• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

I really like the first few minutes of the ROTS duel. I know someone is just going to reply with that gif, but watching Anakin convincingly manhandle Obi-Wan is pretty terrifying. I don't think wanting a duel with skilled force users that is also well choreographed and acted a bad thing. That's what the PT tried to accomplish, it just didn't do a very good job of it. The duels in the SWTOR trailers come to mind as a better example.

That being said, I don't think this is the movie for a duel like that.

Remember that photo of Adam Driver in an x-wing suit? Have we ever got any confirmation of that scene or was that photo some sort of trick to throw off the spoiler sites that Adam Driver wasn't the villan?

Remember that photo of Adam Driver in an x-wing suit? Have we ever got any confirmation of that scene or was that photo some sort of trick to throw off the spoiler sites that Adam Driver wasn't the villan?
There are a lot of people in those suits based on the trailer, I'm sure it was just some random guy.

I really like the first few minutes of the ROTS duel. I know someone is just going to reply with that gif, but watching Anakin convincingly manhandle Obi-Wan is pretty terrifying. I don't think wanting a duel with skilled force users that is also well choreographed and acted a bad thing. That's what the PT tried to accomplish, it just didn't do a very good job of it. The duels in the SWTOR trailers come to mind as a better example.

That being said, I don't think this is the movie for a duel like that.

I've personally always enjoyed the banter between Palpatine and Yoda.

Sheev looks and sounds fucking jubilant.

Not expecting much chatter out of Ren here, but maybe in the sequels.

Waldini

So ... what? The cast list "confirms" that Han doesn't appear again once he meets Kylo Ren. He could've shot some different scenes earlier that appear later in the movie, right? If that makes sense. The only one reporting Han will die is MSW. Everything is, pretty much, still based on rumors. But, seeing as Ford wanted the character to die several times know it only makes sense.

I always had the feeling Han will die in this movie though. Don't know why ... Would love to see him return. But you just need that death to start "hating" the new guy.

Tookay

So ... what? The cast list "confirms" that Han doesn't appear again once he meets Kylo Ren. He could've shot some different scenes earlier that appear later in the movie, right? If that makes sense. The only one reporting Han will die is MSW. Everything is, pretty much, still based on rumors. But, seeing as Ford wanted the character to die several times know it only makes sense.

I always had the feeling Han will die in this movie though. Don't know why ... Would love to see him return. But you just need that death to start "hating" the new guy.

MSW's information comes from call sheets and they were arranged in the film's chronological order. They usually list the scene number and characters that appear in them. His name doesn't appear in any chronological scenes past the point where he confronts Kylo. The call sheet for that confrontation mentions that "Kylo ends the conversation forever."

Ergo, he's probably dead.

I look through that trailer thread and feel bad for people who are hoping to see Luke throughout this movie and won't read spoilers to find out that he's only at the very end. I feel like they'll spend the entire movie anticipating Luke's arrival. I just can't imagine that kind of movie experience.

Cheebo

Banned
I look through that trailer thread and feel bad for people who are hoping to see Luke throughout this movie and won't read spoilers to find out that he's only at the very end. I feel like they'll spend the entire movie anticipating Luke's arrival. I just can't imagine that kind of movie experience.
If I didn't read spoilers I think I would have been crushed and taken aback. I am so glad I did.

People thinking worst case it is similar to the screen time of The Vision in Ultron is sad. They think he will have a big action scene.

And people think I'm crazy for looking at spoilers. It only made me more hype about the movie its gonna be, instead of thinking about a movie it never was.

Tookay

Yeah, the people waiting for a "badass third act Luke entrance" are going to be disappointed.

I probably would have been one of those people, had I not known the spoilers, but now I'm just going to trust that the powers-that-be have a better idea for his arc than I do.

prag16

Banned

Yeah. If I hadn't known about Luke and Han's roles in this film beforehand, I probably wouldn't have been able to enjoy the film as much. I mean, I don't know that for sure, but Luke in particular, the level of blue balls would have been insane.

Guy.brush

So is there any indication how Kylo (if he is the son of Han and Leia) came to be an evil asshole villain?

Like he is the son of the embodiment of the light side of the Force/rebel princess and a charismatic scoundrel turned rebel general in the OT.
Are there any spoilers that they will explain this?
Like did Leia and Han hide and abandon their child(ren) on remote planets in order to protect them from something and one turned out nice, the other didn't?
Did Han and Leia not have time for 20years to explain to him what actually happened with Vader? Quite a stretch tbh.
IF Kylo is Han's son this could retroactively destroy his character and sacrifices in the OT, as well as Leia's.

They defeat the Emperor under immense sacrifices and then their lovechild becomes an even bigger threat to the galaxy? Feels like this part of TFA could harm the OT's love story and characters of Leia and Han big time.

That and Han's death is why I don't think TFA is going to set any records. There is going to be some salty people.

I don't think Han's death is going to negatively impact Star Wars at all. If anything, it'll be a draw. Your last chance to go on an adventure with Han Solo.

It's not like the act is going to happen without any context. If the story is told correctly, his death will take on meaning, and making Star Wars mean something is going to be seen as a positive. People will go back for it.

I don't think Han's death is going to negatively impact Star Wars at all. If anything, it'll be a draw. Your last chance to go on an adventure with Han Solo.

It's not like the act is going to happen without any context. If the story is told correctly, his death will take on meaning, and making Star Wars mean something is going to be seen as a positive. People will go back for it.

Maybe I'm repeating Lucas propaganda but I thought ESB made the least amount of money because of the darkness of Luke finding out his father is the worst man in the galaxy, Han getting frozen and captured, and Luke losing his hand.

inm8num2

I hope Indy 5 gets made and they kill off Indiana Jones, too.

Harrison Ford is coming for all your beloved characters he played. Han, Indy, maybe Deckard...

Hell, let's get Bob Falfa in the next Fast & Furious movie and have him go out in a blaze of glory.

Maybe I'm repeating Lucas propaganda but I thought ESB made the least amount of money because of the darkness of Luke finding out his father is the worst man in the galaxy, Han getting frozen and captured, and Luke losing his hand.

Times have changed. For a lot of people, that movie is more "Star Wars" than Star Wars is. A modern film that evokes those feelings, and potentially even amplifies them (or, best-case-scenario, IMPROVES on them) is going to be recieved much more warmly and openly than the curveball that Empire was at the time. A Star Wars movie that feels like Empire isn't going to surprise or turn off audiences in 2015 the way Empire itself surprised audiences in 1980

Why was there a decision to not have Luke in this? After the OT, its all we were wondering about since 1985. Whats next for Luke, now 30 years later, and we get nothing. I think its a pretty big missed opportunity, and I don't understand how anyone sitting in the boardroom discussing ideas for episode 7 said yeah lets not have Luke in this. At all.

inm8num2

Why was there a decision to not have Luke in this? After the OT, its all we were wondering about since 1985. What next for look, now 30 years later, and we get nothing. I think its a pretty big missed opportunity, and I don't understand how anyone sitting in the boardroom discussing ideas for episode 7 said yeah lets not have Luke in this. At all.

"Lawrence, you know how SW nuts say Lucas ruined their childhood with the prequels?"
"Yes, J.J."
"Let's ruin their adulthood."

Ogimachi

Han's death might end up being more meaningful than it was going to be in the original outline, but I'm not sure how the response is going to be. Not that it would matter anyway, they're shooting Ep. VIII already, feedback won't change much.

Why was there a decision to not have Luke in this? After the OT, its all we were wondering about since 1985. What next for look, now 30 years later, and we get nothing. I think its a pretty big missed opportunity, and I don't understand how anyone sitting in the boardroom discussing ideas for episode 7 said yeah lets not have Luke in this. At all.
The series has always struggled with the balance between character depth and development versus plot and action. I guess they just decided to give the two leads -and Han because it's his last adventure- enough screen time, and having too many scenes with everyone would make the film too long. (Lawrence Kasdan said they didn't want it to be long IIRC)
I'm not defending the decision, but it wasn't a dumb or pointless one. Mark Hamill is also much younger than Harrison Ford (and actually likes the character and the franchise), Disney can count on him for much longer.

Because:

1. This trilogy is not about Luke and the rest of the original cast.
2. This film is a send off to Han/Harrison Ford
3. Luke will get his chance to shine as this trilogy's Yoda/Obi Wan in Episode 8, most likely.

I don't even think we'll see Luke use a lightsaber unless it's too sacrifice himself like Obi Wan and become a force ghost.

Some hearts are gonna be broken, methinks.

Between Solo kicking the bucket and Luke showing up for a total of 20 seconds, folks are gonna be raging

Opening night reactions to Luke showing up will be interesting. I can see the cheers, but also hear the people going "that's it?" when the credits roll after revealing Luke. Will be interesting to see. I'll be seeing it twice on opening night. First showing will be in real IMAX 3d and the 2nd showing will be in 2d. Will be interesting to see if the different theaters have the same reaction. The 2nd theater is a more fancy expensive Alamo Draft House like movie theater.

inm8num2

I'm guessing the majority of people will be more hyped to see Luke in the next movie than disappointed he's not really in TFA. If people care about Rey, Finn, and Kylo, and they're invested in what's happening during the film, Luke's absence won't be an active concern on their minds.

prag16

Banned

You may be giving the general movie goer a little too much credit. But I guess time will tell.

I'm guessing the majority of people will be more hyped to see Luke in the next movie than disappointed he's not really in TFA. If people care about Rey, Finn, and Kylo, and they're invested in what's happening during the film, Luke's absence won't be an active concern on their minds.

This, basically.

Sorcerer

Why was there a decision to not have Luke in this? After the OT, its all we were wondering about since 1985. Whats next for Luke, now 30 years later, and we get nothing. I think its a pretty big missed opportunity, and I don't understand how anyone sitting in the boardroom discussing ideas for episode 7 said yeah lets not have Luke in this. At all.

There really is no room for Luke in this movie, too much going on. I think his lack of appearance makes sense. Plus I thinks its great marketing not to show him in the trailers. Just makes people that much more curios.

Threepio has not been in any of the trailers either if I recall correctly, I wonder if he will have a big reveal as well!!! jk

At all? But, Luke is in the movie. Hell, he's in the trailer. You might not see his face and he doesn't maintain a physical presence throughout the film, but he is a major force driving the plot and the payoff of the whole movie. I just don't get this line of thinking. I mean, if you really like Luke, wouldn't it be a little more awesome to not just have him be another character, but the most important character?

You say people are wondering what happened to Luke, like it's a big question on everyone's mind. Yeah, it is a big question. It is the THE question. That's why they made a whole movie about it. That isn't missing an opportunity, that is seizing it and capitalizing on it.

Top Bottom