• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

I know it’s an arpg but have a look at the below screenshot of Path of Exile’s passive skill tree. That’s what I would consider to be a deep, complex RPG build system. In comparison I can’t consider Starfield’s build system to be highly complex or deep. But that’s not to say it isn’t fun or an enjoyable skill system. I wouldn’t want it be like PoE. Starfield’s skill tree is still good and enables fun builds but it isn’t close to the depth of something like PoE. So far I also don’t find the dialogue choices or choice and consequence to be as complex as New Vegas but I haven’t done the vast majority of side quests so I should hold my judgement on that until I’ve done more. The dialogue options don’t seem to be as deep as New Vegas so far however.

osKCD67.jpg

I didn't say it has most complex skill tree ever. Doesn't mean it's casual.

There is new stuff being discovered still. Game gives you plenty of options to role play the way you want.

This is a new discovery i just saw.

feynoob

Gold Member
that and now the early access way to make people spend even more

but this early access did hurt starfield alot, we have seen steam players didn't even increase at the actual launch, and all the bad stuff that they wanted to hide was showed in early access

but i still think they gained way more money with the EA
And with gamepass pc, it definitely had huge affect on the steam version.
But since this is Bethesda game, it's naturally for them to gain more sales in the future due to mods.

StereoVsn

Was fallout 3 bad on PC? I always thought the concensus was it was better than 4 but I played it on console...so not sure.
Yep, it was great after patches and especially with mods. Mind you, it's the usual Bethesda formula which Obsidian did a much better job in New Vegas (and surprisingly worse one in Outer Worlds).

Grab Fallout 3 and NV (Steam or GoG works), load up mods in whichever way you want and its pretty good time. I recommend Nexus mod collections or Wabberjack for ease of use. Tale of Two Wastelands mod is worth checking out as it kind of combines both games into one large Fallout adventure.

coolmast3r

To be fair the damage control side you mention is just telling people to not listen to the obvious console wars shit and just play the game for themselves.
Actually, by damage control I mean all the reviews ranging from "generally positive" to "OMG it's perfect" (coming from dedicated gaming sites, reddit, forums, etc) that don't point out the game's very obvious flaws and have a now trademarked "it's a bethesda game" (in various forms) talking point that is used in attempt to make unaware "casual" gamer believe Starfield is a game of the same caliber as Skyrim, Oblivion, New Vegas.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Actually, by damage control I mean all the reviews ranging from "generally positive" to "OMG it's perfect" (coming from dedicated gaming sites, reddit, forums, etc) that don't point out the game's very obvious flaws and have a now trademarked "it's a bethesda game" (in various forms) talking point that is used in attempt to make unaware "casual" gamer believe Starfield is a game of the same caliber as Skyrim, Oblivion, New Vegas.

Afyer spending 90 hours with the game I can say with all certainty that Starfield is literally 2023 version of Oblivion but in space.

iHaunter

What new does Starfield do that Skyrim didn’t except prettier, bigger? Look at Witcher 1, Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 and tell me you don’t see a studio improving their craft with each game, not only when it comes to graphics (which also are not that much improved with Starfield because once again they used Gamebryo and once again they pretended they didn’t).
Starfield is worse than Skyrim. The story is much more basic and blander. And because you have hundreds of planets with almost nothing to do with them, it ruins the scope of it as well.

Almost EVERYTHING is a mass copy/paste, so everything feels exactly the same. I would even consider this game below average. I think even the current 7/10 is too high.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Afyer spending 90 hours with the game I can say with all certainty that Starfield is literally 2023 version of Oblivion but in space.

Starfield is worse than Skyrim. The story is much more basic and blander. And because you have hundreds of planets with almost nothing to do with them, it ruins the scope of it as well.

Almost EVERYTHING is a mass copy/paste, so everything feels exactly the same. I would even consider this game below average. I think even the current 7/10 is too high.

Cant speak to the main quest line as I've not touched it but overall its a better game than skyrim for me as its literally the only Bethesda game I've not completed. It blows skyrim out the water for me. I dropped skyrim as it just didn't grab me like the others.

I should give another go one day.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Cant speak to the main quest line as I've not touched it but overall its a better game than skyrim for me as its literally the only Bethesda game I've not completed. It blows skyrim out the water for me. I dropped skyrim as it just didn't grab me like the others.

I should give another go one day.

I can confirm. Characters, writing, side stories, quest design and role playing aspects are light years ahead of Skyrim or Fallout 4.

ZehDon

Tell me you haven't played Starfield without saying you haven't played Starfield.

Imagine writing essays all weekend in an effort to try and tell everyone who is playing a game they haven't played that it isn't good.

The way Starfield has people bothered is awe inspiring. 10/10.
Who is doing that?

Tell me you haven't played Starfield without saying you haven't played Starfield.
Did he burn the bodies in the beginning of the game?

Last edited:

Crayon

Nah I have to disagree ... 50 hours is actually a good chunk of time to put in a game especially if you're a working adult. I have a hard time thinking somebody can play a game for 50 hours and not like it. And I think your last sentence says it all ... you love it until you don't. If somebody puts 50 hours into a game odds are they are enjoying what they're playing. I loved Elite Dangerous for years until I became bored and then jaded and had to catch the negativity that was creeping in. Now I can say, yes I enjoyed the game and would recommend it to people, with the caveat that after a while it becomes "samey" and repetitive. But what game doesn't feel that way after X hours?

This subject could be it's own thread. idk, it's interesting; the difference between burnout and souring.

I totally agree 50 hours is a lot for someone with a job. I only meant that it was minor compared to how long someone could play a game before they realize something about it. Usually this happens to me because the way the game has been going thus far, it seems like I'm working towards a great payoff. I use just a part of a game as an example - I did something like 50 hours of cyberpunk going down the hacker route with my upgrades. I just could not wait to get the next hack or save up for that next deck. Anyone who had played more could have told me I was going to get to a point where it breaks the game and it's not fun at all.

I've even had it in the case of multi-hundred hour games. Sure maybe I had a good time in a fighting game for 6 months and 200 hours before I got to a level where the meta went to shit... but nobody's trying to put 200 hours into an fg just to realize it was only good because they were not that good.

That said, once in awhile you'll see me checking a negative opinion of mine by saying I played x amount of hours so I had at least that much fun with it. Of course there are a few that I spent 50 hours and had no idea why. Borderlands is simply a poor use of one's time....

I should also say this can go the other way, too. I've played games that I thought were just good for a long time. Maybe be even to completion. Then revisiting them for one reason or another my opinion shifts to it being a better game than I first thought.

It's the same with films. I've watched a film where it's good at the beginning and I enjoy watching it, but as it goes on, it goes downhill and I realise I'm not enjoying it any more. I may continue to watch in the hope it gets better, or at least to find out the ending, which might redeem it. Then I get to the end and there is no payoff, no twist, nothing that made it worth it. So I may go and review it and give a bad review. Would some 'smart' person say 'Ah! You claim the film is bad and yet you watched all two hours of it! Curious!'

A movie that starts off really well and goes to shit. I didn't really think of that because I don't watch many at all. But it maps because what if the movie had an intermission, and you wrote a review during the intermission? Sounds crazy but only because a movie does not take all that long just to finish. You might say in your review "This is seriously going places and I can't wait to see!". When you find out the end sucks, you probably don't want to revisit the movie just to watch the first half. Your opinion about the first half probably would have soured.

irtak

Neo Member
310k player playing on stean right now
I mean score change wait untill mods come vanilla bethesda is yuck

StereoVsn

Well, then why people say "it's a Bethesda game" mostly in context of justyfing it's shortcomings and old design choices?
... because people like that formula? It's a new game in a series with same sort of an approach that people have been playing and liking since Morrowind.

Personally I can't take it anymore. Starfield reviews/opinions and my brief stint with GamePass version showed that I don't have the patience to put up with disjointed approach that the game has and it's technical shortcomings.

However for folks who ignore that there is no other series that does what Bethesda does, hence my folks ignore the downsides.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I would exect a little bit of ambition from billion dolar company having 8 years to create a clean sheet project.
Instead they decide to fuck that and do Fallout in space.

This whole "it's a Bethesda game" argument is basically confirming the game is medicore, but many people don't mind playing medicore games. That's fine. But don't pretend it's some great achievement in gaming.
But.....HAVE YOU PLAYYYYYED Starfield tho?

TrueGrime

While user reviews are decreasing I'm out here in still awed moments finding a near derelict ship with a malfunctioning grav drives that pirates are looting. It's making combat interesting while I enjoy the physics of this 2006 skyrim reskin.

D9nhbm3.gif

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
While user reviews are decreasing I'm out here in still awed moments finding a near derelict ship with a malfunctioning grav drives that pirates are looting. It's making combat interesting while I enjoy the physics of this 2006 skyrim reskin.

D9nhbm3.gif
Great step up graphically, but downhill from gameplay.
Bethesda gonna Bethesda. You don't get Both world from them.

TrueGrime

Just a joke. Why are people like this? I mean come one. The whole thing is a lie

3vbEJQR.jpg

How can you guys really put a HUGE stake on the negative reviews of this game when you have shit like this?!

You can literally quick-select weapons and items (like we saw in the trailers) and since it is an RPG, damage is tied to level, skills, criticals, weapon type, etc.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The entire Neon segment just shows how many lightyears ahead CDPR was in terms of visuals, animations, dialogue, cutscenes, immersion. And that game came out three years ago.

Comparing the two is like comparing current gen versus PS3-era. It's insane how little innovation Starfield has in so many ways. They're not even trying, it's just rinse-repeat from Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Aside from that, the shunning of Nvidia cards is unforgivable. No DLSS, no frame generation, no ray tracing. For such a marquee flagship title this is just shameful. Especially considering the game is extremely poorly optimized. There's zero reason why this game should run at 27 fps in New Atlantis with a 4070, but here we are. Thanks Bethesda, letting the modders do the dirty work once again.

The questing is solid busywork and the moment-to-moment gameplay is okay but man what a never-ending stream of disappointment.

ZehDon

D9nhbm3.gif
Why did you post a gif of Skyrim?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The game is good. However, I think that playing through the story and faction missions become fairly stale after a while. That led me to try some of the other gameplay loops, such as ship building and outpost building.

Ship building is good in concept, but there really needs to be more explanation on what parts fit together and why. I found myself being restricted way too often in the early game. Now that I've put some points into piloting and such I can purchase better parts, essentially upgrading the class of my ship. I do like the freedom though. A ship of any shape can be viable long as you meet certain criteria.

While Outpost building does a better job, connecting outposts is unintuitive to the point that I think it might actually be bugged. This could also use better explanation. This is typical for Bethesda games, but it's even more vague in Starfield.

Overall, for Bethesda, this game is a huge improvement over previous games. Lighting, interior design and main character human character models are much improved over anything we've seen in the past. That being said, animations for those same models are still terrible and breaks immersion.

One of my main complaints about Bethesda games is the lack of impact from weapons. I'm glad to see they've largely addressed this issue and people and animals for the most part look like they've been hit with a shotgun from 2 feet away. Human enemies specifically recoil appropriately, though sometimes the ragdoll physics can go a bit out of control.

Dogfighting in the game seems cumbersome. Allocating power between 5 or 6 different weapons and systems means less time for flying and avoiding fire. That being said, avoiding fire is damn near impossible in the beginning. There no defensive or evasive maneuvering. The whole goal is to get on the enemy ships blindside, hide behind an asteroid or facetank the shots in a game of chicken. The last strategy is particularly infuriating when you are playing chicken with multiple ships trained on you. Get past one and turning to get behind it, means your still in range of two other ships. The battle at The Key is a prime example of when the dogfighting completely falls apart.

Once you get bigger and better ships, ship battles then end up having an opposite problem. Instantly you are OP. Which is equally boring. It's to the point where I don't see a reason to spec into the various ship upgrade skills. Because the game doesn't require them to win battles anymore.

The dialogue in the game is well done, however. I find it particularly delightful to be embroiled in morally gray decision making, persuading individuals. I like the affirmative negative and in-between choices, as well as the option to inquire for information before making your decision, even delegating the decision to your companion or another character in your stead. It is pretty much on par with Baldur's Gate 3 though you do have to spend skill points to unlock other forms of persuasion, like diplomacy or intimidation.

Anything else I go into would probably be spoilers so I'll refrain from that.

Overall I give the game an 8.0/10. It's a great game, but has some flaws. Bought it on steam for the cool hundo. Don't regret the purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom