• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starter is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

Not the brand.

Sitting in a hot lot. Car won't start. Here goes $300-500.

Not the starter. Was the battery.
It's A Sebring, so the battery is inside the wheel well. Must take the wheel off and rip into the car.

I'm paying $250 to have it done.

HiResDes

Screen-Shot-2013-09-18-at-11.17.17-AM.png

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Do you drive an older Civic by any chance? My car would do this. Then it would inevitably start after sundown.

malfcn

Sebring. It did this the other day but started. Now it won't. Almost had it. Next to a shop that I just need to get started.

Grinchy

Banned
What you want to do is sit in the car without your pants or underwear on. When the tow truck gets there, you casually get out of the car and reveal that the bottom half of your body is naked.

smurfx

get some go again
do you have a screw driver? try banging on the starter and see if your car starts.

edit: actually get a wrench and use it to tap the screw driver into the starter. just a few times is good enough and see if your car starts. try this a few times if it doesn't work.

Risible

Sitting in a hot lot. Car won't start. Here goes $300-500.

Get a long pole like a broomstick or something. Locate starter and bang on it with the stick. Try starting car.

Sometimes the bushings come loose and banging it resets them. Had a car I used to have to do it to occasionally.

Good luck!

What was said before hit it with something a few times, many times it will make it work again, so you can at least get home or save yourself a tow

malfcn

Walked to the shop. They had some guy come over and hook something to the battery and it started. Maybe it won't be so bad.

grumpy

I wasn't wearing my glasses and for a split second I thought the title was "Shatner is dead". Almost shat a brick.

GloveSlap

Walked to the shop. They had some guy come over and hook something to the battery and it started. Maybe it won't be so bad.

So you probably just have a dead battery. That is usually the culprit in my experience. Should cost around $75 to replace it.

Not the starter then dead battery would be the cheapest replacement and what you want to be the prob if you have to fix something

Did the car die while driving or was it parked and dead when you came back to it?

So he started your car with a booster? Than u have a bad battery or Alternator. If u replace the battery & it dies again than it's the Alternator.

But could it be jumpstarted in that case? Tbh, I really don't know.

Yep would jump start fine in almost all cases dince if it is a short its likely a low amperage draw wire, something like a brake light wire grounding off woulf cause a slow drain of the battery.

Op need moar info, would help narrow down

Main thing is was the car running when it died and if not how long wa the car off before you went to start it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom