• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

|OT| Star Wars |OT2| Sorry About The Mess...

ManaByte

Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
mcucosmic.com

Movies
December 18, 2019 - The Rise of Skywalker
December 16, 2022 - Untitled Star Wars Movie
December 20, 2024 - Untitled Star Wars Movie
December 18, 2026 - Untitled Star Wars Movie

Disney+
The Mandalorian Season 1 - Nov 12, 2019 - Dec 27, 2019
Clone Wars Season 7 - February 2020
The Mandalorian Season 2 - TBA (Now Filming)
Obi-Wan - TBA (Films July 2020)
Cassian - TBA

Spoiler Policy
1. Spoiler tag anything that's from an unreleased movie and not in officially released marketing material.
2. If it's in a trailer, TV spot, or on an official poster; it's not a spoiler.

ManaByte

Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
mcucosmic.com

“On this one, I let myself be, at least in the way I was approaching the thing, freer,” he said. “In Episode 7, I was adhering to a kind of approach that felt right for Star Wars in my head. It was about finding a visual language, like shooting on locations and doing practical things as much as possible. And we continue that in Episode 9, but I also found myself doing things that I’m not sure I would have been as daring to do on Episode 7.”
Rian helped remind me that that’s why we’re on these movies – not to just do something that you’ve seen before,” Abrams said. “I won’t say that I felt constrained or limited on 7, but I found myself wanting to do something that felt more consistent with the original trilogy than not. And on 9, I found myself feeling like I’m just gonna go for it a bit more.”

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
On a happier note, I enjoyed reading these when I was younger:

The short-story format worked really well since the focus was on small-time characters. The titles were embossed and shiny which added the cool factor for a kid like me.

I was also playing Decipher's Star Wars CCG which added its own flavor to the SW universe by highlighting all these lesser-known aspects of the universe. Some favorites (which are likely now considered non-canon):

- the fate of the Tonnika Sisters
- the "soup drinker" Dannik Jerriko
- the backstory of bounty hunters like Dengar and 4-LOM
- what happened to Jabba's twilek advisor

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009

Really fun series. Some of the best music and visuals in all of sci-fi. Loveable characters and memorable action. Too bad they never made any movies set after Jedi, but Mandalorian is pretty good so far so I can't complain.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Dec 5, 2017
I'm all about the expanded universe TBH. Read tons of books and comics when I was younger.

I'm going back to read what I missed now (slowly). For the new cannon I just watch the films which is fine too. I did read the new Darth Vader comic series from a couple years ago that was good too.

ManaByte

Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
mcucosmic.com
I'm all about the expanded universe TBH. Read tons of books and comics when I was younger.

I'm going back to read what I missed now (slowly). For the new cannon I just watch the films which is fine too. I did read the new Darth Vader comic series from a couple years ago that was good too.
The Vader comic is great. The regular Star Wars comic WAS boring because it was stuck between ANH and ESB for so long, but now they're moving to ESB > ROTJ. The Han Solo mini was great too. George loved it so much he bought all of the original art.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
I was thinking about this today...

How it's the "B-Sides" of Star Wars since Disney purchase that has been great. Vader Comics, Rebels, Rouge One, Fallen Order. The big release stuff (ST, Battlefronts) have been pooh.

So weird

James Holden

Nov 22, 2018
The Rocinante
I really like most of the newer films (Solo kind of sucks, but it was predestined to kind of suck). But I’m happy to see that people are bringing up the comics and whatnot as legitimately good, because hell yeah. The Vader stuff especially has just been :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:.

Still need to play Fallen Order. And fuck, I wish the new canon would do Shadows of the Empire.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018

really nice full analysis of the Empire Strikes Back. he discusses the unusual lighting they use throughout the movie and the heavy use of the color orange for emotional emphasis. for instance, in the Hoth Rebel Base, they are in a dark cave, contrasting to the bright snowy white outside. the set is darkly lit, without using much main lights, all the actors are lit from below or to the side with fill lights. the movie uses a lot of realistic lighting, outside of the choice to shoot our characters lit from below.

this same lighting is used again later on, when our heroes are captured, but rather than standard lighting, the lighting is orange. the color orange is used to light our characters from underneath. this is strong visual language indicating danger.

upon their initial arrival to Cloud City, when they are flying through the Bespin clouds, the sky is filled with the orange of a sunset, itself signifier some sort of danger. notice the Bespin transports are also orange. notice the Falcon, tiny in the frame, heading towards that ominous black cloud.

colors are used in other ways as well. in this video he talks all about it, the high contrast and strong shadows used throughout, how scenes are framed, how color is sparingly used, etc. it's an interesting visual survey of techniques used and how they influence the storytelling. there is a lot of great filmmaking that went into Empire. it uses a lot of striking visuals, IMO it is a very comic book, very pulp aesthetic that is a perfect match for the series.

Last edited: