• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Guide to the new Fall 2010 TV Series (What are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevoDS

Concept shamelessly stolen from Replicant's thread for 2009 series, which I've kept as a bookmark for the better part of last year as a really useful reference for premiere dates, new shows I might have missed and general descriptions of new shows, both comedy and drama this time around. For simplicity's sake, I'm limiting myself to broadcast shows, but feel free to mention and talk about cable shows you want to watch, too. Without further ado...

CBS

Mike & Molly
Comedy
Premieres September 20

2afc3fb.jpg

What is it?: Police officer Mike Biggs knows his way around the streets. As a cop, Mike's not scared of anything -- except dating, so he's joined Overeaters Anonymous to lose those extra pounds and gain some much-needed confidence. When he meets Molly at a meeting, the attraction is immediate, and suddenly Mike is excited about the prospect of a new life. But now he must find the willpower to give up his beloved junk food for the apple of his eye.

When's it airing?: Mondays 9:30PM, right after the ratings juggernaut Two and a Half Men

Other interesting details:
-The show is created by Chuck Lorre, whose existing shows Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory fed really well off each other last year. Will Mike & Molly accomplish the same feat?
-Pilot reviews were very negative. The most common criticisms are that it's uninspired, and the premise is focused on the characters' weight, in a fairly insulting fashion.

Hawaii Five-0
Police Procedural
Premieres September 20

okolf7.jpg

What is it?: HAWAII FIVE-0 is a contemporary take on the classic series about a new elite federalized task force whose mission is to wipe out the crime that washes up on the Islands’ sun-drenched beaches. Detective Steve McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin), a decorated Naval officer turned cop, returns to Oahu to investigate his father’s murder and stays after Hawaii’s governor persuades him to head up the new team: his rules, her backing, no red tape and full blanket immunity to hunt down the biggest “game” in town. Joining McGarrett is Detective Danny “Danno” Williams (Scott Caan), a newly relocated ex-New Jersey cop who prefers skyscrapers to the coastline but is committed to keeping the Islands safe for his 8-year-old daughter; and Chin Ho Kelly (Daniel Dae Kim), an ex-Honolulu Police Detective wrongly accused of corruption and relegated to a federal security patrol, who is also a former protégé of McGarrett’s father. Chin’s cousin, Kono (Grace Park), is a beautiful and fearless native, fresh out of the academy and eager to establish herself among the department’s elite. McGarrett vows to bring closure to his father’s case while the state’s brash new FIVE-0 unit, who may spar and jest among themselves, is determined to eliminate the seedy elements from the 50th state.

When's it airing?: Mondays 10PM

-The show's neither a remake nor a continuity. It takes parts of the 1968 series' premise, and adapts it to today's society.
- Lost fans, rejoice! Daniel Dae Kim (Jin) is starring!

The Defenders
Law Dramedy
Premieres September 22

aokwaf.jpg

What is it?: A dramedy about two defense attorneys practicing law in Las Vegas who stop at nothing to help their clients. Heading the firm of Morelli & Kaczmarek are Nick Morelli, who is always willing to take on those challenging cases despite the fact that his marriage is heading towards divorce, and Pete Kaczmarek, a playboy who is equally as talented at practicing law as he is chasing women and fast cars. No case is too big or small for these eccentric lawyers, who can always be counted on to put everything they have on protecting and defending their clients in Sin City.

When's it airing?: Wednesdays, 10PM

Other interesting details: Few and far between. This seems like a typical CBS procedural, with nothing really sticking out.

Shit My Dad Says (officially censored to $#*! My Dad Says)
Comedy
Premieres September 23

2hdyxpk.jpg

What is it?:$#*! MY DAD SAYS, based on the popular Twitter feed by Justin Halpern, stars Emmy Award winner William Shatner as Ed Goodson, a forthright and opinionated dad who relishes expressing his unsolicited and often wildly politically incorrect observations to anyone within earshot. Nobody is immune from Ed's rants, including his sons, Henry, a struggling writer-turned-unpaid blogger; and Vince (Will Sasso), the meek half of his husband/wife real estate duo with domineering Kathleen (Nicole Sullivan). When Henry finds he can no longer afford to pay rent to his pretty roommate -- and secret admirer -- Sam (Stephanie Lemelin), Ed reveals a soft spot and invites Henry to move in with him. Henry agrees, knowing that the verbal assault will not abate and now there will be no escape. Describing their father/son relationship is tricky - but Ed will easily come up with a few choice words.

When's it airing?: Thursday 8:30, following The Big Bang Theory and against NBC's 30 Rock

Other interesting tidbits:
-The story based on a Twitter feed is somewhat clever
-CBS is hoping for The Big Bang Theory to provide a good lead-in and beat NBC's long-standing Comedy Thursday. Will they succeed?
-William Shatner is starring.

Blue Bloods
Crime Drama
Premieres September 24

f0ay36.jpg

What is it? This crime drama centers around The Reagan's, a multi-generational family of New York City cops. Patriarch Frank is the New York Chief of Police who rules his brood much like he does with the cops on his force. Frank's son Danny is a seasoned detective on the force, and his youngest son Jamie has decided to join the force despite having just earned his law degree from Harvard. When Jamie is asked to take part in a covert police investigation, what he uncovers could put the family's legacy in jeopardy and threaten to tear them apart forever.

When's it airing? Fridays, 10PM

Other interesting tidbits: Nothing stands out. Judging by the time slot, CBS agrees.

NBC

The Event
Thriller/Conspiracy Drama
Premieres September 20

16gyhk2.jpg

What is it?: Jason Ritter stars as Sean Walker in this high-octane drama about an "Everyman" searching for his missing fiancée, whose disappearance leads Walker to uncover one of the biggest cover-ups in U.S. history.

When's it airing?: Mondays 9PM, following Chuck.
Watch that, too! </shameless plug>

-NBC appears to have a lot of faith in The Event to fill the void left by 24's departure. Speaking of which, it's scheduled in 24's former timeslot.
-Reviews seem positive so far.

Chase
Crime Drama
Premieres September 20

2yy9m9u.jpg

What is it?: Jerry Bruckheimer brings his magic to the small screen with this exciting crime drama about a team of U.S. Marshalls who are hunting down some of American's most vile and dangerous fugitives. The team is led by U.S. Marshal Annie Frost, a rough and tough deputy whose Texas upbringing gives her a unique advantage in tracking down the bad guys.

When's it airing?: Mondays, 10PM

Other interesting stuff:
-Legendary procedural...producer Jerry Bruckheimer is producing.
-Reviews are cautiously positive so far.

Undercovers
Spy Dramedy
Premieres September 22

29bdh75.jpg

What is it? J.J. Abrams brings his brilliant mind back to television with this thrilling spy drama. Steven and Samantha Bloom appear to be your average married couple, but little do their friends and neighbors know that they are actually retired CIA agents. When their former colleague and good friend Nash goes missing while on assignment, the two are forced back into the spy game and tasked with locating Nash. During their mission, Samantha and Steven realize that the excitement that comes from being spies might just be exactly what they need to repair their dull marriage.

When's it airing? Wednesdays, 8PM.

-Creator J.J. Abrams also directed the pilot episode, the first time he's done so for any series since Lost.
-He describes the series as lighter in tone and funnier than his former spy series Alias (of which, by the way, a remake/reboot may be in the cards for the 2011-2012 season).
-It gathered some press coverage last winter for having two black leads, a very rare occurence in American television (commendable effort)
-NBC has high hopes for this costly series; it's in an easy time slot, and its creator has good clout in the business. Will it be enough?

Law & Order: Los Angeles (commonly called LOLA or LO:LA, for better or for worse)
Police Procedural/Crime Drama
Premieres September 22

m82qfp.jpg

What is it? Really? Do you have to ask?

When's it airing? Wednesdays 10PM

-It's somewhat funny that NBC would cancel the Law & Order mothership only to bring a new spinoff in its place but hey, who am I to judge?

Outsourced
Office Comedy
Premieres September 23

25fnlon.jpg

What is it? "Outsourced" is a comedy where the Midwest meets the exotic East in a hilarious culture clash. The series centers on the all-American company Mid America Novelties that sells whoopee cushions, foam fingers and wallets made of bacon -- and whose call center has suddenly been outsourced to India. Todd Dempsy (Ben Rappaport, off-Broadway's "The Gingerbread House") is the new company's manager who learns that he's being transferred to India to run the operation.

When's it airing? Thursdays 9:30PM, following The Office

-I'm not sure about reviews, but the released clips are terrible. Worse than so-bad-it's-good.
-With The Office as a lead-in, it's among the best-placed of NBC's new shows to succeed. But then again, both 30 Rock and Community had significant drops from their lead-in in this slot, so success is far from guaranteed.
-As far as I know, Outsourced is the only NBC comedy besides Parks & Recreation without a full-season order. Thus, Parks is likely to take the slot after the holidays, even if Outsourced ends up getting a renewal.
-With this, NBC's Thursday line-up now has 3 office comedies versus two of another type.

Outlaw (formerly known as Garza)
Law Drama
Premieres September 24

103z7f6.gif

What is it? After coming to the realization that the justice system is seriously flawed, former U.S. Supreme Court justice Cyrus Garza leaves behind his powerful seat on the bench to practice law once again. Using his inside knowledge of the system to his advantage, Garza will represent "the little guy," but not without ruffling a few feathers along the way.

When's it airing? Fridays 10PM

-Outlaw is produced by Conaco, Conan O'Brien's production company. Yes, the same Conan that NBC ousted just 6 months ago during the Lenocalypse.
-Terrible time slot for a new show. Is NBC trying to screw Conan again or is it genuinely bad?

Fox

Lone Star
Thriller/Drama
Premieres September 20

1hedyh.jpg

What is it? In Houston, Texas the very charming Bob Allen is married to Cat, whose father Clint is the patriarch of one of the richest oil families in the country. His plans for the future are to position himself high enough in the oil company so he can one day clean them out. Hundreds of miles away in Midland, Texas, Robert Allen has a girlfriend named Lindsay and spends his time bilking investors out of their hard-earned cash. Bob and Robert happen to be the same man, living two lives -- which are coming dangerously close to colliding.

When's it airing? Mondays 9PM. The fight between this and NBC's The Event could be interesting.

-One of very few new Fox shows; they have the best problem ever: they don't have enough time slots to introduce new ones since they're all doing so well.

Raising Hope
Family Comedy
Premieres September 21

1538rac.jpg

What is it? Jimmy Chance, who hasn't made the best decisions in life, is trying his best to raise his daughter with the help of his family who didn't do the best job raising him as a child.

When's it airing? Tuesdays 9PM

-Fox hasn't had a lot of luck with live action comedies. Will they finally break out with their latest one-hour block?

Running Wilde
Comedy
Premieres September 21

mr485g.jpg

What is it? Will Arnett stars as a Beverly Hills jackass who ends up falling in love with Emmy Kadubic (played by Keri Russell), a charitable tree hugger, who hates his lifestyle and moral code.

When's it airing? Tuesdays, 9:30PM

-The series sports the same creator as the cult comedy Arrested Development
-The second part of Fox's only live-action comedy block

ABC

No Ordinary Family
Superhero Dramedy
Premieres September 28

5x8kyt.jpg

What is it? The Powells are about to go from ordinary to extraordinary. After 16 years of marriage, Jim and Stephanie's relationship lacks the spark it once had, and their family life now consists of balancing work and their two children, leaving little time for family bonding. During a family vacation set up by Jim in an attempt to reconnect, their plane crashes into the Amazon River. But this is where the fun starts for the Powells, as they soon discover that something's not quite right. Each of them now possesses unique and distinct superpowers.

When's it airing? Tuesdays 8PM

-ABC's betting big on this show; it probably has the most buzz out of all their new series
-The family setting seems to be a winning formula at ABC, with last year's Modern Family being a breakout hit and this one following.
-The pilot episode was made available a few weeks ago, and is all over the internet by now.

Detroit 1-8-7
Crime Drama
Premieres September 21

bexc3s.jpg

What is it? Michael Imperioli returns to television in this gritty crime drama set in Detroit. The series puts the viewer in the front seat of the action as camera crews film the Homicide Unit as part of a documentary about fighting crime on the dangerous streets of Detroit. Crews not only get a firsthand look into how the unit rolls in the city with the highest murder rate, but how the job affects the personal lives of the diverse group of detectives on the job.

When's it airing? Tuesdays 10PM

Other interesting tidbits: None in particular. It's a crime drama, which, for better or for worse, says all that needs to be said.

Better With You
Comedy
Premieres September 22

bipcic.jpg

What is it? Joanna Garcia and Jennifer Finnigan star as sisters in different stages of their romantic relationships. One is in a long term, unmarried relationship, while the other gets pregnant and marries her new boyfriend.

When's it airing? Wednesdays 8:30PM, leading into Modern Family.

-ABC's hoping that this will perform well enough to complete their Wednesday comedy lineup, still following a somewhat loose family theme.

The Whole Truth
Legal Drama
Premieres September 22

29zzgag.jpg

What is it? Starring Joely Richardson and Rob Morrow as Kathryn and Jimmy, two attorneys from different backgrounds who were friends in law school and are now pitted against one another regularly as Kathryn works for the D.A.’s office and Jimmy is a criminal defense attorney.

When's it airing? Wednesdays 10PM

Other interesting stuff: Nothing in particular.

My Generation
Drama
Premieres September 23

2hfnvyu.jpg

What is it? A lot can happen in 10 years and the class of 2000 from Greenbelt High School in Austin, TX are no exception to the rule. When they were seniors in high school, a documentary crew followed a group high schoolers during their senior year and have returned 10 years later to catch up with the class of 2000 to see if they have followed through on their hopes and dreams. What they'll find is that no matter how hard you plan for the future, even the best-laid plans don't always turn out the way they're supposed to in the end -- but it doesn't necessarily mean it's too late to change your destiny.

When's it airing? Thursdays 8PM

Other interesting tidbits: This appears to be a sort of middle ground between competition Bones and the CBS and NBC comedies. Can it find a niche in that slot?

The CW

Nikita
Spy Drama
Premieres September 9

11rygsn.jpg

What is it? The '90s cult-classic returns to television with this remake about a young woman who is framed for murder, sentenced to death, and then forced to become an assassin for a covert branch of the government called Division after they fake her execution. When she realizes that she has been betrayed by everyone she thought she could trust, Nikita goes AWOL and goes on a mission to save future victims and expose this covert operation.

When's it airing? Thursdays 9PM

-Yes, this is the third version of Nikita's story that we're about to see.
-One more spy show joins the likes of Covert Affairs and Undercovers in this 2010-2011 season. Could we be witnessing a resurgence of the spy genre?

Hellcats
Teen Drama
Premieres September 8

whyvww.jpg

What is it? Marti Perkins has it all -- looks, smarts, talent, and a scholarship to Lancer University to study pre-law. Her world is turned complete upside down when she loses her scholarship and must use her skills as a gymnast to join the legendary cheerleading team. Marti manages to make the team, but she is devastated when she enters a "world of camaraderie, backstabbing and the intersection of sports, backroom academia and big money."

When's it airing? Wednesdays 9PM

I'll update the post if I've forgotten something or if something's wrong. Please tell me of any mistake you find. Hope this is as useful to you guys as last year's was for me when I was just getting into TV again :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, Television fucking sucks. I've had to suffer through ads for the new NBC shows and they all look like terrible, especially the Event and Chase shit. Enough with the shitty crime dramas.

Thank god for 30 Rock and Madmen.

Robot 492

Banned
None of it.

I just wish they'd make more shows about cops and lawyers. God knows we don't have enough of those.

Hex

Banned
A show trying to get funny ha has out of out sourcing, fucking genius.
What a fucking shit hole.

cory64

Most excited for Boardwalk Empire, Lonestar, and The Walking Dead.
Will try out The Event and Running Wilde, maybe Undercovers, No Ordinary Family, and Raising Hope as well.

harSon

Banned
Boardwalk Empire
Under Covers
The Event - Despite the fact that the advertising campaign for the film is beyond annoying, the show itself still seems to be relatively interesting.
The Walking Dead

And I'll continue watching Sons of Anarchy.

Also, it's nice to see some much needed diversity within American television.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Not one of these shows sparks my interest. Running Wilde could be good, but it may have too much Arnett. I only liked him Arrested Development in doses.

gdt

z072707walking_dead.jpg

the-walking-dead-one-sheet.jpg

Boardwalk Empire too, of course. I'll probably wait for some feedback on every other new show.

Xeke

Banned
Uh, I don't get how people like half that garbage on network TV. I'll watch It's Always Sunny and South Park like I always do.

RevoDS

hamchan said:
Oh yes Boardwalk Empire and Walking Dead.

Why are they not on this list?

>:-(

Do you have any idea how long it would take to include cable shows along with broadcast ones? There's only 5 broadcast networks. There's hundreds of cable ones. Perhaps a bullet list is possible, but more than that isn't really feasible.

I didn't want to add it to the OP, but personally I'm watching The Event, Undercovers, Lonestar and No Ordinary Family. Fox's comedies seem alright, I guess. The rest seems...meh-ish.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The Will Arnett show in the OP is the only one that manages to interest me. The man is awesome.
Then again, Sit Down and Shut Up proved that "By the creators of Arrested Development" isn't always a good thing.

The HBO show with Steve Buscemi looks very promising, though. At least we have that and some good shows returning.

hamchan

RevoDS said:
Do you have any idea how long it would take to include cable shows along with broadcast ones? There's only 5 broadcast networks. There's hundreds of cable ones. Perhaps a bullet list is possible, but more than that isn't really feasible.

Well, include the shows GAF most cares about. Pretty obvious which ones from this thread :lol

giga

Network television becoming more of a joke than it already is.

HBO and AMC hold the only ones to look forward to.

Talon

My Generation will be successful despite its inevitable shittiness. Ugh.

Also, I love this:
The team is led by U.S. Marshal Annie Frost, a rough and tough deputy whose Texas upbringing gives her a unique advantage in tracking down the bad guys.
:lol

vazel

Banned
Salazar said:
Age is one of the happier possibilities. What in particular interests you ?
All of it. Don't know if you know but in the US CBS has a reputation for being for old people. NBC is for rich people. FOX is for low brow. Too bad UPN isn't around anymore, I loved all the jokes about that channel, it was either a channel that no one watched or a channel for black people that no one watched.

Xeke

Banned
RevoDS said:

I didn't want to add it to the OP, but personally I'm watching The Event, Undercovers, Lonestar and No Ordinary Family. Fox's comedies seem alright, I guess. The rest seems...meh-ish.

Cable shows > network shows.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Talon- said:
My Generation will be successful despite its inevitable shittiness. Ugh.

Also, I love this:

:lol

I vomit a little in my mouth everytime I see that ad where she's grappling with a bad guy and he says
DIDN'T YOUR MOTHER TEACH YOU NOT TO PLAY WITH GUNS
and she says
MY MOTHER DIED WHEN I WAS 8...SO NO
then flips the guy and takes him down. It has to be a parody.

jtb

Banned
The fact that My Generation reads like a shameless ripoff of Seven Up is sad. The fact that it's fictional takes away any potential reason for this show to exist.

Looks like I'll just be watching Boardwalk Empire and Walking Dead, and might give Undercovers a shot.

Salazar

vazel said:
All of it. Don't know if you know but in the US CBS has a reputation for being for old people. NBC is for rich people. FOX is for low brow. Too bad UPN isn't around anymore, I loved all the jokes about that channel, it was either a channel that no one watched or a channel for black people that no one watched.

Yep. Start researching mobility scooters and meal delivery :lol You're finished, son.

Seems like every new show (that is being shown on the broadcast channels, go cable!) is going to be garbage.

Though, Boardwalk Empire and Walking Dead are looking to be amazing! Along with Chuck, my fall season is already set.

Will Watch:
Nikita
The Event
Chase

May Watch:
Hawaii
Shit My Dad Says
No Ordinary Family

I still need to catch up on Community and Modern Family. Fuck Hulu and DVDs.

Boardwalk Empire, Luck and The Walking Dead for me.

Maaaaybe Running Wilde and The Event too, Undercovers will be shite. Was tempted to see Hawaii Five O because of Jin and Boomer (the latter wearing bikinis 90 percent of the time nonetheless). But throwing that douchey son of James Caan killed it for me.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
All those shows look terrible. :/ Only shows I'm watching are Community, 30 Rock, Office, and the Mentalist.

sk3

Banned
The last few years have been pretty dreadful for new shows on network TV. I will be sticking with returning shows and whatever fx/amc/a&e kick out.

harSon

Banned
Discotheque said:
Boardwalk Empire, Luck and The Walking Dead for me.

Maaaaybe Running Wilde and The Event too, Undercovers will be shite. Was tempted to see Hawaii Five O because of Jin and Boomer (the latter wearing bikinis 90 percent of the time nonetheless). But throwing that douchey son of James Caan killed it for me.

I'm not quite sure why so many people are down on the show. It's by no means original, which is pretty commonplace within television in general, but it looks to be relatively well done.

Hex

Banned
And christ, the whole CW company needs to be slagged from orbit, the Nikita show looks like utter shit.
I loved the old show with Peta Wilson, no idea why but it clicked.
The characters were great, it took itself about as seriously as your usual James Bond -Made in Canada type show did back then and still pop the DVDs in and marathon it now and then.

I agree with the Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom