• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gi.biz - The pressure of expectation adds a sour note to Starfield’s launch

This is by far the best article I've read about Starfield.

It's been a minute since then, and while there’s still plenty of console war idiocy to go around – imagine me here waving a vague hand at pretty much everything that’s been said about Final Fantasy XVI’s commercial performance since launch, for example – most game launches have been spared the worst of the online vitriol.

One vociferous segment of the internet proceeded to lose what little was left of its collective mind – because it’s not enough for Starfield to be a good game. It’s not enough for it to be a pretty great example of Bethesda’s prowess in open-world RPGs. It’s not enough for it to deeply satisfy a niche audience. This was a game in which people had enmeshed part of their personal identity, and it needed to be world-changing; it needed to be the game which would catapult Xbox’s game portfolio onto an even playing field with PlayStation’s studio output, the game whose very name would be the mic drop that would settle any fanboy argument about which platform had better software.

In the minds of many consumers (especially those who are far too online), this isn’t just a game launch – it’s a pivotal battle in the console war. Consequently, any criticism of the game’s imperfections (which are many!) is interpreted as an attack on the Xbox platform; any praise for its achievements (also many!) is dismissed as fanboy raving. The degree of hype focused around Starfield has probably helped its early sales, but it may not serve the game well in the long run.

Both for Starfield’s sake, and for the sake of Xbox itself, I wish expectations had been managed a bit more realistically. It’s great that the Xbox platform has a major exclusive with a significant built-in fanbase – but Starfield would have really shone as a single part of a wider slate of games coming out this autumn, rather than a solo high-profile exclusive that’s expected to carry the platform through to the new year. Bethesda RPGs are not and never will be all things to all gamers; they’re wonderful games beloved by a decent-sized niche audience. Fill in enough decent-sized niches and you get a mainstream platform – this is how the console business has always worked, and for Xbox, Starfield is a good step on that path, but it is only one step.

I wish that Starfield was being given an opportunity to be assessed as a (great, flawed) game, not as a potential platform saviour that the internet’s angriest men are fanatically and personally invested in, and perhaps more broadly, that we could leave behind forever the daft idea that a platform can sink or swim on the strength of any single game.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

feynoob

Banned
I think chatgpt agrees with me here.

The Pitfalls of Lazy Gaming Journalism: Seeking Substance in an Age of Clickbait

Gaming journalism has seen exponential growth alongside the booming video game industry. Gamers worldwide turn to various media outlets, websites, and YouTube channels for reviews, news, and analysis. However, the rise of clickbait, superficial reporting, and sensationalism has given birth to what many call "lazy gaming journalism." In this article, we will explore the challenges and consequences of this trend while highlighting the importance of quality and substance in gaming journalism.

1. Clickbait Titles and Sensationalism:

One of the most prominent issues in gaming journalism today is the proliferation of clickbait titles and sensationalized content. Many websites and YouTube channels resort to hyperbolic headlines and thumbnails to attract clicks and views. This approach often prioritizes generating traffic over delivering informative and unbiased content, which can mislead and disappoint readers.

2. Rushed Reviews and Lack of Depth:

In the rush to be the first to publish reviews, some gaming journalists may not thoroughly explore a game's nuances, leading to incomplete or shallow analyses. This can result in reviews that fail to capture the full experience of a game, leaving readers with an incomplete picture and possibly influencing their purchasing decisions negatively.

3. Prevalence of Sponsored Content:

Another concern is the increasing prevalence of sponsored content and undisclosed partnerships between gaming journalists and developers or publishers. When readers are not aware of these financial arrangements, it can undermine the trust between gamers and journalists, raising questions about the authenticity of reviews and coverage.

4. Fostering Toxicity and Outrage Culture:

Lazy gaming journalism can contribute to the toxicity and outrage culture prevalent in gaming communities. By focusing on controversial topics or fueling outrage without substantial context, some outlets may inadvertently promote negativity and division among gamers, detracting from the enjoyment of the hobby.

5. Lack of Diverse Perspectives:

Quality gaming journalism should represent a diverse range of voices and perspectives within the gaming community. However, the prevalence of lazy journalism can result in the same voices dominating discussions and reviews, leaving out important viewpoints and experiences.

6. Shortcomings in Investigative Reporting:

In-depth investigative reporting is crucial for uncovering issues such as workplace crunch, harassment, or unethical practices within the gaming industry. Lazy journalism, often driven by the need for quick and easy content, may neglect these important stories, leaving important issues unaddressed.

Conclusion:

Lazy gaming journalism poses significant challenges to the industry, potentially misleading readers, eroding trust, and failing to provide the depth and context needed for informed gaming experiences. Gamers deserve content that respects their intelligence and passion for the medium, and journalists have a responsibility to uphold the principles of integrity, accuracy, and diversity in their reporting.

It is essential for gamers to be discerning consumers of media, seeking out reputable sources that prioritize substance and transparency. Additionally, gaming journalists and outlets must strive to maintain ethical standards, offer diverse perspectives, and provide thorough and thoughtful content that enriches the gaming discourse rather than cheapening it with sensationalism and clickbait. In a gaming landscape that continues to evolve, the importance of quality journalism cannot be overstated in providing gamers with valuable insights, critiques, and a deeper understanding of the medium they love.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Except that most of the criticisms are needlessly picky, mostly insipid, and the same general critiques applied to StarField’s sandbox wouldn’t be applied by these same reviewers to first party games from competing platforms.

Welcome to threads on major 1st Party exclusives. Spiderman 1 got it with Puddlegate.

Freaking Puddlegate!

Sleepwalker

Its only fair that if the game has procedurally generated enviromments then Neogaf should have procedurally generated starfield threads.

Last edited:

TonyK

This is by far the best article I've read about Starfield.

It's been a minute since then, and while there’s still plenty of console war idiocy to go around – imagine me here waving a vague hand at pretty much everything that’s been said about Final Fantasy XVI’s commercial performance since launch, for example – most game launches have been spared the worst of the online vitriol.

One vociferous segment of the internet proceeded to lose what little was left of its collective mind – because it’s not enough for Starfield to be a good game. It’s not enough for it to be a pretty great example of Bethesda’s prowess in open-world RPGs. It’s not enough for it to deeply satisfy a niche audience. This was a game in which people had enmeshed part of their personal identity, and it needed to be world-changing; it needed to be the game which would catapult Xbox’s game portfolio onto an even playing field with PlayStation’s studio output, the game whose very name would be the mic drop that would settle any fanboy argument about which platform had better software.

In the minds of many consumers (especially those who are far too online), this isn’t just a game launch – it’s a pivotal battle in the console war. Consequently, any criticism of the game’s imperfections (which are many!) is interpreted as an attack on the Xbox platform; any praise for its achievements (also many!) is dismissed as fanboy raving. The degree of hype focused around Starfield has probably helped its early sales, but it may not serve the game well in the long run.

Both for Starfield’s sake, and for the sake of Xbox itself, I wish expectations had been managed a bit more realistically. It’s great that the Xbox platform has a major exclusive with a significant built-in fanbase – but Starfield would have really shone as a single part of a wider slate of games coming out this autumn, rather than a solo high-profile exclusive that’s expected to carry the platform through to the new year. Bethesda RPGs are not and never will be all things to all gamers; they’re wonderful games beloved by a decent-sized niche audience. Fill in enough decent-sized niches and you get a mainstream platform – this is how the console business has always worked, and for Xbox, Starfield is a good step on that path, but it is only one step.

I wish that Starfield was being given an opportunity to be assessed as a (great, flawed) game, not as a potential platform saviour that the internet’s angriest men are fanatically and personally invested in, and perhaps more broadly, that we could leave behind forever the daft idea that a platform can sink or swim on the strength of any single game.
Very interesting reading. Even if I'm enjoying the game a lot I can relate to that part that was expecting a game changer but it feels disappointed because it's only a great game and not a masterpiece like The Last of Us or God of War.

Thanks for the article because I needed that touch of realism to see how silly is my attitude, that it's even preventing my full enjoyment of the game.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
I wish that Starfield was being given an opportunity to be assessed as a (great, flawed) game,
Sounds like a mid-80s game to me.

Some people over-scored because they invested in the hype (or are catering to an audience who did) and don’t want to back down, some people underscored because they expected something generation-defining and didn’t get it. There are other factors for these scores, of course, but these are exactly the kind of things that review aggregators are intended to smooth out.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So what I am reading here is that Xbox fans wanted an exclusive that could challange Sonys top lineup, and Starfield is not that its just anouther Halo Infinite.

Isent this article essentially stoking the console war debate because its essentially saying that all of Microsoft's releases are mid tier and therefore that means Sony naturally have better releases.

I mean its true but its a back handed complement given the article telling us that people should stop console waring because it means inferior xbox games don't get to be discussed as the 7-8/10 they deserve. Like that's going to set the xbox fanboys right off...

Last edited:
So what I am reading here is that Xbox fans wanted an exclusive that could challange Sonys top lineup, and Starfield is not that its just anouther Halo Infinite.

Isent this article essentially stoking the console war debate because its essentially saying that all of Microsoft's releases are mid tier and therefore that means Sony naturally have better releases.

I mean its true but its a back handed complement given the article telling us that people should stop console waring because it means inferior xbox games don't get to be discussed as the 7-8/10 they deserve. Like that's going to set the xbox fanboys right off...
My interpretation of the article's intent was to say it's not Starfield's fault for being Starfield, it is exactly what a Bethesda RPG typically is. The expectations were set by people whose agendas needed it to be something much more than what a Bethesda RPG typically is, and it's being faulted for not being something it isn't.

The article goes on to say that no one should be expecting a single game to make or break a system in 2023 which is factually accurate and correct. Starfield is just a game, and by all indications it's a pretty good one if you enjoyed Fallout 4 which it greatly resembles except in space.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As far as managing expectations....thats not entirely Todd, Phil, MS, Bethesda's fault. Hell, weeks ago Phil was out here trying to downplay Starfield: 11/10 game wont make a difference, etc.

Some folks in the Xbox community tho....whew. That all I can say without it sounding like a searing hot take. Add to that some ppl that cover MS, Xbox news (...journalists....) actively get involved in console wars and ......

Whew.

Him and Greenberg are made for each other, same with Phil and Todd. It was a match made in ambiguous salesmen heaven.
I never really paid attention to the 'dont believe his lies' meme but...man. Its not a meme...its facts.

Last edited:

damidu

no lies detected, the article
pretty obvious its the warriors and corporate shills, who set the game up for an impossible task and inevitable disappointment
same people are now in denial, trying to act like they got their 95+ masterpiece, all who disagree are coping haterz bla bla
it’s truly a clinical case

Ozzie666

The article isn't wrong, it's just a decent game, it's not the generational defining or saving game they had hoped for. But their words coming out of their mouth say otherwise, as they try to make it more than it is. The PR spin is laughable and it's the same army that supported RedFall or received yellow chairs for Cyberpunk. Dont over hype and then under deliver. This is what happens when you have almost nothing in thank for this year and follow up a title after the smash hit Redfall. Desperation.

AGRacing

In the vacuums of my living room and computer room this is the most fun I've had playing a game this generation. No question whatsoever. And then there's the amount of time I've spent playing...
dtCvPfe.jpg

I haven't done THAT in over a decade.

This is a wonderful game and my time with it hasn't been tainted by anyone or anything.

Finally a sober take on this whole situation but these articles needed to be written before it came out because a lot of people saw this coming a mile away. I saw some great takes on here about what to expect from Starfield of course you had a group of people screaming game of the generation but it wasn't the majority and then you go on YouTube and it's all you saw was videos declaring it the GOAT while Luke Stephens was skeptical the whole time it's why he's one of the best, people need to stop feeding into those dishonest influencers. It's also wild to see journalists get attacked for review scores it seems disagreeing has become a lost art now people just go on the attack it's disgusting

Raven117

My interpretation of the article's intent was to say it's not Starfield's fault for being Starfield, it is exactly what a Bethesda RPG typically is. The expectations were set by people whose agendas needed it to be something much more than what a Bethesda RPG typically is, and it's being faulted for not being something it isn't.

The article goes on to say that no one should be expecting a single game to make or break a system in 2023 which is factually accurate and correct. Starfield is just a game, and by all indications it's a pretty good one if you enjoyed Fallout 4 which it greatly resembles except in space.
Pretty much this. (But saying Bethesda rpgs are “niche” after Skyrim and FO4 is silly).

And this is way better than fallout 4.

Wish the UI wasn’t so clunky though.

But yeah, enjoying the game as I like Bethesda games and this is in fact a good one from them.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
As far as managing expectations....thats not entirely Todd, Phil, MS, Bethesda's fault. Hell, weeks ago Phil was out here trying to downplay Starfield: 11/10 game wont make a difference, etc.

He went out of his way to downplay it by implicitly labelling it an 11/10 game?

Nah, Phil knows exactly what he’s doing. When it comes to marketing, at least.

Success

That is a good article. It is strange to think that there is videogame identity politics.

Indeed.

The mods are treating Starfied like Hogwarts Legacy is treated on ResetEra.

Instead of simply allowing the majority of users to discuss different aspects of the game the mods shutdown and lock any Starfield related thread.

A vocal minority of users complain and it leads to the mods capitulating.

If these vocal users really don't care for these threads then they would simply stop posting in them.

Top Bottom