• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So are we 100% sure PREY is not actually a new Bioshock?

sn00zer

EDIT:
Finally got my hands on this and I was totally wrong, I apologize.

Could argue it's lightly inspired by Bioshock in many ways, but the wood paneled 80 office feel is pretty damn awesome and the pace is much slower and more exploratory than Bioshock.

Feels really unique and actually a pretty huge step beyond Bioshock with the RPG elements and open world.

So yeah don't judge a book by its cover I guess, really love the style it has.
Looking over videos...this game is clearly Bioshock....I mean CLEARLY Bioshock. Yeah I get that "it's System Shock" inspired, but got damn, the art deco, the powers, the "abandoned perfect society", hell even the UI is similar.
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
turn-into-a-mug-in-the-new-prey.jpg
Prey_LobbyVista_730x411.png

I saw it running at PAX and legit could not shake the feeling that it's Bioshock. Even the size of the weapons looks like Bioshock. EVERYTHING about this looks like Bioshock. I would have a hard time finding things that didnt point to it being Bioshock outside of the developer/publisher.

I'm like 90% sure PREY is in the Bioshock series, but there is a massive hole in that its not a published by 2K studios.

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
I think it's just eerily similar. Bioshock sells enough on it's name alone that I think they wouldn't hide that it was a part of the series like this, especially under the guise of a completely different series.

SephLuis

I truly hope not, let PREY be it's own thing.

Then again, I'm one of the few that doesn't like most of the Bioshock series at all (except for 2) and this mention makes me less interested in PREY.

One of the video previews had someone trying to input 0451 on the first safe in the game and it didn't work, at which point I threw my computer out the window in disgust

Teeth

They both come from the same lineage: System Shock 2.

Differences are: Prey has a full inventory, the entire space station is open from the start (not level based), and its ability/gear set aids in exploration rather than just combat.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aesthetically it's a mix of BioShock, Dead Space, and Dishonored.

Gameplay wise it's more a mix of System Shock and Dishonored, but System Shock is implemented with the accessibility design mantras of BioShock.

120v

clearly part of whatever sub genre you'd classify the system shock successors and pseudo successors as

speaking of which i should go ahead and pre order the game... looking to get my 'shock fix but SS remake is a ways away and i doubt we'll get a new bioshock anytime soon. one that doesn't suck anyway

I would say it's impossible that the artists didn't think of Bioshock at least in passing when designing things visually, but in terms of gameplay it's trying to be System Shock 2 in the modern day. This is obviously going to remind you of Bioshock because Bioshock is also a modern stripped back System Shock 2.

BiggNife

Didn't those emails leaked by Schreier imply that Prey was originally a pitch for System Shock 3? With that in mind I dont think it's so surprising that it looks Bioshock esque.

Didn't those emails leaked by Schreier imply that Prey was originally a pitch for System Shock 3? With that in mind I dont think it's so surprising that it looks Bioshock esque.

It was never pitched to be System Shock 3 exactly, but the internal documents did pitch it as a spiritual successor to System Shock 2. It was internal to Arkane / Bethesda whom did not own the rights, there's no indication they ever planned to acquire them.

It looks unique enough to be its own thing, imo. I'm looking forward to it.

Given the initial trailer I could still see the gender option being used as a story point later.

I remember reading they said it'll only affect minor things, like NPC dialogue. Some people may treat you differently, etc.

GamerJM

Banned
No? I mean the game isn't out yet, we can't be 100% sure about anything regarding it. For all we know it might look nothing like anything they've shown us. However I think we can be pretty sure it's a shooter in the vein of Bioshock, but not actually a Bioshock game.

J_Viper

It could be the closest thing to a Bioshock 4 we get, for a while anyway.

This game looks stellar though, and I trust Arkane enough to gamble 35 bucks on a pre-order

Don't be so pessimistic, it might turn out to be good.

They both come from the same lineage: System Shock 2.

Differences are: Prey has a full inventory, the entire space station is open from the start (not level based), and its ability/gear set aids in exploration rather than just combat.

So, System Shock 1? Hype levels increasing.

Top Bottom