• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDMIX

The tram making you go to different part of the city is just teleporting you, no real loading there.

From what i see in the Digital Foundry video, its 100% loading. As in, its not in real time and I don't think anyone cares about how folks want to split hairs on this.

its not in real time.

Looking at the video, I didn't even know it had THAT much loading, like I didn't know to go in the ship is a loading screen.....

So I hope we get some mods like we got Open City Mod for Skyrim to get rid of some of the loading, but I don't know if it will be smooth or animate well lol We need that Starfield remaster already lol

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
NPCs in the game arent the best but you can make some good looking characters in the game

Z1JRO2v.png

Y0S6o6m.jpg

V9TTay6.png

MF7hNpr.jpg

The Mars quests just keep on keeping on. Ive managed to leave 2 ships without a crew or captain but no way to add them to my fleet. the pilot seat told me I either did not have the codes/authorization or would not let me board. So I still only have the one starting ship. Buying a ship is way outside my price range.
Just reached level 6. I do not know what missions are what level. But I was sent to buy a book in a system 3 or 4 jumps away and the star system said level 30.
Is that the only way to know if something is beyond my level?

I fucking hate Heatleeches

hqdefault.jpg

Found one in the beginning of the game stuck in a room. Threw him a grenade to hold onto for a sec while I checked my inventory for any other guns 😂

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
DonJorginho DonJorginho adamsapple adamsapple

Holy shit.....the Razorleaf packs a punch!

The only drawback is that I haven't been able to modify it much, it doesn't take some of the real good shields, only one which adds 1 extra shield notch, and managed to jury rig a crew hold on top.

I'm probably gonna get one of those big borg looking ships with the credits, getting a lot of money and not really much to use it for.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I thought Sarah was going to be a big bitch, but she is cool. I enjoy her witty quips while talking to npcs and in battle.

Sarah: [To enemy]This is going to end badly for you.

Me: [Lights the enemy on fire with incendiary rounds and shoots them up the ass with a double-barrel shotgun while they crawl on the ground engulfed in flames.]

Last edited:
The Wanted trait is hilarious. Bounty Hunters are supposed to shake me down every now and then, but I don't think Bethsoft accounted for the fact that you can easily avoid them by fast traveling away :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Bounty Hunters: Hey you, give us all your money
Me:
Peace Out Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Jemm

I can't really say what draws me to this game, but you just have to keep playing it.

At one point I'm fighting Spacers in Martian mines and soon I'm at Neon after some side-mission git me near that place.

Got hired to a big corpo where my first task is to bring coffee to executives. After some events, I get promoted to 'influence" others and doing all kinds of things in Neon alone. I got the Neon Street Rat -trait, which gives some perks while there. I persuaded some thugs to calm down without killing them with my social traits.

I've yet build my first outpost or to upgrade my ship, but the amount of different things to do is staggering.

It is hard to describe what makes this game so good (even with some shortcomings), but you just have to experience it. Even a friend of mine (who used to hate SP-games) plays and streams it now 12+ hours a day...

twilo99

Got hired to a big corpo where my first task is to bring coffee to executives. After some events, I get promoted to 'influence" others and doing all kinds of things in Neon alone. I got the Neon Street Rat -trait, which gives some perks while there. I persuaded some thugs to calm down without killing them with my social traits.

Err, where.. how? lol

EDMIX

NPCs in the game arent the best but you can make some good looking characters in the game

Z1JRO2v.png

Y0S6o6m.jpg

V9TTay6.png

MF7hNpr.jpg

damn that looks good!

We need them mods ASAP!

I always wonder why the actual character you make, looks more detailed then the normal NPCs, like look....I know some actual answer might exist like some sort of bandwidth with space or some shit lol That would be cool if a game released where you could custom make all NPCs to your liking lol

lol this is why I save like 100 times an hour

not sure how i feel about this yet. i went into it thinking it's just Skyrim/Fallout in space and that's what it is but the amount of loading screens, fast travelling, going to space to travel to a different place on the same planet, or running hundreds of metres because there are no land vehicles is starting to annoy me. also the combat is shit... is there no lock on for guns? i am trying to shoot people but keep spraying bullets everywhere. i've obviously tried adjusting the sensitivity.

kinda kicking myself for buying this but i'll keep playing so i don't feel like i've wasted my money. maybe i'll change my mind as i'm still very early in.

Last edited:
Ok so I wanted to test the space (tile) size and to be honest I can’t find it as I flew for 2 and a half hours yes that long towards Ariel (Uranus moon) 1KM is 5 seconds at 150 speed.

Yes we do get closer and the body takes up more of the screen as we get closer. Also stuff surrounding us will eventually vanish out of our view range. When you reach 0 M you just fly through the moon 😂🙈 into space.

So in theory we could fly to planets, (obviously we can’t as it would take lifetimes, planters etc.. are light years away and well 1500 KM takes 125 minutes to travel. A light year is 9460730472580 KM 😂work that out 😬 even 9850 KM would take 13/14 hours to fly to)

So yeah, we can fly away and towards body’s that we fly to.

I mean I don’t want to have to fly for another 2 and a half hours when I can hit a button and am there instantly 😁

Anyways some pictures of me getting closer to the moon over time & a video of the finally 😂.

Different rules for different objects it seems. I tried approaching Deimos (small Mars moon) and you can indeed get closer, but at 9999 m it would just stay at that distance.

This seems promising though. Someone should be able to create a supercruise mod that let's you fly around solar systems at will. Perhaps bringing up the planet map thing automatically if you get too close to prevent clipping...

Hugare

Not feeling the game at all so far

The introduction is so, so rushed. Find the artifact, fight some pirates, get the ship from guy that you've just met, fight a pirate leader (and his crew, all by yourself) and then go meet the Constellation.

It's not so much about it being rushed. Mass Effect also starts with a bang really fast. But conversations and character interactions in general are so unnatural, and some scenarios are so random. How everyone in Constellation accepts you right away, already giving you a mission. Or how the dude just gives you his ship + Vasco. Or how you, a nobody, just kill a whole crew of space pirates by yourself.

But this is kinda of a Bethesda thing. Fallout 4 was just as ridiculous with you waking up from cryogenesis and fighting some bandits and killing a Deathclaw with a power armor 5 minutes later. So unbelievable within that context.

Fallout 3 had by far the best set of starting quests in a Bethesda game. Atmospheric, great character building culminating in that amazing sequence when you left the vault.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
- Use Mars for maxing the encumbrance perk tree training, it has lower gravity and the oxygen runs a lot longer, so you get tired slower
Fuck yeah this was a great tip. Thanks!

For people really early in the game, or getting ready to play soon this is one of the most helpful things you can do. I'd say right after your first mission with Sarah, head to Mars and boost this skill. I learned a lot about the game loop fucking around here, too:

-When you're running around you can have your scanner active and stop to mine and that will kill two birds with one stone by giving you resources and replenishing your O2.
-While in scanner mode you'll see 2 blank hexagon(?) outlines that denote areas of interest. These were geological interests in this case. When you look around the map in scanner mode they'll be the little map marker shaped things with a '?' in them.
-Also you'll see something like "0/4 Resources Discovered". These are planet resources you scan by getting near them and hitting 'A' on the controller. Example would be H20.
-When you discover the locations and scan the resources, the little info box in scanner mode will get border decoration with the Starfield logo/flag/colors.
-While you're sprinting around with 75% max weight to boost the Weight Lifting skill, you'll run into spacers, and pickup little side missions. I met a bounty hunter and we went on a cool adventure.

Boost Pack skill is probably the next thing I'll max.
---
Side note. This game can have really good lighting and visuals. Came back to the ship on foot with Sarah right after finishing the area and leveling weight lifting just as the sun rose on Mars. It was beautiful. She goes, "This was a good trip." I really love this game.❤️

Mars.jpg

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Fuck yeah this was a great tip. Thanks!

I invested exactly 0 skill points in extra weight capacity and already have 300k credits.

IMO it's a waste of skill perk and there are so many other good options to choose instead.

My strategy: I just go to a location, preferably on a planetary body with low G as you can cary more, kill everyone and everything. Then when I'm ready I loot EVERYTHING, and run back to my ship.

When your O2 depletes and CO2 builds up, your health goes down. It will go all the way down but it won't kill you. And you can still run at full speed so it doesn't matter. Once I'm in my ship, I sleep for 1 hour to recover health and dump everything to cargo.

That's it.

Not feeling the game at all so far

The introduction is so, so rushed. Find the artifact, fight some pirates, get the ship from guy that you've just met, fight a pirate leader (and his crew, all by yourself) and then go meet the Constellation.

It's not so much about it being rushed. Mass Effect also starts with a bang really fast. But conversations and character interactions in general are so unnatural, and some scenarios are so random. How everyone in Constellation accepts you right away, already giving you a mission. Or how the dude just gives you his ship + Vasco. Or how you, a nobody, just kill a whole crew of space pirates by yourself.

But this is kinda of a Bethesda thing. Fallout 4 was just as ridiculous with you waking up from cryogenesis and fighting some bandits and killing a Deathclaw with a power armor 5 minutes later. So unbelievable within that context.

Fallout 3 had by far the best set of starting quests in a Bethesda game. Atmospheric, great character building culminating in that amazing sequence when you left the vault.
Things settle down in New Atlantis. Visited my parents and doing random quests in the city. Its pretty much the Citidel from mass effect except no aliens.

ssringo

Overall mostly enjoying the game but something is up with Akila, or whatever the place Coe takes you for his quest. Game has froze up multiple times during the time I've been on planet including a BSOD. Surveying/exploring planets is a slog anyway so gonna leave and hope it's just that place that's fucked.

bbeach123

I think I just got a game breaking bug . After defeating the bounty hunter(spawn with the trait) ship by boarding , travel to others space area cause my ship and everything to disappeared .

Travel to land cause my game to crash . Literally stuck on that save .

Thankfully I had a save file 20 minute earlier .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom