• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the fuck is this book???

IIRC, it was said Luke sought out the origins of the Jedi Order in the time between eps 6 and 7, and that symbol is the symbol of the jedi order. In the old EU, the beginning of the jedi was on the planet Tython, but in this new canon it's probably the planet luke and Rey were on at the end of ep 7 (the name escapes me). Given Luke's words at the end of the trailer, I surmise that book is some long lost piece of Jedi lore, possibly even from its founding, but Luke has found either some terrible secret or some fundamental flaw that he thinks cannot be fixed without eliminating Jedi, dark or light, entirely. An interesting sort of true neutral take on the universe's karmic reality if so.

XAL

Balance to the Force Prophecy is bullshit no?

Balance is Equality right? When have we ever seen Balance in Star Wars?

Not equality, equilibrium.

The Jedi and the Sith are extremes on the spectrum. There is no middle ground with either faction. They both have to end because their battle for dominance always tips the scale to one extreme making things really out of balance.

Emotion, darkness, compassion, etc - people have all of these things and you have to embrace the light and the dark and walk the middle path.

Luke is probably realizing that trying to restart the Jedi was just repeating old mistakes and that you have to make something new that embraces the entire spectrum of the force.

Paskil

I mean, a teaser trailer should probably give nothing away and make you want to see more. It is a teaser trailer, after all. I say mission accomplished and I am hyped. Poster is fucking incredible.

kevin1025

Banned
No one wants to fight you. But its obvious that if you think TFA was just "ok", that you wouldnt like this one either. So im not sure what you were expecting here.

Popular thing is well-liked, say the new thing is okay or bad or like the old one to try and upset people. Rinse and repeat forever.

Maybe the best way to bring balance is to get rid of both sides.

Well, sure.

I've always been a fan of Secret Option C: training is not important; letting the Force guide you is.

It's what leads Rey to victory over Kylo in TFA.
It's what leads Luke to victory over the Death Star in ANH.
It's what leads Luke to reject Obi-Wan and Yoda's insistence that he must defeat Vader.

It's also a good excuse for the Jedi to be more of a problem than a solution. Jedi dogma may not be the way to harmony with the Force; it may just be mortal-made dogma.

that was . . ok?! .. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first teaser and official trailer of the first movie two years back had a lot more hype to it. If this wasn't SW, I don't think I'd care that much about it based on the trailer.

Jesus some of y'all are touchy.

Saying "same beats" is not equivalent to saying " a copy/paste job."

Though TFA was a copy/paste job.
When you make unfounded claims that you pulled out of your ass, you're going to get criticized, you really shouldn't be surprised about it

Fury451

Banned
Where are these Empire Strikes Back talking points coming from?

Who is issuing these things?

It has the darker more ominous feel rather than the more hopeful adventurous TFA trailer.

That's it really, to me from that very limited info it looks like the "Resistance is on the ropes and the Jedi are the last hope" thing, which reminds me personally of Empire.

Nowhere did I say it's a copy paste though, and as I pointed out later having a darker middle is fairly classic storytelling

When you make unfounded claims that you pulled out of your ass, you're going to get criticized, you really shouldn't be surprised about it

sorry for saying that something reminded me personally of something else by making an incredibly vague statement that I didn't realize was so personally affective I beseech the forgiveness of the many

Emperor Palpatine using the dark side to cloud the Force and throw the galaxy into chaos isn't balance.

People living in harmony with the Force would be balance.

You don't necessarily need to say that "harmony with the Force" means "equality between light and dark." You could say that harmony with the Force is light and dominion over the Force is dark.

I get why Star Wars wants to go with the former (yin and yang), but what I don't get is how they're supposed to reconcile that with the latter, which is the model they've used throughout the rest of the series.

Unless they find a convincing way to say that model is incorrect, or that the dark side isn't actually about people wielding selfish influence over the Force. (Even though it continues to be so in TFA.) But I'm very skeptical of that.

The dark side was never about selfish influence

The dark side was always about using your emotions to invoke the force, even if that meant that negative emotions invoked a stronger Force.

The light side is about suppressinf your emotions to invoke the force with more control over it.

In order to master it, Rey will have to learn both.

Nielm

Not bad.

That's it for me for the trailers for The Last Jedi. Maybe I'll watch the next one, but no more than that.

I was bullshitting on twitter (surprise!) the other night talking with Steele of Steele Wars, who is really, really craving Luke firing up his green saber as a hero moment in this movie, and I was like "yeah, but what if it's white though."

Like, at first it was just to fuck with Steele, but then I was like - what if his 10 years on a rock in self-imposed exile has basically put him in the same headspace as Ahsoka was post Clone Wars.

I doubt they're going to do it (It'd depend on Filoni introducing the idea to the canon in his show as a means to make it a little more palatable when revealed in the film years later) but it could fit, depending on whether Luke's character really has decided that trying to pursue the Jedi religion is ultimately a mistake, and that a different path must be taken.

BREATHE

v9XjSEV.gif

6TxGeSq.gif
mf8r4nJ.gif

xjA0foN.gif

joDzM6L.gif

xUaOC5k.gif

mf4Bi9G.gif

GTlADsT.gif

xiPuUcT.gif

M6apHeZ.gif

1M8zL3e.gif

RXjR8Q9.gif

oJwpbAu.gif

Bold One

Their definitely going to double down on Driver now. He probably will still have the mask but dude is way to charismatic and has had to much praise for him to not be even more front and center.

Wondering what this means for the Finn and Poe characters. Especially Finn.

They already used him as bait-switch for Rey - his role in this is done...

LNBL

I'm starting to think the last line isn't Luke saying that, it's Snoke. If you listen close, it has that reverb in the voice.

Also I need that fucking poster. Holy shit.
Nah i think that is luke saying it at the end, im not so sure about the "i only know one truth" part. That might be kylo?

Gurrry

I for one liked that the teaser wasn't the whole movie for once.

There will be atleast 2 more. Try and avoid those next 2 if you dont want story beats spoiled.

mf8r4nJ.gif

Did anyone else hear the vader breath during this scene of Kylos helmet? Or am I imagining things? Does Kylo somehow get vader's helmet back in working order?!?!

Also - I really love Kylos helmet. Ill be a little upset if we only got it for 1 movie. It has such an iconic look.

Ogodei

Balance to the Force Prophecy is bullshit no?

Balance is Equality right? When have we ever seen Balance in Star Wars?

Yoda stressed that the prophecy might have been misinterpreted, and i very much think that's the angle Lucas himself was going for. Obviously the Jedi were portrayed as being somewhat in the wrong (it was just hard to see with how much of a whiny bint Anakin ended up being, making it harder to sympathize with him).

I guess the Orthodox Jedi view of the balance prophecy was rooted in their dogma that the Light side of the force was natural while the Dark side was an aberration. The presence of the darkness is itself an imbalance, and therefore destroying the Sith was the act of balance-bringing.

The "plain text" view of balance would be that the two sides must be equal in power for there to be balance, and so Anakin *did* bring balance to the Force by reducing the number of Jedi from thousands to just two, Obi-wan and Yoda against Vader and Sidious.

But there is definitely room for more readings of balance, that spirituality is more than just the clash between Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil, which is certainly something that's been advocated for by many force users in the expanded universe (without taking on Kreia's nihilistic view of good and evil both being stupid).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
that was . . ok?! .. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first teaser and official trailer of the first movie two years back had a lot more hype to it. If this wasn't SW, I don't think I'd care that much about it based on the trailer.

Yeh that was one incredibly boring trailer. Lucas arts under Disney seems to have a good quality control over it's movies though so it should be alright.

that was . . ok?! .. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, duh. What kind of hypothetical movie would this be if it wasn't Star Wars? It IS Star Wars, that's the point.

I never understand posts like these lol

Ridisc

Banned
Because I dont know, how old was Kylo when the jedi school was torn up and as such could the scene with him in the Rain with his knights be the same scene (albeit earlier) than the one where Luke is with R2 in the trailer? Or would Kylo be too young then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom