• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void Beta Thread - Will You Be An Archon With Me?

rUcVmG8.jpg

Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void Beta Thread

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment
Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
Platforms: PC & Mac
Release Date: Beta - March 31, 2015, Release - TBA 2015
Price:
Standard Edition: 39.99$/39.99€/1000NTD/128¥
Digital Deluxe Edition: 59.99$/59.99€/1800NTD/188¥

XxcMXSU.png

Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void continues the epic saga of Korpulu Sector, after the events of Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm, it is now Protoss' turn to secure their fate. But the time is not there yet...

The multiplayer beta of Legacy of the Void starts on March 31th, 2015, the end date is not yet determined.
  • New units!
  • Old unit changes!
  • Economy changes!
  • Mechanics changes!
  • Archon mode!
  • Automatic tournaments!
  • And more!
PRE-ORDER

QqgImOl.png

The changes below reflects the initial build released on March 31st, 2015, for additional changes, read further below for each iteration of new balance changes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCj401zTugk

General Changes
Altering the number of resources at each base. Half the mineral patches have 1500 minerals, and the other half have 750.
The starting worker count has been increased to 12.
Scan range for ranged units has been improved.
Game speed altered to match that of real time.

Archon Mode
Archon Mode will be available for testing out of the gate! In a fashion similiar to Brood War's beloved Team Melee, two players can team up to control one force on 1v1 maps against another team of two players.

Balance Changes

AqlhcmL.png

New Units

Adept
xp72fB7.png

The Adept is a core gateway unit with a ground-only ranged attack and normal movement speed. This unit utilizes its Psionic Transfer ability to teleport to nearby locations.

Psionic Transfer: Sends out a copy of the Adept that is controlled independently but cannot attack or be attacked. After a fixed duration the Adept will teleport to the location of the copy as it expires.

Disruptor

1qLBlbB.png

The Disruptor is a light-mechanical unit from the Robotics Facility whose ability, ‘Purification Nova’, can deal a massive burst of AoE splash damage if an opponent does not counter-micro. The Disruptor is extremely potent versus any force that clumps it's units together, as well as against worker lines.

Purification Nova: Once activated, the Disruptor becomes invulnerable and gains increased movement speed. After 4 seconds, the Disruptor emits a massive blast dealing AoE damage in a circle and immediately becomes vulnerable again, also losing its speed boost.

Existing Units And Other Changes

Warp-in Mechanic
Units that are warping-in have become more vulnerable while constructing. The goal of this change is to strengthen harassing tactics versus Protoss, while also making a Protoss player’s army and warp-in positioning a more tactical decision.

Warp Prism
To strengthen the harassment options available to Protoss, the Warp Prism can now pick-up units from a distance.

Immortal
In order to create more opportunities for Terran Mech, and to increase the impact of micro, the Immortal’s ‘Hardened Shield’ ability has been removed and replaced with ‘Barrier’, an activated ability which grants the Immortal a limited hit-point shield.

Oracle
To create more diversity in Protoss detection, Revelation has been removed and merged with Envision so that any targets tagged are now revealed for 60 seconds. The oracle has also been granted a new active ability called ‘Stasis Ward’.

Stasis Ward: This ability places a cloaked Stasis Ward on the ground which, upon detonation, will explode and trap nearby enemy units in stasis for 30 seconds.

Tempest
To help incentivize action, the Tempest has had its role changed to an aerial skirmish unit – its movement speed has been increased, it can now only fire on ground units, and it has been granted an activated ability called ‘Disintegration’ which deals damage over time.

Carrier
Carriers can now activate ‘Release Interceptors’ to permanently launch all interceptors at great distance. After 60 seconds, any remaining Interceptors will perish.

8LNTijk.png

New Units

Cyclone

5X6btBS.png

The Cyclone is a factory unit which can lock onto a target, then deal massive damage over time while on the move.

Using the cyclone to its full potential and reacting to it well are both heavily dependent on micro.

New Terran Unit
We’re also in the process of exploring a second new unit for Terran. We’d like to avoid something from the Factory, as that building already has quite a few units already. Instead, we’re looking at adding a Barracks unit, Starport unit, or possibly even a new building altogether. Our initial idea is that we’ll see the interactions of various changes to the game, and try to locate something interesting and fun for this slot during the beta.

Existing Units

Battlecruiser
The Battlecruiser has been granted the ‘Tactical Jump’ ability, allowing it to teleport anywhere on the map (regardless of fog of war) at a very high energy cost.

Siege Tank
To coincide with Legacy of the Void’s focus on harass and aggression, the Siege Tank has been granted the ability to be lifted and dropped while maintaining Siege Mode. Doing so requires the full cargo-space of a Medivac.

nJABIgk.png

New Units

Lurker
tP3Ltzm.png

The Lurker has returned. The Lurker is a Tier 2 unit which morphs from the Hydralisk. It deals line-based splash damage, but can only attack while burrowed. The Lurker has an available Tier 3 upgrade which substantially increases its attack range.

Ravager
Pnbs0xa.png

The Ravager is a new unit which morphs off of the Roach. While stronger than the roach, its effectiveness heavily relies on player micro due to its activated ability: Corrosive Bile.

Corrosive Bile: Corrosive Bile is a mortar-style area of effect skill-shot which, once fired, impacts after a short delay. The ability can hit both air and ground units, and also will destroy any forcefields it comes in contact with.

Existing Units

Corruptor
The Corruptor’s ‘Corruption’ ability has been removed and replaced with ‘Caustic Spray’. Caustic Spray is a channeled ability which deals increasing damage over time to the unit or building targeted. However, the Corruptor cannot move as it channels this spell.

Swarm Host
To strengthen Zerg harass, the Swarm Host has been shifted from a siege-tool, to a mobile harass tool. ‘Spawn Locusts’ can now be used while unburrowed, but it must be activated manually, and has a much longer cooldown. Locusts themselves have been buffed, and can be upgraded to fly over terrain. They must then swoop down to the ground to engage.

Nydus Worm
To enhance the diversity and strength of harass options for Zerg, the Nydus Worm can no longer take damage until it is finished unburrowing. A main effect of this change is that workers will no longer be a viable defense versus Nydus worms.

Viper
Looking at the viper, we wanted to add an ability that would counter that would counter mass air strategies. Introducing parasitic bomb. This ability places a damage over time effect on a targeted enemy air unit, dealing damage to it and any enemy units around it. If the target enemy unit dies, the parasitic bomb will remain in play for its full duration, continuing to deal damage to any enemy unit entering the targeted area.

Additional Balance Changes:
Balance Update: 4.14.2015
Balance Update: 4.27.2015
Balance Update: 5.11.2015
Balance Update: 5.21.2015
Balance Update: 6.12.2015
Balance Update: 6.18.2015
Patch 2.5.3: 7.13.2015

oQwusqx.png

Official Battle.Net Beta Annoucement and Information
Beta Patch Notes
How to Play LotV Beta Offline
In-Depth Impressions by Team Liquid Strategy Team

Lethe82

Banned
Fantastic, for anyone that kind of got burned out on SCII, Blizzard is basically killing hard counters, and adjusting the economy to be much more like BW (you mine half your minierals faster) promoting expansion and map control while weakening death ball play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Flying tanks for terran?

kim plz

calder

Patiently waiting for beta. ;)

Archie mode looks fun, I'm already really enjoying watching ppl stream it.

VASPER

Banned
Signed up for the beta but i am stuck watching pros stream it until they let poor plats like me in the beta.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Waiting to get my beta invite so that I can remember how bad I am at this game.

Should be fun!

Man I want an invite so bad! :(

I hope SC2 GAF comes together again to play. Especially now with Archon mode letting some of the newer players team up to play.

Speaking of that, when you play Archon mode, does it have to be where both teams are in Archon mode? Or can 1 side have 2 players playing as Archon style while the other plays solo.

Anyways I hope the Terran unit will be an air unit to deal with mutalisks and chase down oracles.

Some thoughts from the streams I watched.

The Tank pick up is really powerful but I hope they keep it while nerfing it. Medivac should have less movement speed while carrying a tank and can't use boost, maybe the tank should have a delay before its allowed to fire if its been dropped off.

Cyclone needs nerfs but I really like it! :D

Disruptor is just LOL and I'm interested to see what Blizz does with that unit.

Adepts are pretty balanced surprisingly compared to all the changes older units recieved and the new units.

Ravagars are pretty sick but they might have to slow the rate of fire for them or lower the blast radius for splash damage.

Haven't seen the other units all too much to make a decision.

Lethe82

Banned
I'm a fan of the minus 20% Colossus damage. How does that work out in terms of hits?

xp72fB7.png

I really like the Adept design but I'm not so sold on how the unit functions, it's basically a reaper with worse jump/movement and better damage against workers etc.

I'm a fan of the minus 20% Colossus damage. How does that work out in terms of hits?

xp72fB7.png

I really like the Adept design but I'm not so sold on how the unit functions, it's basically a reaper with worse jump/movement and better damage against workers etc.
It is 12x2 right now, also the range is nerfed to 8 after Extended Thermal Lance.
Man I want an invite so bad! :(

I hope SC2 GAF comes together again to play. Especially now with Archon mode letting some of the newer players team up to play.

Speaking of that, when you play Archon mode, does it have to be where both teams are in Archon mode? Or can 1 side have 2 players playing as Archon style while the other plays solo.

Anyways I hope the Terran unit will be an air unit to deal with mutalisks and chase down oracles.

Some thoughts from the streams I watched.

The Tank pick up is really powerful but I hope they keep it while nerfing it. Medivac should have less movement speed while carrying a tank and can't use boost, maybe the tank should have a delay before its allowed to fire if its been dropped off.

Cyclone needs nerfs but I really like it! :D

Disruptor is just LOL and I'm interested to see what Blizz does with that unit.

Adepts are pretty balanced surprisingly compared to all the changes older units recieved and the new units.

Ravagars are pretty sick but they might have to slow the rate of fire for them or lower the blast radius for splash damage.

Haven't seen the other units all too much to make a decision.
Archon mode is in matchmaking and you need a team of two to queue so yeah you can only play with another Archon team, dunno about custom game tho.

Lethe82

Banned
I'd like it if you could up the amount per team to like 4, or even have a player on each team that is a commander of sorts, Winter was streaming a game where he was issuing orders to 4 players controlling 1 'player' versus another team and it was pretty cool.

Lethe82

Banned
holy shit lurkers are back

I've died many a time to lurker play in the HotS LotV custom, and once you upgrade their range they can act as Siege units to any structure/static D in the game.

It is 12x2 right now, also the range is nerfed to 8 after Extended Thermal Lance.

It seems like everyone playing in the beta so far is defaulting to Disruptors, but Colossus seem like they would still wreck a lot of things and provide a more reliable backbone, Disruptors seem like they'd function best to harass, pre break bunkers, and as a complement to the Protoss army that forces a lot of concave ruining micro from the other player (being a 'disruptive' unit, haha), not as a pure replacement for slightly nerfed Colossus.

Then again I'm not in the beta :p

Lethe82

Banned
ADEPT versus HYDRALISK

I did not realize that upon killing a unit they did bounce damage, that's actually really cool; as good as they look in that close up their stance and animations in game are even cooler. Target firing other units in low numbers will create a lot of lot of manual target priority for the player controlling the adept and counter micro for the opposing player. I keep thinking that their giant gun/shield should also grant them some sort of ability that functioned like Forcefield (giving them large DR, blocking, or some sort of knockback, but unable to attack) but I don't know how practical that would be in game.

I'd love to see an Adept put into Heroes of the Storm.

Full David Kim (senior Balance designer) informal LotV interview @ WCS Premiere League Finals

ADEPT versus HYDRALISK

I did not realize that upon killing a unit they did bounce damage, that's actually really cool; as good as they look in that close up their stance and animations in game are even cooler. Target firing other units in low numbers will create a lot of lot of manual target priority for the player controlling the adept and counter micro for the opposing player. I keep thinking that their giant gun/shield should also grant them some sort of ability that functioned like Forcefield (giving them large DR, blocking, or some sort of knockback, but unable to attack) but I don't know how practical that would be in game.

I'd love to see an Adept put into Heroes of the Storm.

Full David Kim (senior Balance designer) informal LotV interview @ WCS Premiere League Finals

The new air unit sounds neat.

Lethe82

Banned
The new air unit sounds neat.

It does, hopefully it has a sweet Russian female Accent and the Terran race cements itself for having an all female air core. XD

Having watched a lot of LoTV I kind of miss the slower start up time from the slower economy. It feels like there's no real early game anymore because you get to what is considered the mid game in an instant. Maybe it will change as people get more experience, but Cyclones just killing zerg units (regardless of nerfs that will likely appear) just isn't nearly as interesting as the unit interactions that exist in TvZ in Hots.Early days of the beta yet, still!

I kind of hope that the Cyclone doesn't make it in, it's such a deathball unit and not very interesting.

McDonald's LotV Archon showmatch (MMA & CranK vs. CatZ & Hydra) in 1 hour

I assume I'll get beta code pretty soon.

Got into the Heart of the Swarm beta pretty damn fast :)

Gave me a huge leg up online for a few weeks lol!

Mr Swine

Banned
Hmmm I want to get into the beta, I bought the Blizzcon Virtual Tickets last year :(

I keep hearing that Cyclone and Lurker will be cut since Cyclone is OP (more than Warhound) and Lurkers are hard to get and that Ravagers fill its role :/

Mr Swine

Banned
They've said the next wave will focus on invites for BlizzCon attendees and virtual ticket holders, so hopefully soon.

Oh nice, I really hope it's everyone so there can be better balance and see how the lower league players handle the new changes :)

Harlock

Will help casual players a lot. Most people are afraid of on-line. Is really hard to manage everything fast in real time. Don´t know about competitive scene.

It looks like a much needed injection SC2 needed.

Some of the new units are still a bit iffy, but at least it's something different to talk about.

Lethe82

Banned
It looks like a much needed injection SC2 needed.

Some of the new units are still a bit iffy, but at least it's something different to talk about.

Legacy of the Void Beta: Balance Update Preview

We’d like to offer some details on what you can expect in the first balance update for the Legacy of the Void beta. Before we get into the specifics, we’d like to point out a couple things.

Map Diversity
First, let’s review maps in Legacy of the Void. We’d like to have even greater map diversity, especially in terms of rush maps vs. uber macro maps, as our current beta maps show. Our idea here is to create more strategic variety and if a race is found lacking in a particular area, we can make changes to that race during the beta to address it. An example of why we think this will be a good approach can be seen in ZvZ. On normal maps or rush maps, Roaches are probably the best option in the early and mid-game. However, imagine a really big macro map such as the one we’re currently testing in the beta. Mobile units such as Zerglings or Mutalisks can be more viable than they are in HotS even without any changes to the unit stats. One example of something we may need to work on is a Protoss player’s ability to take fifth, sixth, or further expansions on these really huge maps.

Assessing Unit/Ability Strength
We’d also like to share our thoughts regarding players labeling units or abilities as overpowered. We don’t want to be too quick to nerf everything that people initially consider overpowered. As we know from past experience, it can take quite some time for players to adapt to fighting against new, powerful units. We’d really like to preserve the strong units as much as we can, and mostly focus on buffing other areas rather than nerfing the new units. For example, ZvP is probably leaning in Zerg’s favor right now, especially on bigger maps. Some of this is due to Ravager strength, and some of it is due to Protoss having a more difficult time spreading out over the map compared to Zerg. Instead of nerfing Ravagers right away, or Zerg’s ability to expand, we’d like to first explore buffs/changes on the Protoss side that allow Protoss to function better in these larger maps.

With that said, let’s get into the specific changes we’re thinking about for the first balance update. Unlike the live game, we’ll be applying balance updates directly to the beta client without trying them out on a balance test map first. The main reason for this approach is to get quicker turnaround on testing new things.

Adept

Health changed from 80/60 to 90/90.
Adept upgrade changed to a health upgrade instead of the bounce damage: adds 50 Shields to Adepts.
Adept can cancel the Shade ability at any time. When you cancel, the Shade disappears and you don’t teleport.
Our goal for this unit remains unchanged. We want a unit that’s good in early game harassment, which can also serve as a core army unit in the mid/late-game. The health change is because the Adept is much weaker than we expected out of the box. We want smaller numbers of Adepts to be viable in the early-game depending on how the opponent opens the game. We also hope that with this change, Protoss can take expansions a bit quicker and keep up with the other two races in terms of economy.

The change to the Adept upgrade is because the bounce attack wasn’t getting the micro interactions we were looking for. What we really want out of this upgrade is for Adepts to function well as a core part of the army. The current ability is too pointed towards low health units, but we wanted a more general combat buff. Therefore, we would like to try out something more straightforward.

The final change is to provide more decision making and power to the player using the Adept’s Shade ability without making it similar to Blink. The most common feedback we hear in this area is that players want to be able to control when the teleport happens, but we’d like to avoid that as that would make this ability more like Blink.

Immortal Barrier ability absorbs 200 (up from 100)
Our goal for the Immortal is for it to be more committed to in-combat situations depending on what the opponent is building. For example, if the Zerg player is going heavy Roach/Ravagers, Protoss can potentially opt to use multiple Robotics Facilities and use the Immortal as the core unit. We also would like to encourage more Immortal drop play in combination with the Warp Prism. Therefore, we decided to buff the Barrier ability to reward Protoss players who are able to utilize this ability properly, as well as reward the opposing player who is able to get around the shields during their short duration by focusing on units in combat.

Cyclone after lock-on range down from 15 to 12, but after the range upgrade, lock-on range goes back up to 15.
This change is really aimed towards getting more early-game Cyclone shot-dodging micro. Before things like unit speed upgrades and Blink come into play, the 15 range feels like it’s just a snipe ability. We’d like to try out this change in hopes of seeing more micro on both sides with early Cyclone usage.

Lurker starts off with 9 range, and upgrade is removed. Lurker attack is also more responsive after burrowing.
The Lurker feels buried at the moment, especially in ZvZ vs. Roaches where we’d really love to see more Lurker play. Against other races the steps needed to start using Lurkers also feels like too much. Hydralisk Den has to be upgraded to the Lurker Den, which also competes with the Hydralisk upgrade, Lurkers then need to be morphed and also research the upgrade before Lurkers are useful. We’d like to try out this change in order to see what happens when Lurker timing is sped up.

Tempest disintegration ability damage increased to 550, and units under the effect of disintegration can’t regenerate, heal, or repair health.
We’re seeing a lot of cool things with many of the end-game units, but the Tempest just doesn’t seem to have a clear role right now, especially vs. Terran as they can just repair through the damage. We really want to see how our initial direction with the new Tempest turns out and this change helps us further evaluate that. Once your units are tagged with Disintegration, you really have to decide if you’ll cut that loss and gain advantages elsewhere, engage in combat, or just decide to go for skirmish attacks during the 80 seconds you have.

Really disappointing if they take out Adept bounce, I really think the issue with the Adept not providing the micro they were hoping for had more to do with how the units cost/core abilities fit in the meta game at present and how the unit as a whole scales to the mid and late game, rather than bounce being a bad idea. I also don't really know if wanting it to be a 'core army comp unit' is all that vital. It seems like it should be a specialty unit, and if they do want it as a core army unit I'd prefer that they find a way to integrate without just making it an auto attack unit that will still be overshadowed by speed zealots and storm.

I think something in between like keeping the original stats and making bounce damage do 23 v all, or keeping the original stats and rolling the + 50 shields into the shock-wave upgrade would be good. I don't like the idea of being able to cancel the shade at any time, it removed the two sided micro battle between the Adept and the opposing player and just places 100% of the reaction commitment onto the defending player and opens up far too many 'haha you have no good option because I can now CHOOSE if I will teleport there or not' (if you don't commit the units I will, but if you do commit them way over there I can get gains with my adepts where they stand currently and hit you over here!) situations that make it feel too 'Protoss'. I want to play Protoss as a secondary race in the expansion because it seems like they are being given consequences to their choices, but if this were final it feel like more of the same that made them so infuriating in WoL and Hots.

Still, Beta!

Mr Swine

Banned
It saddens me that this thread is more or less dead :/ I really hope that blizzard gives me the beta soon, waiting is painful -_-

phoenixyz

It saddens me that this thread is more or less dead :/ I really hope that blizzard gives me the beta soon, waiting is painful -_-
Well, in the current streams you often see statistics like "12 games in your region" in the top right corner. Still pretty strict requirements.

Mr Swine

Banned
Well, in the current streams you often see statistics like "12 games in your region" in the top right corner. Still pretty strict requirements.

Probably too much I think, there aren't that many streamers that is playing the game like it was 2 weeks ago.

phoenixyz

Probably too much I think, there aren't that many streamers that is playing the game like it was 2 weeks ago.
I am sure Blizzard will open it up pretty fast once they ironed out the worst problems. I mean, the second Terran unit is still missing. That's pretty huge.

Mr Swine

Banned
I am sure Blizzard will open it up pretty fast once they ironed out the worst problems. I mean, the second Terran unit is still missing. That's pretty huge.

Yeah but the main problem like everything else is that it will probably be scrapped later in the beta since it will overlap Thors AA weapon. I really hope they redesign Thor to be a ground unit only while the new Valkyrie will take its role for AA

Top Bottom