• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Fallen Order |OT| I have a gooood feeling about this

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm just off the first planet last night, and I've spent a few hours trying difficulties and really testing the different elements so here's a quick rundown that might help people.

Overall rating: For me personally, it's probably just behind Control. Depending on how highly you rate Control I guess. I actually think Control is round an 8.5 so this no higher than an 8 but leaning more towards 7.5 from my point of view (currently).

Graphics: Playing on PS4 Pro and the game is a bit inconsistent. It seems to suffer from what I call 'mod skate', where slow moving/walking makes it look like you're hovering above the floor and ice skating across it. Some of the assets like big thin plants have massive clear boundary boxes that you can't walk through which is annoying as well. I've turned everything off except motion blur and the game has solid environments. The creature design fits the world I think and the models are simple yet believable and well done. Performance wise, effects seems to give random stutters now and again (like fog drifting over water). Nothing significant as of yet but noticeable when just walking/traversing one place to another. Performance is probably better overall than Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but below in terms of pure visuals.

Combat and controls: Not a fan of the angled run, like a comic book and it makes the turning circle weird when you move the camera. I'm not sure where the Souls comparisons come from. Yes, you can lock onto enemies and strafe round them and it's melee based but that's about it. It's possible to pretty much one hit kill most enemies. Timed parry will deflect and kill laser shooters, and timed parry on enemies will give you a finisher opportunity. Glowing attacks have to be evaded and not blocked/parried.

First planet and small enemies are no trouble really to dispatch. When you get slightly larger enemies is where the camera turns to shit for me. There are these toad/newt crosses that are probably scaled to the size of a manatee. One of their attacks is some sort of belly flop jump and if you're close and locked on, the camera just completely fucks up and takes ages (second or so) to reset. If you don't use lock on it's too easy to lose sight and then get hit cheaply off screen and I think that goes back to the turning circle/camera issue earlier. It's manageable but it does get frustrating when one hit pretty much does you in on the highest difficulty. Blocking is actually useful though, parrying does have a decent enough window to use as well. Force powers I haven't really unlocked yet and they've mostly been to get through the environment by stopping fan blades or to slow enemies as that's the first ability.

Difficulty and bonfires: The bonfire system I really like except the lack of fast travel. When you unlock a bonfire, you get three options. Level, Rest or Leave. Level is self explanatory - the rest mechanic is really good and if we get more souls game, I'd like them to do the same. So if you 'choose' to rest your health gets charged and your stim paks get replenished. The cost is that all enemies respawn. So it's possible to go and level up at a bonfire but choose whether to respawn mobs or not which I think is cool.

So I started on second to top difficulty, then bumped it up. There isn't a difficulty related trophy I don't think, and each difficulty has a little graphic that shows you how each level differs. The biggest things are the parry window gets smaller and the incoming damage goes up. First thing is that like the annoyance of Souls and Bloodborne, if the difficulty and multiple deaths are what the game is centred round, then you need to get back in the action quick (see Nioh). I agree with ColonialRaptor ColonialRaptor , the load time is too long and given the issues I'll outline below, it feels unearned as a lot of deaths feel 'cheap' as mentioned. This probably isn't an issue on decent PC's to be fair, maybe the X1X is also better (someone would have to weigh in).

In terms of deaths so far. A few from the environment, not sure why they chose to have an 'attach' button to surfaces, but sometimes it's been a bit hit and miss especially on dropping or jumping across as the animations feel a bit too 'big' for smaller adjustments. The enemies on the higher difficulties just have armour upped and damage upped. Also, when you take a hit and get back up, there's a weird recovery stagger/jank that still leaves you exposed after getting up. It feels like a mini stunlock and if a snapping enemy is around, it can get an extra hit in which feels very cheap after just getting knocked down and back up. General mobs are easy, you don't even need to strafe circle, just hit R1 to slow them, run round them and attack from the back so it's even easier than souls in that respect. It's not so much placement or difficulty of mobs, it's the janky movement and weird collision that is getting my health eaten up at the moment.

If you're killed the enemy takes all your XP since your last level up, and you get the opportunity to win it back if you go kill it right away. The jump between second highest and highest difficulty feels disparate. As though on the final difficulty they just said let's max every disadvantage to the player and just let them get on with it, and not really balance that out properly.

Summary: I think it's taken a lot of systems and improvements from lots of games and used them here, but the implementations are not best in class. They're fairly solid though and enough to make the game enjoyable on most difficulties which will please most people.

In summary - for me - I felt more pure fun and synergy with Control this year so far, and to me it feels more like the abstraction between Alexios/Kassandra being assassins or mercenaries as opposed to feeling like a pure Jedi in something like TFU. That might change with some abilities later on but I doubt it's that type of game. Having said that, it's still a solid entry and the best SW game we've had in ages so thumbe up and I'm gonna try get through it later :) If you're on the fence, I would feel bad trying to convince you that this is a must play title now. If you have stuff to play and you're enjoying it then it's no hardship to wait, if you're really desperate, love SW and have nothing to play I don't think you'll feel shortchanged if you do choose to buy it but just don't expect it to exceed expectations.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

cormack12

Gold Member
Also, for anyone struggling on hardest with the frog in the first area, go above and there's a hole (the smaller of two) for a plunging attack which takes about a third of his health right away. As for fighting him, I found it best to block his snap and then get one quick attack in. Use slow on him as well and do the heavy smash attacks. Delay before dodging the charged attacks, timing is a bit crap, camera is a bit crap, and animation lag is crap but it can be beaten without coming back.

There is a chest in there thats locked with abilities you get later so dont feel you cant come back to clean up.

Verdanth

Also, for anyone struggling on hardest with the frog in the first area, go above and there's a hole (the smaller of two) for a plunging attack which takes about a third of his health right away. As for fighting him, I found it best to block his snap and then get one quick attack in. Use slow on him as well and do the heavy smash attacks. Delay before dodging the charged attacks, timing is a bit crap, camera is a bit crap, and animation lag is crap but it can be beaten without coming back.

There is a chest in there thats locked with abilities you get later so dont feel you cant come back to clean up.

Damn you're right. There was a hole above. I had to scale down to jedi master because he was 1 hitting me.

Parries on Grandmaster are difficult.

Also wait until you get health items from a certain character and search most areas, before going there.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Also, if you're struggling against an enemy and there's a cliff, damage them and jump off. You respawn instantly and the enemys health stays depleted haha. Saves dying to them and reloading.

My early thoughts.

Great Star Wars atmosphere and FX.
Graphics are a mixed bag. Some things look amazing, then you transition to a cut scene with horrific character models.
I would prefer less save points and the ability to fast travel between them. Hoofing it back to the ship is a pain.
Combat is fun, and the Souls formula works well enough here. I find myself wishing for a ranged option and different saber stances to mix things up more.
There is a LOT more platforming than I anticipated. I wish the game leaned more on its Soul's DNA than Uncharted.
All the upgrades are cosmetic in nature, and the skill trees are pretty one note, there is zero build variety here, this is a pretty big negative for me.

It's good, and I'm enjoying myself for the most part. There's not much depth here though, it'll be a one and done.

Reactions: Isa

slade

Main Character has a similar chin like the MC in Control. Both probably went to the same surgeon.

Overall, I like the game. I've explored most of the first planet and am ready to go to the second one now. So far, the game is a solid seven. Floaty combat, and a dodgy camera knock it down a fair bit.

Freeman76

Best looking game this generation. I suspected it as much using a lot of ILM's assets and help. This is the spiritual successor to SW:1313.

Only if you haven't played Red Dead 2 on XB1X, and even then I think Death Stranding also has the edge on Star Wars. The game isnt even 4k so I dont know if you are just trying to wind people up even! I'm guessing you only have base consoles or a mid-range PC, or havent played those games.

Last edited:

renzolama

I'm only a couple of hours in, about to head to my second planet, and it's pretty decent so far. I'm really appreciating the production value of it all - the graphics (although my i7-3770K and RTX 2060 is struggling to keep even 60 fps at 1080P/High which is surprising, and a bummer)

That is a bummer. It's a very effects heavy game that also has long draw distances by default, but yeah if you can't stay on 60 and you don't have gsync or a 144hz monitor then that's not a great gameplay experience. I know for me the game still stutters momentarily when it's obviously streaming in different chunks of the map while moving around but that only happens at predetermined spots and is over within a second or so.

renzolama

I don't think you're supposed to fight the frog at that time, FWIW. The chest you get to after killing him can't be opened yet, so that seems pretty obvious to me. It's just a bragging points thing to do when you first go through the area, and it's not a particularly fun or skillful fight so if you don't want to fuss with it then I wouldn't feel bad about skipping it personally.

HotPocket69

Banned
I too am kinda longing for a ranged attack.

You can eventually throw your lightsaber at enemies though so that will hopefully satisfy and fill the void.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Only if you haven't played Red Dead 2 on XB1X, and even then I think Death Stranding also has the edge on Star Wars. The game isnt even 4k so I dont know if you are just trying to wind people up even! I'm guessing you only have base consoles or a mid-range PC, or havent played those games.

I have played and finished RDR2 on 1X. Death Stranding looks good too. Here's the thing, both of those games look great (especially RDR2), but the asset quality isn't on par with ILM's assets. I'm playing the game on a PC with a 2080Ti on EPIC settings so I see it the way it was meant to be played. RDR2 is incredible and has the most complex implementation of all the graphics features from years past. I wouldn't argue with someone who favors RDR2. My opinion is subjective based on how everything looks as a whole. It is not a technical claim supported by facts.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Quality mode for me. I captured 2.5 hours of FPS footage on X and found that it was mostly stable, believe it or not! Performance mode is awful, though, and S performance was just all over the place.

I hope it gets optimised a bit with a few patches, but until then quality mode it is!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I might have to put this above KOTOR.

RatFnBe.gif

w8S15oN.gif

fWwlGvP.gif

Last edited:

Nydius

Apologies for the blatant copy paste from my own post elsewhere but I figure this may get more eyes here, being the OT and all:

There's a brilliant game here.
Sadly I won't be able to experience it until I have a new PC or next gen console.

At present, all I have is an Xbox One S and the Digital Foundry video pushed me from solid buy to solid rental. I grabbed it from the Redbox last night and let me just say that the video can't fully express just how badly these issues detract from the game. It's one thing to see them, it's quite another to experience them.

To be blunt: Combat on the One S is ruined. That may sound like hyperbole. I wish it were. Having constant frame drops during battles obliterates the timing element for your blocks/parries and dodge/evades. Halfway through the first train sequence the issues made me realize the inconsistent performance wipes away any degree of skill. This became abundantly clear on Bogano, especially the segment where you have four of the little burrowing worm creatures and an Oggdo to fight. The combination of my character, my lightsaber, the creatures, their effects, and Bogano's fog effect turned the fight into a sub-20fps slide show. Trying to time my blocks against the Oggdo's tongue and charge attacks was futile. He'd telegraph his charge, I'd hold to block, the game would chug, and I'd be hit as the game slowly began my block animation.

World traversal and puzzle solving are equally affected but not to the same degree as the combat. I pushed through to Zeffo and spent another 90 minutes playing but these issues kept hindering play time and again.

I can't recommend this to someone who only has an OG Xbox One or Xbox One S.

Salvatron

Im unexpectedly loving this game right now. So far it feels like this is the star wars I've been lookin for since the originals were re-released in theaters for the 20th anniversary celebration. Back when folks were still rockin VHS. So far the story is fun, well acted, fleshed out characters with a real sense of comradery. Greez stands out to me as an interesting character. Kind of feels like the Scotty of the ship. I'm playing on story mode (easiest difficulty) and having a blast pulling off god tier saber moves on every trooper i see. I also think BD-1 is a far better droid design than BB8, much more expressive in it's gestures/posture.

wvnative

Posted yesterday after having a bad experience, but decided to play for a few more hours yesterday.

The more I play the more of a slog it feels like to play. Combat feels kinda...messy? Inconsistent save points, lot's of trollish enemy placement, and everything just...it feels like they threw way too much at the wall here. They need to focus on fewer things in the sequel but with each aspect radically improved. Combat is disappointing, it ain't that versatile, you just have a three hit combo, and only a handful of other moves. Force powers feel too limited AND open you up to get lit.

The story is interesting, so I will press on, but I wanna get it over with. I don't think it's a bad game, it's just...mediocre.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Posted yesterday after having a bad experience, but decided to play for a few more hours yesterday.

The more I play the more of a slog it feels like to play. Combat feels kinda...messy? Inconsistent save points, lot's of trollish enemy placement, and everything just...it feels like they threw way too much at the wall here. They need to focus on fewer things in the sequel but with each aspect radically improved. Combat is disappointing, it ain't that versatile, you just have a three hit combo, and only a handful of other moves. Force powers feel too limited AND open you up to get lit.

The story is interesting, so I will press on, but I wanna get it over with. I don't think it's a bad game, it's just...mediocre.

I mimic this. I want to like it more than I do but it really is just a souls game through and through down to the enemy placement.

The skill tree is very barebones. Feels more like they took things away from the player and put it into the tree instead of the skills feeling like they enhance combat..

wvnative

I mimic this. I want to like it more than I do but it really is just a souls game through and through down to the enemy placement.

The skill tree is very barebones. Feels more like they took things away from the player and put it into the tree instead of the skills feeling like they enhance combat..

I only played Demon's Souls for a few hours, and that felt more weighty and dare I say, fluid?

Cal feels like he's just flailing his lightsaber around, it feels weightless even with lock on. I like games to feel weighty.

RPGCrazied

Anyone have this problem on Pro quality mode? Mostly indoor areas seems to stutter sometimes like frame pacing is off. Seems to be fine in the outdoor areas though.

cormack12

Gold Member
The empire should've recruited these alien frogs, rats and goats. They are much more competent than stormtroopers.

This made me laugh :) because it's true.

3gkkrb.jpg

Anyone have this problem on Pro quality mode? Mostly indoor areas seems to stutter sometimes like frame pacing is off. Seems to be fine in the outdoor areas though.

I'm playing on quality and have had some random stutters indoors against the tomb guardians which has caused incorrect timings on parry and block, but it happens in the whole gam to be honest. Like when fighting the troll thing in the ice caves too. I just don't think it's optimised at all well, or it's trying to do too much.

The more I play the more of a slog it feels like to play. Combat feels kinda...messy? Inconsistent save points, lot's of trollish enemy placement.....

So much this, especially with the burrowing enemies. Just cheap, proper cheap.

If you knock the difficulty down (as I tested) and play through it as a fun romp, the experience changes. It's more relaxed and you have wiggle room to compensate for poor design choices. At the highest difficulty level, there's literally no room at all and you feel like you're not only fighting harder enemies but trying to get the game to play as it should. The inbetween diffifulty should be the sweet spot where you can show off some skills and win on technical proficiency but again, the game doesn't let you. Examples:

Lower the difficulty and the enemies will stand off and come in a nice one after the other pattern. Knock it up and they swarm you, smash your block stamina and then stunlock you
The more force powers I get, the less I feel like a Jedi, and more I feel like a crappier Geralt. Force push is actually less useful than Aard right now. Any force power takes an enormous amount of time to charge before releasing leading to interruptions....
...that the dodge mechanic doesn't really do enough to allow you to get some breathing space from.

Aside from the big manatee thing I probably wasn't meant to fight early on, the enemies are not difficult to defeat, but the sluggish controls and mechanics leave you vulnerable to too many cheap swipes. And playing on a higher level, you only get one or two chances before you're at a long loading screen. Its becoming less fun the further I go on because it's dawning on me I'm not becoming more powerful. I'm getting some more abilities as I go on but none of them are making me feel like a jedi. The kick and heavy attack are woefully out of place, and there is a special place in hell for whoever designed the holomap. I mean wtf is that about. Function over aesthetic all the damn time designers.

My GOTY easily. The combat feels so freaking good. Not sure if I understand how the block meter works. Could someone break it down? I haven't played Sekiro yet, so I'd like to know for when I do.

Cranberrys

I'm loving the game (XBX). It reminds me more of the last TR trilogy rather than Uncharted, with some PoP 2008 elements and has some kind of connections to the Souls games. It's easily my favorite SW game since KotOR I & II (it's not a very difficult achievement of course but still).

Mista

Banned
Started the game half an hour ago. Love the fluidity of the gameplay! Expected the controls to be all over the place but actually they’re very organised and easy to memorise

I’m starting to feel stronger and maybe a bit more like Jedi. As I’m progressing in the game i feel like I’m seeing more of the Jedi hunting storm troopers and while they’re not completely difficult to defeat they can be a challenge when they have some other melee fighter support.

I’m liking lots about the game and I agree with most of the sentiments both positive and negative here. I’m playing on Jedi knight because I just can’t be bothered dying all the time and I’m not good enough to be able to complete the game at Jedi master.

I feel myself really wanting to get back into the action this morning and I’ll play all day tomorrow and then it’s back to work on Monday, i think the last game I played at new release was Spider-Man and I absolutely didn’t want to stop playing that at the end of the day where as I think after 6 or 8 hours today I’ll be ready to finish for the day.

Then it’s one day a week until I finish and then I’ve been recommended to give control a try so I’ll be picking that up and I hope I’ll enjoy that as I’ve been spending too much time without days off lately and games are what I do on my days off.

Still I wouldn’t know whether to say this is a goty contender. Maybe it is for me since it’s the first game released this year that I’ve played. It’s good, but it definitely could have used a lot more cleaning up and I’m discovering that polish is one of the things that I most enjoy about a gaming experience. I don’t know why but as games become more and more advanced jank, animation problems, bugs and the like really drop my level of enjoyment down by a large margin. These things should be easy to just wipe to the wayside but apparently for me they’re not. For example the weird Spider-Man controls when wall running and trying to get consistent the way he moves on various surfaces was my lowest point from that game, which is saying something because it’s pretty damn good overall.

I also find it interesting the way I just accept the graphics of the game as though yeah they’re pretty good but nothing special whereas in truth they are pretty damn impressive It doesn’t quite measure up to some of the best looking games. I think I’m definitely ready for the next gen I just hope devs can keep up with releases because it already feels to me like the great games are becoming less and less common and further and further in between. Of course 2020 is looking to be jam fkn packed so its probably just the end of gen blues.

Kagero

Zero interest in the game because I’m not a Star Wars fan. Kinda wished this was a futuristic dark souls. It’s looks like great fun though.

Freeman76

Up to 3rd planet now, its a 6 or 7 so far, quite a frustrating game in many ways. It takes some good inspiration from other series but doesnt elevate any of them. It nails the Star Wars vibe well enough that I will carry on with it, but I find it a choreal at times.

So its definitely not a 9 gm what IGN came up with..these guys all over the place with the recent DS review 😕 and all.

prag16

Banned
To stop people sharing accounts. You can't expect them to just let everyone share accounts or they would lose a shit tonne of money.
Fine, but the claim from them that there's absolutely no manual override is total bs. If somebody is a repeat offender with regard to this lockout that's one thing, but for a situation like this it's dumb to have zero tolerance, especially when changing hardware or drivers can trigger this too according to some people on EA forums who had it happen to them. And all my other games work, only this one is blocked, which is even more bizarre.

Nevertheless, getting the kids to bed in an hour and will try to play after that. If I'm still locked out at that point (44 hours since EA last allowed me to play the game that I paid for) I'm going to go apeshit.

Just another lesson, kids. When you go digital via any of these launchers, you absolutely don't own your games.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just hit a game breaking progression bug. 😑😑😑

Whelp going to see if Microsoft will give me a refund.

Oh man, I want this game sooooo bad. Black friday, here we goooooo...

Btw, between this and the Mandalorian, it seems theres at least a flicker of what used to interest me in star wars left in the old franchise.

I'll take what I can get when it comes to good star wars shit. It's just so few and far between anymore.

thequestion

After work, I want to either get this or death stranding. Which game should I get? I like Kojima’s storytelling -gameplay from the past and I like soulsborne games and I like Star Wars. This thread is making me conflicted about this game - reactions seem to be mixed.... but the same can be said about death stranding... regardless, I do plan on buying one of these games. I’ll be playing on ps4. So, Gaf... which one?

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
My bullshit 24 hour lock wore off (F U EA again) and I've been able to play. Seems like I'm having a bit less of the stuttering I was seeing before after switching from Fullscreen to Borderless Window, then turning off the game's vsync and letting Windows' automatic vsync take over (with no vsync I get awful tearing).

I just finished the first planet (post-train tutorial level). Screw those giant frog things. I had one hard crash to desktop for no reason, and twice experienced infinite load screens after deaths (to make sure, on the second one I walked away for a good 10 minutes and it was still loading... not totally frozen since the loading icon animation was still spinning). Liking the game a lot, but hopefully there's a patch soon..

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My GOTY easily. The combat feels so freaking good. Not sure if I understand how the block meter works. Could someone break it down? I haven't played Sekiro yet, so I'd like to know for when I do.
It's a fatigue meter basically. If you block it drains. Eventually it hits zero and your block is broken. Let go of block and back away from enemies and your meter rapidly recharges and allows you to block again.

Best feature is enemies have the same meter. If they block multiple strikes from you, you will eventually break their block and get an opening for a critical hit or finishing move. If you back away from them their meter will recharge.

prag16

Banned
I didn't watch a ton of MadTV back in the day, but I do remember one funny sketch. Bewitched parody where Sam uses "bitchcraft" (transforms into angry black woman, the same actress as Cere). I'd imagine that sketch would never fly in 2019 because racist or something (and sexist too for bonus points).

Top Bottom