• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starz orders new ballet series 'Flesh and Bone' by Breaking Bad writer for early 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ballet Drama ‘Flesh And Bone’ Gets Series Order At Starz

'Flesh And Bone' follows a young ballet dancer, Claire, who has a distinctly troubled past, as she joins a prestigious ballet company in New York. The dark and gritty series will unflinchingly explore the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world.

The green light comes after an extensive nationwide search involving thousands of hopefuls resulted in the casting of dancer Sarah Hay (Black Swan) in the lead role.

0SwmV7J.png

She is joined by former American Ballet Theatre principal dancer Irina Dvorovenko, current American Ballet Theatre soloist Sascha Radetsky (Center Stage), Ballet Arizona company dancer Raychel Diane Weiner, and Emily Tyra (Boardwalk Empire). Additionally, Ethan Stiefel, star of the movies Center Stage and Center Stage: Turn It Up, joined the project as consultant and choreographer.

The series was created by Breaking Bad's Moira Walley-Beckett who co/wrote the following episodes:

Ozymandias (2013)
Gliding Over All (2012)
End Times (2011)
Bug (2011)
Bullet Points (2011)
Fly (2010)
Más (2010)
Over (2009)
Breakage (2009)

Valhelm

contribute something
Certainly not a project I'd expect a Breaking Bad writer to take on, but this could be great. I've always heard of the "sleazy side of ballet", but don't know much about it.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I've always heard of the "sleazy side of ballet", but don't know much about it.
The entire entertainment industry can be really fucked up in various ways. Dancer tends to have it pretty rough in regards to body issues and the standards at which they're always held to. This show could be as dark or darker than Black Swan if it wants to go there.

Valhelm

contribute something
I could imagine this show being the next big successful drama, after Mad Men wraps up. The lineup seems impressive, and it's a great concept.

Frost_Ace

Glad for Moira but this doesn't sound very interesting on paper, we'll see how it turns out, she's obviously very talented.

I'll be watching obviously.

J. Bravo

i might have to watch Fly again, because i don't understand what everyone loves about it. i didn't hate it, just don't get the nearly universal love for the episode.

also, will check this out. maybe i'll watch black swan first.

Draconian

Haha, it's hilarious that I just watched Fly tonight and I had no idea it was such a love it or hate it episode until my brother texted me if I'd gotten to it tonight. I can understand why some hate it, but I think it's a fantastic episode that the show earned through the development of the Walt and Jesse characters. I also feel that the show moves at a quick enough pace to where I am perfectly fine with them putting the brakes on to have an episode to sort of sit back and reflect on where the characters and the audience are in the show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
David Michôd To Direct First Episode Of Starz’s Ballet Drama Series ‘Flesh And Bone’

Australian filmmaker David Michôd (Animal Kingdom) will direct the first episode of Starz‘s new drama series Flesh And Bone.

Michôd made his feature debut as a writer and director of Sundance winner Animal Kingdom. His follow-up, The Rover, stars Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson. “I’m entirely enamored of the visual, visceral, artful way David tells story,” said Walley-Beckett. “His style and sensibility is very much in alignment with my vision of my show.” This is Michôd’s second TV directing gig and his first pilot.

He previously helmed an episode of Mike White’s HBO comedy Enlightened.

No one from Bunheads in this ? It looks like a perfect opportunity and even though it was a comedy Bunheads had some bits on how grueling it can be to train ballet.

Sasha, jokingly to a dancer doing non stop spins: "Wow, your shoes should be red"
Dancer, dead serious: "I wrap my feet in cellophane so the blood does not soak through"

Lost interest after seeing episode Fly on the resume.

You had to read past Ozymandias to get to that credit. Confused as to how you could dismiss her based on Fly after knowing she did Ozymandias.

Moira doing ANYTHING is going to be worth watching. She earned a ton of credit with her work on Breaking Bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom