• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

Banjo64

cumsessed
50 hours played:

I found a 200 year old generation ship, launched at sublight speed from Earth to colonize another planet, and I discovered the people born and raised on said ship all spoke with clearly distinct Earth accents like Russian, African, English etc. Are you joking? Did the Africans isolate themselves in a ghetto in Cargo Bay 3 for two centuries? Did the Russians conquer and establish a fiefdom on deck 9? Bethesda's writers have clearly never experienced a truly multicultural society, because it doesn't work like this. After growing up together in a community sealed inside a spaceship they should speak the same English accent, and probably a strange form of English that distinctly diverged from what everyone else speaks after two centuries in isolation. But that idea was just too clever for Bethesda.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Can't people simply refund games on Steam and still write a review?
GHG beat me to it. Also, how many people do you think will buy a game, play the game for 2 hours, and refund it, just to review bomb it? Maybe 1%? That will not affect the average.

Besides, if your theory is that Starfield will be review-bombed because it is an exclusive, that means PlayStation fanboys will be review-bombing it. So why would Steam users (who can play the game) would go through all this trouble and review bomb the game? It makes 0 sense. Sorry, but your theory seems flawed.

Yes but:
  • If you do a refund during the early access period then you cannot leave a review.
  • If you've refunded the game after the normal release period and then leave a review, the tag "product refunded" will appear next to your review along with the playtime.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He prob doesn’t want to highlight that it’s basically the worst reviewed Bethesda game if you exclude 76 😝
😂 To be fair, Fallout 76 should be included. Bethesda did work on that.

I know, Bethesda fans never wanted to associate Fallout 76 and BGS until now, but now it seems like they have a very solid reason and they will say that BGS made Fallout 76 😄

feynoob

😂 To be fair, Fallout 76 should be included. Bethesda did work on that.

I know, Bethesda fans never wanted to associate Fallout 76 and BGS until now, but now it seems like they have a very solid reason and they will say that BGS made Fallout 76 😄
Main bethesda A team never did that much with fallout 76. They were busy with starfield and the engine.

mrmustard

Banned
GHG beat me to it. Also, how many people do you think will buy a game, play the game for 2 hours, and refund it, just to review bomb it? Maybe 1%? That will not affect the average.

Besides, if your theory is that Starfield will be review-bombed because it is an exclusive, that means PlayStation fanboys will be review-bombing it. So why would Steam users (who can play the game) would go through all this trouble and review bomb the game? It makes 0 sense. Sorry, but your theory seems flawed.
People are more sad than you might think. Didn't even spent 1 minute searching and found lots of reviews with playtime <2 hours. Not saying they are all stupid fanboys, but some of them for sure. I remember that they even announced the bombing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People are more sad than you might think. Didn't even spent 1 minute searching and found lots of reviews with playtime <2 hours. Not saying they are all stupid fanboys, but some of them for sure. I remember that they even announced the bombing.
But genuine buyers who don't like the game will also refund the game within 2 hours - because that's Steam's policy. You're assuming that ALL of them did it to revive bomb, which doesn't make sense.

Also, as I said, it is not exclusive to Xbox. Steam users can play this game. If a PS5 player has a PC/Steam, they most likely have it to play these exclusive Xbox games.

I will expect user review-bombs on Metacritic, but not on Steam. At the very least, not enough to move the % meaningfully.

mrmustard

Banned
But genuine buyers who don't like the game will also refund the game within 2 hours - because that's Steam's policy. You're assuming that ALL of them did it to revive bomb, which doesn't make sense.
Where did i say that? I even said the oposite: 'Not saying they are all stupid fanboys, but some of them for sure'.
Also, as I said, it is not exclusive to Xbox. Steam users can play this game. If a PS5 player has a PC/Steam, they most likely have it to play these exclusive Xbox games.

I will expect user review-bombs on Metacritic, but not on Steam. At the very least, not enough to move the % meaningfully.
Doesn't matter. For the warriors pc + console still counts as exclusive. Many PS games are on pc and get bombed as well. Never underestimate the stupidity of fanboys. Not sure how much it moves the % for Starfield, but i guess it's more than just 1%, because the hype seem to have triggered quite some people.

Hope those people get a life some day and just enjoy gaming.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For context, Starfield is currently sitting between Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in terms of Steam reviews.

uXCTGYk.jpg

• Fallout New Vegas : 95.24%
  • Skyrim : 93.88%
  • Oblivion : 93.77%
  • Morrowind : 93.14%
  • Fallout 4 : 81.85%
  • Starfield 81.19%
  • Fallout 76 : 71.73%
Draugoth Draugoth might be worth adding to your OP ^
Updated.

Y552o9j.jpg

StereoVsn

People are thinking up conspiracies for Steam reviews are wild. You may have a very small percentage of folks doing that but majority of reviews under 2 hrs simply refunded the game. It's $70 so it's a decision that has to be made quicky.

And you have negative reviews with way over 2 hrs as well. This is pretty normal spread overall and upper 80s reviews on Steam is pretty darn good.

winjer

Gold Member
Its actually a lot actually. More than 4 AAA titles combined

IMG-1936.jpg

Although true, we have to consider that Starfield is a brand new game. But those 4 games from Sony were not.
We can't expect that a port of a 3 year old game to have the same impact.

Compare to other big releases of the year, and Starfield doesn't look that impressive. It's still good, but not amazing.
For example:

YhIxdz5.png

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Although true, we have to consider that Starfield is a brand new game. But those 4 games from Sony were not.
We can't expect that a port of a 3 year old game to have the same impact.

Apples and oranges. Those games when released on PC were already old, they weren't debut AAA releases.

Although true, we’re talking about 4 of the biggest Sony games ever released in recent years, and pitting 4 titles against 1

Last edited:

ArtHands

LMAO why did you bring up old PS ports to compare them to Starfield?

Please explain how your fanboy brain works here….

These some of the biggest titles ever released in recent years. And this game beats them all. Combined.

Its a great testament

Last edited:

Kacho

those who have been playing it for six days weren’t allowed to rate it, now that they are they rated it, it is really not rocket science by the way you people just chose to be morons
It’s up to 13k reviews now. Holy shit man!

Draugoth

Gold Member
Wrong. Its a myth or misconception made up story by Bethesda fanboys.

Mark my words: Instead of developing TESVI, Microsoft will force their studio on fixing the game.

Considering all these reviews are from people who paid $30-50 extra just to play the game early… isn’t 11% negative a bad sign?

Yes, the game is the weakest Bethesda release after F76.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Are you seriously comparing day 1 releases to PS exclusives that were released on PS 1st and then ported to PC years later? I mean, LOL.

Also, Starfield caters more to PC audiences than console exclusive games that cater to mostly console players.
They always will have an argument, next they will say is because of gamepass.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
50 hours played:

I found a 200 year old generation ship, launched at sublight speed from Earth to colonize another planet, and I discovered the people born and raised on said ship all spoke with clearly distinct Earth accents like Russian, African, English etc. Are you joking? Did the Africans isolate themselves in a ghetto in Cargo Bay 3 for two centuries? Did the Russians conquer and establish a fiefdom on deck 9? Bethesda's writers have clearly never experienced a truly multicultural society, because it doesn't work like this. After growing up together in a community sealed inside a spaceship they should speak the same English accent, and probably a strange form of English that distinctly diverged from what everyone else speaks after two centuries in isolation. But that idea was just too clever for Bethesda.

Fucking facts. I loved that mission but this is true. Should have had them speak like belters from expanse as a nod.

Flutta

Banned
These some of the biggest titles ever released in recent years. And this game beats them all. Combined.

Its a great testament
i don’t even think you understand what you just tried to do there.

Anything to ease your stressed out little fanboy heart. Whatever floats your boat i guess 😅

ArtHands

Are you seriously comparing day 1 releases to PS exclusives that were released on PS 1st and then ported to PC years later? I mean, LOL.

Also, Starfield caters more to PC audiences than console exclusive games that cater to mostly console players.

Yes? PC players play all games, and Sony is happy enough that they are continuing to port over more PS games to PC.

i don’t even think you understand what you just tried to do there.

Anything to ease your stressed out little fanboy heart. Whatever floats your boat i guess 😅

Nah, I will take it that you can’t argue there then.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Fallout 4 was literally the same on PC…And that game was meh.
So ‘Overwhelmingly Positive’ on Steam doesnt mean much for a BGS game. They have always had a bit of a free pass on PC and Im sure Mods and the prospect of them adds a lot to PC players perception.
And at the end of the day reviews really dont negate the criticisms of which the most egregious ones are arguably the most important ie Non Persistent Planets,the small size of explorable areas, lack of variety for outposts etc etc, and these are objective criticisms. I hate to jump on the bandwagon but NMS does everything better, bar NPC’s and the shooting.

feynoob

Yeah, Bethesda studios is huge and it's not 1 part studio.
There is Maryland, Austin and more.
Hence why fallout 76 was mini Bethesda and not the ES and Fallout studio (A list Bethesda).

Bethesda spent alot of time fixing the engine and working on the early game (that is how game production works). Es6 went in to full production this year.

ArtHands

man, we have come to the part where legit players’ reviews don’t count

yazenov

Yes? PC players play all games, and Sony is happy enough that they are continuing to port over more PS games to PC.

Nah, I will take it that you can’t argue there then.

Are you new to sales threads? Late ports, especially more than a year old port that has sold well on the initial platform never sell close to the initial release sales. This is due to several factors such as people who wanted the game already played it or the hype and marketing for the game died down, as publishers spend less on ads and marketing the ports.

There are only a few exceptions but this is generally the rule. Please stop embarrassing yourself with these nonsense comparisons.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hence why fallout 76 was mini Bethesda and not the ES and Fallout studio (A list Bethesda).

Bethesda spent alot of time fixing the engine and working on the early game (that is how game production works). Es6 went in to full production this year.
No, there is no such thing like a "mini Bethesda." As can be clearly seen in the Tweet, the "bulk of Bethesda Game Studios" was working on Fallout 76. That leaves a very small team that would have worked on Starfield concepts and ideas.

Last edited:

yazenov

Sad Mask GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Saber

Gold Member
Whatever the score is, Steam is probably the place it gonna sells. Its probably made for steam, taking account the possibility of mod support.

Dane

Fallout 76 was made by Bethesda Austin, previously called Battle Cry Studios that was making a game of the same name, Zenimax and their MP bullshit forced into had Bethesda Maryland to help the last 12-18 months of development which also saw veterans quitting from the company because of it.

feynoob

No, there is no such thing like a "mini Bethesda." As can be clearly seen in the Tweet, the "bulk of Bethesda Game Studios" was working on Fallout 76. That leaves a very small team that would have worked on Starfield concepts and ideas.
Bethesda has studios like arkane (Lyon and Austin). Which means they can work on 2 different projects.I don't know what more do you need.

If that makes you breath very well, good for you.

ArtHands

Are you new to sales threads? Late ports, especially more than a year old port that has sold well on the initial platform never sell close to the initial release sales. This is due to several factors such as people who wanted the game already played it or the hype and marketing for the game died down, as publishers spend less on marking the ports.

There are only a few exceptions but this is generally the rule. Please stop embarrassing yourself with these nonsense comparisons.

No? There is a reason why Sony eventually give up their exclusivity stance and decides to sell on PC.

They see PC as a goldmine, and they still do. Which is why their upcoming gaas are day one on PC too.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Those tweets directly contradicts your point.
Edit Arkane are different and not credited for fo76 I believe

Last edited:
The first 2-3 hours for me were rough but I'm getting into it now. It's not very open world. Instead of having a huge single map to explore it's obviously spread across multiple planets with space "corridors" in between. Other than that it's an improved Skyrim/Fallout game and instead of being fantasy/post apocalyptical it's sci fi.

If you liked Skyrim/Fallout 4 then you'll love this. I can see why people were disappointed if they were expecting something like No Man's Sky/Elite Dangerous as far as space goes.

I'm enjoying it but it has flaws. Luckily I'm on PC so I can mod it. Not that it's an excuse. I hope Bethesda do better with Elder Scrolls VI because to be honest it's probably going to start getting boring "playing the same game" all the time. I think they are held back by whatever engine they are using. They are talented and can make good games but it feels like they're stuck doing pretty much the same thing all the time.

Last edited:

Keihart

if you like bethesda games you cant be that bothered by the bugs and jank, you might like them and have fun with them even.
this all makes complete sense.

Madflavor

Considering all these reviews are from people who paid $30-50 extra just to play the game early… isn’t 11% negative a bad sign?

I'm not ashamed to admit if I paid $100 for a game, I'd probably be doing some heavy copium too.

Thankfully I only paid $32. Still had some leftover Steam Giftcards from last Christmas.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Bethesda has studios like arkane (Lyon and Austin). Which means they can work on 2 different projects.I don't know what more do you need.

If that makes you breath very well, good for you.
WHAT? No! That’s Arkane. Those 2 Arkane studios were working on Deathloop and Prey/Redfall.

We’re talking about Bethesda, the game studio. Not Bethesda, the publisher.

Top Bottom