• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield releases September 6, 2023

Alebrije

If Starfield delivers a Fallout 76 experience with improved graphics and an almost none glitches the game will be great...

Regarding story have little hope unless Bethesda improved writers because I have seen better stories on a shampoo label than FO4.

DaGwaphics

I don't necessarily think it needs aliens, I'd be fine if this is just about human interactions in these space colonies, of course with some bad actors taking advantage of the wild west nature of it.

There are some real balls up in this thread lol. We got mad men seriously suggesting that Spider-Man 2 has ANY chance whatsoever of hurting Starfield's launch when Starfield is launching on PC, Xbox, and going to be day one on Game Pass? Spider-Man 2 is a PS5 next-gen exclusive that is a vastly different kind of experience from the one people expect when they think to play something like Starfield. Not only are the games separated by platform, there's simply no way that the hardcore audiences that love them some Bethesda RPGs are going to be swayed in large enough numbers by Spider-Man 2 to ignore the next Todd Howard-directed Bethesda RPG epic to lead it to have a bad or weak launch. Eradicate the wet dream from your minds. It ain't gonna happen. Forza Horizon 5 had 18 million people playing it after a month, Halo Infinite had 20 million. Starfield will exceed both.

And the more people are choosing to play it via Game Pass, the less likely it is to show up high on sales charts. That's no longer the bar for success anymore for Xbox first-party studios with the game pass strategy. It's about growing and keeping people in Game Pass. That's where the real money is for Microsoft. Starfield will be a monster hit on Steam at launch, far bigger than anything Halo Infinite achieved. I can't see Spider-Man 2 doing a thing to impact that. Starfield will easily exceed the Fallout 4 Steam peak, for example.

See this list here?

V5F46ws.png

Everything above that arrow as low as Hogwarts Legacy and as high as Cyberpunk 2077 is Starfield territory on Steam come launch time unless the Game Pass launch on PC is just way bigger than I expect (which is certainly possible).

Havoc2049

Same.

But for once I wish a game would introduce them with a realistic depiction in regards to what kind of psychological, cultural, religious etc. Implications this would have on humans and our place in the universe.

The way the dyson sphere thing got showcased at the end of the trailer sparks some hope though. I just don't want another game where aliens are just reskinned humans with a slightly different/more advanced arsenal of weapons. I want that Arrival type shit.
Same. I would be down for some scary and mysterious Thargoid type encounters, like in Elite Dangerous.

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
Perfect release window. I’ll get all my Diablo 4, SF6, and FF16 gaming out of the way and then this game can easily consume my time until November releases .

Given that we can go to Mars I will be seriously disappointed if a talented modder doesn't create a quest line with the ancient precursors of the Mechanicum. Perhaps even referencing Big E personally checking in on the Void Dragon after imprisoning it.

Fredrik

Forza Horizon 5 had 18 million people playing it after a month, Halo Infinite had 20 million. Starfield will exceed both.
Easy now. Those were on Xbox One as well. Starfield is Xbox Series and PC only. And you won’t see the total numbers anyway since MS will only talk about Gamepass numbers while Starfield is going to be absolutely gigantic on Steam. It’s the most wishlisted game on Steam now, #1.

Easy now. Those were on Xbox One as well. Starfield is Xbox Series and PC only. And you won’t see the total numbers anyway since MS will only talk about Gamepass numbers while Starfield is going to be absolutely gigantic on Steam. It’s the most wishlisted game on Steam now, #1.

It is the much larger reception on Steam that's responsible for why I see it exceeding both Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. I'm honestly expecting up to 30 million. Maybe I'm overshooting it, but I really see it going that high. Starfield will be much better received and more popular in the rest of the world besides the USA than either Forza Horizon or Halo Infinite is my take. Though Forza Horizon 5 is quite popular outside of the USA, especially popular in India from what many who live there tell me.

Fredrik

It is the much larger reception on Steam that's responsible for why I see it exceeding both Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. I'm honestly expecting up to 30 million. Maybe I'm overshooting it, but I really see it going that high. Starfield will be much better received and more popular in the rest of the world besides the USA than either Forza Horizon or Halo Infinite is my take. Though Forza Horizon 5 is quite popular outside of the USA, especially popular in India from what many who live there tell me.
It’ll be huge on Steam, that’s where Bethesda’s games are thriving. But will MS or Valve show those numbers? Have they showed numbers for Forza Horizon or Halo or Flight Sim? I’m thinking we’ll just have the isolated MS bubble player number, the rest we can only speculate on. I remember an interview with Todd where they talked about the 30 million copies sold for Skyrim, a number that has been floating around, he said they were way way higher than that, no direct figure mentioned though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The game will likely have long legs and 50 different re-releases as well. I'd expect it to do a lot lifetime.

Stuart360

It’ll be huge on Steam, that’s where Bethesda’s games are thriving. But will MS or Valve show those numbers? Have they showed numbers for Forza Horizon or Halo or Flight Sim? I’m thinking we’ll just have the isolated MS bubble player number, the rest we can only speculate on. I remember an interview with Todd where they talked about the 30 million copies sold for Skyrim, a number that has been floating around, he said they were way way higher than that, no direct figure mentioned though.
Fallout 4 is over 30mil now, and Skyrim over 40mil.

Its not fair to expect Starfield to get those numbers though with no Playstation, and the game being on Gamepass.
The game will be huge on Steam, but if 5 years from now the game has SOLD 20mil, it would of done well.

Fredrik

Its not fair to expect Starfield to get those numbers though with no Playstation, and the game being on Gamepass.
The game will be huge on Steam, but if 5 years from now the game has SOLD 20mil, it would of done well.
Yeah, and it’s not just ”no Playstation”, compared to Skyrim it’s - no PS3, PS4, PS5, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Switch.

Very good release day for Christmas season. Release at September with many bugs and two month later comes out the patches (hopefully the official not the community ones). Also it would good be time to upgrade to series X because i think 2024 would be the Xbox year.

But do we know the split of these 40 milions, is it 30 milions PC and 10 at consoles? It would be considered success or failure depend the amount they sold for each device. But i think if the Starfield delivers then the people that don't care about papa Sony or mama Microsoft will buy Xbox to play it. Good games sells consoles.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah, and it’s not just ”no Playstation”, compared to Skyrim it’s - no PS3, PS4, PS5, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Switch.

The game had sold over 20 million copies before PS4 and Xbox One released.
PC's also a MUCH bigger market than it used to be back then.

MS studios are allowed to reveal sales, if they want. Rare has revealed Sea of Thieves sales on Steam, for example.

Ozriel

M$FT
But do we know the split of these 40 milions, is it 30 milions PC and 10 at consoles? It would be considered success or failure depend the amount they sold for each device. But i think if the Starfield delivers then the people that don't care about papa Sony or mama Microsoft will buy Xbox to play it. Good games sells consoles.

Most of the launch week sales were on Xbox 360, but those were different times, and Steam wasn't as ubiquitous then.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It will take a long time to get to any numbers like that. But if it's manages Skyrim levels of critical praise it could have a very long tail.

I think he is including GamePass installs when he says that. But of course I don't think Xbox Series has an installed base of 30 million. It's not something that can happen any time soon.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Could someone explain to me what this game is about is it like Mass Effect does it have a story or is it open world without a story ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Could someone explain to me what this game is about is it like Mass Effect does it have a story or is it open world without a story ?

Have you played Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 ? The basic game structure will broadly be the same, except you will be traveling multiple planets instead of being on a single big landmass.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The earlier trailers lay out a bare bones story. You're the last of the "explorers" or something, exploring what's left of uncharted space. You find some relics of unknown origin that could hold secrets about something (center of universe / advanced civilization?). There are multiple factions to join with other stories like past Bethesda games. Then side quests as well.

DonJimbo

The earlier trailers lay out a bare bones story. You're the last of the "explorers" or something, exploring what's left of uncharted space. You find some relics of unknown origin that could hold secrets about something (center of universe / advanced civilization?). There are multiple factions to join with other stories like past Bethesda games. Then side quests as well.
Seems to be a very nice game im really excited to experience it 😊

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't necessarily think it needs aliens, I'd be fine if this is just about human interactions in these space colonies, of course with some bad actors taking advantage of the wild west nature of it.
Agreed. It is kind of refreshing to have something sci-fi and intergalactic and not have alien spaces in it.

DaGwaphics

The game had sold over 20 million copies before PS4 and Xbox One released.
PC's also a MUCH bigger market than it used to be back then.

MS studios are allowed to reveal sales, if they want. Rare has revealed Sea of Thieves sales on Steam, for example.

Absolutely, look at Hogwarts and the numbers it did with 60-65% coming from PC. A high quality game will move the units it is going to move regardless of platform (because it will sell the platform if need be).

SF Kosmo

It has a story, quite a lot of story, in fact. It's expected to have one of the largest scripts ever, with over 250,000 lines of dialogue.

But unlike Mass Effect it will be open world in structure and will let you do some of the open worldy stuff we see in games like No Man's Sky like trading and settlement building and exploring procedurally generated worlds.

So it's kind of trying to be a best of all worlds thing.

Stuart360

Agreed. It is kind of refreshing to have something sci-fi and intergalactic and not have alien spaces in it.
Well it does have alien creatures in it atleast, and alien artifacts.
Besides is plainly obvious to me that the story involves building some kind of stargate from lost alien artifacts you collect over the course of the game. Then at the end you probably go through the stargate and meet aliens i guess.

I must admit i would of prefered the game being more Mass Effect/Star Trek, with alien races in the game. That could be saved for a sequel though if i'm right about the plot.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

It has a story, quite a lot of story, in fact. It's expected to have one of the largest scripts ever, with over 250,000 lines of dialogue.

But unlike Mass Effect it will be open world in structure and will let you do some of the open worldy stuff we see in games like No Man's Sky like trading and settlement building and exploring procedurally generated worlds.

So it's kind of trying to be a best of all worlds thing.
Im very excited for it 😊

SF Kosmo

I don't get this line of wishful thinking

Separate platforms different genres both games will be monsters
Mostly but personally I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself if Starfield and Spider-Man come out at the same time. Obviously I am buying both but I don't know what I would play.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I could see it being some kind of humanoid alien. That's the tasteful way to pull it off lately, like the Ancients in Stargate basically. The relics came from somewhere.
Well it does have alien creatures in it atleast, and alien artifacts.
Besides is plainly obvious to me that the story involves building some kind of stargate from lost alien artifacts you collect over the course of the game. Then at the end you probably go through the stargate and meat aliens i guess.

I must admit i would of prefered the game being more Mass Effect/Star Trek, with alien races in the game. That could be saved for a sequel though if i'm right about the plot.
Yeah I meant like full Mass Effect or Star Wars type alien civilization that act, walk, and talk like humans and are roughly at the same level of advancement. I think it has been a bit overdone in movies and games.

Interstellar is one of my favorite films, and I'd like for more games to be in the same veins.

But, ultimately, it is just a matter of preferences. Some people would prefer it otherwise, as Stuart wants a more Mass Effect type world.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Mostly but personally I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself if Starfield and Spider-Man come out at the same time. Obviously I am buying both but I don't know what I would play.
Oh I am 100% buying both and I would venture to guess anyhow who has both platforms and are wanting both games will have both games.

As far as what to play lets say both launch same week I am 100% playing Starfield first as SM2 being a single player game I usually take my time with those

But I expect SM2 first week of Nov so will have a good 2 months with Starfield first

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There are some real balls up in this thread lol. We got mad men seriously suggesting that Spider-Man 2 has ANY chance whatsoever of hurting Starfield's launch when Starfield is launching on PC, Xbox, and going to be day one on Game Pass? Spider-Man 2 is a PS5 next-gen exclusive that is a vastly different kind of experience from the one people expect when they think to play something like Starfield. Not only are the games separated by platform, there's simply no way that the hardcore audiences that love them some Bethesda RPGs are going to be swayed in large enough numbers by Spider-Man 2 to ignore the next Todd Howard-directed Bethesda RPG epic to lead it to have a bad or weak launch. Eradicate the wet dream from your minds. It ain't gonna happen. Forza Horizon 5 had 18 million people playing it after a month, Halo Infinite had 20 million. Starfield will exceed both.

And the more people are choosing to play it via Game Pass, the less likely it is to show up high on sales charts. That's no longer the bar for success anymore for Xbox first-party studios with the game pass strategy. It's about growing and keeping people in Game Pass. That's where the real money is for Microsoft. Starfield will be a monster hit on Steam at launch, far bigger than anything Halo Infinite achieved. I can't see Spider-Man 2 doing a thing to impact that. Starfield will easily exceed the Fallout 4 Steam peak, for example.

See this list here?

V5F46ws.png

Everything above that arrow as low as Hogwarts Legacy and as high as Cyberpunk 2077 is Starfield territory on Steam come launch time unless the Game Pass launch on PC is just way bigger than I expect (which is certainly possible).

Spider Man 2 will be a big hit, but only on PS5...You're post nails pretty much What Starfield will do to the Xbox and PC landscape. If it is on the quality level of a Fallout/Skyrim...Which I expect TBH - It is going to be gargantuan!

People acting like Todd and his team don't know what they are doing. It's like expecting a Sony Santa Monica game to suddenly turn out absolute dog shit. It ain't going to happen.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Oh I am 100% buying both and I would venture to guess anyhow who has both platforms and are wanting both games will have both games.

As far as what to play lets say both launch same week I am 100% playing Starfield first as SM2 being a single player game I usually take my time with those

But I expect SM2 first week of Nov so will have a good 2 months with Starfield first
Starfield is single player too as far as I know.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It’s gonna be buggy still I’d put money on that - just cus Microsoft is overseeing it doesn’t mean Bethesda is magically gonna start making bug free games
Why not? That's one of the perks of being acquired by a trillion dollar company. I'd place an avatar bet that it's probably the most bug free game they've ever made on release. Bethesda games are pretty incredible in their own right, for sure. Imagine Starfield releasing without bugs? That kind of news will spread fast in the gaming community, and make the game that much better.

Top Bottom