• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Mandalorian generates meme relating to well known character (appearance spoilers)

DKehoe

The original trilogy intentionally says absolutely nothing about its background which made him being the only one a bigger mystery. Then the prequels showed another and now we even have babies. It's watering down the original concept.
Weren't there several Wookies shown in the prequels and side-stories?

Yeh there’s Wookies in the prequels and some side stuff. But since you discounted Yaddle (the female Yoda on the Jedi council) because that was the prequels that’s what made me think about Chewbacca since he’s the only Wookie in the OT. Chewbacca’s backstory wasn’t fleshed out much beyond “let the Wookie win” giving you the impression he’s not to be fucked with. There’s only a few more episodes to go, let’s see how it plays out.

Ar¢tos

Why is that a problem?
It's not.
But knowing modern Disney (Frozen 2 merchandise and partnerships being sold ages before the release - corine de farme, Yoplait, toys'r'us, etc), was the character created to sell stuff or is stuff being sold because of the character's success?

Doom85

The idea that Star Wars has never been heavily influenced by merchandise is fucking ridiculous. For gods' sake, the Ewoks practically screamed, "buy me, kids!" and Harrison Ford wanted Han to die in 6 but Lucas vetoed it not because of how it would affect the story but "dead Han doesn't sell toys". Jar Jar Binks was created to pander to kids AKA toy sales. And so on and so forth.

I mean, after the first movie came out, people basically bought empty boxes for Christmas as the vouchers would get them four figures the following year. That's how crazy it's been from the get-go. I know it's the trend to hate on Disney nowadays but anyone acting like their merchandising of fucking STAR WARS of all things is different from how it used to be, well you're just living in a different reality than the rest of us.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's not.
But knowing modern Disney (Frozen 2 merchandise and partnerships being sold ages before the release - corine de farme, Yoplait, toys'r'us, etc), was the character created to sell stuff or is stuff being sold because of the character's success?

It’s both at the same time.

Kadayi

Banned
screen-shot-2019-11-20-at-115215-1024x1001.png
Star-Wars-The-Mandalorian-Baby-Yoda-Meme-2.jpg

Top Bottom