• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

{State of Play] New Forspoken Trailer

Valonquar

Trouble-With-Tumbleweed.gif

For some reason this game isn't really doing it for me, I had the same issues with GOTG, but thankfully, I gave it a chance when it went on sale, enjoyed every single bit of it. I hope this is another similar case of poor marketing lol.

Hunnybun

I thought it looked a bit better in the SOP, but watching it back now, Christ. Looks fucking TERRIBLE, still.

Wtf are they doing over there? Hands down the ugliest PS5 game I've seen yet. And one of the most drastic downgrades I've ever seen. Like, they must have just straight lied about the original reveal running on the PS5, right? It looked at least a generation better than this shit.

Fbh

The combat looks really fun.
Also notice how nicer it seems when it just focuses on the world and gameplay instead of non stop annoying dialogue.

Last edited:
I thought it looked a bit better in the SOP, but watching it back now, Christ. Looks fucking TERRIBLE, still.

Wtf are they doing over there? Hands down the ugliest PS5 game I've seen yet. And one of the most drastic downgrades I've ever seen. Like, they must have just straight lied about the original reveal running on the PS5, right? It looked at least a generation better than this shit.

When it was first revealed I thought it looked slick. Now it looks a bit rough. Ghosts on PS4 Pro looks more impressive imo.

Hunnybun

When it was first revealed I thought it looked slick. Now it looks a bit rough. Ghosts on PS4 Pro looks more impressive imo.

I'm conscious of straying into hyperbole, but I genuinely think it looks worse than an average PS4 title. It's miles behind average next gen stuff like Deathloop and Returnal. And just completely and utterly obliterated by the best visuals like Horizon 2 and R&C.

Tarkus98

Definitely digging the style and game play. The water effects though when she was surfing through looked pretty dicey so room for improvement with the delay.
Tbh haven't had this on my radar until well now. Is this an action/RPG game?

I'm conscious of straying into hyperbole, but I genuinely think it looks worse than an average PS4 title. It's miles behind average next gen stuff like Deathloop and Returnal. And just completely and utterly obliterated by the best visuals like Horizon 2 and R&C.

I wasn’t overly impressed with Returnal tbh

Horizon and R&C on the other hand, definitely. It doesn’t get mentioned much but I thought the Ratchet Remaster on PS4 was great looking too.

[Sigma]

Good trailer. The gameplay and visuals looks good, it's just the rest kinda seems weirdly off. Im not convinced on the writing/dialogue even though it's suppose to be from decent writers?!. At the end of the day though, gameplay is king to me so if it's really good in that regards, that's what matters the most with me with these type of games.

Hunnybun

I wasn’t overly impressed with Returnal tbh

Horizon and R&C on the other hand, definitely. It doesn’t get mentioned much but I thought the Ratchet Remaster on PS4 was great looking too.

IMO Returnal was a real mixed bag. Sometimes it was just incredibly beautiful, and then others it was pretty rough. On the whole though I thought it was a reasonable early next gen game.

PS4 Ratchet was indeed great looking. Most SIE games were, tbf.

Kuranghi

I think that looks pretty cool actually. Much better than previous times thanks yahweh, I don't believe there were any really egregious frame drops/frame-pacing issues this time, outside of when she did a mega spell, but that may be a pause for effect (but could be framedrop on heavy alpha effect overlap/usage ofc).

Even though I said the former I do think its not a game you want to play at 30fps and thats why this looks less than stellar, hardly any motion blur makes everything look so jerky and so much fast movement/animations makes that double bad. It will be a bum to lose IQ but even if you have to go to ~1080p on this one and it looks crusty/blurry from fixing the crust, then its probably still worth it.

CamHostage

Hands down the ugliest PS5 game I've seen yet. And one of the most drastic downgrades I've ever seen. Like, they must have just straight lied about the original reveal running on the PS5, right? It looked at least a generation better than this shit.

...?

There were plenty of issues in the visuals back then, I don't see the teaser as being miles away. Comparing them, the foliage system was cleaner, maybe (there's no like-for-like shots, and comparable highlands is more uniform and mossy now but it's different terrain and flocked much more heavily; there's greater variety when she's surfing, plus foliage is now more responsive than say Horizon FW so there's that, but then the draw-in is very apparent.) Also the big belly-fire dragon at the end of the teaser is worse than the same dragon at the beginning of the SoP trailer, but that was probably CGI or the cutscene models; they show a glowing wolf at the beginning of the teaser and it's a pretty standard glow effect. Otherwise what else from 2020 would seem unfathomable today, if not already represented in the Forspoken clips we've seen since? I'm not seeing a gen's difference; some things about the reveal teaser were great but the mechanics, scope, and FX has been fairly consistent.

Last edited:
Gameplay, style, monster design - it just all looks so damn good. The only thing that stands out as this is, while looking ok, it doesn't really seem like it should be new gen only. I wonder what the chances are it'll be on PS4 too.

Larxia

I think the trailer looks amazing. The traversal, the combats, the flow, the animations, it all looks super fun, and the surf is a really nice bonus point for me too, I love it.

HOWEVER, I would still be super cautious, because while the combats do look amazing on video, Final Fantasy XV does too, but once you are actually playing it it's a whole different thing with a very weird feeling, where you don't really control the action and it's kind of automatic.
It's difficult to explain to someone who never played it, but people who did play it will probably understand what I mean. In videos, you could think Final Fantasy XV plays like Kingdom Hearts X Devil May Cry, but it's not the case at all.

Last edited:
I’m still really hype for this, looks like the jrpg version of Prototype or something. I’m expecting a fun sandbox to just run around in and blow stuff up with magic

Also, i liked FFXV’s combat so theres almost no way i can not like this, even teh animations look lifted from FFXV. My problem with the latter was the storytelling and pacing but i dont really have the same expectations for this games story

Last edited:
Top Bottom