• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

For the people playing it for the very first time, how are you enjoying it? How accessible/difficult are you finding it? Are there any major issues you’re having that hamper your enjoyment?

The game seems terrible at explaining pretty much anything. But that's ok because I don't feel punished for doing anything and not doing something else. I don't feel like I've fucked up anything or am doing the wrong thing. Loving the game.10 hours in.

Aku-Audi

Is anyone else experiencing scraping sound from their speakers when playing this? My wife is completely obsessed with the game now but sometimes the music produces some pretty annoying clipping and scraping sounds that causes her to just play without sound.

Have they mentioned how coop will work? Annoying as it is that you can't do it locally how does the game handle two ranchers?

I don't think I read up on anything as to how coop will work, but the way how I have it imagined is that it can do it the way Terraria does and two ranchers can work together in their own world/server. Or have it Animal Crossing City Folk or New Leaf style by having to take the bus or boat or open up some kind of gate to your friend's farm/town.

Is anyone else experiencing scraping sound from their speakers when playing this? My wife is completely obsessed with the game now but sometimes the music produces some pretty annoying clipping and scraping sounds that causes her to just play without sound.

This is completely normal for the time being. This was caught and the dev is working on a patch for this... hopefully soon because I can't stand the scratchiness either.

Dremorak

Banned
DL0QAnZU8AEVQZl.jpg

I found a great bug :D

Kouriozan

I don't think I read up on anything as to how coop will work, but the way how I have it imagined is that it can do it the way Terraria does and two ranchers can work together in their own world/server. Or have it Animal Crossing City Folk or New Leaf style by having to take the bus or boat or open up some kind of gate to your friend's farm/town.
You can read how it will work here : https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-multiplayer-news/

during the Winter I cleared my whole farm and played stone side walk paths but now spring comes all the junk is coming back and I thought my stone paths would be immune but the get broken up by junk spawning! That is totally not cool because that took me hours to layout my farm almost feel like quitting :(

Pau

This game is making me rethink having to share the Switch with my boyfriend. (Even though it's technically his.)

Someone on the train saw me playing and asked what it was saying her mother would love this game. Now her life too can revolve around wanting to do nothing but water virtual plants.

I am on my 4th day and loving it. How do I make money in the beginning? I am making money by fishing. My crops are still not ready, not sure how long it takes

The first best thing to buy with your money is the backpack upgrade ? Or should I just buy as much seeds I can and start planting everything ?

kris.

Banned
DAMMIT. You can press the minus button while in your inventory to auto-organize it instead of having to go all the way to the right to select it.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like this is one of those games that I'm going to grow to hate because of my love for it. It scratches the OCD itch that Animal Crossing usually does, but it kills me that everything is bundled up very tight so I know I'm going to miss things constantly.

Vicious

I am on my 4th day and loving it. How do I make money in the beginning? I am making money by fishing. My crops are still not ready, not sure how long it takes

The first best thing to buy with your money is the backpack upgrade ? Or should I just buy as much seeds I can and start planting everything ?

If you plant too much, you'll spend most of your time/energy watering which you don't want to do. Just plant a good amount that doesn't take you too much time to water. Make sure you always have something growing so while you're off fishing or doing whatever else, you'll have crops incoming.

Fishing and foraging will help with money as crops slowly start to come in. And yes, the backpack is one of the first purchases you should make.

norm9

Fishing and foraging will help with money as crops slowly start to come in. And yes, the backpack is one of the first purchases you should make.

I don't know what I would have done if I wasn't paying attention when someone mentioned a backpack was for sale at the general store. Juggling objects with the small pocket was unbearable, even though it wasn't that long a period of time.

If you plant too much, you'll spend most of your time/energy watering which you don't want to do. Just plant a good amount that doesn't take you too much time to water. Make sure you always have something growing so while you're off fishing or doing whatever else, you'll have crops incoming.

Thanks.

So the size of the crop, what do you say one refill of watering can to cover the entire crop ? Is that a crop too large ? My current one uses 2/3 of the can, so not sure if I should just plant more seeds or not

Vicious

As long as you're not spending the entire day watering, or are getting bored watering. Just plant a # you're comfortable with.

As for what to plant, parsnips are cheap and have a quick turnaround but that's the only benefit. There's not much profit there but you'll get the $ quickly.

Cauliflower will bring a lot of money but you have to wait like 12 days for it to grow.

Early on I think potatoes are the best crop to do. Takes just 6 days to grow and produces extra potatoes.

Vicious

Right when I go to bed before it saves. Completed a couple of quests and spent the whole day fishing both times.

That sucks that it happens at the end of a day. I've already made it through winter and I'm on Spring year 2. Haven't had any crashes yet.

mstevens

during the Winter I cleared my whole farm and played stone side walk paths but now spring comes all the junk is coming back and I thought my stone paths would be immune but the get broken up by junk spawning! That is totally not cool because that took me hours to layout my farm almost feel like quitting :(

This doesn't sound good at all...

Ventara

I'm 10 days away from winter and I hope I don't experience that glitch. Seriously, this game has so many bugs that the fact people are still playing it is a testament to how good the actual game is. I know I would've cut my losses and dropped this otherwise.

Ourobolus

Banned
This doesn't sound good at all...

This happens after every winter. Technically it happens a little bit between each season, but Winter->Spring usually there's quite a bit more.

I think putting down flooring should HELP with the amount of destruction, but I can't remember if that was true or not.

sleepnaught

I know the pain. I tilled about 400 units in precise shapes for my new sprinklers to get ready for the next season. Lo and behold, half of the tilling was gone and there was shit covering all over it. Huge waste if time.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Any pictures of your farms?

Yeah, I've leveled up my skills as well as have the best fishing rod so far with bait. Is there anything beyond the 1800 G one? I imagine so later on. About 10 days into summer and rolling in the cash now along with 40 plants going. The claims of addiction are real, lol.
There are
three
fishing rods.
The second adds the option for bait, the third adds the option for fishing tackles.

mstevens

Any pictures of your farms?

There are
three
fishing rods.
The second adds the option for bait, the third adds the option for fishing tackles.

So what's the benefits of using a tackle? I'm level 6 and can buy it, but I've been using the bamboo rod the whole time because I'm a cheapskate.

If I plant a tree seedling in winter to bear fruit in the spring, does it die? It says it takes a whole season to grow and bears fruit in the spring but an in-game message said no crops grow during winter?

JakeD

Is it winter 24? because I'm having the exact same issue

Right when I go to bed before it saves. Completed a couple of quests and spent the whole day fishing both times.

It seems to be related to upgrading tools on the day before a festival. (Meaning, the tool would be ready for pickup the same day as the festival I believe)

Some people also suspect it has something to do with leveling up and selling items on a day before a festival. Basically, too many things happening at one moment. Check into the chucklefish forums, a lot more info there.

spiritfox

If I plant a tree seedling in winter to bear fruit in the spring, does it die? It says it takes a whole season to grow and bears fruit in the spring but an in-game message said no crops grow during winter?

No, they'll continue to grow as normal. It's the best time to grow spring trees.

RPS37

So how is this Dan Ryckert's 2016 GOTY? What the heck am I supposed to be doing?
I've played for like 30 mins. Been through like 3 or 4 days. Planted the parsnips, bought some beans, met some peeps, got a fishing pole...still don't know what I should be doing.
Advice?

So how is this Dan Ryckert's 2016 GOTY? What the heck am I supposed to be doing?
I've played for like 30 mins. Been through like 3 or 4 days. Planted the parsnips, bought some beans, met some peeps, got a fishing pole...still don't know what I should be doing.
Advice?

In my case it hooked me in after a few hours. Also I’m not using a wiki or anything. Just relaxing and playing.

exemp30

Advice?
I don't know if this helps but for me I also felt lost at first but after a few game days I sort of figured out a schedule and it became more enjoyable for me.

TheKeyPit

Banned
So what's the benefits of using a tackle? I'm level 6 and can buy it, but I've been using the bamboo rod the whole time because I'm a cheapskate.
There are different tackles. One gives you a bigger green bar, one increases the bite-rate of fish(you'll catch more fish faster), another one is like a magnet and your green bar sticks a bit to the fish, another one does that your bar doesn't bounce off the bottom. There are additional for stuff like helping out with treasures and so on.

+ You won't be able to catch some of the fish because of your current fishing rod(as in: too difficult to catch). Get a better one. If you really like fishing, get the best.

Edit: Ask me anything about fishing. I caught all fish types and
every legendary fish is in one of my chests.

Brakke

Banned

I’m not positive but I’m pretty sure trees just halt growth during Winter. I entered the season with a bunch of oak saplings I’d planted in anticipation of tapping them but they’re all still tiny shrubs 14 days in.

Trees do grow during Winter if you plant them in the Greenhouse!

So... when green mist starts happening all over the screen when I'm mining is there anything I can do or am I just fucked?

If you’re carrying enough Stone, you can craft a staircase and bail out. Otherwise, just plant your feet and fight.

Marvie_3

Banned
Advice?
Sounds like youre doing exactly what you should be doing. :)

TheKeyPit

Banned
I’m not positive but I’m pretty sure trees just halt growth during Winter. I entered the season with a bunch of oak saplings I’d planted in anticipation of tapping them but they’re all still tiny shrubs 14 days in.

Normal trees have a weird growth.

Fruit trees do grow in winter.

I'm guessing the fruit tree has to grow, and is different from normal trees.

Normal trees have a weird growth.

Fruit trees do grow in winter.
Nice. Do I have to water them daily like crops?

Top Bottom