• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Uprising announced (Action RPG, Kabam, Mobile, Co-op, Post Ep. 6, Canon)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CG Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOe48qJzMXs

realtime-coopkqli0.jpg
deep-customization63y5n.jpg
future-of-universez8bje.jpg

“It’s pretty in the BioWare world when you’re not in a dungeon, and pretty in the Diablo world when you are in a dungeon,” Erickson said, though he later added there won’t be any dialogue trees. “It’s a whole lot of storytelling and a whole lot of deep systems and things to explore outside, and then a pretty smash-em RPG when you’re running around stomping things.”

Classes include the Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Rebel Guerilla, Diplomat, Gambler, or “something completely unique.” By design, there’s no mention of Jedi, lightsabers, or force powers anywhere.

Star Wars: Uprising will begin a beta roll out in select territories in the upcoming weeks. If you’re interested in playing, you can sign up here. When the full game is released this fall, it will include two chapters. The script for the third chapter is already in Lucasfilm’s hands, Erickson said, and plans to support Uprising “go years into the future.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...ont page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Blogroll

BusinessWire said:
Kabam, Disney, and Lucasfilm Announce Star Wars™: Uprising Coming Soon to Mobile Devices
New Role Playing Game Continues the Epic Series Following Star Wars™: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi™ – Pre-Register Now!

June 04, 2015 11:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kabam, in collaboration with The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) and Lucasfilm Ltd., today announced the development of Star Wars™: Uprising, the first mobile game to take place after Star Wars™: Episode VI Return of the Jedi™ and before Star Wars™: The Force Awakens™. Developed by the industry-leading team at Kabam RPG Studio in San Francisco under the direction of Senior Vice President Aaron Loeb, Star Wars™: Uprising will allow players to create their own unique character, go on missions, and build their gear and skills, while amassing a powerful crew and cartel to join in large-scale sector-wide battles that dictate the future of the game universe. Players will also be able to engage in real-time co-op with friends against the Empire.

Star Wars™: Uprising will introduce a new chapter of the Star Wars™ universe that will illuminate dramatic events in the Anoat Sector, inclusive of Hoth and Cloud City, following the Battle of Endor and the death of the Emperor. Players will learn hundreds of abilities and collect iconic Star Wars gear to create their own takes on the next generation of heroes: Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Rebel Guerilla, Diplomat, Gambler or something completely unique.

“Star Wars™: Uprising is a deep role playing game (RPG) experience that will immerse players in the Star Wars universe during a unique time following the fall of Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine,” said Loeb. “The Kabam RPG Studio has taken its collective experience and passion for role playing games to focus on creating a unique and immersive gameplay experience for Star Wars fans and RPG gamers around the world.”

The Star Wars™: Uprising official website is now live at http://playstarwarsuprising.com, where the game’s first trailer is now posted. By pre-registering, Star Wars fans can help shape the future of the in-game universe and win exclusive prizes such as a storm trooper helmet by voting for in-game content. Star Wars: Uprising will begin a beta roll out in select territories in the upcoming weeks.

The creative power behind the game comes from Kabam RPG Studio in San Francisco, which is made up of the top art, design and storytelling talent from the RPG world, and technical masters from across the video game industry. The team is dedicated to bringing the best RPG experiences to mobile and includes Daniel Erickson, former creative director of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and Danny Keller, Emmy award nominee for Star Wars™: The Clone Wars™. The studio’s most recent game, Spirit Lords, received the highly coveted Editors’ Choice Award on the App Store
Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ilm-Announce-Star-Wars™-Uprising#.VXBsxc9VhBc

IGN notes the game is canon, which I know some of you love debating:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...ont page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Blogroll
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...ont page)&utm_content=1&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Here are some of your new Star Wars characters:

Imperial Governor Adelhard

adelhard610z4ubu.jpg

Commander Bragh

bragh610rduvm.jpg

Deathstick

deathstick2000x3000jpd2bux.jpg

Brask

braskvcu01.jpg

Riley

rileymarketing2jpg-64l0usv.jpg

Nomad (I'm not sure if this is a character or a player class)

nomadbountyhunterjpg-8cuau.jpg

uprising-small0bswg.jpg

DodgerSan

Not sure how it's going to be canon if everyone can create their own character?

Unless it's like KOTOR, where everyone does their own thing but there's also an accepted 'canon' sequence of events.

What have Kabam done before?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not sure how it's going to be canon if everyone can create their own character?

Unless it's like KOTOR, where everyone does their own thing but there's also an accepted 'canon' sequence of events.

What have Kabam done before?

The canon comes from the NPCs that send you on missions I'm assuming. I added them to the OP.

Shari

Does being a Junior Member always come with blissful ignorance?
Edit: While waiting for 60 second timer to go down, you edited your post

Not offended, but what is the criteria for that? I reckon my account is pretty old.

Also, I'm not privy on F2P nor mobile so I did what anyone not specialized on the subject would/should do.

Fuck f2p man :(

sphagnum

Banned
News about this was leaked last week, good to see it's confirmed.

For anyone confused about how the canon works, the Lucasfilm Story Group has said that for video games the general concept (characters, background, weapons, locations, story etc.) are canon but not the "actions". So if you can create a character or join a side, that won't be canon, but the Battle of ______ or the fact that Darktroopers exist or whatever is canon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not offended, but what is the criteria for that? I reckon my account is pretty old.

Also, I'm not privy on F2P nor mobile so I did what anyone not specialized on the subject would/should do.

Fuck f2p man :(
300 posts I believe and 3 months

Akzel

Aww come on .. I was hyped until I saw Mobile. Again if it was multi platforms I would be glad but mobile only, I'll pass.

- Still glad for mobile players though.

Zomba13

It kinda sucks how everything now is "canon" like that Star Wars Comic which while good (maybe, I've not read it but heard good things), seems to be messing shit up while things like KOTOR which didn't really mess up the canon are now struck from it.

sphagnum

Banned
It kinda sucks how everything now is "canon" like that Star Wars Comic which while good (maybe, I've not read it but heard good things), seems to be messing shit up while things like KOTOR which didn't really mess up the canon are now struck from it.

Han Solo
having a wife who he's not actually with
is not "messing things up". KOTOR conflicts with the new timeline that they're setting up for the old Galactic Republic anyway. Have patience and they'll surely reintegrate elements from the old EU later on. They're already doing it a lot in the novels.

edit: Also yeah, deathsticks are a type of drug, first mentioned in AotC.

sphagnum

Banned
I wonder if Adelhard will tie into Aftermath and Shattered Empire. I'm still personally hoping that Mas Amedda becomes the "official" successor to Palpatine like how Sate Pestage did in the old canon since he was the Grand Vizier.

DodgerSan

News about this was leaked last week, good to see it's confirmed.

For anyone confused about how the canon works, the Lucasfilm Story Group has said that for video games the general concept (characters, background, weapons, locations, story etc.) are canon but not the "actions". So if you can create a character or join a side, that won't be canon, but the Battle of ______ or the fact that Darktroopers exist or whatever is canon.

Fair enough.

I actually like the fact that everything is "real" now. Prevents a lot of arguments.
Totally agree about the KOTOR etc stuff though.

Or Crack.

"Behold, the unmatched villainy of the almighty CrackPipe! (tm)"

blackjaw

IGN put up another article (their third in like 10 minutes) and we have the full poster now:

uprising-small0bswg.jpg

I like the poster but I have such low hopes for this game.

"Buy more force crystals to continue"

No thanks, I'll go back to KOTOR on my iPad.

MiguelItUp

It's Star Wars so I'm automatically feeling like I'm being pulled towards it. Here's to hoping that it's something that's worth putting time into! I want more Star Wars games! MORE! Not to mention it'd be great to have a mobile game that I keep going back to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From IGN's third article:

“It’s pretty in the BioWare world when you’re not in a dungeon, and pretty in the Diablo world when you are in a dungeon,” Erickson said, though he later added there won’t be any dialogue trees. “It’s a whole lot of storytelling and a whole lot of deep systems and things to explore outside, and then a pretty smash-em RPG when you’re running around stomping things.”

Classes include the Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Rebel Guerilla, Diplomat, Gambler, or “something completely unique.” By design, there’s no mention of Jedi, lightsabers, or force powers anywhere.

Star Wars: Uprising will begin a beta roll out in select territories in the upcoming weeks. If you’re interested in playing, you can sign up here. When the full game is released this fall, it will include two chapters. The script for the third chapter is already in Lucasfilm’s hands, Erickson said, and plans to support Uprising “go years into the future.”

I also added some more characters to the OP.

Elginer

braskvcu01.jpg

For some reason I feel Capt. Kirk should be fighting this guy.
Looks interesting. I've enjoyed most of their games on tablet.

Top Bottom