• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Seil

Is fishing all that good? I mean it was ok money when I started, but I guess I'm still using the beginning rod.

Once I set up a self sustaining farm that I don't waste half of my energy just watering my crops, maybe I'll level up fishing.

I've fished far more than I've farmed. No doubt the farm will win out when you have a well developed one with tons of crops and sprinklers to make it more manageable, though. I don't regret the amount of time I've spent fishing the first couple seasons whatsoever. Now I'm in fall and have some quality sprinklers set up, so I have more crops than I used to. But I still almost feel like my crops are supplementing my fishing income more than the other way around haha. But as I expand, the gap gets smaller.

I can't really find of any reliable method of making money which we need a lot in this game. (for the record, I'm on my first summer) and nothing seems to work, farming is too slow, I usually would do fishing for money, but it's too frustrating and very unreliable in this game. Foraging doesn't bring enough.
Do crafting bring any money? Haven't tried that yet, for money I mean.

I don't understand how that works for you, I get like one fish out of ten, I keep that green bar on the fish for quite a time while it moves and then it suddenly jumps (literally), and even if I get into it's new position in time it still snaps, every single time, it's beyond frustrating.

You arent meant to get every fish. You literally start at level 1 and will improve with time.

It's also something that you will get better at with time. Some fish are easy to catch, others a little tricky, and some are insane. I dont mind the fishing at all and really enjoy the difficulty.

As for farming, again, you start at level 1. The more you level, the more better you'll get, until you can eventually pick a "job" role. For example, I foraged to the point that I chose to be a Lumberjack, and now my trees are worth 50% more.

First two seasons are hard, but once you get to a chicken coop and make mayo, you can have a steady income. Then you can get a beehive or cows. You can also improve in other areas like doing the mines, which will get you fantastic minerals to sell.

You can also do the community center checklist, which will reward you with helpful things. Do the quests in the town center for more gold.

I very much love the difficulty. Harvest Moon was much too easy IMO.

Im almost on my 2nd year, and Ive made enough money to really expand my crops and yield even more profits to start buying better things. It's really slow, but I think the game is better off for it.

The time was not well balanced IMO. It takes too much time to get from one part of the town to the other becuase of how big the map is, and is even worse if you forgot something and you need to go back. Adding 4 seconds to each hour is not much so it doesnt brake the normal activities, but its enough to not loose time for something as boring as walking from one place to the other. You can think otherwise, but as much as I love the game it has some strange design decissions here and there. The 4 seconds less for hour was the strange thing, and could be caused becuase after playing it a ton of years that he has been making it, he found it too easy. Its a normal thing to happen, myself as a game designer after playing too much of a game I made just to test it until all works, I find its too easy and try to put more difficulty into it (and I can assure you most of the times is not the best thing to do), when in reality, is just that you know the game with the palm of your hand. You need to consider people are playing from scracth to your game.
He could have add more speed to the character, but I think that compared to the other npcs and the basic animation the game has it would look super strange. I think the magic touch is getting those 4 seconds back instead of giving him walking speed.
The diagonals being slower is another quirk I have with the game that doesnt make any sense (seems more like he didnt do the maths well for the diagoals to work at the same speed as horizontal and vertical walk than a design choice) and thank god for modding solving that.

I disagree--if you forget something, that's your fault, and it should feel like it takes a whole day to go around a town.

Again, you can unlock horses and teleport eventually. I hope they dont touch the clock speed too much.

I feel like the game has been carefully balanced-- watering plants takes a long while, but there are sprinklers for that, and tool upgrades. You can even charge up your sprinkler and get like 3 tiles at once. Getting all the animal stuff can take a while too, but I can do all that after shopping hours.

I am usually able to do everything I need in a day, but I make a mental note to be efficient as possible.

Im hopeful that the developer doesnt totally nerf fishing and clock speed. I'd agree with the diagonal speed.

If you upgrade your house to include a kitchen, you can make coffee which I think gives you speed boost for a while. There seem to be things in place, but just changing the default clock or speed makes me worried about the balance. I dont want to feel as if I can do everything with ease

Cerity

I can't really find of any reliable method of making money which we need a lot in this game. (for the record, I'm on my first summer) and nothing seems to work, farming is too slow, I usually would do fishing for money, but it's too frustrating and very unreliable in this game. Foraging doesn't bring enough.
Do crafting bring any money? Haven't tried that yet, for money I mean.

Look into animals and crafting the makers, mayonnaise, preserves, alcohols, wools etc. It's pretty easy to set up a consistent income of 1-2k a night.

Arthea

I don't really care about making a lot of money. Just looking to be very social and explore a lot. Taking it at a very relaxed pace.

I would do the same, except social part isn't my favourite, but it's only three years! not enough time to be relaxed, judging by how fast time goes and how slowly I advance.

I also remembered another thing that's unclear to me, how those spirit packages work? I still don't know how to rebuild that community centre.

Is fishing all that good? I mean it was ok money when I started, but I guess I'm still using the beginning rod.

Once I set up a self sustaining farm that I don't waste half of my energy just watering my crops, maybe I'll level up fishing.

Super good, you need to get good at fishing, and then spend money in better rods. If you like fishing in other games (that is finding special places where you know are the good fish, leanring how to reel, etc...) you will like it in this game and get lots of money. I can get up to 5000g an afternoon, but you need to get more level to catch more valuable fish.

I don't understand how that works for you, I get like one fish out of ten, I keep that green bar on the fish for quite a time while it moves and then it suddenly jumps (literally), and even if I get into it's new position in time it still snaps, every single time, it's beyond frustrating.

There are easier fishes than other, the begginers rod is ass and you need to change it as soon as you can.
Is tricky at the beggining, super tricky, but once you get the hang of it, you will get 100% of the fish (the tuna is one of the hard ones for example, but totally doable everytime once you get the hang of it).
Except the damn fish king! :mad:

You arent meant to get every fish. You literally start at level 1 and will improve with time.

It's also something that you will get better at with time. Some fish are easy to catch, others a little tricky, and some are insane. I dont mind the fishing at all and really enjoy the difficulty.

As for farming, again, you start at level 1. The more you level, the more better you'll get, until you can eventually pick a "job" role. For example, I foraged to the point that I chose to be a Lumberjack, and now my trees are worth 50% more.

First two seasons are hard, but once you get to a chicken coop and make mayo, you can have a steady income. Then you can get a beehive or cows. You can also improve in other areas like doing the mines, which will get you fantastic minerals to sell.

You can also do the community center checklist, which will reward you with helpful things. Do the quests in the town center for more gold.

I very much love the difficulty. Harvest Moon was much too easy IMO.

Im almost on my 2nd year, and Ive made enough money to really expand my crops and yield even more profits to start buying better things. It's really slow, but I think the game is better off for it.

I disagree--if you forget something, that's your fault, and it should feel like it takes a whole day to go around a town.

Again, you can unlock horses and teleport eventually. I hope they dont touch the clock speed too much.

I feel like the game has been carefully balanced-- watering plants takes a long while, but there are sprinklers for that, and tool upgrades. You can even charge up your sprinkler and get like 3 tiles at once. Getting all the animal stuff can take a while too, but I can do all that after shopping hours.

I am usually able to do everything I need in a day, but I make a mental note to be efficient as possible.

Im hopeful that the developer doesnt totally nerf fishing and clock speed. I'd agree with the diagonal speed.

If you upgrade your house to include a kitchen, you can make coffee which I think gives you speed boost for a while. There seem to be things in place, but just changing the default clock or speed makes me worried about the balance. I dont want to feel as if I can do everything with ease

Sorry if, like lots of people, I find the time badly implemented.
Fishing no, time yes. I dont want him changing his design decissions (and I dont think that he is going to change them), even if i dont like the time one (for me its not extra difficulty, is just making the game more boring), but I want mods for people that want to change them, so you can do it if you want, thats the beauty of all this. Feel free thinking people are cheating if that makes you feel better.

Cronee

These are the requirements:

Windows 7 or greater
CPU: 2 Ghz
2 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 mb video memory, shader model 3.0+
DirectX: 10

DirectX 10 is a little strange, but other than that it should run on anything, pretty much.

I play this on my tablet that has the atom 3775z and it runs 60 fps all the time, granted it only supports that goofy 1366x768 resolution.

Super good, you need to get good at fishing, and then spend money in better rods. If you like fishing in other games (that is finding special places where you know are the good fish, leanring how to reel, etc...) you will like it in this game and get lots of money. I can get up to 5000g an afternoon, but you need to get more level to catch more valuable fish.

There are easier fishes than other, the begginers rod is ass and you need to change it as soon as you can.
Is tricky at the beggining, super tricky, but once you get the hang of it, you will get 100% of the fish (the tuna is one of the hard ones for example, but totally doable everytime once you get the hang of it).
Except the damn fish king! :mad:

Sorry if, like lots of people, I find the time badly implemented.
Fishing no, time yes. I dont want him changing his design decissions, even if i dont like the time one (for me its not extra difficulty, is just making the game more boring), but I want mods for people that want to change them, so you can do it if you want, thats the beuaty of all this. Feel free thinking people are cheating if that makes you feel better.

Not calling anyone a cheater, I'd love options, but I feel like you are meant to be using the various in-game buffs to manage time better. Once people unlock horses and make better meals, there will probably be lots of time to spare if he slows it down.

I would do the same, except social part isn't my favourite, but it's only three years! not enough time to be relaxed, judging by how fast time goes and how slowly I advance.

I also remembered another thing that's unclear to me, how those spirit packages work? I still don't know how to rebuild that community centre.

It doesn't end after the three years! It goes on forever really. If i'm married by the end of those two years and creepy ghost grampa comes back and doesn't think that's a success then he can go plant his own kale.

The community center is really easy. You check what items the critters want in the menu, the go to the CC, click the appropriate tile, and put the item there.

Btw, people asking about finding items: if you dig at the "worms" that you see poking out of the ground, you can uncover things

Anyone that already reached Winter can tell me if the grass has to be harvested by the end of Fall or can I still harvest it in the Winter? There's quite a few patches of grass around and I don't want to be surprised come Winter.

Cerity

Yeah, looking at it now I don't think CA really needs to change the pace of time. It feels pretty bad at the start but it's part of the progression. You unlock the horse, the warp points, use coffee and food. You eventually start needing to do less and less on your farm.

The only thing I really think needs changing is the 2am collapse, it feels really lame to have a hard limit and a money penalty like that. If you go to bed later than 2am I think you should just wake up later, say if you go to bed at 12am, you should wake up at 8am, 2am -> 10am etc.

Anyone that already reached Winter can tell me if the grass has to be harvested by the end of Fall or can I still harvest it in the Winter? There's quite a few patches of grass around and I don't want to be surprised come Winter.

You cant harvest in fall. Save up in silo or prepare to pay an npc.

Arthea

Yeah, looking at it now I don't think CA really needs to change the pace of time. It feels pretty bad at the start but it's part of the progression. You unlock the horse, the warp points, use coffee and food. You eventually start needing to do less and less on your farm.

The only thing I really think needs changing is the 2am collapse, it feels really lame to have a hard limit and a money penalty like that. If you go to bed later than 2am I think you should just wake up later, say if you go to bed at 12am, you should wake up at 8am, 2am -> 10am etc.

you do? I mean we do? that changes everything!
well not really, for example finding people to hand them their items-gifts takes most of my time, or so it seems and that won't change.

If you have the funds when the gipsy shows up sometimes she has awesome stuff and out of season items, got a iradium sprinkler off her, does 24 tiles and changed my farming style.

This weird lady's selling two tulips who are exactly the same except... one is 800g and the other is 120g!

I don't know how she's staying in business.

Btw, people asking about finding items: if you dig at the "worms" that you see poking out of the ground, you can uncover things

Welp. I was avoiding them because i don't want to kill any worms.

you do? I mean we do? that changes everything!
well not really, for example finding people to hand them their items-gifts takes most of my time, or so it seems and that won't change.

Once you know the NPC routes, it's very easy. You can also use the map to find their homes and visit them after work hours.

And yes, those are the teleporters.

You craft totems, and use them once to travel all around the map. I think struggling with the early game is totally intentional, as is the pacing of the clock. Once you do get rich, travel will be much easier. If the game is slowed down now, it would really change the balance immensely, as the game will likely snowball into feeling like a cakewalk

Not calling anyone a cheater, I'd love options, but I feel like you are meant to be using the various in-game buffs to manage time better. Once people unlock horses and make better meals, there will probably be lots of time to spare if he slows it down.

The problem I have with this is that everything is too damn expensive then.
Is one thing (time), or the other (economy) for me. The basic things that give you buffs are so expensive you will stay too much time with loosing time going from one place to the other.
I dont mind it things being that expensive with the 4 seconds mod now (and I just got 10000g for the first time after 20 hours of play, as I said, I dont think it breaks the game, it just make it a tad bit less time spend walking around town, but you dont get much more money than without it).
By the 10000g I mean having that much to spend in one setting, I usually have 6000g each day and never try to go below 3000g, I can get 3000-5000g each day and then spend it in farming.
Again, I dont find wasting the time in those something that makes the game more difficult or challenging. It just makes it more boring (on the contrary the way fishing works is indeed challenging, but I find it good in difficulty and its own fun metagame).
At the end of the day is people liking to do different things. As the game is so expansive people will love some aspects of it, but think the non important parts for them are too boring.

Maybe with the portals and buffs after some time, I dont need those seconds any more, and probably will take away that mod.

Seil

It's the first day of Summer and all my crops have turned brown, did I seriously just lose everything I was growing?

Yes. Most crops only last a single season. There are some multi-season crops, like corn for summer and fall, but for the most part they will die at the start of the next season.

FiraB

Banned
It's the first day of Summer and all my crops have turned brown, did I seriously just lose everything I was growing?

Ouch, sorry but it's all gone.

Each month is 28 days long and crops are seasonal unless they say specially that they grow in two seasons like corn (grows in summer and fall).

A reddit user is gathering the NPC routes

--
And fan-arts are already coming:

aZraXSj.png

LNUfgQn.png
By VladBacescu - Reddit

ameleco

Hey guys! Does anyone know the range of the scarecrow?
Also if anyone has figured out best crops per season? Kale seems god tier for spring, but not sure

I like the time scale. It gives you enough time to do things, but not even to do everything. By summer, with the hot spring, the intent is clear: it's about efficiency and time management more than anything. Energy is a limiter, but not the limiter.

Fishing is pretty good too, once you get the hang of it. It only gets easier and faster as the player ranks up and gets better gear and knowledge.

Also, the cat's idle animations are the best. I thought it was dead a few times. A true Garfield.
A reddit user is gathering the NPC routes

--
And fan-arts are already coming:

By VladBacescu - Reddit
Great stuff.

The wiki's art progression chart for NPCs (on their respective pages) is really interesting, too. (NinjaEdit: And speak of the devil.)

is anyone else a fan of some of the character's earlier concepts?

Penny_Timeline.png

Leah_Timeline.png

Abigail_Timeline.png

Yes, but Maru is the worst redesign of all the ones ive seen.

The others at least dont look bad with their new designs.
I dont have a problem with new Penny.
The Leah I like most is the 8th one, although I would add the braid from the last one.
The best Abigail is the 14th one, although the new jacket is cool.

LordAmused

Am I the only one worried about not having enough time to save the community center? I don't even know where to begin and boy, does time fly!

Arthea

Am I the only one worried about not having enough time to save the community center? I don't even know where to begin and boy, does time fly!
I know! it's like you just got up and it's time to go to bead already?!
I'm slightly worried about that too

Take things at your own pace. Do what you can, plan some things ahead like specific season offerings, and relax. The only real problem with time is that you're probably gonna have to play over 100 irl hours to actually see the end of the game!

Uhhh Shane just sent me something he stole from work........................ really regretting giving him that beer.

is anyone else a fan of some of the character's earlier concepts?

Penny_Timeline.png

Leah_Timeline.png

Abigail_Timeline.png

Yes, but Maru is the worst redesign of all the ones ive seen.

The others at least dont look bad with their new designs.
I dont have a problem with new Penny.
The Leah I like most is the 8th one, although I would add the braid from the last one.
The best Abigail is the 14th one, although the new jacket is cool.

Maru is definitely the worst. She reminds me of Toriel from Undertale with the hair.

I would waifu old Maru, but Im stuck with Leah or that Haley brat.

Sarcasm

I can say unless you get a new rod which makes it reasonably better fishing kinda blows for how much you lose and how much the fish jumps. It jumps like you can move your mouse (vs clicking).

But clicking it is, either you feather and its never enough or hold for less then a second and its too much.

(Also my steam overlay doesn't work ingame)

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

YOU'RE GOD DAMN KIDDING ME

Ok fine, yeah take me down 11 levels if I get killed in the mines

But you get rid of my upgraded sword? Fuck you game. What the hell do I do now.

edit: luckily some decent swords are less than 1000 in the guild but still god damn.

I figured out how to get extra coal, and it's not from the mines.

The answer is... some contraption + wood. Farm enough and you'll get the crafting recipe to make it.

...Man, I need so much wood for everything.
I can say unless you get a new rod which makes it reasonably better fishing kinda blows for how much you lose and how much the fish jumps. It jumps like you can move your mouse (vs clicking).

But clicking it is, either you feather and its never enough or hold for less then a second and its too much.

The bar gets larger as you skill up (and maybe as you improve rods, too), so naturally you'll want to tackle easy fish near the fishing shack first.

I really doubt that players are meant to keep the bar perfectly on the fish 100% of the time. It can happen, but for jumpier fish it will be a game of catch-up and anticipation.

Once you get a new rod and bait it becomes very straightforward for every fish I've come across--river, lake, ocean, or other. The real test becomes holding onto the fish long enough to get the chests during the fishing minigame.

Oh yeah, pro tip for anyone starting off: press ESC to enter the menu. I don't think they really explain that anywhere.

It's where you can see your character stats, social stats, inventory, map, crafting tab, options, and where you can quit the game (only do it after sleeping, when it saves).

LordAmused

Oh yeah, pro tip for anyone starting off: press ESC to enter the menu. I don't think they really explain that anywhere.

It's where you can see your character stats, social stats, inventory, map, crafting tab, options, and where you can quit the game (only do it after sleeping, when it saves).

Pressing the "E" key does the same. I think it's much more ergonomic as it is closer to WASD.

Top Bottom