• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So are we 100% sure PREY is not actually a new Bioshock?

Niwa

Due to this thread my absolute no interest for Prey has shot through the roof to a can't wait.

Love System Shock, Love BioShock, this looks great.

You're underwater... But in space!
UUpaibc.png

Are they actually going the immersive sim route with this? Because damn I'm playing Mankind Divided right now and I want another more modern IS.

Yes. You can explore anywhere across the space station (Not level-based like Dishonored), you got human and alien abilities that lets you mix up encounters or solve problems in any way you see fit (Wanna turn into a coffee cup to enter a locked security station? You can)

You know you're old when you hear the Bioshock term being thrown around for Prey instead of recognizing it as the immersive sim genre (Deus Ex, System shock).

Prey is being made by Arkane and industry vets, no doubt. Including those from Bioshock. It's going to be good.

Auctopus

Pretty sure Arkane has ex-Irrational people on their team, hence why Dishonored has a similar artstyle as well.

I think its influences lie with System Shock 2 though more than Bioshock.

Yes. You can explore anywhere across the space station (Not level-based like Dishonored), you got human and alien abilities that lets you mix up encounters or solve problems in any way you see fit (Wanna turn into a coffee cup to enter a locked security station? You can)

Gah. You guys are making me too excited for this.

Stoze

By the way, PC Gamer recently put up a round table discussion about immersive sims featuring these guys:
Warren Spector
Steve Gaynor
Harvey Smith
Ricardo Bare
Tom Francis
Wes Fenlon
I thought it was a fantastic listen, there's some stuff in there about Prey's design as well. Harvey said Prey (this new one) was the best thing he's ever played, though he's obviously a tad biased.

Also, anyone who things System Shock 2 is easy to go back to now, especially if you haven't been exposed to anything really like it before, is delusional.
I played SS2 for the first time last year and it 100% held up, but there's definitely a few things in there that were smartly streamlined for Bioshock.

You know you're old when you hear the Bioshock term being thrown around for Prey instead of recognizing it as the immersive sim genre (Deus Ex, System shock).

Prey is being made by Arkane and industry vets, no doubt. Including those from Bioshock. It's going to be good.

To be fair, not a lot of people played System Shock 1/2 and Deus Ex didn't age well. And the art-style of Talos-1 space station does resemble Bioshock in some ways.

Gah. You guys are making me too excited for this.

You're welcome. Mind you, I didn't play the game personally, but I've been keeping a close eye on it. So if you have any questions about Prey, feel free to ask.

Screw this game now.

Relax. 0451 is code for Morgan's office

hotcyder

The race to a System Shock 2 successor/sequel has resulted in a lot of great games

Bioshock
Dead Space
Deus Ex

This new Prey game especially

DOWN

Banned
BioShock had some familiar themes and more from System Shock, but it was brilliantly original in presentation, visual art, setting, and voice acting. Prey already loses impact for being derivative, but it can still be great if it packs surprising punch in some other new way.

I had no idea this game even existed. Wtf? I remember the Prey 2 CGI trailer all those years ago, and now this is a reboot? Where the hell have I been?

But the game looks pretty damn good! I really hope there's VR support at some point, it looks like it would be an amazing game in VR.

Mr. Tibbs

We generally think it's a good name, but admittedly, it's a completely different animal from the 2006 game. There's a Polygon article here where Pete and Raf talk about the title, but having spent a lot of time reading through Prey posts, it sounds like it's going to be a sticking point.

To be fair, Pete and Raf have no qualms lying to interviewers, so that Polygon interview isn't very reassuring.

You guys called Arkane's game Prey because it would be "adding risk to the challenge of growth," and you would lose the name if you didn't use it. After Zenimax attempted to bankrupt Human Head Studios, the series creators, when they refused to sell to Zenimax, you had to start over again or the rights would revert to Radar Group/Scott Miller.

robin2

No, because it's a real immersive sim.
This. If it only was lie Bioshock, that would be a huge disappointment.
AFAIK, sadly, they dropped several things because they were deemed "too hardcore":
[...]Also, them removing the "too hardcore" elements (injuries, weapon degradation, oxygen levels) is really disappointing; just look at how anemic the Scientist skill tree looks now.[...]
So yeah, now it could really be nothing more than "bioshock in space".

AFAIK, sadly, they dropped several things because they were deemed "too hardcore":

So yeah, now it could really be nothing more than "bioshock in space".
They said a dozen of times they wanna add them (weapon degradation, trauma system) back to the game (As an optional difficulty setting at the very least), so it's not like they removed them forever.

But let's be honest, weapon degradation is crutch rather than a fun mechanic most of the time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You guys called Arkane's game Prey because it would be "adding risk to the challenge of growth," and you would lose the name if you didn't use it. After Zenimax attempted to bankrupt Human Head Studios, the series creators, when they refused to sell to Zenimax, you had to start over again or the rights would revert to Radar Group/Scott Miller.

A trademark expiring due to non-use doesn't mean the IP rights have been relinquished. That's just a rather common misunderstanding.

Mr. Tibbs

A trademark expiring due to non-use doesn't mean the IP rights have been relinquished. That's just a rather common misunderstanding.

The rights would revert back to Radar Group if certain conditions weren't met within a specific time frame. That's why Pete refused to say Prey 2 was cancelled until late 2012, despite the game being shelved in mid-2012.

Still upset that the protag of the new Prey isn't even Native American. That was my favorite aspect of Prey (2006). The cool Native American lore tied into the game made it really special.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The rights would revert back to Radar Group if certain conditions weren't met within a specific time frame. That's why Pete refused to say Prey 2 was cancelled until late 2012, despite the game being shelved in mid-2012.

The source of that information is apparently a GAFer's post, who claimed to have a source within Bethesda, but it would only make sense if the IP were licensed rather than purchased, and it was purchased.

Edit: Actually, this is the pertinent quote:

... Prey 2 is a strange IP though, since it was Bethesda's only sequel at the time and previously owned by the Radar Group. ...

Both Doom 4 and Wolfenstein's rights were purchased along with iD Software. There's no reverting of ownership after no use. Prey 2 on the other hand could revert back to the Radar Group if it's not used by a certain time or declared cancelled.

There never was a Prey 2 IP; Prey 2 was part of the Prey IP, just as Doom 2 and Doom 3 are members of the Doom family. I mean, there is some nuance in that owning an IP doesn't necessarily mean you own the games themselves (e.g. the situation with Bayonetta, where Sega owns the IP but Nintendo owns Bayonetta 2 in particular as it funded development), however he's unmistakably talking about brand ownership rather than copyright. Additionally, the implication that Doom and Wolfenstein could potentially revert back to id if the studio weren't part of the Zenimax stable makes it quite clear he was getting his wires crossed with trademark expiration (not that an expired trademark automatically reverts to the previous owner).

sn00zer

Finally got my hands on this and I was totally wrong, I apologize.

Could argue it's lightly inspired by Bioshock in many ways, but the wood paneled 80 office feel is pretty damn awesome and the pace is much slower and more exploratory than Bioshock.

Feels really unique and actually a pretty huge step beyond Bioshock with the RPG elements and open world.

So yeah don't judge a book by its cover I guess, rely love the style it has.

Eusis

Finally got my hands on this and I was totally wrong, I apologize.

Could argue it's lightly inspired by Bioshock in many ways, but the wood paneled 80 office feel is pretty damn awesome and the pace is much slower and more exploratory than Bioshock.

Feels really unique and actually a pretty huge step beyond Bioshock with the RPG elements and open world.

So yeah don't judge a book by its cover I guess, rely love the style it has.
So it is Bioshock as it could have been, perhaps SHOULD have been, but not as it became?

The demo does give the impression of going in the direction I'd have wanted Infinite to go instead, gameplay wise. Partially anyway, I'd like the existing civilization bit that goes a bit crazy at times, or is more Wild West then hell hole.

A new BioShock. A new System Shock. Maybe it's a PreyShock.

Yeah, it feels like a new System Shock to me as well. This should come to no surprise though, as Dishonored 1 and 2 are essentially spiritual successors to the original Thief series. Arkane Studios is following in the footsteps of Looking Glass.

Piggus

Whatever it is, it's certainly nothing like Prey. I still can't believe nobody wanted to pick up where Prey 1 left off. First we get a game that at least had some connection to the original. It gets cancelled, and now we have a new System Shock. That's fine, but it's certainly not Prey.

Whatever it is, it's certainly nothing like Prey. I still can't believe nobody wanted to pick up where Prey 1 left off. First we get a game that at least had some connection to the original. It gets cancelled, and now we have a new System Shock. That's fine, but it's certainly not Prey.

Neither was Prey 2, as awesome as it looked. Could have easily been a brand new IP.

True, though story-wise it was connected to Prey at least.

Tommy entered the portal and was never heard from again. The end.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when devs take a series in a new direction, especially when it looks as unique as that game did. I wish more publishers would embrace that level of risk and creativity when it comes to established IP.

Due to this thread my absolute no interest for Prey has shot through the roof to a can't wait.

Love System Shock, Love BioShock, this looks great.

Yo same here! I thought it was supposed to be another horror game, which I have no interest in. The screenshots look beautiful and the premise I just read about it sounds interesting.

Does it have nothing to do with original prey? If it doesn't why are they using the name. I was hoping for a sequel to it I loved the native American protagonist.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Still upset that the protag of the new Prey isn't even Native American. That was my favorite aspect of Prey (2006). The cool Native American lore tied into the game made it really special.

ah, now I remember Prey besides vagina doors. Man, it was a bore. This, however, looks like it has a chance of being an actual decent game

chemicals

both the original 2006 Prey game and the original Bioshock are timeless classics. Since you have compared the new game to both classics, I am now interested. Oh god I love the original Prey. so good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember getting the original Prey on release. Attack of the Show's Kevin Pereira had the original game reserved for quite a long time. I remember it had been in development for 10 years or something.

I was sad they canned Prey 2 at one time, but in all honesty this is much better than what they wanted to do if you ask me.

IMG_2942.jpg

BioShock/System Shock/etc or not, the sci-fi element in space sounds awesome. I'm looking forward to it.

It sorta reminded of when X-Com was once a FPS.

Van Bur3n

At first, I was rather cynical at it appearing uninspired in just being a blatant System Shock game. Then upon actually playing it and it feeling like a System Shock game, I am actually okay with this.

tuxfool

Banned
I was sad they canned Prey 2 at one time, but in all honesty this is much better than what they wanted to do if you ask me.

IMG_2942.jpg

BioShock/System Shock/etc or not, the sci-fi element in space sounds awesome. I'm looking forward to it.

It sorta reminded of when X-Com was once a FPS.

Nope.

Prey 2 seemed like one of a kind. This seems like knockoff System Shock, which is fine, but feels like a lesser idea.

At this point, they make as well make Prey into an anthology series

Top Bottom