• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Mileage will vary when grouping, but guildies especially should not be rushing players through a FP (that will get you kicked probably from the guild I play with), especially on Regular mode.

It's common for people to rush through hard modes though since they have run them many times already, but for regular runs it should be common practice to have people experiencing them for the first time.

I've done handful of heroics and at least one flashpoint between my characters. Heroics have been a bad experience in general. Others just rushing through them when I'm in one for the first time. The last one I did was just like that and things were being rushed through so fast I didn't even manage to complete as some just dropped as soon as they got credit for what was needed while I was respawning from being killed. The Flashpoint only went well because it was the first one and it was just another person and myself. We could only move through it so fast. Now this just could be lower level issues but they kinda soured me on doing that type of content.

You just got stuck with some shitty players, it happens. You only did the first FP also if you did it with one other person.

Milly79

I have the same problem with Flashpoints. I've only done a handful of them, so I would ideally like to experience the stories on my first time through, but everyone (especially my guild) just wants to spacebar through. I've been in groups where people have been kicked because they didn't rush through the dialogue.

I can't entirely blame them; I don't want to sit through it every time, but once would be nice.

Get to 50 and run yourself up to The Foundry. Group for the last 5-6.

Effect

I appreciate that you can solo because of these issues. I am considering tonight just grinding in an area and seeing how long it takes me to get bored and level. At least this way I'm not running back and forth to turn in missions and can just stay in one place and not waste time traveling. Sometimes when I do that in other games I tend to get a zone and the time can fly by.

Get to 50 and run yourself up to The Foundry. Group for the last 5-6.

But grouping with others is fun, at least it's supposed to be. At least it's a nice change of pace when going through the leveling process to hit up a flash point here and there, same with occassional heroics. I skipped most heroics but did some just to do something different and so that I could skip some of the side quests. Plus heroics usually give you nice orange gear.

At 50 you will often just get people who want to rush through the FP's since they did them already.

HBroward

From Stephen Reid's twitter:

Back at desk and coffee is flowing. For those asking, more details on 1.2 publish date are being finalized. Hold tight.

And this is from Day 3 of Pax East:

When is 1.2? The answer soon, very soon. Isn’t that right James? I (James) thought I said within a week? Ha, just kidding! He (James) had being hit in the head before he said that. He is going to get hit in the head again if he says it again. So 1.2 is coming very soon, I hope that we will have more news to share on that next week.

Soooo, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it looks like it may not be this week now. Eat that crow Ohlen, eat it!

Soooo, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it looks like it may not be this week now. Eat that crow Ohlen, eat it!

If we wont find out till next week, that could mean 2 weeks away lol. Ridiculous.

Course then they had to go waste time with doing something like PAX during a crunch time like this? Course EA would want them there, but that's a waste of resources and bad timing.

Milly79

But grouping with others is fun, at least it's supposed to be. At least it's a nice change of pace when going through the leveling process to hit up a flash point here and there, same with occassional heroics. I skipped most heroics but did some just to do something different and so that I could skip some of the side quests. Plus heroics usually give you nice orange gear.

At 50 you will often just get people who want to rush through the FP's since they did them already.

Very true, but at this state you may not be able to find the necessary group. If you want the story, you may as well run it yourself.

And to whoever said they were going to try grinding, unless you have rest XP you'll be there for hours on end. It's not viable to grind in this game, assuming you're talking about just killing mobs.

Very true, but at this state you may not be able to find the necessary group. If you want the story, you may as well run it yourself.

And to whoever said they were going to try grinding, unless you have rest XP you'll be there for hours on end. It's not viable to grind in this game, assuming you're talking about just killing mobs.

There is no need to actually grind in the game, at most if you really want to, you just have to do the bonus objectives in quests or the multistage bonuses which will often give you more xp than the actual standard quest reward. Even if you don't do MP stuff the game has more than enough quests.... but I find that boring, always need to mix things up. Doing alts right now, I jump at any lfg request to do heroics on whatever planet I'm on.

Milly79

There is no need to actually grind in the game, at most if you really want to, you just have to do the bonus objectives in quests or the multistage bonuses which will often give you more xp than the actual standard quest reward. Even if you don't do MP stuff the game has more than enough quests.... but I find that boring, always need to mix things up. Doing alts right now, I jump at any lfg request to do heroics on whatever planet I'm on.

There are way too many quests. I guess Bioware didn't think that most people were completionists, and threw too many quests in there. I don't think I've ever been under-leveled for the next planet at any time. If anything, I'm always over by at least 1.

I've been leveling since Taris with a few people, and the ride is much much smoother.

There are way too many quests. I guess Bioware didn't think that most people were completionists, and threw too many quests in there. I don't think I've ever been under-leveled for the next planet at any time. If anything, I'm always over by at least 1.

I've been leveling since Taris with a few people, and the ride is much much smoother.

Well leveling was slower in the beta but they continually kept changing the xp gains and such throughout builds. The number of quests didn't change but since things move faster now it create an abundance of them. Plus the game tosses xp at you from so many other little areas. Codex entries, lore, space, pvp, exploration, companion dialogues, daily quests, etc, etc.

Milly79

RaptorJesus.gif

HBroward

Awesome but it took way to damn long to get this patch out.

They did commit to releasing these on a monthly basis going forward, and being able to transfer characters freely to the test server soon will hopefully make these testing periods much more robust.

The next updates are supposed to be smaller so they will get them out faster, this patch is very big and they kept adding to it while it was in the making. The Legacy system itself probably took a huge chunk of time.

They are supposed to be starting live events also after 1.2 hits so that will hopefully keep the waiting between content updates down a bit and liven things up. They did take too long for this update though and should have given out bits of it earlier

Giolon

The next updates are supposed to be smaller so they will get them out faster, this patch is very big and they kept adding to it while it was in the making. The Legacy system itself probably took a huge chunk of time.

They are supposed to be starting live events also after 1.2 hits so that will hopefully keep the waiting between content updates down a bit and liven things up. They did take too long for this update though and should have given out bits of it earlier

The population of my server (Hyperspace Cannon) has taken a huge nose-dive in the last two weeks. Peak pops have dropped in half, and most of my friends have quit the game for good during that time. People just don't care about what 1.2 has to offer anymore. It's too little too late.

And now for those of us that are left, the re-use of set bonuses and Bioware's backing out of the re-itemization of Rakata gear my actually be the final straw that drives the rest of my friends away.

Sad times for my SWTOR gaming ahead. For the first time, I'm questioning how much I want to play it any longer. New patches aren't particularly exciting if you have no one to play them with.

Jomjom

Banned
Kinda off topic, but is there any kind of comprehensive list for all the KOTOR 1 and 2 references in SWTOR? My Google skills are weak and I wasn't able to find much other than a couple of misinformed forum threads.

I just finished the Jedi Knight storyline yesterday and I'm playing a Sith Warrior now, but I don't ever plan to play the other classes. As I'm mainly playing SWTOR because of KOTOR, I don't want to miss anything that might link to KOTOR, but is only in the main story missions for the other 6 classes.

Kinda off topic, but is there any kind of comprehensive list for all the KOTOR 1 and 2 references in SWTOR? My Google skills are weak and I wasn't able to find much other than a couple of misinformed forum threads.

Theres alot of stuff really, dont think there is a list. Lot of stuff in codex entries, bits of dialogue in various quests, names of items, etc.

gatti-man

The population of my server (Hyperspace Cannon) has taken a huge nose-dive in the last two weeks. Peak pops have dropped in half, and most of my friends have quit the game for good during that time. People just don't care about what 1.2 has to offer anymore. It's too little too late.

And now for those of us that are left, the re-use of set bonuses and Bioware's backing out of the re-itemization of Rakata gear my actually be the final straw that drives the rest of my friends away.

Sad times for my SWTOR gaming ahead. For the first time, I'm questioning how much I want to play it any longer. New patches aren't particularly exciting if you have no one to play them with.

Join imp gaf or if you like losing at pvp Rep gaf lol.

haha they dug out the original imperial helmet design from the games early dvelopment and made it a trooper helm.

Like the SW helms.

I turn off helms on almost everything else though outside of BH's

Field Medic set for Agents look cool I think

Wallach

http://dulfy.net/2012/04/11/1-2-war-hero-armorhigh-resolution-in-game-screenshots/

Just when you think the Jedi Knight's head gear could not get any more stupid!

Seriously though, the JK head is really horrible. SW looks good. Trooper & BH are the best ones out of the lot, imo. Consular doesn't look that bad besides head gear, and Inquisitor is certainly.. unique.

Trooper and BH generally get the coolest looking gear. The Powertech side of the BH has a really unfortunate color scheme on one of the War Hero sets, though. Bright yellow with red trim, quite nasty.

Personally I also like the Smuggler set. The helm is weird, but with that hidden it seems like decent looking kit. Not sure I understand what the wing-like things are on the right wrist, otherwise it seems pretty normal.

Enosh

Draxal

at least you don't have fucking capes and there is a toggle helmet option
I hate capes

I would love some of the Jedi Knight sets (Battlelord/and it's legacy recolor), if there was a toggle hood option. The majority of the seven piece boe sets look amazing, wish they added the augment modifiers to them in this patch instead of the future.

gatti-man

http://dulfy.net/2012/04/11/1-2-war-hero-armorhigh-resolution-in-game-screenshots/

Just when you think the Jedi Knight's head gear could not get any more stupid!

Seriously though, the JK head is really horrible. SW looks good. Trooper & BH are the best ones out of the lot, imo. Consular doesn't look that bad besides head gear, and Inquisitor is certainly.. unique.

I think the jk set looks amazing minus the god awful shit tastic helm. I would rock that all day and just toggle helm. All other sets look great to me too. Really happy with them.

Trooper and BH generally get the coolest looking gear. The Powertech side of the BH has a really unfortunate color scheme on one of the War Hero sets, though. Bright yellow with red trim, quite nasty.

Personally I also like the Smuggler set. The helm is weird, but with that hidden it seems like decent looking kit. Not sure I understand what the wing-like things are on the right wrist, otherwise it seems pretty normal.

The pvp armor will thankfully have orange craftable option so that you could get ahold of the other color schemes

SpudBud

HBroward

So I was just reading around and found this little tidbit:

When running end-game operations (especially SOA in Hard Mode and Nightmare) you should change your graphics settings to Very Low, since higher resolution textures imprecisely identify where the lightning balls are. Even a one meter difference could mean life vs. death when the lightning ball's AOE ticks.

Well, that certainly explains some of the behavior we have seen if this is true, like Foudre force speeding through a ball and it not registering him hitting it. It's ridiculous how many issues that one fight has.

Milly79

So I was just reading around and found this little tidbit:

Well, that certainly explains some of the behavior we have seen if this is true, like Foudre force speeding through a ball and it not registering him hitting it. It's ridiculous how many issues that one fight has.

Not that it matters, since mine are always on low, but I remember Gyrs always telling us to turn our grass up and graphics on low.

HBroward

Not that it matters, since mine are always on low, but I remember Gyrs always telling us to turn our grass up and graphics on low.

Yeah, but there were other effects like fire and the green puddles on SOA that didn't appear on the lower settings, it seems to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Edit: Actually now that you mention it I remember it being mentioned that the fire is based off the grass settings. I'll have to experiment a little the next time we run a normal op.

Milly79

Yeah, but there were other effects like fire and the green puddles on SOA that didn't appear on the lower settings, it seems to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Edit: Actually now that you mention it I remember it being mentioned that the fire is based off the grass settings. I'll have to experiment a little the next time we run a normal op.

The puddles were always hit and miss. I could be standing in one and not know unless I was told to move. I also never have my camera zoomed out, so that probably didn't help when I'm spamming poop missile all over.

HBroward

A dev finally posted in the Sniper PTS thread:
I believe there are a couple of culprits contributing to the subpar DPS being reported in this thread.

First, for those unaware, we've identified that training dummies cannot dodge or deflect attacks, which is an issue we're working on a solution for. In the mean time however, this means Accuracy Rating is effectively not contributing to your DPS when attacking a training dummy. As this is a very common stat on Sniper and Gunslinger gear, it's likely that tests performed against training dummies will show lower DPS than other classes that rely less on Accuracy.

Additionally, we've adjusted some of our assumptions regarding how weapon damage interacts with enemy chances to dodge and deflect. In an as-of-yet-undetermined patch after 1.2, you'll see a small but noticeable damage increase to a few key attacks for Snipers and Gunslingers.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Snipers and Gunslingers are a difficult class to play. As "pure DPS" classes (like the Marauder and Sentinel), Snipers and Gunslingers require a good deal of skill to wield properly, and finding and executing a proper rotation is key to ideal resource management and damage output.

In summary, our internal tests don't support these claims, but some of that is due in part to the "real world conditions" in which these tests are conducted. Our findings are and continue to be that Snipers and Gunslingers, in the right hands, played in a real world setting are actually performing extremely well. These classes are on and beyond our targets, extremely similar in performance to Marauders and Sentinels. And for clarity, those "targets" I'm mentioning are the kill times and DPS that we aim all damage dealing specs in the game to meet (and it's the same target values for all specs).

At least they have said we are getting damage buffs on some attacks, even though I feel we don't need them. But hey, I certainly won't complain! It's pretty funny all those guys got basically called out for not playing the class correctly.

Edit: It's amazing some of the people in that thread can form coherent sentences based off how bad their reading comprehension skills are.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
A dev finally posted in the Sniper PTS thread:

At least they have said we are getting damage buffs on some attacks, even though I feel we don't need them. But hey, I certainly won't complain! It's pretty funny all those guys got basically called out for not playing the class correctly.

Edit: It's amazing some of the people in that thread can form coherent sentences based off how bad their reading comprehension skills are.

I love how marauders are always the benchmark :D. But yeah, so many whiners in SWTOR that press 2 buttons, crunch a log, and make a forum post on why their dps is not exactly the same as class X. RNG, skill, gear, custom modifications, party/raid wide buffs, boss movement, and more factor into a dps reading. Unless a class is consistently below every other class on ACTUAL boss encounters; I really don't see a problem.

Top Bottom