• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starz on American Gods: "We don't see an end in sight"

Link.

During his presentation at this year’s Television Critics Association press junket, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht was open about the network’s desire to keep the success it saw with the first season of American Gods moving forward as it looks to the future. Ideally, Albrecht said, American Gods would go on indefinitely.

After being stuck in development hell for what seemed like ages before it finally found a home on Starz, American Gods became a surprise ratings hit for the network when it premiered early this year to stellar reviews. Given how little of Neil Gaiman’s novel the first season actually made it through, it’s clear that Starz always planned on stretching the source material out in order to give its ensemble of characters space to breathe. According to Albrecht, though, we may be in for more American Gods than anyone initially expected.

Said Albrecht:

“We are certainly on board for as long as the show makes sense for Starz. We don’t see an end in sight. It is a difficult show to do and wrangle, so I don’t know when the next season will be on the air, but as soon as possible.”
Albrecht went on to point out that the ultimate vision for American Gods is the result of a collaborative effort between Starz, its partner Freemantle, and Gaiman’s creative input, which can be interpreted in a couple of ways in terms of what we might see in the future.

American Gods’ first season covered about 15-20% of the book while adding in significant plot elements involving characters like Laura, Salim, and Mad Sweeney that were new. If the show were to go on for more than five or so seasons, it’s more than plausible that Starz might consider dipping into Anansi Boys, Gaiman’s 2005 spinoff novel about Anansi’s family, or Monarch of the Glen, a 2006 novella detailing Shadow Moon’s life after the events of American Gods.

Starz will have to get a little creative if it wants to achieve its goal of keeping American Gods going in perpetuity considering that Neil Gaiman, while open to it at some point in the future, has no plans to write a sequel to the book any time soon.

(Fuller and Gaiman want 3-5 seasons IIRC)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I mean, there are definite ways to continue the story after the end of the book. Hell, this article doesn't even mention Anansi Boys.

edit: I suck at reading.

VeeP

I really enjoyed the show, but at times I felt like they were dragging it out on purpose. If that's the case with future seasons, I'm probably out. Hopefully they can find a nice balance for the pace.

Stranya

I prefer it when series have a planned conclusion, rather than them going on interminably until they get cancelled.

Fury451

Banned
I really enjoyed the show, but at times I felt like they were dragging it out on purpose. If that's the case with future seasons, I'm probably out. Hopefully they can find a nice balance for the pace.

Yeah, that's the problem with adapting a book that isn't really a series. They can do side story spinoffs, but if you want to do the main plot line that should have a definite start and conclusion. And not last longer than it should.

UCBooties

"Having successfully monetized this product we see no reason not continuing to monetize it indefinitely. This will have no impact on quality or audience engagement."

hydruxo

Awesome. Gaiman said a few months back that they'd probably be able to get 5 seasons out of the book + expanded material. Then he's writing the sequel on the side so, which is still a long ways off, but by the time that comes out the show will have been several seasons in.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I fucking knew it. They want to keep milking this. Already saw it coming half way through the season when literally 3 sentences total of story progression happened.

Chris R

Glad I didn't watch past a few episodes this season then.

Should have been a 10 episode mini-series or something, not everything needs 23542 seasons.

I prefer it when series have a planned conclusion, rather than them going on interminably until they get cancelled.

The "problem" with most American TVs is that it's a story told as it goes along. Most dramatic shows today do have a planned conclusion, but it's expected things will change as they go along. So it's hard to make any concrete plans.

I'm sure the show will end when Fuller, Green, Gaiman and the other producers want it to and how they want it to. For better or worse.

hydruxo

I think people are taking his quote too literally. I doubt they meant "oh we're going to milk this thing for the next decade". He's essentially just saying they have faith in the show and are allowing Fuller to keep it going for as long as he sees fit.

As long as Fuller's the one doing it the whole time, I support it
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they changed showrunners once they're done covering the events of the book. Especially if they're going to shift perspective away from Shadow Moon. The concept of the show leaves it open to different interpretations.

Should have been a 10 episode mini-series or something, not everything needs 23542 seasons.

Why is the alternative to 23542 seasons a 10 episode mini-series? Why can't it be whatever the Showrunners want it to be?

This idea of "shows have to be 10 episodes or less" is just as toxic as "let's do as many seasons people will pay us". Just different sides of the coin.

I think specifically with AG there are a lot of other ideas outside of the book that can be creatively addressed in the show. Gaiman clearly as a lot of ideas and Fuller seems to love exploring beyond the parameters of the source material.

Just enjoy the thing or don't. Obsessing about episode counts seems silly.

Mike M

Nick N
A356jiI.gif

A whole series of episodes like the one about Mad Sweeney's back story? Leaning towards hard pass.

Not a show that needs to run forever, so I don't think this is something to be excited about.

Then again, it's a Bryan Fuller show and it's on Starz so I seriously doubt that it gets that many seasons.

Top Bottom