• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze to publish System Shock 3, investing $12 million

Gematsu. Source.

Starbreeze Publishing has signed an agreement with OtherSide Entertainment to publish System Shock 3, the company announced. Starbreeze will invest $12 million to bring the game to “PC and other platforms.”

According to Starbreeze, it wil be able to recoup 120 percent of its full investment including marketing costs, and its share of revenues will become 50 percent after the investment is recouped. OtherSide Entertainment will retain 100 percent of the intellectual property related to System Shock 3..

System Shock 3 is currently in development in the early concept stages at OtherSide Entertainment under the direction of Warren Spector and a team behind games such as System Shock, System Shock 2, Thief: The Dark Project, and Deus Ex.

Find comments from each party below.

Bo Andersson-Klint, Starbreeze CEO

“System Shock is one of those iconic franchises in the history of games that still gets my blood going and Mr. Spector is one of the founding fathers of the modern action RPG. We’re greatly looking forward to bringing System Shock 3 to players world wide in our collaboration with Otherside Entertainment and Warren Spector’s team. I’ll be first in line to play.”

Paul Neurath, OtherSide CEO

“We are thrilled to be partnering with Starbreeze for System Shock 3. They truly get games and gamers, and have been able to translate that understanding into a robust publishing business, and build thriving gaming communities around their franchises.”

Zukkoyaki

Holy crap, that's a pretty huge get for Starbreeze!

Honestly they're one of the more compelling publishers in the industry right now. Psychonauts 2, Dead by Daylight, the inevitable Payday 3 and now System Shock 3. Really coming into their own as a publisher.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. Between Spector heading the project and now a ton of extra funding, it has some serious potential.

_Aaron_

How big is OtherSide Entertainment now? In October 2015, they were only 6 people.

They still haven't released Underworld Ascendant which they announced nearly 3 years ago. Last I checked, that game looked pretty jank as well.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The System Shock franchise sure is going through a weird development currently. Remake of the first financed of Kickstarter and recently has changed the engine, System Shock 3 published by Starbreeze now. That's kinda weird. What's with System Shock 2? That being remade as well?

For some reason I expect this all to end in some kind of a desaster and that both the Remake and SS3, if ever released, will suck.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's with System Shock 2? That being remade as well?

No, but I'd imagine that will be on the cards should the Shock 1 remake be well-received. I mean, 2 still holds up fairly well, even visually, however it'll be old enough to buy a drink at the pub later this year and could use a modern coat of paint.

joms5

Keep Warren Spector as far away from this game as possible.

Hope they stick to being on a ship in space.

Granjinha

The System Shock franchise sure is going through a weird development currently. Remake of the first financed of Kickstarter and recently has changed the engine, System Shock 3 published by Starbreeze now. That's kinda weird. What's with System Shock 2? That being remade as well?

For some reason I expect this all to end in some kind of a desaster and that both the Remake and SS3, if ever released, will suck.

Why?

System Shock 1 is being made by a pretty big team and they changed engines right in the beggining of the project. Thank god, too, cause UE4 is much better fit for a game like SS.

System Shock 3 just got more funding and has one of the creators of the genre heading it.

So, again, why? Baseless cynicism?

I'm pretty sure he's the creative director on it.

The Wart

Interesting, sounds like a similar relationship as they have with Double Fine for Psychonauts 2. Is this a new kind of business model for mid-sized publishers? Financing games that are too big for Kickstarter but too small for AAA publishers, and they let the developers (or in this case Night Dive I believe) keep the IP?

Zukkoyaki

Interesting, sounds like a similar relationship as they have with Double Fine for Psychonauts 2. Is this a new kind of business model for mid-sized publishers? Financing games that are too big for Kickstarter but too small for AAA publishers, and they let the developers (or in this case Night Dive I believe) keep the IP?
Seems that way. Techland has been operating in a similar fashion.

Nzyme32

Warren Spectre joined OE to be Studio Director and lead for System Shock 3. They're gradually picking up folks from the previous games. Sheldon Pacotti is on board for writing as well, also working with him on previous System Shock and OG Deus Ex

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Why?

System Shock 1 is being made by a pretty big team and they changed engines right in the beggining of the project. Thank god, too, cause UE4 is much better fit for a game like SS.

System Shock 3 just got more funding and has one of the creators of the genre heading it.

More or less. It's just a feeling.

No one would be happier than me with the series coming back big time (SS2 being one of my all time favorites and all) but I'd really rather have these games being made with solid funding. With this sketchy stuff I cannot imagine something coming out at the end that is more than mediocre.

The Wart

Seems that way. Techland has been operating in a similar fashion.

I wonder if this would (or has?) ever happened for a new or unknown IP though. Torment, Psychonauts, and System Shock names all have a lot of cachet (albeit niche) so that gives the IP holders leverage in negotiation with publishers.

Zukkoyaki

I wonder if this would (or has?) ever happened for a new or unknown IP though. Torment, Psychonauts, and System Shock names all have a lot of cachet (albeit niche) so that gives the IP holders leverage in negotiation with publishers.
I think the closest example is Starbreeze publishing Dead by Daylight on PC (and soon console). Pretty sure the devs still own it though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Most of Starbreeze's published games are new IPs: https://www.starbreeze.com/games-release-schedule/

STARBREEZE PUBLISHING
Dead by Daylight PC Released 2016
John Wick Chronicles VR PC & LBE Released 9 Feb 2017
Dead by Daylight PS4 & XBONE In Production Q2 2017
RAID: World War II PC, PS4 & XBONE In Production Summer 2017
Psychonauts 2 Multiformat In Production 2018
Deliver Us The Moon PC In Production TBC
Antisphere PC & Consoles In Production TBC
Elementerra VR PC In Production TBC

Spaghetti

Welcome to NeoGAF/video game punditry/online forums. Never has a medium so capable of inducing joy been such a magnet for misanthropes.

--------------

But anyway; Starbreeze has a pretty interesting publishing slate. This might end up being pretty cool.

Mr. Tibbs

Awesome to see Starbreeze become a publisher for external titles with Psychonauts 2 and System Shock 3. This is the Shock-like game I'm looking forward to.

Top Bottom