• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Mafia |OT| A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

Well unlike you pleebs I will not be changing my avatar. Im the Organic Energy Association Representative, no matter what galaxy I'm in.

HMPH.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
I love the enthusiasm!

Okay first off, I'm sure that vote was random. I'm not implying any foul play here. I don't want to get too meta, but I know that Palmer is a Rebel asset based on the last game. He might be a Hut, but we have no proof. He was an very active townie last game. I feel if we blindly eliminate someone today it should be an unknown player. Not someone who could be beneficial if Rebel aligned.

I know Palmer. I won't vote for him without a good reason, random or no. That might seem unfair, but Rebel interests come first. I'm not saying all Game 1 Vets are safe either. I just won't vote for Palmer.
I do have a good reason...

One I will disclose later.

Well unlike you pleebs I will not be changing my avatar. Im the Organic Energy Association Representative, no matter what galaxy I'm in.

HMPH.

Well I'm repping Max and Chloe with Life is Strange episode 3 coming out on Tuesday.

But on a more on point note, we are going to have to decide whether to Detain or not. But whatever we decide we need to take our time since we have 4 days!

I know Palmer. I won't vote for him without a good reason, random or no. That might seem unfair, but Rebel interests come first. I'm not saying all Game 1 Vets are safe either. I just won't vote for Palmer.

490938f7d922321fa975e80f86de0aff.jpg

But on a more on point note, we are going to have to decide whether to Detain or not. But whatever we decide we need to take our time since we have 4 days!

Yup, at the moment I'm leaning toward Detaining. It sucks for the person who ends up Barry'd on day 1 but in the last game we learned absolutely nothing from no lynching and then we were on the back foot in Day two since we hadn't engaged in any real discussion on the first day.

Makai

Yup, at the moment I'm leaning toward Detaining. It sucks for the person who ends up Barry'd on day 1 but in the last game we learned absolutely nothing from no lynching and then we were on the back foot in Day two since we hadn't engaged in any real discussion on the first day.
Wait, how does killing off rebels help us?

Swamped

Banned
I do have a good reason...

One I will disclose later.

Is there a reason you can only disclose it later?
I'm not opposed to detaining on the first day for the sake of gathering more information, but I'm just nervous we'll accidentally detain someone with an important role...

Terrabyte20xx

Voting is the only power most of us have. If we don't use it, it plays in the hut's favor. Yes, we are statistically likely to hit rebel, we'd have to be the best group ever in order to not to on day one. But voting patterns are the only data that doesn't have potential to lie, and the more data we have, the easier to hit a real scum.

Terrabyte20xx

Is there a reason you can only disclose it later?
I'm not opposed to detaining on the first day for the sake of gathering more information, but I'm just nervous we'll accidentally detain someone with an important role...
Yes, but I can not say why, as that is closely tied to the reason.

Trust me, it should make sense when it comes out.

I'll probably wait until Monday and then randomly choose someone that hasn't posted yet to lynch.

HMPH.

And now I recognize where your avatar is from. I should really finish that game one of these days.

It helps to narrow the playing field down and even accusing to lynch someone can get new information through their response.

It doesn't, the odds are probably something like 15% we get lucky and hit the hutts, 15% we get unlucky and take out a power role and 70% we hit a generic rebel or minor role.

The big difference is that we have an entire days worth of discussion and voting patterns that we can look at on day 2 after we inevitably lose a rebel bro after the first night. If we do nothing we'll see who we lost on night 1 and still be at square one with no real information to analyse.

Swamped

Banned
Triple post: I will say that my reason will come out day one, so don't worry about that.

Hmm. I wonder why you decided to reveal that you have some kind of 'special role' even though you can't give a reason for your choice until later in the day? Although it sounds like you have a good reason to to vote for Palmer_v1, so it makes me want to vote for them too. I am really curious to hear his/her defense...

Terrabyte20xx

Hmm. I wonder why you decided to reveal that you have some kind of 'special role' even though you can't give a reason for your choice until later in the day? Although it sounds like you have a good reason to to vote for Palmer_v1, so it makes me want to vote for them too. I am really curious to hear his/her defense...
Now I def. Wouldn't go that far...

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Now I def. Wouldn't go that far...

I agree it doesn't make sense that you would get your info from a role, since roles don't usually give the good guys info before the first night, but I also don't see how you could have any reason to pick Palmer. Unless you are worried he would make too good of a hutt and want to take precatuions.

I'm inclined to believe Terrabyte since it would be amazingly suicidal if caught in a lie but it is still extremely early.I also would like Palmer (and the rest of the people who haven't posted since the beginning of the game) to respond of course before talking any action.

Terrabyte20xx

That is fair, but I am confident in my decisions, so I would advise anyone who might share the sentiment to hold on a little longer before voting me as well, the last thing we would want is a bandwagon for the huts to jump on to end the day early.

That is fair, but I am confident in my decisions, so I would advise anyone who might share the sentiment to hold on a little longer before voting me as well, the last thing we would want is a bandwagon for the huts to jump on to end the day early.

Well of course you would say that about your decisions.

Terrabyte20xx

You say that as if that's suspicious. Of course I believe in my own decisions. As far as any of us are concerned, we are the only true teammates. I can only trust myself for now as I am the only one I know for a fact is on my side. The same is said for you, you are the only one you know for a fact is on your side.

I don't mind the suspicion, but don't try making any basic evident behavior out like it's a big deal when it really isn't.

Palmer_v1

I have no idea whats going on with TB. My best guess is he's some type of neutral with an alternate win condition that reauires my death. Sorry i cant be more help.

We can always lynch him and see what is happening for sure. Im not in favor of a day 1 lynch, but him or me are the only logical choices at this point.

Terrabyte20xx

I have no idea whats going on with TB. My best guess is he's some type of neutral with an alternate win condition that reauires my death. Sorry i cant be more help.

We can always lynch him and see what is happening for sure. Im not in favor of a day 1 lynch, but him or me are the only logical choices at this point.
Let me ask you this, what do you have to say about my voting you?

You say that as if that's suspicious. Of course I believe in my own decisions. As far as any of us are concerned, we are the only true teammates. I can only trust myself for now as I am the only one I know for a fact is on my side. The same is said for you, you are the only one you know for a fact is on your side.

I don't mind the suspicion, but don't try making any basic evident behavior out like it's a big deal when it really isn't.

But the first part of your previous post is in reference to why we should take your word and detain Palmer for reasons you won't yet explain.

As has been discussed in this thread and the non-game thread, detaining on the first day is the only logical choice.

Let me ask you this, what do you have to say about my voting you?

He said what he had to say about your vote in his first paragraph.

I'm all for detaining day 1.

If we delay detaining at the start of the game for the first night phase, then essentially one person will not get to play.

These hutts are not to be trifled with, and if we don't at least take our shots now they will win.

So presumably terrabyte has some kind of ability that triggers when he decides to change his vote then?

He said it would be revealed during Day 1 and, in my eyes, that shouldn't involve anyone else having to take any action first. Like right now he is putting the onus on Palmer to do something before he'll talk which doesn't fly with me.

It seems like an absolutely insane plan to make something like that up on day one as it's basically asking to be made a target unless he can prove himself.

So presumably terrabyte has some kind of ability that triggers when he decides to change his vote then?

He said it would be revealed during Day 1 and, in my eyes, that shouldn't involve anyone else having to take any action first. Like right now he is putting the onus on Palmer to do something before he'll talk which doesn't fly with me.

It seems like an absolutely insane plan to make something like that up on day one as it's basically asking to be made a target unless he can prove himself.

Could it be something that triggers if we detain Terrabyte?

Could it be something that triggers if we detain Terrabyte?

I dunno, I'd be very surprised if it was a win condition for him. It's generally a pretty disliked role, and would be shitty to go to all the effort of setting a game up for it to end that way.
If it's not a win condition then he would be sacrificing himself for something else which seems weird to do on day one.

Palmer_v1

Then let me rephrase that.

Tell me why I should revoke my vote.

You either have a role that requires my death, in which case you should angle to get me killed. The way youre doing it seems poor. Better play would have been wait for day 2 and claim youre a cop and im mafia. The smart thing for town at that point is to lynch me, to verify you. This choice implies youre either lying or a poor player.

What i believe, based on your further posting, is that you are simply making a claim to stir shit up and see what else gets claimed.

Terrabyte20xx

You still didn't tell me why I should revoke the vote.

Reveal your reason for voting Palmer.

Here is the truth:

As LoC recognized, my vote was in fact random. In mafia, the very first moments of the game are usually filled of 'now what' type of posts due to a lack of direction. By immediately voting someone, I have accomplished in moving the game along, and have gotten people to start thinking and searching, even if I'm the one with the most suspicion.

But that all would happen regardless of whether or not I voted Palmer, or someone else. No, I chose Palmer specifically because he was a veteran. I followed the last game, so I understood that he knows how to defend himself against suspicion. My hope was that he would make a quick but easily readable defense, and we would all have someone who we would almost certainly be able to trust, an asset that is invaluable to the rebels. I couldn't state this as my goal until he had the chance to defend himself, otherwise it might have gone down differently.

But then something strange happened. Instead of saying 'I'm not scum, this is why', he decided to make me look as suspicious as possible, using a third party role as the auspicious proposal, rather than the far more contraversial scum label.

Now I am not going to stand here and tell you he is for sure a Hut, that would just be outrageous this early in the day. But his defense has not adequately convinced me at all that he isn't. As such, until someone else is more suspicious than him, or if he provides a better defence, my vote will stay.

Palmer_v1

You still didn't tell me why I should revoke the vote.

Here is the truth:

As LoC recognized, my vote was in fact random. In mafia, the very first moments of the game are usually filled of 'now what' type of posts due to a lack of direction. By immediately voting someone, I have accomplished in moving the game along, and have gotten people to start thinking and searching, even if I'm the one with the most suspicion.

But that all would happen regardless of whether or not I voted Palmer, or someone else. No, I chose Palmer specifically because he was a veteran. I followed the last game, so I understood that he knows how to defend himself against suspicion. My hope was that he would make a quick but easily readable defense, and we would all have someone who we would almost certainly be able to trust, an asset that is invaluable to the rebels. I couldn't state this as my goal until he had the chance to defend himself, otherwise it might have gone down differently.

But then something strange happened. Instead of saying 'I'm not scum, this is why', he decided to make me look as suspicious as possible, using a third party role as the auspicious proposal, rather than the far more contraversial scum label.

Now I am not going to stand here and tell you he is for sure a Hut, that would just be outrageous this early in the day. But his defense has not adequately convinced me at all that he isn't. As such, until someone else is more suspicious than him, or if he provides a better defence, my vote will stay.

Honestly, i didnt put a lot of time into my defense because intrusted people not to go nuts un me based un unsubstantiated shit and im posting from anparty in between rounds of telestrations and im pretty drunk.

raindoc

What a beautiful sunday morning. Two suns, the broadest beach in the galaxy and a lynchmob.

I honestly don't get the random lynch on Day 1. People say it's to look at voting patterns, but I fail to see how that would help, considering most of the players will have to vote randomly and the Hutts would have to be really stupid to vote in a way that singles them out.
And since the probability is higher to accidentally lynch a rebel I'm going to vote "No Detain" unless someone delivers a really good argument.

I've been reading through some if this and Terrabyte is being mighty suspicious right now. He may or may not have a reason to be doing this but if we did decide to go with him it could be interesting to see. Im not fully convinced with him though.

And since the probability is higher to accidentally lynch a rebel I'm going to vote "No Detain" unless someone delivers a really good argument.

OK, so imagine we all vote no detain now and wake up tomorrow morning next to a festering rebel corpse how would you proceed? We had no discussion/vote so we have no more information to go on then than now. Well, since we don't know anything more concrete it's still a huge risk to detain at random so lets vote no detain until day 3? maybe a cop will reveal themselves? Day 3: Hmmm another corpse no no solid info better just vote no detain. Rinse. Repeat.

Until we start discussions and voting we won't make progress, we're basically waiting for someone to role-claim and give us solid info which is a bad move this early. Honestly in the last game I was against the random day 1 lynch. I was wrong.

My hope was that he would make a quick but easily readable defense, and we would all have someone who we would almost certainly be able to trust, an asset that is invaluable to the rebels.

So out of interest, what would be a quick easily readable defense that wouldn't be an obvious role-claim?

raindoc

OK, so imagine we all vote no detain now and wake up tomorrow morning next to a festering rebel corpse how would you proceed? We had no discussion/vote so we have no more information to go on then than now. Well, since we don't know anything more concrete it's still a huge risk to detain at random so lets vote no detain until day 3? maybe a cop will reveal themselves? Day 3: Hmmm another corpse no no solid info better just vote no detain. Rinse. Repeat.

Until we start discussions and voting we won't make progress, we're basically waiting for someone to role-claim and give us solid info which is a bad move this early. Honestly in the last game I was against the random day 1 lynch. I was wrong.

On Day 2 the voting will be much less random, because everyone already used their abilities. Completely different situation than Day 1.

Zatoth

Good morning!

Looks like things are already becoming interesting during day 1 this time.

I am for lynching day 1. Not using our "power" to lynch will help the empire more than us. That is something I learned in the last game.

We will probably be not smarter tomorrow by doing nothing.

Zatoth

On Day 2 the voting will be much less random, because everyone already used their abilities. Completely different situation than Day 1.

I don't think so. On Day 2 some power users will have learned something, right. But they will most likely keep it to themselves during the first few days.

Remember most of us don't have abilities and out of those that do some will be single use and therefore not wasted on night 1, some might be passive, some targetted ones will miss or prove useless on that night. It's doubtful that even those with abilities will be much better off on day 2 and if they are they can't exactly be overly forceful when trying to give the information as it will make them a mobster target.

< Does this gear make me look fat?

*selfie!*

I think it does.

But it's important to have a memento of our time together!

This desert heat is making you all smell like henchmen.

Because we're all pulling rank!

HAAHAHAHHHAHHHAA

We should salvage the ship for supplies, henchmen.

Hi everybody! I'm so excited that we've finally begun! The hotel I'm currently staying in doesn't have wifi, so my posting will be a little erratic at first, but I think I'll be staying in a different one before the end of the first day phase, so hopefully it won't be an issue (I'm in Japan right now though, so my hours will be a little strange for a week or so).

In any case, on with the game. I'm all for detaining if we think it will help ascertain useful information. I'm not so sure we should jump on Terrabyte though. I'm not going to vouch for their strategy, because personally it doesn't sound very reliable, but they seem (at this point, at least) to have rebel interests at heart. The situation slightly reminds me of egruntz in the last game, who didn't end up being a mafioso when they were lynched. Of course, there's no reason to vote for Palmer yet either.

MattyG

Banned
< Does this gear make me look fat?

*selfie!*

I think it does.

But it's important to have a memento of our time together!

This desert heat is making you all smell like henchmen.

Because we're all pulling rank!

HAAHAHAHHHAHHHAA

We should salvage the ship for supplies, henchmen.
Remember, no edits!

Top Bottom