• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Will mods I've downloaded from the Nexus be viable with 1.0? I doubt it but it'd be nice.

I need this in my life.

19-1-1387230965.jpg

Hype deflated, not playing this with Mouse/Keyboard. Can you configure Xpadder to play this? Right stick aiming may be a no-go.
I mean.... Yes? Xpadder can be configured to everything? Shouldn't pose a particular problem.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The Steam controller should be a good fit for this. Using the gyro for fine mouse adjustments could make mouse aim workable.

Retro

A few quick notes;
- There's two cosmetic items in the intro to find; a head piece and a back item.

- Remember to watch the background when underground, there's ore you can gather in them (I forgot this was a thing, thought it'd be worth mentioning).

- Locking your toolbar (right side) is a good way to prevent just anything from getting tossed up in there. Minor annoyance for me, might be for you too.

- Likewise, the left side of the toolbar will let you swap between two different toolbar setups.

Been trying to decide on a race for almost an hour

I still feel a pang of doubt every time I don't roll a Glitch. "Retro" is just perfect for a robot who thinks it's still the middle ages. Alas, I'm not a fan of their on-damage sound effect.

mileS

Can't believe it's finally here! :)

120hrs logged on the first release. That being said it has been a good long while since I last played. Thank you Chucklefish! Jumping in right now!

I still feel a pang of doubt every time I don't roll a Glitch. "Retro" is just perfect for a robot who thinks it's still the middle ages. Alas, I'm not a fan of their on-damage sound effect.

Wasn't even taking their damage sound effect into consideration. Was mainly looking at the ships and pets.

Went with boring old human. I like the kitty and they do a good job at making the humans look pretty cool/cute.

😢

Retro

Wasn't even taking their damage sound effect into consideration. Was mainly looking at the ships and pets.

Went with boring old human. I like the kitty and they do a good job at making the humans look pretty cool/cute.

Yeah, I prefer the Human Ship. The Apex one would be great if the gaps in the floor were all lined up for elevators, but... /shrug.

And yeah, I prefer having a cat pet since I have two of my own. #CatDad #PointlessInformation #NowItsJustGettingAwkward

Corpekata

Banned
One minor gripe I can't believe hasn't been fixed: Crafting requires pixels. Why would you not include how many current pixels you have on screen when crafting then? Would be useful especially at the start of the game when you might run low. And it wouldn't require much screen real estate to show it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hm. Stable release of 1.0 runs a bit better! Not quite a locked 60 but still, better, also doesn't completely lock to 30 FPS in windowed mode, but still doens't run quite as well as full screen.

yamo

Just bought the game and started it up, trying to create my first char and I really like the customization.

In the windows taskbar it still says "Starbound - Beta" while running the game though. Should I have started "Starbound - Unstable" instead?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought the game and started it up, trying to create my first char and I really like the customization.

In the windows taskbar it still says "Starbound - Beta" while running the game though. Should I have started "Starbound - Unstable" instead?

That's a cosmetic error. Open up your option menu, it clearly says 1.0 there.

I ultimately went with novakid. I like the style, selectable color options. But the main thing was the space ship. It upgrades almost entirely on one level and looks like a train.

The mods I am using:
Hunger enabled for casual mode (like the hunger requirement but I don't like dropping items on death)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729439608

Improved containers. This lets you rename containers and when you break them the items drop don't so you can conveniently relocate them.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729427606

Instant crafting. Self explanatory. I played for a while with it on in the unstable build. But I prefer it instant because crafting 100 bars at once can take a minute or two without this mod. It's also not like you can walk away while the bars cook anymore.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729427744

All fairly lightweight mods so far.

Purkake4

Banned
For those of us that are new to this game, I wish they showed more Starship Gameplay. Is there Starship Gameplay (Ship Battles, damage/repair, boardings?
No Starship Gameplay, just your base that you can upgrade.

After taking a quick look, nothing seems particularly different from the last time I checked it out a year ago. Still feels like a clunkier version of Terraria.

cyress8

Banned
One minor gripe I can't believe hasn't been fixed: Crafting requires pixels. Why would you not include how many current pixels you have on screen when crafting then? Would be useful especially at the start of the game when you might run low. And it wouldn't require much screen real estate to show it.

Kind of weird for them to have crafting cost pixels. I was wondering why I was losing money when I was trying to make my apartment complex for my colonists on unstable the other day.

Isn't the pixel count shown on your inventory? You are talking about crafting using the pixel crafting station (forget the exact name) right? That's a fairly late game option.

If you're talking about crafting on every other table, those items don't cost pixels. I think the value you're looking at is the value of the item you're making.

Corpekata

Banned
Isn't the pixel count shown on your inventory? You are talking about crafting using the pixel crafting station (forget the exact name) right? That's a fairly late game option.

If you're talking about crafting on every other table, those items don't cost pixels. I think the value you're looking at is the value of the item you're making.

The C menu.

It's show in inventory but my annoyance was at having to go into the I menu to see it, but if I just misread it and that's the value, well, nevermind then. I thought that was how much it cost to craft.

Morokh

Played for a bit, really enjoying all the new stuff, and especially the changes to crafting, but too tired to continue for now !

Found myself Bee Wings and a Bee Shirt, I just look lovely ! ٩(◕‿◕)۶

Off to bed for now.

I need to convince my friends to play this who have it but didn't like it when the first played it quite a long while ago...

I stopped playing because I thought I would be happier playing the finished product, however, and now it's here! At least I have one or two friends who will play.
I remember waiting for almost two years for the first public release. Crazy how time flies!

Heck, it's so weird that it feels like I've barely touched the game, yet I have 125 hours in it.

aravuus

First cosmetic item I found was a plague doctor mask, first weapon I found was a massive hammer

Now I'm a scary looking motherfucker

e: of course I'm also wearing a cape to even things out lol

iiicon

Just bought and installed this game and I'm getting fatal errors while trying to launch it. Quick google search suggests this is a common problem but the common fix hasn't helped. This is a bit frustrating.

Icefire1424

Admittedly, I didn't play this all that much knowing that a version 1.0 launch was imminent. Now that it's "live" however, the multiplayer component intrigues me.

Aren't there something like thousands of planets in the game? I know each server is it's own "instance", but curious if and how a server hosting maaaaaaaaaaany players is a possibility. Think it would be kindof cool having a home planet out there, knowing there's a very real threat of some other player stumbling upon it. Then killing that player for getting too "snoopy".

Back home from work and then I was wondering why my client didn't update. Stupid steam kept it queued.

My Red-leaf Floran will explore once again!

Admittedly, I didn't play this all that much knowing that a version 1.0 launch was imminent. Now that it's "live" however, the multiplayer component intrigues me.

Aren't there something like thousands of planets in the game? I know each server is it's own "instance", but curious if and how a server hosting maaaaaaaaaaany players is a possibility. Think it would be kindof cool having a home planet out there, knowing there's a very real threat of some other player stumbling upon it. Then killing that player for getting too "snoopy".

And yes there are thousands of planets. So having your own homeworld is very real. In previous versions of Gaf Server people always tried to get other players homeworld coords in their teleporters in case they wanted to visit or something.

Then there's Retro who needs several star systems just to calm his building addiction

Dennis

Banned
I just bought Starbound on Steam.

Now in my library I see Starbound and Starboard Unstable.

What is that about?

Landford

Banned

What is that about?

Starbound is now the 1.0 and "official" game. Unstable is another version used to test new patches and bugfixes. You should just install the normal one.

Edit: beaten

What is that about?

Unstable is the test version. It was used in early access for builds that were less stable but still publicly available. Basically a beta's beta. Maybe they'll use it for more public testing of new content before they release it to the final build. Just ignore it for now.

Wyndstrykers 6 Basic Survival Tips for Newbies:

1: Torches are your means of light as well as tracking your way back to the surface when mining. Always have a ton of them

2: If you're digging shallow, you don't really need torches to light the ground. Just mine the background and light will shine in.

3: Keep a bed on you. Beds or tents or something. If you run out of healing items, you can always wall yourself in and use a bed to heal.

4: Always mark your landing spot. This way you will know if you've circled the planet. When on Gafserver it also helps other players know that the planet is explored already. A torch or some out of place dirt helps. Not a tree, especially one that matches the biome.

5: Check every chest. Dunno what you'll find.

6: Like minecraft, never dig directly down. Might end up in lava...like in minecraft.

I'll post more when I remember them lol.

Top Bottom