be much larger than a Star Wars movies box office will be and Cameron will probably only make money off of the box office gross.

Do you think people and pop culture will be quoting lines from Avatar 35 years from now?

Just read the last line of the post you quoted again.

Although, how many people quote the first SW film outside of 'These aren't the droids you're looking for? We got two more Avatar films coming. Don't you worry!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Spielberg should get a movie, right? Or should he? I know he publically stated that he wanted to work on Episode III, but Lucas wanted it for himself?

Part of me thinks its appropriate.. but part of me thinks CRYSTAL SKULL.

Exactly, and i can't either. I also fucking loved Avatar. But nothing in the movie resonates with popular culture in such a way where it will be remembered for much longer than a few months after you first saw it.

Exactly. giving credit to Avatar for the sci-fi resurgence is lunacy.

Compare it's pop culture impact to "The Matrix." i dare you. I triple dog dare you.

Had the matrix sequels not been complete trash it would have been the star wars of the 21st century.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Lucas Film could be turned to the Mickey Side.
It would make a powerful Ally.
Another Intelligent Property.
They will join us or die.

We got Star Wars
We got Star Wars
We got Star Wars
We got Star Wars
and you know that we got it
Star Wars!
and you know that we got it
Star Wars!

Can anyone saying OMG NOO come back and actually say why they think this is bad news? I'm genuinely curious.

Literally anything negative that Disney could've done to Star Wars (more but shitty movies, overmerchandizing, killing the lore) has already been done by Lucas himself. What could Disney possibly do to warrant an OMG NOO the instant we hear these news?

jtb

Banned
Exactly. giving credit to Avatar for the sci-fi resurgence is lunacy.

Compare it's pop culture impact to "The Matrix." i dare you. I triple dog dare you.

Had the matrix sequels not been complete trash it would have been the star wars of the 21st century.

WB's handling of those sequels was appalling and completely bit them in the ass. The Matrix really should've been MASSIVE but they fucked that up for themselves (and killed the Wachowskis' career in the process)

Cyan

Banned
Can anyone saying OMG NOO come back and actually say why they think this is bad news? I'm genuinely curious.

Literally anything negative that Disney could've done to Star Wars (more but shitty movies, overmerchandizing, killing the lore) has already been done by Lucas himself. What could Disney possibly do to warrant an OMG NOO the instant we hear these news?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

Edit:
I assume, anyway. :p Not my position.

According to this, it should be possible to create a new print from the separation masters that is identical in quality to the originals. In that case there is no obstacle to releasing the original version of Star Wars other than the effort and costs involved, both trivial compared to what such a product would recoup.

exactly. There is no reason at all that it could not be done, given the ludicrous amounts of money such a release would bring in. The issue was that Lucas didn't want to do it, since he considered his remastered 1997+ versions "definitive."

You're absolutely right and I do agree Cameron won't be involved with Star Wars. What I meant was if he were to direct the next Star Wars he personally would probably make less than he would with Avatar.

Star Wars is a much bigger franchise than Avatar and overall makes more money, but an Avatar movie's box office will be much larger than a Star Wars movies box office will be and Cameron will probably only make money off of the box office gross.

Cameron would probably make as much money as Disney will spend to produce Episode 7.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I can understand the surface reaction of "nooo an evil media empire wins again, and is further raping this dead horse".

...but personally I'm hopeful that this will unleash Star Wars' inherent potential that has been locked in Lucas' flawed grip.

Crystal Skull was all Lucas.

Pretty much. Spielberg loved Frank Darabont's draft but Lucas hated it which led to Koepp fucking with it, and apparently all the unnecessary CGI was Lucas' call. I enjoyed the movie nonetheless but I wouldn't even begin to pin all of the problems on Spielberg.

pitt_norton

I love this news. It's a good thing.

The fanboy in me says leave John Williams out of it for new trilogy music continuity (I hate to say it but he may not last till ep 9) and bring in Michael Giacchino, John Carter score was an awesome riff on Star Wars!

That merchachising for Disney will be mad money, but it will still be nice for Cameron as he would probably make as much money as Disney will spend to produce Episode 7.

BowieZ

Banned
John Williams better be uppin' his intake of carrots and apples!

This could be an amazing life's final work - a new Star Wars trilogy.

He'd be 88 when writing the third one.

The fanboy in me says leave John Williams out of it for new trilogy music continuity (I hate to say it but he may not last till ep 9) and bring in Michael Giacchino, John Carter score was an awesome riff on Star Wars!

GTFO LOL

We're all missing the bigger picture here people. Ain't no way John Williams is coming back.

Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom