• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, sticking with the story as is, why did Leia not accompany Han in getting her son back? I never understood that.

She's the General of the Resistance, and did it look like she was in much shape to join the battle? Her role was command/advisory. Her collapsing upon his death was emotionally satisfying enough for me and also part of the drama is that when Han and Leia embrace before they take off, that's the last time they ever see each other but at least they came to amends first.

My personal IX fear basically amounts to Trevorrow and Connolly bulldozing over whatever character work Rian begins in TLJ in favor of something more conventional (like a Ben redemption, for example).

Don't get me wrong, I'll admit that it's still generally baseless speculation on my part; Trevorrow at least seems to "get it" in interviews, and I'd imagine that there's enough oversight within Lucasfilm to prevent a really stupid asspull like the above.

Mistle

i mean this vid is kind of funny but it's so misleading. so many cuts before he clarifies his statements or even just finishes his sentence. seems to be a compilation of vids from that crappy jar jar abrams account. mark has always just seemed a bit bitter about his small role in TFA. after hearing his ideas about what he would have preferred, i'd say we're lucky he's not writing the thing.

Looks like Rian Johnson isnt involved with the script of IX. Its the jurassic world writing team: https://mobile.twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/856543771353272321
I hope ep 9 blows me away but honestly i doubt i'm going to be feeling hype up to it's release. JW memories loom large.

Kart94

Banned
Rian Johnson is a much better film maker than JJ Abrams, so this is in good hands. Hopefully this won't be a rehash of Empire Strikes and they give Rey some actual flaws.

Surfinn

Rian Johnson is a much better film maker than JJ Abrams, so this is in good hands. Hopefully this won't be a rehash of Empire Strikes and they give Rey some actual flaws.
She had flaws. She literally ran away from her destiny out of fear and got captured because of it. Got bailed out by Finn and Han.

.............................anyway I don't want to wait so many more months for another trailer.

But at the same time I don't know that I would mind NOT seeing any more.

JB1981

She had flaws. She literally ran away from her destiny out of fear and got captured because of it. Got bailed out by Finn and Han.

Running away from a nightmarish vision that would have completely scared the shit out of any average person is a flaw? Haha

Kart94

Banned
Running away from a nightmarish vision that would have completely scared the shit out of any average person is a flaw? Haha

Apperently. After that though, that inconvenient flaw doesn't show up after she gets captured.

J..J Abrams is the master of superficial filmaking. His Star Trek movies are pretty, has good actions, and he has great cast. His characters though are hollow. Same sadly applies a bit to TFA.

Arttemis

I just rewatched Looper today for the first time since its release... Damn, it's even better than I remembered. Character's convictions were so well articulated, inner conflicts and all.

There's a sudden urge for me to watch Brick and Brothers Bloom. Either way, my confidence in Ep. 8 just skyrocketed.

Surfinn

I saw it as "fuck you I'm going back what I'm used to, being alone this is too much for me to handle". Kinda the way she initially turns BB-8 away for no reason other than "fuck you I do my shit alone"

After she ran off to go back into isolation, she realizes she needs her friends' help to move forward (after they meet up to save her at Starkiller base).

Another one of her flaws is being unable to let go of her past. She leaves Jakku and immediately wants to go back. Maz uses her wisdom to get Rey to realize, via the force, that her destiny lies ahead, not behind

That's the way I read some of her flaws, even if they're not outright stated

Kart94

Banned
Was it ever documented how she learned that? Luke got it from Obi-wan in the OT, but how did Rey get it?

dunno..guess she somehow learned it from that destiny scene thing. Neither is it explained how she is somehow decent at a lightsaber...besides her having that stick, but that should be different from a lightsaber.

aBarreras

dunno..guess she somehow learned it from that destiny scene thing. Neither is it explained how she is somehow decent at a lightsaber.

i just watched the movie this saturday, and she is not decent with a lightsaber at all, she just thrust it forward, and the only reason she gains the upper hand was on a rush of anger after having her awakening.

Was it ever documented how she learned that? Luke got it from Obi-wan in the OT, but how did Rey get it?

i guess the legends about the jedis talk about how they could control people to do what they wanted to do

tci

dunno..guess she somehow learned it from that destiny scene thing. Neither is it explained how she is somehow decent at a lightsaber...besides her having that stick, but that should be different from a lightsaber.
Rey is clearly a talented force user. Not everyone have to learn stuff. I have a few theories on how she got it. Would just be speculation.

1. She may have always been strong with the force. And to her own knowledge her connection with it have always been natural. So doing incredible stuff to her seems normal. Might be that her realization is the awakening Snoke mentions.

2. Kylo opened her mind to the force fully. Might have been locked by a jedi when she was put on Jakku. Thus Snoke talking about an awakening.

To me the first option is the most likely one.

As for the lightsaber. We learn pretty early on that she is very capable at fighting with her stick. I can imagine that is neither her first fight or her first weapon. Imo her fighting with the saber is very sloppy. Not going into the fight with Kylo again. Too many times that have to be explained.

Surfinn

She was halfway to hangar bay when she ran into them.
Uh do you think they wouldn't have captured her the second she took off? Like they'd just be like "oh there's one unaccounted for ship flying away from base, let's let it go"

Why do you think the falcon had to jump out of lightspeed at the last second and break through trees just to get ON the planet?

The only reason they were even able to leave was cuz the planet was blowing up

Uh do you think they wouldn't have captured her the second she took off?

Why do you think the falcon had to jump out of lightspeed at the last second and break through trees just to get ON the planet?

The only reason they were even able to leave was cuz the planet was blowing up

I mean she already escaped capture and evaded the base garrison on alert. So it's not far fetched at that point.

Surfinn

I mean she already escaped capture and evaded the base garrison on alert. So it's not far fetched at that point.
Lol it's not far fetched that she would have flown away from Starkiller base, alone, in a ship that's unaccounted for out of a main hanger bay, had the ability to make it through the fractional refresh rate of the shields completely undetected.. Cuz reasons

I think that's a little different from escaping a room and walking around

Kyoufu

Is there a canon reason why the empire never cloned Anakin? Or why nobody attempted to clone him at all? You'd think someone would want to clone him.

Yes, it's documented. In the film. It's shown directly on screen. You know, when Kylo tries to dive into her head, she picks up on what he's doing, and figures out how to turn it around.

You literally see her learn how to get into people's heads.

RyanW

Anakin had a personality though. :D

Yeah maybe in the Clone Wars where that character is completely different. Instead most people's impression of Anni is this:

i-dont-like-dzzj49.jpg

Kyoufu

Yes, it's documented. In the film. It's shown directly on screen. You know, when Kylo tries to dive into her head, she picks up on what he's doing, and figures out how to turn it around.

You literally see her learn how to get into people's heads :|

That's mind reading. I thought that was different. Even when googling the question, it seems that a lot of people were/are unsure.

Can you really blame me for asking? :(

That's mind reading. I thought that was different. Even when googling the question, it seems that a lot of people were/are unsure.
I think the thing that trips people up is she isn't in an RPG, force powers don't have to be discrete things. The force is a big vague fudge factor and it's a spectrum. She learned how to read minds, it's just a short hop to influencing them. If you can pull stuff from their mind, maybe you can push stuff into them or nudge things around too.

Surfinn

Can you really blame me for asking? :(
Nah don't blame you for asking. But I think if you watched the scene again you'd find it very obvious

One thing that has been bothering me is people talking about Yoda saying "no, there is another" in Empire. Most people say Leia. Some people try to say that they will retroactively have it be Ezra.

But... I always thought the "other" was Anakin coming back and redeeming himself, which actually happened. So its weird that people debate this 35 years after the fact.

Scene in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasqjPHpxyI

Surfinn

One thing that has been bothering me is people talking about Yoda saying "no, there is another" in Empire. Most people say Leia. Some people try to say that they will retroactively have it be Ezra.

But... I always thought the "other" was Anakin coming back and redeeming himself, which actually happened. So its weird that people debate this 35 years after the fact.

No doubt in my mind this scene is, and will always be, a reference to a sibling of Luke (which we find out in the next film that it's Leia). It fits in with the narrative established in ESB when the emperor says that Luke must be either turned or destroyed, because he is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.

Well, Leia is also the offspring of Anakin Skywalker, as we discover in ROTJ. I mean in ESB, at this point, you're logically thinking "is there another Skywalker, then?" And in ROTJ, Yoda confirms that it is Leia. It falls into the narrative as a natural progression.

I mean you could argue that it's Vader, but then that mucks up the pretty seamlessly connected narratives between the two films (established by the emperor and Yoda).

Chuckie

Luke: I can't kill my own father!
Obi-Wan: Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.
Luke: Yoda spoke of another.
Obi-Wan: The other he spoke of is your twin sister.

Seems pretty clear to me.

This could be complete bullshit, but the story I recall was that the "other" was a completely new character that wasn't intended to show up in the original trilogy, and while developing RotJ he condensed a lot of stuff down into that movie (like the final showdown with Palpatine). In the process the "other" got merged into Leia because it didn't make sense to bring in such a significant new character at the last second, and it fit in fairly well with the narrative arc he wanted (awkward incest-y moments aside).

Surfinn

This could be complete bullshit, but the story I recall was that the "other" was a completely new character that wasn't intended to show up in the original trilogy, and while developing RotJ he condensed a lot of stuff down into that movie (like the final showdown with Palpatine). In the process the "other" got merged into Leia because it didn't make sense to bring in such a significant new character at the last second, and it fit in fairly well with the narrative arc he wanted (awkward incest-y moments aside).
If that was ever the plan I think they dodged a bullet

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
My god people thinking Anakin had a personality is insane.

His performance would literally be in my top three list of aliens pretending to display human emotion.

bachikarn

Yeah, pretty sure that is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom