• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarForce copy-protection creates "hidden devices"

Mrbob

It is funny how people who warez games run into less hassles than those who buy full retail copies.

after reading that thread and the threads linked, it sounds rediculous... the hidden drivers cause conflucts with USB devices and can also use up t0 20% CPU... WTF!?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
This is why I immediately no-cd all games after installation. There's no reason I have to pay a penalty for being a lawful customer.

Mrbob

But this is much, much worse.

They are throwing frigging spyware on your computer. Nice way to help with copy protection. :(

Culex

Banned
I have these damn drivers on my PC, too. And the uninstaller from Star Force didn't get rid of them.

fenekku-gitsune said:
This is why I immediately no-cd all games after installation. There's no reason I have to pay a penalty for being a lawful customer.

I don't think No-CD cracks help. Once you install the game, you're installing that driver. Even if you use a no-CD crack, those drivers are still there.

Fuck. I don't have any of those drivers intalled on my box but I have a dreamcatcher game that I was planning to install and that was one of the "suspect" companies that uses the protection. :(

Edit:

Fucking confirmed. It *IS* on Broken Sword 3. That's real irony for you. I was going to install my legit and fully paid for PC version but to avoid that viral copy protection, I think I'll just rent the Xbox version and dump it to my Xbox HDD.

This is so stupid...Why even bother buying games if they're going to pull crap like this. Kind of reminds me of the whole Quicken fiasco when they would actually add a secret partition to your system HDD.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I thought this thread title said "StarFox" at first and I was confused as hell.

Brannon

PC games already have the ass end of the deal trying to handing multiple configurations, and they throw THIS CRAP at consumers too? As always, I'll support the No-CD option, and fuck all who support crap like this.

To the devs, what part of I CAN D/L A BETTER PLAYING PIRATED VERSION IF I WANTED do you NOT understand?

Seriously, for fuck's sake.

This will remove the that shit permanently, btw.

I completely agree with removing cd-checks. I think people who are going to pirate the game will do so whether a cd-check is in place or not. I think it would be great if companies just recognized this and didn't use them. For example, it was nice of Epic to remove the UT2004 cd-check in the first patch.

SKluck

Banned
Not on my PC... yet. But I plan on buying a codemasters game later this month (Soldiers), I hope that doesn't have this shit on it.

EA actually had the balls to put a cd check for Battlefield Vietnam before EVERY MAP loads. So my drive is needlessly spun up and load times bogged down to check if I bought the game up to 5 times in an hour.

Shit, I found that StarForce bullshit on my PC just now... It must have come from that TOCA 2 demo I installed last month, just like they said in that thread on Rage 3D. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom