• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Mandalorian generates meme relating to well known character (appearance spoilers)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
thumbnail

If you've spent any time on social media over the past few days you've probably already encountered Baby Yoda, the latest Star Wars character to capture the hearts and minds of viewers.

The little guy has been trending on Twitter all week following his prominent role in the hit new Disney+ show, Star Wars: The Mandalorian.

To clarify, we should point out that the character isn't actually the Yoda we all know from the main Star Wars series - he's dead, remember? Rather this is just another member of the same species, whose name we still don't know yet.

thumbnail

That's not stopped him from stealing the show though, and if our Instagram and Twitter feeds have been anything to go by over the past seven days, then Baby Yoda is well on is way to becoming a meme in his own right.

Here's a selection of the best Baby Yoda memes the internet has produced so far, although we're sure there's plenty more to come.

Although the show is yet to be released in the UK, it's currently available to watch in the US, Canada and the Netherlands, with two episodes available so far.

The series is set in the Star Wars universe, five years after the events of Return of the Jedi (the 1983 movie that forms the final part of the series' original trilogy), and follows the adventures of Mandalorian bounty hunter Dyn Jarren.

But while there's been plenty of praise for Pedro Pascal's performance as Dyn Jarren - in fact, the series has received overwhelmingly positive reviews so far - it's the overwhelming cuteness of the Baby Yoda character that has taken the internet by storm.

So what do you think? Will this turn out to be a 'Distracted Boyfriend' level meme, or will it flame out as quickly as '30-50 Wild Hogs' earlier this year?

Super Mario

Banned
Could you imagine if Episode 1 had baby yoda? "Ruined the franchise. Ruined an iconic character. Money grab!"

But it's cool AF because it's in streaming TV

Could you imagine if Episode 1 had baby yoda? "Ruined the franchise. Ruined an iconic character. Money grab!"

Patience please, we are all sure Disney will fuck this up somehow. Im sure once the female characters arrive we will get our expected disappointment

Kadayi

Banned
I wonder if the people eating this up are the same people that complained about porgs.

From what I understand the Porgs were basically there to CGI over all the Pelicans that populate the Island they filmed those scenes on. Kind of funny really seeing people getting Porg Tattoos.

VulcanRaven

Disney+ is available only in US so the thread title is a spoiler. I don't think that character has appeared in any of the trailers.

Last edited:

I wonder if the people eating this up are the same people that complained about porgs.

The problem (imo) was never "cute characters" in Star Wars. The Ewoks were fine for me, as were the Porgs or Baby Yoda is now.
The problem with the porgs is the bad movie surrounding them, that relies on shitty jokes every twenty seconds like it's a fucking sitcom just without a laughing track.

Embedded into a good story, those cute characters are perfectly fine.

And the relationship of that ice cold bounty hunter dude to that little baby is an old but interesting concept.

Ar¢tos

I don't get it...
In a millenia Yoda was the only one of his species and now out of nowhere another one shows up? And in cute phase?
What the fuck is happening to Star Wars lore? Is it all checking boxes and fanservice to maximize sales/views?

Fbh

To be fair at least baby Yoda is an important part of the show so far, and for better or worse has some implications for the larger lore of the franchise.
Porgs on the other hand felt like they were designed from the ground up for nothing other than selling merch. Appearing in the worst movie from the franchise doesn't help either

DKehoe

I don't get it...
In a millenia Yoda was the only one of his species and now out of nowhere another one shows up? And in cute phase?
What the fuck is happening to Star Wars lore? Is it all checking boxes and fanservice to maximize sales/views?

There was another of Yoda's species on the Jedi council during the prequels. The implication seems to be it's a highly force sensitive species, and going by how it's treated presumably very rare. So in the post-Empire setting's power vacuum it would be really valuable for someone looking to take control. Seems like a straight forward enough premise.

Ar¢tos

There was another of Yoda's species on the Jedi council during the prequels. The implication seems to be it's a highly force sensitive species, and going by how it's treated presumably very rare. So in the post-Empire setting's power vacuum it would be really valuable for someone looking to take control. Seems like a straight forward enough premise.
I'm not sure if adding a character that has no explainable origin/backstory or from an ultra ultra rare race that is advanced enough to interact with all others but in a thousand years only 3 have been seen, just because the writers want to have a character very strong with the force is the best idea.
Sounds like terrible writing to me.

DKehoe

I'm not sure if adding a character that has no explainable origin/backstory or from an ultra ultra rare race that is advanced enough to interact with all others but in a thousand years only 3 have been seen, just because the writers want to have a character very strong with the force is the best idea.

Why does it sound like terrible writing? The audience pretty quickly understands and invests in what's at stake without needing a large exposition dump, something that the main character isn't the type to give.

Doom85

Well by that logic Yoda himself is terrible writing. Except he wasn't, obviously Obi-Wan had to have been trained by someone (another reason why Qui-Gon was such a waste of time, just have 1 start with Obi-Wan having finished his training with Yoda and begin his friendship with Anakin. Oh no, rather let's have the lead of the movie be a character who's irrelevant to 2 and 3, awesome plot structure!) so Yoda was a natural inclusion. I haven't seen the Mandalorian yet but I mean it's a goddamn baby, its Force potential shouldn't even matter so why would it be an issue?

Now if they actually do exposition-dump Yoda's species and his whole backstory and shit, then yeah fuck that. I always like how Yoda's species and most of his backstory were unknown and would rather it stay that way, it makes the character stand out.

MilkyJoe

Media manipulation 1.01, i.e. a few "selected" accounts make some memes, mainstream media runs with "star wars goes viral must see new hit subscribe now give Disney shekels!!!" headlines. Rinse repeat ad-infinitum. Baby Groot kicks Baby Yoda's phony ass.

I'm not falling for it...

cheezcake

How is it not explainable?

Ar¢tos

How is it not explainable?
Adding a baby version of one of the most iconic characters (that was even more iconic because he was the only one of its kind, ignoring the other cameo in the prequels) seems to be done more for likes and merchandise than anything else.

cheezcake

Adding a baby version of one of the most iconic characters (that was even more iconic because he was the only one of its kind, ignoring the other cameo in the prequels) seems to be done more for likes and merchandise than anything else.

It's entertainment, all entertainment is done for "likes" in one form or another. As for done more for merch than anything else, you can't even validly judge that, there's been 3 episodes. There's still 2/3 of a season left to see how much and how interesting a role baby Yoda plays the rest of the season.

Ar¢tos

It's entertainment, all entertainment is done for "likes" in one form or another. As for done more for merch than anything else, you can't even validly judge that, there's been 3 episodes. There's still 2/3 of a season left to see how much and how interesting a role baby Yoda plays the rest of the season.
Regardless of how well developed or not the character is, those "Baby Yodas" stuffed toys, keyrings, phone covers, mugs, etc will be flying of the shelves this Xmas!

DKehoe

Does the original trilogy actually say anything about Yoda being the only one of his kind? If they had used a baby Wookie instead would you have felt similarly?

Ar¢tos

Does the original trilogy actually say anything about Yoda being the only one of his kind? If they had used a baby Wookie instead would you have felt similarly?
The original trilogy intentionally says absolutely nothing about its background which made him being the only one a bigger mystery. Then the prequels showed another and now we even have babies. It's watering down the original concept.
Weren't there several Wookies shown in the prequels and side-stories?

cormack12

Gold Member
Read about this recently. Timeline is yoda is like 900 years old. The baby is 50 years old. Mandalorian is set 5 years after return of the jedi.

Favreau said the story behind the baby is heartbreakingly beautiful......

Dunno what to take from that. Could be the last of the species. Could be yodas baby? Theres been a bounty out for ages but no puck and not even a mention of the race/species.

I am a bit miffed the bounty hunter started out like kingsman then he needs a droid and a baby to save him, jawwas fuck him over twice and he has some weird old man as his 'Virgil'. Felt a bit disjointed.

Top Bottom