• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So are we 100% sure PREY is not actually a new Bioshock?

pa22word

Can we all agree the 0451 code is synonymous with immersive sims?
Not just that either, it showed up in Mafia 3 of all games, to the effect that I squealed like a girl in excitement lol >.>

And yes, it is. The code is based on a ray Bradbury homeage in Looking Glass games, and was the office door code for Looking Glass Studios. It being in games today is a pretty blatant sign of respect to the wonderful and truly way ahead of its time work that LGS did.

Also the dude who said this is "bioshock from people who didn't work on bioshock":

1. Irrational is both dead and never had ownership of the series to begin with. It was looking glass' baby first, and considering that studio is long dead and buried no one has the exclusive right of ownership to its design philosophies.

2. Arkane actually did work on the bioshock series. They designed the last two levels of Bioshock 2 and a bunch of water levels that ended up being cut from the final game that only exists as the traversal segments between levels in the completed game. Also, Arkane made arx fatalis with Looking Glass vets years before bioshock came out anyways so they have more than enough claim to do more Looking Glass type work than probably anyone in the business other than Otherside.

Eusis

Nope.

Prey 2 seemed like one of a kind. This seems like knockoff System Shock, which is fine, but feels like a lesser idea.
It does kind of come off as a "best case scenario" for scrapping a game but being hellbent on using the name anyway. Prey 2 did sound like a neat, unique game that would have been one of a kind if they pulled it off, but at least they didn't go "ok let's make a generic shooter" or something here. Might have been neat if they could've gotten some of those portal mechanics brought back in though to make it a "proper" successor too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Nope.

Prey 2 seemed like one of a kind. This seems like knockoff System Shock, which is fine, but feels like a lesser idea.

Maybe, but the outcome might actually be better. The aesthetics alone really catch my interest. It reminds me a lot of Adr1ft, but with a lot more science fiction. I'd throw in BioShock for the GUI and add some Dead Space because of the front cover.

Overall it is feels very pleasing for someone wanting that feeling again.

I can't say Prey 2 would have been bad, but at the time I wasn't sure because of how Prey 1 was. It felt like you were just a regular guy hanging out at a bar versus some lone wolf whose in some sort of digital cybernetic city? Maybe, but sadly we'll never know.

I can't say too much since I'm waiting on my copy to arrive in the mail. I pretty much anticipate something matching those games from last gen, so it's all welcome to me. Even if it screams BioShock under the surface.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
My dream is for this game to be successful and allow Arkane to develop a full rpg sequel to their best game; Arx Fatalis 2.

Mr. Tibbs

True, though story-wise it was connected to Prey at least.

Tommy entered the portal and was never heard from again. The end.

Tommy was in Prey 2, and was a mentor to Killian Samuels. He was even initially the lead before Bethesda said he was too whiny and no would identify with his native American goals. They tasked Human Head with creating a character there "girlfriends would find hot."
P2_Human_Tommy.jpg

But really who even wants a casual reference to Tommy or really any of the work Human Head contributed to the series when you have sick references to 1up alumni like Crispin Boyer and Anthony Gallegos?
5d9axvc.png

It does kind of come off as a "best case scenario" for scrapping a game but being hellbent on using the name anyway. Prey 2 did sound like a neat, unique game that would have been one of a kind if they pulled it off, but at least they didn't go "ok let's make a generic shooter" or something here. Might have been neat if they could've gotten some of those portal mechanics brought back in though to make it a "proper" successor too.

Making a System Shock successor is the best case scenario in general tbh.

I shed zero tears for the death of Prey 2.

Mr. Tibbs

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Prey might perform so poorly (like the worst sales for a AAA game this year) that it will effectively kill the genre for major publishers. Naming it Prey has certainly done them no favors.

jettpack

Not just that either, it showed up in Mafia 3 of all games, to the effect that I squealed like a girl in excitement lol >.>

And yes, it is. The code is based on a ray Bradbury homeage in Looking Glass games, and was the office door code for Looking Glass Studios. It being in games today is a pretty blatant sign of respect to the wonderful and truly way ahead of its time work that LGS did.

Also the dude who said this is "bioshock from people who didn't work on bioshock":

1. Irrational is both dead and never had ownership of the series to begin with. It was looking glass' baby first, and considering that studio is long dead and buried no one has the exclusive right of ownership to its design philosophies.

2. Arkane actually did work on the bioshock series. They designed the last two levels of Bioshock 2 and a bunch of water levels that ended up being cut from the final game that only exists as the traversal segments between levels in the completed game. Also, Arkane made arx fatalis with Looking Glass vets years before bioshock came out anyways so they have more than enough claim to do more Looking Glass type work than probably anyone in the business other than Otherside.
the strength of street knowledge 🙌 Spittin truth. Right on.

I shed zero tears for the death of Prey 2.
Same. This iteration is way more my jam. The original looked cool but I'm so stoked for this

jettpack

Tommy was in Prey 2, and was a mentor to Killian Samuels. He was even initially the lead before Bethesda said he was too whiny and no would identify with his native American goals. They tasked Human Head with creating a character there "girlfriends would find hot."
P2_Human_Tommy.jpg

But really who even wants a casual reference to Tommy or really any of the work Human Head contributed to the series when you have sick references to 1up alumni like Crispin Boyer and Anthony Gallegos?
5d9axvc.png
Oh man, that bit about them changing Tommy from the protagonist to an npc grosses me the fuck out

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Prey might perform so poorly (like the worst sales for a AAA game this year) that it will effectively kill the genre for major publishers. Naming it Prey has certainly done them no favors.

Implying that the genre has been alive with major publishers. The fact that Bioshock is considered one of the pinnacles of the genre speaks volumes.

At the very least, we're getting System Shock Remake and SS3, which is the best the genre has looked since 2000.

Truant

Besides the technical stuff in the demo, my only concern is the reliance on smaller fast moving enemies. It doesn't really fit the whole immersive sim vibe, and I wish there were more larger enemies that moved about in a slower pace.

The hybrids in SS2 were perfect. Fast enough to be scare, but slow enough to hit with both melee and ranged weapons.

jettpack

Implying that the genre has been alive with major publishers. The fact that Bioshock is considered one of the pinnacles of the genre speaks volumes.

At the very least, we're getting System Shock Remake and SS3, which is the best the genre has looked since 2000.
Yeah, and we also had Deus ex MD and Dishonored 2 last year. Feels like the immersive sim is doin better slowly

Mr. Tibbs

Yeah, and we also had Deus ex MD and Dishonored 2 last year. Feels like the immersive sim is doin better slowly

Sure, but both Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 under performed commercially.

The genres not dead, and although I can't see Arkane ever tackling another style of game, but there's a big difference in production and marketing budgets between a Starbreeze funded immersive-sim and Square-Enix/Bethesda backed titles.

Auctopus

You can't dismiss the System Shock 2 influence like that, sorry. Bioshock is a spiritual successor/influenced by that game.

Prey's vibe is much more similar to SS2 than Bioshock.

I'm trying to like the demo but the graphics,enemy encounters and loud sountrack threw me off.I mean I get the asthetic they're going for I loved Dishonored but it looks really dated.I did get a chuckle when I saw the windows were painted on the helicopter I guess you can say it makes sense later but they were still supposed to be see through.The enemy design I like especially the mimic angle giving me MGS 4 Laughing Octopus flashbacks but they are tough to hit especially on hard.The most annoying part is the exaggerated sound design.I get it an enemies nearby or Im in combat I dont know if they're audio glitches but it gets loud and turning down audio settings ingame does nothing.

DocSeuss

I dunno, Bioshock didn't have awful, annoying, fast enemies and a stamina system straight out of Dead Island

I want the game to be good.

I did not enjoy the demo.

One of the video previews had someone trying to input 0451 on the first safe in the game and it didn't work, at which point I threw my computer out the window in disgust

Hm.

Not sure if I should spoil. Kinda want to spoil.

EDIT: nvm, it's been spoiled.

Sure, but both Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 under performed commercially.

The genres not dead, and although I can't see Arkane ever tackling another style of game, but there's a big difference in production and marketing budgets between a Starbreeze funded immersive-sim and Square-Enix/Bethesda backed titles.

tbf, everything performed poorly last year, not just in games, but across all media

One of the video previews had someone trying to input 0451 on the first safe in the game and it didn't work, at which point I threw my computer out the window in disgust

0451 is the code for
Morgan's office

You're not supposed to open the first safe until you peek the code for it
in the whiteboard on the Looking Glass video

120v

after playing the demo.. its definitely a *shock game through and through

though i think Bioshock in particular is more about mana/gun interplay, as that series currently stands

Rathorial

No, but after the demo I am 100% certain Arkane just made a new System Shock. Any of the comparisons to Bioshock outside the art deco + some UI elements, are just things Bioshock took from System Shock, while Prey takes elements only System Shock 1-2 had.

The inventory management, the way so much interface is built into machines or objects you interact directly with your cursor like 90s PC game mouse-driven GUIs, the game being more systems driven in general, the bigger horror vibe on a space station ransacked by aliens like a virus, etc. is System Shock.

It's not even technically an abandoned perfect society if your read the history posters of the station in the demo, but it does involve a questionable corporation pushing for healthcare consumer products like System Shock 2's backstory.

You awaken to amnesia with cybernetic implants inside you, you are guided by a female AI, and a giant screen plasters "Looking Glass" not Irrational Games in red
...if that's not the most flagrant attempt to make a spiritual successor to System Shock, I don't know what is.

never played System Shock but i've played Bioshock, and it SCREAMS Bioshock.

from the desolate utopia, to the powers, the art decor, the audio logs, the mysterious voice guiding you, mechanical tools as melee weapons, etc.

When i said I wanted a third (fouth) bioshock in space, I didn't ask for the unoriginal idea of "make Bioshock 1 in space". Yeah I know its Prey, but the original idea for Prey 2 also seemed much more interesting in its surface and demos they showed. This only shows me that 2K marin are probably going the same route of a popular but unoriginal idea for the new Bioshock.

I wanted to change like Infinity, and not use art deco just becuase the first game was so popular and thats what people are reminded when they think Bioshock. Make something like 50's vision of sci fi and space travel to the moon, like Disneyland's old tomorrowland.

But probably ok for people who wanted the exact same thing again or a sequel to system shock with Bioshock 1 visuals, and im sure it will be agreat game.
Im still sad I will probably never get a complete new idea for a game that still uses the lighthouse imagery but in a different way from the other 2 games.

pa22word

You can't dismiss the System Shock 2 influence like that, sorry. Bioshock is a spiritual successor/influenced by that game.

Prey's vibe is much more similar to SS2 than Bioshock.

Spiritual successor is being rather kind. It's effectively a remake of ss2 that no one really noticed at the time because it was the first taste of that type of experience console players got. Personally I find bioshock the hardest of the bs series to go back to for that reason. I've only replayed it once in the years since, while I've probably beaten bs2 6 times and I even played infinite 3 times despite really hating a large chunk of that game.

It's like I build myself up to play it again, and then go "okay I'm going down that road but why do I want to play this again when SS2 is so much better?" Then I just reinstall ss2 again and play it instead. Not that bioshock is a bad game or anything like some in the fan base seem to think, but while it was flashy and pretty at the time long term I don't see it having much legs as a classic because it's simply too derivative literally to a fault of ss2 (like, seriously beat for beat bs1 stumbles and falls in the same exact areas ss2 does). That's just my opinion of course, and the remastered version being such a shit sandwhich (or was, dunno if they ever got around to fixing it's plethora of issues yet) gave me another excuse not to replay it when the timing felt right.

Like even the gameplay isn't enough when bs2 exists and does everything a thousand times better. It just feels like the oddball out in the series, stuck between wanting to be the systems driven rpg that ss2 was and the balls out shooting masterpiece secret clive barkers undying sequel no one noticed came out that bs2 is.

Woo-Fu

Banned
People should stop mentioning the art deco as some sort of tie to Bioshock. I could make an art deco Tetris, it wouldn't be gameplay similar to Bioshock. It is about how you play it, not how it is skinned.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People should stop mentioning the art deco as some sort of tie to Bioshock. I could make an art deco Tetris, it wouldn't be gameplay similar to Bioshock. It is about how you play it, not how it is skinned.

You're probably right. In the same way I've heard we should not call something a "walking simulator". In its own right, its its own IP.

Regardless if they used a similar graphical feature on a game engine or other art program. But in all honesty if something looks exactly like Borderlands (cell shading) then it's pretty easy to make a connection to the art style. If the guns are big and robust and he's spreading his fingers like he has plasmids then I'd assume someone would say something. That's at least my two cents. It's still it's own IP and will probably deliver some twist and turns along the way.

This probably gets in John Carmack's defense of one work of fiction inspired the one before it. Not in the same way if went down, but by closing that door between similar details.

Top Bottom