• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Uprising announced (Action RPG, Kabam, Mobile, Co-op, Post Ep. 6, Canon)

Canon is marketing nonsense. Of course they're not going to tell you that it doesn't count when they want your money.

This is so disappointing as someone that's always been a huge fan of licensed games. Some people say that fears of mobile games killing traditional games are irrational and unfounded, but anyone that likes playing licensed games on consoles knows better, because the fears have already come true. With few meaningful exceptions, licensed games today are Lego or mobile.

The #1 thing I want above all else is a quality Marvel fighting game, and instead of that, Marvel's current fighting game is Contest of Champions, by none other than Kabam, and it's F2P horseshit with paper-thin gameplay, that is more business model than game.

Please, please, please unveil Visceral's Star Wars game at E3. Please, EA.

sphagnum

Banned
Canon is marketing nonsense. Of course they're not going to tell you that it doesn't count when they want your money.

Literally everything being put out since 2014, unless labelled Legends, is considered canon according to the Lucasfilm Story Group. They've been tying everything in together. Considering there's a comic (Shattered Empire) and novel trilogy (Aftermath) that take place directly after RotJ coming out this fall, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the characters from this show up. We already know some characters from the obscure short stories in Star Wars Insider are showing up in Aftermath.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, is this the Star Wars RPG BioWare is said to be working on?

BioWare clarified they aren't working on one and the announcement reference was to SWTOR back when Dragon Age was revealed.

This game is made by Kabam, but the Senior Design Director of SWTOR is directing it.

EA is also making Star Wars mobile titles, but those are separate, as their exclusive license is only for core oriented console games. If you want to make a mobile title or (I believe) an f2p PC game, that's still up for grabs.

The art and worldbuding interest me greatly.
Those are some righteous looking characters!

Kabam and free to tap make me want to vomit.
So sick of this type of "game design".

Artwork this good doesn't deserve to be attached to FTP crap.

I'll try it though at least, always leave room to be pleasantly surprised.

DodgerSan

Interesting tidbit for the canon hounds.

On the "vote now" page there's a Mirialan vs Mikkian - the Mikkian is new I think, and looks very much like the Jedi Tiplar from the Order 66 arc of the Clone Wars.

MattyG

Banned
Oh cool, Star Wars action RPG! Oh, mobile. I guess I can deal with that if I have to.

It's Kabam. It will be extremely f2p.
asdsoauxq.gif

drotahorror

Was actually excited until I saw 'mobile'. This coulda been great. The controls for mobile action-rpg's are just awful from my experience.

Pilgrimzero

LOL mobile gaming and look F2P.

Where are those mobile supporters from pervious threads?

Finally another Star Wars RPG and its mobile F2P. Man....

Mandelbo

What other games gave Kabam done? They seem quite notorious here, but this is the first time I've ever heard of them. How bad is their F2P?

Real talk, that Star Wars clash of clans ripoff is straight up vile in its "progression design."

Despite the art being glorious for this, I don't expect a reasonable pricing structure.

It's gonna be another 1% er's IAP game like every other mobile game these days.
Mobile landscape is depressing. Why aren't people getting wise to these?

Acidote

I don't have any problem with it being a mobile game. Being a F2P mobile game on the other hand... I don't like games based on "wait or pay". I only tolerate it on Terra Battle and that doesn't mean it's a practice I like.

Mandelbo

Isn't it amazing that everything Star Wars related that Disney is going to be trying to sell to you from this point forward is going to be "canon"?

Temple Run: Star Wars edition? Canon.

I'm going to have an open-mind, it could be a fun low-budget title with a good f2p system.

As long as it is not a Clash of Clans clone, I am happy.

NimbusD

Isn't it amazing that everything Star Wars related that Disney is going to be trying to sell to you from this point forward is going to be "canon"?

Temple Run: Star Wars edition? Canon.

Exactly. Shit sucks.

This is why, outside of the new trilogy I can't really get too excited for new SW stuff. We're looking at best a decade before Star Wars becomes squeezed completely dry (just look at the rate of movie releases they have coming out, and this is just the beggining).

The OP kinda had my interest piqued but each post after that mad me sadder and sadder. I'm now at the point of, "screw this game, it shouldn't even exist."

Risingsun

Neo Member
Here is a more in-depth article on the game and an interview with the developers: http://overmental.com/content/star-wars-uprising-will-be-the-first-game-set-after-return-of-the-jedi-23799

"Star Wars: Uprising will be a free-to-play game, as the development team is envisioning it as a “continual service” with plans for new content and story for years to come.

The Kabam team is aware of the annoyances found in most F2P games though, and are focused on what they’re calling “white hat free-to-play.”

A big chunk of their team is coming from the PC gaming side of things, where F2P has really found its groove in titles such as League of Legends and Team Fortress 2. The Uprising team includes a number of former Bioware and Blizzard devs, so it’s no surprise that they’re trying their best to avoid the many tropes of bad F2P games.

This means no stamina system, no paywalls, and no pay-to-win.
“Every piece of content, everything is out there in drops, everything is playable… paying in is really about people who are trying to maximize their time, trying to dominate a certain social system, etc. It is not about the guy who just wants to show up and play some Star Wars,” Erickson added.

It also means putting a heavy focus on the storytelling, an aspect that’s often ignored when translating RPGs to mobile.

Unlike most mobile games in the genre, which are generally structured around an endless cycle of grinding, waiting, and grinding some more, Uprising is instead being developed as a more traditional story-centric experience.

“Forget mobile as a platform being any sort of constraint,” Erickson said. “We are doing a huge role-playing game.”

While details on gameplay specifics have not been released, Erickson compared the F2P mechanics to the team’s first game, Spirit Lords, although Uprising will not feature a stamina system."

Top Bottom