• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

Topher

Gold Member
Seems like some salty blue fans are going back in time and review bombing Fallout 4

57580b9c3b3f77d5ea450559880bb3d064f6381fed9d5359703854cd05a8b25a.jpg

Huh? The last negative user review was in March...

dotnotbot

Huh? The last negative user review was in March...

Just a joke targeted at people who believe Starfield is unfairly review bombed en masse - it's not the first Bethesda game that received much more positive reviews from critics than users, it has nothing to do with console wars.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

The game does start to feel somewhat samey... but it's a Bethesda game. What did you expect? Sometimes I read what people said or were saying before this game released and was wondering if they knew a different Bethesda from the one I know.
I would exect a little bit of ambition from billion dolar company having 8 years to create a clean sheet project.
Instead they decide to fuck that and do Fallout in space.

This whole "it's a Bethesda game" argument is basically confirming the game is medicore, but many people don't mind playing medicore games. That's fine. But don't pretend it's some great achievement in gaming.

Last edited:

Sonik

Steam r
New Vegas the GOAT

Steam users have incredibly fine taste.

Steam reviews are the only ones I can trust on the internet, game critics and critics in general are corrupt corporate shills that often even review games/movies//whatever based on their pretentious ideals plus other sites consistently manipulate user review scores to help other corporations or their own studios.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Who cares. Reviews always climb back up over time with review bombed games.
Almost all console-exclusive games get review-bombed on Metacritic, but that is not the case on Steam.
A year from now it will probably be back to 'Very Positive'.
That usually happens because games get patched and optimized a year after the release. They also go on heavy sales. If someone pays $20, they may have lowered expectations than the one who preordered and paid $70 to play on day one.

Elysium44

Banned
You are not wrong. Reviews with low playtime are typically just not quality reviews especially in an open world RPG than spans dozens of hours. The exception to that, however, would be negative reviews based on performance. Those are good reviews as long as the reviewer states what hardware they have in order to inform others of what to expect.

But this.....is worthless....

TeQImQx.png

At least we can see they didn't buy it from Steam with the intention to refund it (because of the key symbol). People who paid good money for a game based on all the pre-release hype and then to find out it disappoints them and they can't refund it, are entitled to give a negative review. I agree it could have been worded more constructively, but sometimes people feel angry and emotional at wasting their money and it's not wrong that they express this if they want.

I have bought two Bethesda games on Steam, a long time ago, Oblivion and Fallout 3. On both occasions I got them due to the extreme hype, despite me looking at videos and being doubtful I would like them. Knowing sometimes I end up liking games I think I won't, I gave them a try. Especially the latter I thought I might like, as I like the post-apocalyptic genre especially (in games or other entertainment media). I disliked both, found them very very clunky and tedious. It didn't take me long to establish this. I played the first for 2.4 hours and the latter for 5.6 hours. I didn't actually leave any reviews, especially as I'd got them years after release for a budget price. If I'd bought them on release though, I'd have been less forgiving.

While we're on the subject of reviews and while I was looking at my Steam games, I gave a negative review to Resident Evil 3 despite playing for 43.5 hours and completing it 100%. I somewhat liked it but mostly I hated a lot about it, especially the final boss fight on the hardest difficulty which still 3 years later makes me hate Capcom for making it that way. I completed it because I bought it for full price on release and wanted to get my money's worth (sunk cost fallacy). I resented playing it but didn't want to let the game beat me.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You are not wrong. Reviews with low playtime are typically just not quality reviews especially in an open world RPG than spans dozens of hours. The exception to that, however, would be negative reviews based on performance. Those are good reviews as long as the reviewer states what hardware they have in order to inform others of what to expect.

But this.....is worthless....

TeQImQx.png
I think performance based negativity would go under the low playtime reviews, prob sub 10 hours. Personally I would not play 50 hours if the game ran like crap, I would upgrade the PC or drop it. I played the supposed best game of all time Zelda OOT for just a few hours before dropping it, 17fps (PAL) was below my standards.

About that, just installed the DLSS mod on Starfield. First impression: Sooooo good.👌🤩

Rac3r

I couldn’t play it for more than a couple hours on Series X. Idk about PC, but it feels janky and looks horrible on Xbox. Like I’m actually shocked at how critics like the Washington Post gave this game a 100 (4/4).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I would exect a little bit of ambitions from billion dolar company having 8 years to create a clean sheet project.
Instead they decide to fuck that and do Fallout in space.

This whole "it's a Bethesda game" argument is basically confirming the game is medicore, but many people don't mind playing medicore games. That's fine. But don't pretend it's some great achievement in gaming.

Guess that depends on if someone agrees that Bethesda games are mediocre. Saying that confirms it only applies to you my man.

At least we can see they didn't buy it from Steam with the intention to refund it. People who paid good money for a game based on all the pre-release hype and then to find out it disappoints them and they can't refund it, are entitled to give a negative review. I agree it could have been worded more constructively, but sometimes people feel angry and emotional at wasting their money and it's not wrong that they express this if they want.

That's fine. I didn't say the guy bought it to review/refund. I have no way of knowing that. But there is also a reason why Steam shows us how many hours the user actually played. And there is nothing wrong with doing as Fredrik Fredrik said and filtering out those who haven't put in the time to make an informed review.

This is not an informed review.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think performance based negativity would go under the low playtime reviews, prob sub 10 hours. Personally I would not play 50 hours if the game ran like crap, I would upgrade the PC or drop it. I played the supposed best game of all time Zelda OOT for just a few hours before dropping it, 17fps (PAL) was below my standards.

About that, just installed the DLSS mod on Starfield. First impression: Sooooo good.👌🤩

Got DLSS and the StarUI mods installed so far. Really improved the experience. The joys of gaming on PC brother.

Elysium44

Banned
That's fine. I didn't say the guy bought it to review/refund. I have no way of knowing that. But there is also a reason why Steam shows us how many hours the user actually played. And there is nothing wrong with doing as Fredrik Fredrik said and filtering out those who haven't put in the time to make an informed review.

This is not an informed review.

I edited to mention the key symbol in case you or others weren't aware that it shows they bought it on a 3rd party site and thus can't refund it. Of course, that doesn't prove they didn't buy it full price just to give a negative refund but it's highly unlikely.

miklonus

I love how the writers structured this season of console wars.

1st we get the curated early reviews, which gets the sony warriors malding, then we get to see the review averages go down with time, making the xbox warriors mald.

10/10, looking forward to the Spider Man 2 story arc.
I like how you make a neutral post, skewering all parties, and no one wants to up-vote you/respond to you. It works every time.

Point everyone's flaws out, at the same time, and no one can say nothin'. Can't "ban" a person...that's also attacking your enemy.

Topher

Gold Member
I edited to mention the key symbol in case you or others weren't aware that it shows they bought it on a 3rd party site and thus can't refund it. Of course, that doesn't prove they didn't buy it full price just to give a negative refund but it's highly unlikely.

Yeah I'm aware. When I said I have no way of know that, I'm talking about the reviewers intentions, not how/where bought the game. Where they bought the game wasn't relevant to what I was saying.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I love how the writers structured this season of console wars.

1st we get the curated early reviews, which gets the sony warriors malding, then we get to see the review averages go down with time, making the xbox warriors mald.

10/10, looking forward to the Spider Man 2 story arc.
I legit hope for some 7s for Spider-Man 2 just to see the madness!

Fredrik

Got DLSS and the StarUI mods installed so far. Really improved the experience. The joys of gaming on PC brother.
Yup. To be honest, this game was always a PC game for me. That’s why it makes me so sad to see console war cloud the talks so much when we finally get a new big Bethesda game and new IP. PC gaming got caught in the middle of that noise for no reason at all when there should be celebration that this game is finally out. Luckily I don’t have any friends with that warrior attitude so it’s easy to dodge it as long as I’m offline, and while a thread like this can be toxic the OT on this board has so far mostly been a safe zone with happy people talking about what they love about the game and what they’ve experienced.

In a good world PS fans and Xbox fans should bury the war axe and go out and buy a PC and just enjoy the game. Instead they’re fighting like kids and tries to score points in some imaginary competition that has never made any sense.

Oh well, back to the game! 🚀👍🙂

Topher

Gold Member
Yup. To be honest, this game was always a PC game for me. That’s why it makes me so sad to see console war cloud the talks so much when we finally get a new big Bethesda game and new IP. PC gaming got caught in the middle of that noise for no reason at all when there should be celebration that this game is finally out. Luckily I don’t have any friends with that warrior attitude so it’s easy to dodge it as long as I’m offline, and while a thread like this can be toxic the OT on this board has so far mostly been a safe zone with happy people talking about what they love about the game and what they’ve experienced.

In a good world PS fans and Xbox fans should bury the war axe and go out and buy a PC and just enjoy the game. Instead they’re fighting like kids and tries to score points in some imaginary competition that has never made any sense.

Oh well, back to the game! 🚀👍🙂

Yeah, the OT is great. People talking about the game who are actually playing it. Agree. Time to jump back into Starfield. (y)

Astray

I like how you make a neutral post, skewering all parties, and no one wants to up-vote you/respond to you. It works every time.

Point everyone's flaws out, at the same time, and no one can say nothin'. Can't "ban" a person...that's also attacking your enemy.
It's just very funny to me to see how the console battling ebbs and flows depending on what's happening at the moment.

If you like Starfield, then some guy making a 4/10 review shouldn't bother you so much. And if you don't like starfield, then people giving it 10s and 9s shouldn't bother you either, their opinions existing won't erase yours from existence.

Hudo

It's just very funny to me to see how the console battling ebbs and flows depending on what's happening at the moment.

If you like Starfield, then some guy making a 4/10 review shouldn't bother you so much. And if you don't like starfield, then people giving it 10s and 9s shouldn't bother you either, their opinions existing won't erase yours from existence.
To be fair, no review ever should really bother you. But yet, here we are.

Zuzu

It was clear when they showed the Starfield Direct in June that this was going to be fundamentally similar to Fallout 4 with the addition of ship building and space combat. Why couldn’t people see that? They showed us like an hour of what it would be. To expect anything fundamentally different from that was just silly.

It’s generally got the same gameplay mechanics as Fallout 4 but is more evolved and improved in various areas over that game with a bit deeper RPG mechanics (though still pretty casual). If you like Fallout 4 then you’ll probably like this. I like it a lot. It’s a more refined and improved Fallout 4 with better rpg mechanics and some amazing production values and beautiful graphics by and large (there are some average looking graphics as well). Take it or leave it, but it was clear what we were getting after the Starfield Direct.

Last edited:
It’s generally got the same gameplay mechanics as Fallout 4 but is more evolved and improved in various areas over that game with a bit deeper RPG mechanics (though still pretty casual).

How are rpg mechanics casual might I ask?

Take character development.

No obscure stats like Strength, Dexterity, intelligence etc. That allows you to make 5-6 types of characters. Maybe a few more if game allows multiclassing.

In Starfield, you are only held back by your imagination and amount of time you have to earn enough skill points.

Then you can make whatever you want. And most of the characters are viable.

feynoob

Gold Member
Before either party get hard, just remember that this is launch.
Unlike other games, Bethesda games have long leg due to support and mods.
In 1-2 years, this game would look different.

Just don't celebrate too early with these reviews.

Think I'm done with this game now.

I've tried hours of exploring different planets and points of interest but it's the exact same shit over and over. The names aren't even different. They're literally 1 to 1 copy and pastes.

The side quests and factions were really good but the exploration is truly utter trash. Don't waste your time with it

Last edited:

Zuzu

How are rpg mechanics casual might I ask?

Take character development.

No obscure stats like Strength, Dexterity, intelligence etc. That allows you to make 5-6 types of characters. Maybe a few more if game allows multiclassing.

In Starfield, you are only held back by your imagination and amount of time you have to earn enough skill points.

Then you can make whatever you want. And most of the characters are viable.
I know it’s an arpg but have a look at the below screenshot of Path of Exile’s passive skill tree. That’s what I would consider to be a deep, complex RPG build system. In comparison I can’t consider Starfield’s build system to be highly complex or deep. But that’s not to say it isn’t fun or an enjoyable skill system. I wouldn’t want it be like PoE. Starfield’s skill tree is still good and enables fun builds but it isn’t close to the depth of something like PoE. So far I also don’t find the dialogue choices or choice and consequence to be as complex as New Vegas but I haven’t done the vast majority of side quests so I should hold my judgement on that until I’ve done more. The dialogue options don’t seem to be as deep as New Vegas so far however.

osKCD67.jpg

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Think I'm done with this game now.

I've tried hours of exploring different planets and points of interest but it's the exact same shit over and over. The names aren't even different. They're literally 1 to 1 copy and pastes.

The side quests and factions were really good but the exploration is truly utter trash. Don't waste your time with it
You lack imagination. You need to try your inner space boy dreams.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Before either party get hard, just remember that this is launch.
Unlike other games, Bethesda games have long leg due to support and mods.
In 1-2 years, this game would look different.

Just don't celebrate too early with these reviews.
And this is the problem

People pay day 1 prices to get the worst version
And the devs rely on the mods to make the game decent
That's why I plan to play after everything is settled, I didn't like what I played for now.

If the game is not finished why even sell it, just report it or something

feynoob

Gold Member
And this is the problem

People pay day 1 prices to get the worst version
And the devs rely on the mods to make the game decent
That's why I plan to play after everything is settled, I didn't like what I played for now.

If the game is not finished why even sell it, just report it or something
That is the state of gaming these days.
All they want is day1 cakes since that is when they get more revenues.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
That is the state of gaming these days.
All they want is day1 cakes since that is when they get more revenues.
that and now the early access way to make people spend even more

but this early access did hurt starfield alot, we have seen steam players didn't even increase at the actual launch, and all the bad stuff that they wanted to hide was showed in early access

but i still think they gained way more money with the EA

Top Bottom