• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

Cyberpunkd

Reskin. I love how years of work gets reduced to a single word like it has meaning.
What new does Starfield do that Skyrim didn’t except prettier, bigger? Look at Witcher 1, Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 and tell me you don’t see a studio improving their craft with each game, not only when it comes to graphics (which also are not that much improved with Starfield because once again they used Gamebryo and once again they pretended they didn’t).

You guys didn't play any previous Bethesda game?

This is like that only. In Fallout 3 you are stuck in a vault. In Skyrim you are on trial.

First 2-3 hrs are just that.
Skyrim exists in it's own vacuum because it's starts out with a bang and then immediately opens up after you go through a few rooms and a cave. It taught you enough to survive, then told you to have fun, then immediately(if you followed the path they wanted you to go down i.e. the town nearby) it sent you on a quest to a dangerous dungeon atop a mountain to recover a stone tablet that would kick off everything. Looking back, Skyrim's opening was paced to near perfection.

Other Bethesda RPGs, especially the Fallout series, could take multiple hours to simply begin/open up. I think it will be a long time before we see another game replicate what Skyrim did with it's opening and overall pacing.

Zones

The lazy start screen or other manufactured controversies. Lots of people have a strange vested interest in the game to tank.
giphy.gif

This has always been the case with nearly every major PlayStation Studios games, so welcome to the club I guess?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Peaked at 250k concurrent.

Currently 150k in game.

Staggered launch so it’s difficult to compare it to other games.

Elden Ring’s 950k is mind blowing in retrospect.
Yup Elden Ring was a phenomen and definitely the game of the generation for these consoles, last gen and pc.

I think starfield will make it to overwhelmingly positive. Its just a matter of when.

Last edited:

Roberts

Best and most immersive, fun, ambitious, wild game of the year and nothing comes close. Bethesda's best game, too. But also because it has so much going for it, it takes time to fully grasp the scope they went for, so I can see somebody feeling let down or disappointed after only playing an hour or two. It's like Dostoyevski or The Wire of games in that regard.

TrueGrime

What new does Starfield do that Skyrim didn’t except prettier, bigger? Look at Witcher 1, Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 and tell me you don’t see a studio improving their craft with each game, not only when it comes to graphics (which also are not that much improved with Starfield because once again they used Gamebryo and once again they pretended they didn’t).

You know a post is bait when it's mainly trying to say a game of an entirely different genre, new gen, new engine, is a reskin of game made more than a decade ago, then criticizes that landing on any solid ground on any planet you're able to is "small" when that small area is over the size of Skyrim's map and has more randomness with things to see and do than in an entire universe worth of No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous. Then a post before says that fucking NMS is a better exploration game. LOL.

NO.

I put more than 100+ hours into NMS while never caring to start the main quest, was bored with "exploration" after the 4th hour of system after carbon copy system and only wanted to S-Class every ship, gear, and fleet I had. The only thing NMS does better than Starfield is that the quality of the DLC is great after a shit launch is free.

Last edited:

Helghan

If you check the reviews with under two hours played - meaning they can leave their review and still refund the game - you’ll see the review bombers.
Who takes time out of their day for that... Buying a game, barely playing it, asking for a refund, all just to write a bad review for something you don't care about.

Elysium44

Banned
Didn’t say they were - I said you’d find them in those review. Seriously, go read some - won’t take you long to spot them.

Most of the negative reviews are well over two hours. (I know the early access players could play for longer and refund before today though.)

I am not seeing any obvious review bombing yet.

Freeman76

Good stuff! Over time that score will rise as well, once the initial hype dies down and the review bombers move on to the next thing they hate. I am surprised it hasnt done gargantuan numbers on steam, like Cyberpunk or Hogwarts did, as its just as big a deal as those were, but maybe the weekend will see bigger numbers

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For context, Starfield is currently sitting between Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in terms of Steam reviews.

uXCTGYk.jpg

• Fallout New Vegas : 95.24%
  • Skyrim : 93.88%
  • Oblivion : 93.77%
  • Morrowind : 93.14%
  • Fallout 4 : 81.85%
  • Starfield 81.19%
  • Fallout 76 : 71.73%
Draugoth Draugoth might be worth adding to your OP ^

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I'm surprised by how poor the PC optimisation and performance seems to be. Usually steam reviewers take that pretty serious

But why wouldn't it be other than that... did people think it was secretly bad or something, like a big conspiracy

Last edited:

Thyuda

For context, Starfield is currently sitting between Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in terms of Steam reviews.

uXCTGYk.jpg

• Starfield 81.19%
Interesting, still showing 86% for me on the steam page.
Nevermind my browser had some weird filter setting for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

The reality is the honey moon will soon be over just Like Zelda and Diablo, Initial impressions were blind loyalty (paid loyalty), then reality set in. All three are good, but not generational defining titles, plenty of flaws and disappointments. Meanwhile, Baldurs Gate while not perfect seems to be holding steady.

From someone who owns all three consoles, 6-7/10 is about right for this game, fair score. If your expecting the modding community to increase that score and save your game, I don't know what to tell you. Just to be clear 6-7/10 is a solid score, people hand out 10/10 to easily these days, including Baldurs. Enjoy the game.

mrmustard

Banned

uXCTGYk.jpg

• Starfield 81.19%
That's actually very good, because those games were not exclusive and therefore had no no life review bombers that i bet my ass on Starfield has a lot of.

Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 are some of my favourite games of all time so I'm really looking forward to playing this one eventually! Truly timeless classics that I never grow tired of playing.

But I'm in no rush, gotta wait for the modding community to really make it shine.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's actually very good, because those games were not exclusive and therefore had no no life review bombers that i bet my ass on Starfield has a lot of.
I hate review bombing. That's why I appreciate Steam's verified user-reviews the most among all platforms, so this would be pretty accurate. I hope other platforms implement something similar.

yazenov

uXCTGYk.jpg

• Starfield 81.19%

So it is currently the worst-reviewed Bethesda game . I'm not counting Fallout 76 because that game was shit.

Thyuda

Yes, but it will show their play time. That is how steam review works.
People wont trust your review if its under 2 hour.
Eh, I'd say it depends.

2 hour meme reviews, yes, but in general, if a game cannot capture my interest within 2 hours, it's probably not worth my time. Albeit I'd probably extend that for games like Starfield to around 5 hours or so.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Seems like lots of the negative reviews have under 2hrs playtime
The “prologue” is shit. It does nothing to hype or explain the rest of the game. If I would have just played the prologue I would have given the game a 65.

feynoob

The numbers in the link are live right now. It’s available to buy and play everywhere right now is it not?
You need to wait 10-12 hours.
It's Wednesday, everyone is working and doesn't have holiday.
They will play it when they go home.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You need to wait 10-12 hours.
It's Wednesday, everyone is working and doesn't have holiday.
They will play it when they go home.
The number may well grow but it launched between 5 and 8pm throughout America.

• West Coast US: September 5 at 5pm PDT
  • Central US: September 5 at 7pm CDT
  • East Coast US: September 5 at 8pm EDT

feynoob

The number may well grow but it launched between 5 and 8pm throughout America.

• West Coast US: September 5 at 5pm PDT
  • Central US: September 5 at 7pm CDT
  • East Coast US: September 5 at 8pm EDT
And today is a working day.
It's 6:37 pm here for me.

The 5 day early launched during holiday, when people had no work(US)/Friday.
It's different than launching it on middle of the week work.

bbeach123

The opening was bad , but its not too slow bad . Its too fast , you going from a miner to be given a ship , then take off fighting 1v3 pirates ship , then go solo the entire pirates camp .Everything happen in like 30 minute . I mean wtf .

And then you was throw into the biggest city in all bethesda game (ok since 2000) yet .

Should take it slower , start at sol , Mars or something .

Last edited:

GHG

Can't people simply refund games on Steam and still write a review?

Yes but:
  • If you do a refund during the early access period then you cannot leave a review.
  • If you've refunded the game after the normal release period and then leave a review, the tag "product refunded" will appear next to your review along with the playtime.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned

uXCTGYk.jpg

• Starfield 81.19%
He prob doesn’t want to highlight that it’s basically the worst reviewed Bethesda game if you exclude 76 😝

Last edited:
Top Bottom