• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starz orders new ballet series 'Flesh and Bone' by Breaking Bad writer for early 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

Amazing that its so hip to hate Fly that a list of some of the best episodes in the series still leads to that being zeroed in on.

I hope you guys realize you're just doing the 20 something internet male thing and overreacting to something because of the hyperbole of others. Time to grow up.

The Breaking Bad fan base is rarely capable of having a healthy disagreement since almost any argument will be turned right up to 11. The moment a polarizing subject comes up, it eclipses everything else and the discussion inevitably goes to shit.

For whatever reason, the best shows seem to attract the most insufferable fans.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Starz Ballet Drama ‘Flesh And Bone’ To Become Limited Series

“Moira is one of the most talented auteurs in television today, and the work she and her team have done on Flesh and Bone is nothing short of spectacular,” Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said in a statement to Deadline. “It is a tremendous undertaking to mix drama and dance, all the while keeping the world and story as authentic as possible, and Moira has accomplished this brilliantly. After seeing all the film, we realized this is not serialized television, but rather an eight-hour movie with a satisfying end for the audience. Therefore, we believe the best way to present Flesh and Bone is as a limited series. This format has been incredibly successful for Starz in terms of viewership, critical acclaim and awards recognition, and is the new growing format for true auteur-driven storytelling in premium TV today.”

In this case, limited series = miniseries.

:I

Ooh. Writer with a solid pedigree, interesting cast.. This could be good. Starz is slowly becoming a genuinely exciting corner of the cable TV world.

my mom says ballet dancers swallow cotton balls soaked in lemon juice to fill their stomachs and chain smoke in order to stay so skinny.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'll still probably watch, but that's a little disheartening. I wonder if it didn't turn out that great.

Yeah, I'm wondering what exactly happened? I don't think it's usual for a show that is originally planned as an ongoing series (not to mention that it had been a passion project for Moira Walley-Beckett) to be retrofitted into a miniseries, so I wonder if Starz was disappointed with the quality? (Which would be saying something considering they stuck with Magic City and Boss for two seasons...)

Then again, the ballet dancers working on the show are all highly esteemed and have very busy schedules, so perhaps it was too hard to get them all back for a second season?

Or maybe it's as they said and they just all mutually realized that the thing they created is a complete work that didn't need added to. I hope that's the case.

Regardless, I'm still really looking forward to the series.

my mom says ballet dancers swallow cotton balls soaked in lemon juice to fill their stomachs and chain smoke in order to stay so skinny.

The writers behind the show were striving to be as authentic as possible, so I wouldn't be surprised if they touched on that in the show.

Lost interest after seeing episode Fly on the resume.

Exy6JNg.gif

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
they couldn't have chosen a less interesting premise if they tried, for my tastes. But maybe it will be a must watch, who knows

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
CC3VM8K.jpg

- TVLine: Flesh and Bone: Starz Ballet Drama Gets Premiere Date, On-Pointe Poster

The curtain will rise on Flesh and Bone, Starz’s limited series about the competitive world of professional ballet, on Sunday, Nov. 8, the network announced Thursday.

The drama follows young, talented, self-destructive dancer Claire (played by Sarah Hay, Black Swan) as she navigates “the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world.” Over the course of the eight-hour series, Claire is pushed to her limits by her ballet company’s artistic director (Ben Daniels, House of Cards) and shaken by the arrival of an unwelcome visitor from her past.

Fury451

Banned
Fly was a great episode, and I've never understood the hate for it.

She's been a writer on some killer tv episodes here, so this at least has a good caliber behind it.

TVexperto

People who hate "Fly" confuse the fuck out of me.

I dont know why but I could never finish the episode when it originally aired, I thought it was borderline boring but during my Breaking Bad rewatch 2 years ago I fell in love with that episode. I think I started to appreciate those slow episodes more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Whoa, it just occurred to me that this will be airing on Sundays. This will be the first show that Starz has ever aired on a Sunday (iirc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom