• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Brakke

Banned
Are the controls awkward enough that I should wait for a patch or just say fuck it and but it when I get home?

The controls are frustrating because they're clearly not optimal, but they're tolerable. Just finished my first season on Switch after playing a ton on PC and I saw it's worth the frustration. Immediately turn off "controller style menus" and maybe turn on the thing that highlights which tile you're targeting.

This is probably a more important question but how are the story and characters? Not sure if I can motivate myself to play if I don’t like the town and it’s people

I thought they were charming. There's no real overall "story" but I dug most of the characters and a lot of them have cool individual storylines and events.

Ilive1up

I really need sprinklers but have no iron ore.

fishing is the best for cash it seems.

I also dont care about any of the NPC's so I'm kind of ignoring them. missed basically all birthdays in spring.

Just this second put it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGCfbSD0i5Y

With how many Switch games are releasing at the moment I tend to move onto the next thing pretty quickly (I have Yono, Fire Emblem Warriors and Neon Chrome to review) but I just can't shelve Stardew Valley. It's so good.

Haha! Thanks! Subscribed 😉 I saw your Switch games above show up in the Stardew review. That's a lot of games to review! Best of luck. Buying Stardew Valley asap btw 👍🏻

Vicious

I really need sprinklers but have no iron ore.

fishing is the best for cash it seems.

I also dont care about any of the NPC's so I'm kind of ignoring them. missed basically all birthdays in spring.

If you at least pay attention to their birthdays (by giving them something they like) and doing quests here and there, you will build friendships which is definitely worth it. You'll start getting gifts from people and lots of cutscenes start happening.

Lexxism

The controls are frustrating because they're clearly not optimal, but they're tolerable. Just finished my first season on Switch after playing a ton on PC and I saw it's worth the frustration. Immediately turn off "controller style menus" and maybe turn on the thing that highlights which tile you're targeting.
What does turning off the controller style menus do?

Brakke

Banned
What does turning off the controller style menus do?

You use the stick to pilot an on-screen cursor. Which sucks because it doesn't really have proper momentum and the UI elements generally aren't sized / positioned with an imprecise cursor in mind... but if you do controller-style menus, there are literally UI elements you won't be able to select at all.

You use the stick to pilot an on-screen cursor. Which sucks because it doesn't really have proper momentum and the UI elements generally aren't sized / positioned with an imprecise cursor in mind... but if you do controller-style menus, there are literally UI elements you won't be able to select at all.

Can't you use the right stick to select those things in controller style?

Fliesen

Damn it. I couldn't find the location of the Flower Dance for the life of me. I spent the entire day looking for it and accomplished nothing.

Looks like my character may have missed out on his shot at finding love at the big dance.

Guess I'll go tend to my potato crops. Alone.

It's better that you missed it. First flower dance normally ends in rejection.

i believe it's almost impossible to not be rejected at the first flower dance, as you need 4 hearts of friendship with a person for them to dance with you.
And since it's in week 4 of spring, you'll have to get there with only 8 gifts. So at least some of these need to be 'loved' by the recepient.

Damn it. I couldn't find the location of the Flower Dance for the life of me. I spent the entire day looking for it and accomplished nothing.

Looks like my character may have missed out on his shot at finding love at the big dance.

Guess I'll go tend to my potato crops. Alone.

The first year is more for figuring out what happens on town. Then the next year's you can participate more as you know what to expect (for example
have money for strawberry's
at the egg hunt).

Not everything is made to be accomplished in one year.

Who are the last 2 people in town and which one counts for the 28 people mission? One guy has dark hair that covers one eye, the other looks like a cowboy with a curvy hat

LegendX48

How, and I suppose what, is this game? Only ever had a passing interest in it but I'm a bit tempted to grab the Switch version as I'm hankering for a relaxing game but I have no idea if I'd like it.

Fireblend

Banned
I think I've hit a point where I'm pretty satisfied about my farm. Got plenty of crops, a coop full of chickens, a silo, beehouses, preserve jars, and a couple other things.

Are the 8-tile sprinklers the best ones? I made a mistake by crafting 3 of the 4-tile ones which sick, and even the 8 ones don't sound so good. Will I unlock better ones eventually?

So I'm on day 6.

I'm enjoying it a lot, but a little overwhelmed with how much I wanna do vs. my energy bar and time left in the day. Cleaning up my farm from all the weeds, wood and rocks along seems like is gonna be about a 2 week process.

Otherwise, really liking the slow-drip of unexpected stuff that the game is throwing at you. Also, goddamn Shane is a sour pickle.

Vicious

I think I've hit a point where I'm pretty satisfied about my farm. Got plenty of crops, a coop full of chickens, a silo, beehouses, preserve jars, and a couple other things.

Are the 8-tile sprinklers the best ones? I made a mistake by crafting 3 of the 4-tile ones which sick, and even the 8 ones don't sound so good. Will I unlock better ones eventually?

There are better sprinklers, though the 8-tile ones are still pretty decent. i like using the 4 tile ones for flowers with a combination of beehives.

Ventara

Who are the last 2 people in town and which one counts for the 28 people mission? One guy has dark hair that covers one eye, the other looks like a cowboy with a curvy hat

That's Sebastian and the wizard. Sebastian is the one who counts. He's the son of Robin and lives in the basement of their house.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i first had my eye on penny, but then i found out she lives in a trailer. i am such a fucking snob.

elliott is my jam then.

Coricus

The one you need to talk to is the guy with dark hair, his name is Sebastian.

He spends most of the day inaccessible, but I looked up his schedule for. . .reasons and most days you can find him at the lakeshore east of Robin's house with him starting to walk out there at 6:30 PM.

The other guy isn't important right now, you'll likely see him in a few days looking into something.

iLorah

Neo Member
Got this on Steam and put a few hours into it around launch. I kept meaning to come back to it and I've had an itch for an AC style game. Thought I'd hold off going back when I heard there was going to be a Switch release... I think I've already put more hours into the Switch version already....

Venfayth

How, and I suppose what, is this game? Only ever had a passing interest in it but I'm a bit tempted to grab the Switch version as I'm hankering for a relaxing game but I have no idea if I'd like it.

It's a farming sim like Harvest Moon, if you're familiar with how those games work.

You wake up every day at 6am, water your crops, forage for materials, organize your farm, go fishing, build relationships with npc villagers, maybe get married, explore caves and fight monsters, help rebuild a community center to support an organic small community or sell your soul (and the town) to a mega corporation, etc. You know, normal farming stuff.

Venfayth

First tool to upgrade? Pickaxe?

It depends, honestly. How big is your farm? If you're spending a lot of time watering your crops it can be worth it to upgrade your watering can first, especially if you get a convenient rain day to do so.

If you're not spending a ton of time watering, then probably the pickaxe in order to help you get through the mines quicker. There is also a reason you may want to upgrade your fire axe quickly as well.. But generally either your watering can or your pick are the recommendations most people make.

Vicious

I would say the watering can is definitely the first upgrade. You can get more crops going while you work on other stuff.

Lexxism

watering can obviously

It depends, honestly. How big is your farm? If you're spending a lot of time watering your crops it can be worth it to upgrade your watering can first, especially if you get a convenient rain day to do so.

If you're not spending a ton of time watering, then probably the pickaxe in order to help you get through the mines quicker. There is also a reason you may want to upgrade your fire axe quickly as well.. But generally either your watering can or your pick are the recommendations most people make.

Oh. How many days does it take to upgrade?

How many tiles does a copper watering can cover?

Brakke

Banned

The cowboy hat guy sends you a letter after you explore the Community Center. There’s an event with the mayor that unlocks to CC in the first week or so of the game.

So I'm on day 6.

I'm enjoying it a lot, but a little overwhelmed with how much I wanna do vs. my energy bar and time left in the day. Cleaning up my farm from all the weeds, wood and rocks along seems like is gonna be about a 2 week process.

Otherwise, really liking the slow-drip of unexpected stuff that the game is throwing at you. Also, goddamn Shane is a sour pickle.

Careful about knocking down trees on your farm. Trees periodically drop seeds which can grow into new trees. You get a better supply of lumber available if you only knock down a tree while there’s a sapling near it that will grow to replace it. Unless you’re actually using all the land on your farm, you shouldn’t clear cut it.

three in a row. just wait when it rains the next day, water your plants and take it into the shop.

Yeah. Or drop it off on the afternoon of the 27th some month because you don’t need to water on the 28th anyway.

The cowboy hat guy sends you a letter after you explore the Community Center. There’s an event with the mayor that unlocks to CC in the first week or so of the game.

Careful about knocking down trees on your farm. Trees periodically drop seeds which can grow into new trees. You get a better supply of lumber available if you only knock down a tree while there’s a sapling near it that will grow to replace it. Unless you’re actually using all the land on your farm, you shouldn’t clear cut it.

Yeah. Or drop it off on the afternoon of the 27th some month because you don’t need to water on the 28th anyway.

Thanks. I haven't gotten around to cutting the trees yet, so I'll keep this in mind.

LegendX48

It's a farming sim like Harvest Moon, if you're familiar with how those games work.

You wake up every day at 6am, water your crops, forage for materials, organize your farm, go fishing, build relationships with npc villagers, maybe get married, explore caves and fight monsters, help rebuild a community center to support an organic small community or sell your soul (and the town) to a mega corporation, etc. You know, normal farming stuff.
I've never played harvest moon but this seems like something I'd enjoy.

Jblanks

I got this game on PC after having built my PC like a week ago. I know this is the switch version OT but I'll be following along in here because it's a lot more active than the other OT. Game is awesome so far.

Amory

What constitutes income from farming, fishing, etc?

Is it all just based on what I put in that box in my yard? Because i harvested my first crops and sold them at the store and it didnt count as farming income. And ive caught and sold fish and that didnt count either

No idea if im doing anything "right" lol. I never have enough time or endurance to get anything done in a day

Hate to say it but I’ve only played a little bit. The extremely long save time really kills it. I’ll try it again once I finish Golf Story.

TehOh

Can anybody explain fishing like I'm an idiot. I feel like I'm just missing something and can't seem to get it right.

Top Bottom