• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So are we 100% sure PREY is not actually a new Bioshock?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
One of the video previews had someone trying to input 0451 on the first safe in the game and it didn't work, at which point I threw my computer out the window in disgust
I watched a portion at PAX and it had a 0451 safe code

It also looked ALOT like Bioshock.

Zeneric

prey is the next big fps game uh (more like immersive sim but it's still fps to me). been itching to play a new single player fps game since titanfall 2 (last jan), or resident evil 7 if that counts as a fps game (i dont think it does).

robotrock

Banned
Arkane hired some of Irrational after they shut down. I don't know how many. I just know that Shawn Elliott went to work at Arkane as a lead level designer after Bioshock Infinite.

Gator86

I guess people here are doing the thing where they pretend Bioshock wasn't amazing. All praise be to 90s PC games and scorn to everything after.

That said, I'm excited for Prey. Immersive sims can't come out frequently enough and everything they've shown on this game looks terrific.

Teeth

The fact that we've gotten three full on AAA immersive sims (DX:MD, Dishonored 2, and Prey) in the span of a year is kind of amazing, considering the state and direction of the industry.

Now we can watch as they all underperform and go years without another.
System Shock 3 is coming, but I don't know if it qualifies as AAA

Teeth

I have never heard the term "immersive sim" before this thread

I personally think it's a bad genre description, but it's easier to say than "first person action stealth with light rpg elements semi open world with environmental interaction and cause and effect systems game".

I believe it was coined for Deus Ex, but there are examples or progenitors that existed before.

People saying Bioshock instead of System Shock makes me feel old. D:

I'm a fan of the System Shock series too, but as the OP notes there is some genuine Bioshock in here. The art style, powers, and apparent political setting all scream Bioshock more than System Shock. I suppose you could argue how much of that is Bioshock and how much is just Arkane, but then we'd be getting into whether Bioshock influenced Dishonored and I personally have no idea.

The Dead Space comparisons are what throws me, because outside of a few elements (the lighting, the interface, no focus on AI, dismemberment gameplay) that game essentially was System Shock 2 mixed with RE4. I'm not sure about AI, but the rest of that stuff is clearly lacking from Prey.

Chris_C

I had that thought the instant I saw the first footage. As someone who has never been able to get into Bioshock, this lowered my interest greatly.

gfxtwin

It's made by Arkane who are basically from the same school of game design as Warren Spector and Ken Levine. Dishonored might be considered a peer to Bioshock, System Shock, Deus Ex, etc. Like how Soulsbourne action games are a style/subgenre of third person action, the same is true of the Shock games to the FPS genre, so there's going to be some similarities and crossover at first but from the sound of it there will also be a lot of content unique to Prey.

Please OP, go play System Shock 2 if you haven't. It just sounds like you didn't, and if that's the case you're doing yourself a disservice. I've played both (Bioshock 1 first), by the way, and love them equally.

But yeah, Prey looks incredible. I'm going to wait for release impressions, but I can see myself buying it near launch. As bad as I feel for fans of the original, this looks like a game I'll love.

No lie
when i watched that 15 gameplay, all i could think about was how this could have been a Bioshock sequel or what i imagined it could be.

and its also much more similar to Bioshock than Prey (at least from what's been showed)
so there's that

gfxtwin

Please OP, go play System Shock 2 if you haven't. It just sounds like you didn't, and if that's the case you're doing yourself a disservice. I've played both (Bioshock 1 first), by the way, and love them equally.

To be fair those games are kinda rough now and hard to go back to, but fortunately there are remakes of System Shock 1 and 2 on the way and Warren Spector is back working on a third.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
��

It's a casualized implementation of System Shock, but not to the same extent as BioShock, if that makes more sense.

The abilities also match up more to a mix System Shock's concepts and Dishonored than what you have in BioShock.

To be fair those games are kinda rough now and hard to go back to, but fortunately there are remakes of System Shock 1 and 2 on the way and Warren Spector is back working on a third.

Theres no remake of System Shock 2. Theres nothing hard about going back to System Shock 2. Noyhing at all. It plays good and its better than everything today. The more rough one is System Shock, which has a gog re-release which adds mouse look, so thats good. Thats the one that has a remake, but the devs seem to want to redesign it for a "modern audience". Not to mention they're trying to force a game that originally uses more than half a keyboard into consoles and controllers. Who knows what a mess that'll be. The new projects from Otherside seem to be going so bad and slow, i wouldnt get excited for a new System Shock at this point. Its gonna take a gazzilion years and be very low budget, from the look of things so far

arcticice

Yup pretty sure. because Bioshock is a really good game. and Prey just looks bad. I mean aesthetics are same, sure, but there is nothing appealing about that game

Theres no remake of System Shock 2. Theres nothing hard about going back to System Shock 2. Noyhing at all. It plays good and its better than everything today. The more rough one is System Shock, which has a gog re-release which adds mouse look, so thats good. Thats the one that has a remake, but the devs seem to want to redesign it for a "modern audience". Not to mention they're trying to force a game that originally uses more than half a keyboard into consoles and controllers. Who knows what a mess that'll be. The new projects from Otherside seem to be going so bad and slow, i wouldnt get excited for a new System Shock at this point. Its gonna take a gazzilion years and be very low budget, from the look of things so far

I don't really think this is an issue here, SS1 at its core is a mechanically simple game. Pretty much all of the (mechanical) complexity comes from the clunky UI and proto-mouselook controls.

Like, I don't think anybody's going to complain if the remake doesn't have 19 seperate keys dedicated to movement and posture (most of which were impossible to use anyways since you always needed one hand on the mouse).

gfxtwin

Well I feel like between easy access to the originals on Steam, the remake of first and second (the team remaking the original say they plan to do the second if it is a success), the fact that System Shock 3 is in development (with a team lead by the guy who founded the series) and Prey being out soon I feel pretty lucky right now as someone interested in the series. Admittedly, I missed out on the first two when they were released and tried playing them recently but they feel and look too antiquated IMO so I'm looking forward to all the upcoming releases.

Mr. Tibbs

Arkane hired some of Irrational after they shut down. I don't know how many. I just know that Shawn Elliott went to work at Arkane as a lead level designer after Bioshock Infinite.

He's not lead level designer, Rich Wilson is. A few of Infinite developers joined after Irrational "wound down" in early 2014.

Other than the art design, I see it more resembling System Shock. Also, 0451 is the code for Morgan's office

And are you guys serious with Dishonored comparisons? Aside from powers and character design, how exactly Prey is Dishonored in space? The structure of the game and the way the powers are designed clearly makes it different from Dishonored.

And no, there is no alternate timelines shit in Prey. You get to choose Morgan's gender and that's it.

Inorganic

According to Bioshock Infinite
"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city." If these constants are present in Prey, namely a lighthouse, it doesn't matter what the variables are, it could be in the Bioshock universe. Prey could be one of infinite possibilities.

CuNi

Still no clue why they went for PREY. No link with the first game but aliens.

And here I was worried it was only me. I don't even know why they went for that name. Maybe I am a bit salty because I really liked the original game and am just disappointed with the discontinuation of said game.
But can't shake the feeling this is the result when dishonored and bioshock had a baby..

100% this is the new Bioshock game not called Bioshock from not of the makers of Bioshock, System Shock, Ken Levine or published by 2K.

Like it's literally just using the word Prey to cash in on a familiar license, yet is doing nothing in the vein of the original. Prey should be Doom in space from my perspective, that's what made it si fun a throwback to old shooters, but now with Wolfenstein and the new Doom, Bethesda got take that Bioshock feel before 2K gets back to the punch and they have.

Prey 2 still looked more interesting but that's me, this game could be really good still it's just not jiving with me.

100% this is the new Bioshock game not called Bioshock from not of the makers of Bioshock, System Shock, Ken Levine or published by 2K.

Like it's literally just using the word Prey to cash in on a familiar license, yet is doing nothing in the vein of the original. Prey should be Doom in space from my perspective, that's what made it si fun a throwback to old shooters, but now with Wolfenstein and the new Doom, Bethesda got take that Bioshock feel before 2K gets back to the punch and they have.

Prey 2 still looked more interesting but that's me, this game could be really good still it's just not jiving with me.

Well, I sure hope the eventual Prey 2017 OT doesn't get infested with "Where's my Prey 2?" or "Why the name?" shitposting, but I'm expecting the worst.

Losing Prey 2 is a shame, but it would be nice not to bring it up in every thread related to Arkane's Prey

BasilZero

This looks amazing

Bioshock is one of my fav ips from last gen so will check this out.

Haven't played system shock though I do have the games, need to play them soon ;)

gstaff

Still no clue why they went for PREY. No link with the first game but aliens.

We generally think it's a good name, but admittedly, it's a completely different animal from the 2006 game. There's a Polygon article here where Pete and Raf talk about the title, but having spent a lot of time reading through Prey posts, it sounds like it's going to be a sticking point.

Maybe we can call the game something else here in the forums? I can talk to our artists about getting some official Gaf packaging. ;) Probably can't include System Shock in the name... or any references to MC Hammer.

Can't believe I missed the 0451 reference... that's something I talked to Harvey and Raf about a few years back at lunch in Austin.

Beyond the game title, let me know if there's our team can clarify.

We generally think it's a good name, but admittedly, it's a completely different animal from the 2006 game. There's a Polygon article here where Pete and Raf talk about the title, but having spent a lot of time reading through Prey posts, it sounds like it's going to be a sticking point.

Maybe we can call the game something else here in the forums? I can talk to our artists about getting some official Gaf packaging. ;) Probably can't include System Shock in the name... or any references to MC Hammer.

Can't believe I missed the 0451 reference... that's something I talked to Harvey and Raf about a few years back at lunch in Austin.

I mean it's a cool name, it's just weird they opted to use that trademark on something 100% unrelated to the original title, that's all. I don't think it's a big deal personally.

What about Typhon as a name? Sounds good? :p

Shredderi

Out of the last three prominent immersive sims (counting this one, Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex) this one looks the most interesting to me. Looks like it might do some interesting twists with it's narrative. I also like the aesthetics very much plus it has Mick Gordon doing the score. That's a lot of thing going for it already. It also seems to release at a reasonable time, or at least I can't think of anything else I might want when this releases.

HeatBoost

Prey features shape shifting black aliens of varying size that are out to eat your brain by attacking with claws teeth and tendrils

Clearly Prey is a Venom game

No, because it's a real immersive sim.

Are they actually going the immersive sim route with this? Because damn I'm playing Mankind Divided right now and I want another more modern IS.
Also, anyone who things System Shock 2 is easy to go back to now, especially if you haven't been exposed to anything really like it before, is delusional.

Top Bottom